INSTAGRAM

BBC Radio 2

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cp2ykWrtqxs/

‘Even from a young age I could see you were a star’ 🌟

@mikainstagram’s message for @maemuller is so sweet! 🥺

Twitter

@maemuller_ receives a message from the one and only @mikasounds on @BBCRadio2

YouTube

335839617_153652580939527_1985079808497256696_n.thumb.jpg.6ae536309d577a731ae5d89c8edd95f5.jpg

Edited by Kumazzz
update
  • Like 4

Twitter

BBC One Show

BBC ONE SHOW

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001jwlt

10/03/2023

Alex Jones and Jermaine Jenas are joined by Cheryl and Jake Wood, Mae Muller gives us an exclusive behind the scenes look at where her Eurovision journey began, plus Rylan relives his gruelling Comic Relief challenge.

Credits

Role Contributor
Presenter Alex Jones
Presenter Jermaine Jenas
Interviewed Guest Cheryl
Interviewed Guest Jake Wood
Interviewed Guest Mae Muller
Participant Rylan
Editor Joanne Vaughan-Jones

BBCOne-TheOneShow10_03_2023.thumb.jpg.ae4f079fc9a8f6b7ca5fe66d35c57b47.jpg

A part of Mae mentions Grace Kelly video.

YouTube

Edited by Kumazzz
update
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/17/2023 at 6:21 AM, Kumazzz said:

INSTAGRAM

BBC Radio 2

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cp2ykWrtqxs/

‘Even from a young age I could see you were a star’ 🌟

@mikainstagram’s message for @maemuller is so sweet! 🥺

Twitter

@maemuller_ receives a message from the one and only @mikasounds on @BBCRadio2

YouTube

335839617_153652580939527_1985079808497256696_n.thumb.jpg.6ae536309d577a731ae5d89c8edd95f5.jpg

I was wondering about that Mika mentioned Mae Muller's teeth....

Probably Mika watched the TV-show or read the article.

METRO

https://metro.co.uk/2022/09/15/never-mind-the-buzzcocks-mae-muller-discusses-featuring-in-mika-video-17385423/

Thursday 15 Sep 2022 8:05 pm

Never Mind the Buzzcocks: Mae Muller discusses featuring in Mika video

Mae Muller had her first brush with fame thanks to her pearly whites, winning a part in a Mika music video because the singer was a fan of them.

The 25-year-old is now a popstar in her own right, and as well as hitting the UK charts with single Better Days, has supported the likes of Little Mix on tour.

But as a child, Mae had her first taste of stardom when she successfully auditioned for a role in a video for Mika, who went on to win a Brit Award and score a Grammy Award nomination.

For the video for his UK number one charting single Grace Kelly, based on the Hollywood icon, a young Mae appeared alongside the 39-year-old.

Mae, sporting a cute yellow dress with puffy sleeves, is singing along on top of a piano while the judge on the Italian version of X Factor blasts out his anthem in an opulently decorated room.

Playing a clip of the video on Wednesday night’s Never Mind the Buzzcocks, hosted by comedian and Taskmaster Greg Davies, Mae revealed how she secured the pat at such a young age.

‘I actually got it based on how f****d up my teeth were, apparently,’ she told the 54-year-old.

Laughing, the Man Down creator said: ‘Is that what Mika demanded?’

Mae continued: ‘I guess they saw all the auditions and he went, “She’s got some real intense teeth. That’s good, we like that”.’

Joking, Greg added: ‘To be fair Mika’s got a point hasn’t he?’

Comedian Jamali Maddix, who co-stars on the comeback show with Noel Fielding and Daisy May Cooper, quipped: ‘They’re my teeth,’ while GBBO presenter Noel said in mock horror: ‘I can’t believe you gave your old teeth to Jamali.’

Shrugging, Mae replied: ‘Don’t worry, don’t worry about it.’

Greg has previously told Metro.co.uk he just ‘likes the chaos’ on the rebooted Never Mind The Buzzcocks, when it first launched.

He added: ‘I think when we got to know each other after a couple, it was chaotic enough for me and I just think it will get more and more so as the series goes on. I hope so.’

This clip from

https://uk.knews.media/news/never-mind-the-buzzcocks-mae-muller-discusses-featuring-in-mika-video/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

BBC Radio 2

Scott Mills
Getting to know Mae Muller!

Released On: 21 Mar 2023
Available for 29 days

Catching up with this year's UK Eurovision entrant Mae Muller as she prepares for the competition.

Plus, Scott's live in the host city of Liverpool!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001jzv5

Tracklist

• 1 Whitney Houston I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)
  • 2 DNCE Cake By The Ocean
  • 3 Eternal I Wanna Be The Only One (feat. BeBe Winans & BeBe Winans)
  • 4 Dermot Kennedy Giants
  • 5 Bobby Brown Every Little Step
  • 6 Måns Zelmerlöw Heroes
  • 7 Nu Shooz I Can't Wait
  • 8 Jake Shears Too Much Music
  • 9 Sam Smith Lay Me Down
  • 10 Simply Red Better With You
  • 11 David Morales, The Face & Juliet Roberts Needin' U
  • 12 Eurythmics & Aretha Franklin Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves
  • 13 Basement Jaxx Red Alert
  • 14 Lizzo About Damn Time
  • 15 Cherrelle Saturday Love (feat. Alexander O’Neal)
  • 16 Jessie J Price Tag (feat. B.o.B)
  • 17 MIKA Grace Kelly
  • 18 Mae Muller I Wrote A Song
  • 19 Kenny Loggins Danger Zone
  • 20 The Weeknd & Ariana Grande Die For You (Remix)
  • 21 Fatboy Slim Praise You

bbc2-maemuller.thumb.jpg.cdc873b46c808d0e39fef89c3029a2a4.jpg

YouTube

Edited by Kumazzz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Don't know if this is the right place to put the link to an online article that mentions "Big Girl" trending on TikTok.

uDiscover Music

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/trending-songs/

Currently Trending Songs

Thanks to the power of TikTok, social media, and film syncs, classic songs are getting reintroduced to a new generation of fans.

Published on April 7, 2023

By uDiscover Team

March 24 

MIKA – Big Girl (You Are Beautiful) 

Released in 2007, “Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)” formed part of MIKA’s colorful debut album Life In Cartoon Motion and gave the star his third Top 10 hit in the UK.

Inspired by the Butterfly Lounge nightclub in Orange County, California – the first club in the area to be part of the Size Acceptance movement – the track celebrated body positivity.

Now, it has become an empowering song on TikTok, as plus-size women share how it has boosted their confidence. 

Edited by Kumazzz
adding the details
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

BBC Radio 1 -

Radio 1 Anthems with Matt and Mollie

Easter Monday Anthems all the way with Matt and Mollie.

Released On: 10 Apr 2023
Available for 29 days

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001kyqj

Radio1Anthems.jpg.6edde9729e4547f0af1c04f9a12aac6c.jpg

Tracklist

Mark Ronson - Oh My God (feat. Lily Allen)

MIKA - Grace Kelly

Take That - Shine

Girls Aloud - The Promise

Kylie Minogue - Wow

Robyn - Be Mine!

McFLY - Star Girl

P!nk - Stupid Girls

Orson - No Tomorrow

Gnarls Barkley - Crazy

Nelly Furtado - Maneater

Christina Aguilera - Ain't No Other Man

Rudimental - Not Giving In (feat. John Newman & Alex Clare)

TNGHT - Higher Ground

Sub Focus - Tidal Wave (feat. Alpines, Alpines & Alpines)

Pendulum - Slam

The Prodigy - Voodoo People (Pendulum remix)

Shy FX & T Power - Shake Ur Body (feat. Di, Di, Di, Di, Di & Di)

Magnetic Man - I Need Air (feat. Angela Hunte)

Redlight - Get Out My Head

DJ Fresh - Gold Dust (Shy FX Re-Edit) (feat. Ms. Dynamite, Ms. Dynamite, Ms. Dynamite, Ms. Dynamite & Ms. Dynamite)

High Contrast - Remind Me

Chase & Status - End Credits (feat. Plan B, Plan B & Plan B)

JAY-Z - Holy Grail (feat. Justin Timberlake)

Bruno Mars - When I Was Your Man

Beyoncé - XO

Screenshot2023-04-10at20-15-48Radio1Anthems-withMattandMollie-BBCSounds.thumb.png.420a79332d6533c405967e6b6f48d855.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Daily Telegraph Review

15 Apr 2023

TheDailyTelegraphReview_2023_04_15.jpg.5ea7fc46e7ab2ccc6718d090836b3add.jpg

Page 3

CHELTENHAM JAZZ FESTIVAL

April 26-May 1

Ticket prices vary Montpellier Gardens hosts an array of classic and contemporary jazz and pop artists, from vocalists such as Laura Mvula, Van Morrison, Will Young and Mika (see interview, p 11) to Ronnie Scott’s Jazz Orchestra, who will perform with Spandau Ballet’s Tony Hadley. cheltenhamfestivals.com

TheDailyTelegraphReview_2023_04.15_page3.jpg.6ec4896df5f2ae54242463bc70a7ca88.jpgTheDailyTelegraphReview_2023_04.15_p-3.thumb.jpg.d2f921ec6b130bd74ad3a4dc74e32b54.jpg

page 11

Mika on Eurovision, pop stardom and his struggles with bullying

‘I’m not going to be told to keep quiet’

When Mika’s chart-topping career in Britain ‘staggered to a halt’, he learnt to embrace Europe instead

Are we ready for the second coming of Mika? The extravagantly gifted singer-songwriter is headlining the opening night of the Cheltenham Jazz Festival on April 26, his first UK concert outside London in 10 years. The 39-year-old’s role as a judge in the hit Channel 4 reality show The Piano has put him back in the eye of the British public, although a jazz festival is probably not where you would expect to find this purveyor of flamboyantly eccentric pop.

“I’ve spent my whole career in places where I don’t necessarily belong,” Mika laughs. “I play electronic festivals where I’m the only non-electronic act, and jazz festivals where everyone else is playing jazz repertoire. I kind of love that. I think it’s about the ways you interpret your material, to be creative with the way you perform.”

But is it jazz? “Is it pop?” counters Mika, playfully. “What even is pop anymore, does anyone know? I’m too busy trying to make things and find my way through the s--show of having a career in a f---edup world.”

Back in the Noughties, Mika was on top of the pop pile, a bravura showman in the style of Elton John, singing exuberant songs with witty lyrics in a voice that could surge from sweet tenor to glass-shattering falsetto. His 2007 single Grace Kelly was a number-one smash in the UK, and his debut album, Life in Cartoon Motion, sold more than five million copies worldwide. But the moment didn’t last. Mika scored five top 10 hits in a row, then quickly faded, each of his subsequent albums registering declining impact and sales, at least here in the UK. You might have heard he was big in Belgium, popular in France and presenting shows on Italian television. But he was no longer part of the British pop firmament.

“I don’t understand what happened,” he admits. “I can sell out arenas in Europe and South Korea, but things staggered to a halt in Britain.”

I wonder if Mika was just too much for the mainstream space he had almost accidentally stumbled into, too camp, too arty, too needy. There is a certain desperation about his biggest hit, with its repeated refrain of “Why don’t you like me?”

Michael Holbrook Penniman Jr had a privileged but peripatetic upbringing, born in Beirut to an often absent Israeli-American businessman father and LebaneseAmerican mother, raised in Paris and London, attending Westminster School and the Royal College of Music.

He struggled with dyslexia, bullying and insecurity about his sexual orientation. “Grace Kelly was written at 11 o’clock at night in my bedroom. It was made in a very artisanal, handmade way, out of a pure desire to feel OK about who I was. That’s what all the music came out of, the absolute desire not to have the s--- beaten out of me.”

He describes the disruptive experience of being “catapulted” into stardom. He was circumspect in public about his sexuality and felt the UK media’s fascination was prurient and hostile. “People were assholes, people were cruel, using it almost in a destructive way. All these issues of sexuality and identity that you deal with as a kid are still with you, and there was no sensitivity or kindness or respect in the way it was handled.”

He did not come out publicly as gay until he was 29 and in a relationship with his long-term partner, the Greek filmmaker Andreas Dermanis. “I like to think that the world has changed. Definitely, from a media perspective, there has been positive change, although social media is still a law unto itself.”

Mika is speaking to me via Zoom from his home in Miami, a palatial 100-year-old Spanish-style villa that he bought a decade ago in a state of collapse (“it was built out of cement made from beach sand and the whole thing was caving in”) and has painstakingly renovated with family and friends into something he describes as “a living art project”. Every room is intricately hand-painted, with hand-crafted furnishings, to house a recording studio, art studios and film-editing suite. “Money would run out, everything would stop, and I’d have to go and do a job to get things moving again. It took way too long and cost way too much, but it’s a beautiful, crazy place, full of little dream bubbles dedicated to making things.”

As his career cooled in Britain, Mika focused on international territories where his music still resonated. “I’m not going to be told to keep quiet, or just disappear, why would I do that? I decided to keep moving, and find a different altitude, where maybe the air and temperature were better suited to me.”

He started building a television career, hosting shows in France and Italy. “Our biggest challenge in the arts is the constant ‘no’, all your ideas being shot down in two seconds. You have to find a way to balance your artistic dreams with a certain kind of visibility. I decided to start making television to give myself the slightest possibility of my musical projects being realised.

You have to fight for it. It’s part of the process of a true artistic career.”

I think the whole of Britain was surprised when Mika popped up presenting Eurovision in Italy last year. “I love Eurovision. I’m American, I’m Lebanese, I’m European, I was brought up and educated in France and England. In the most lofty sense, Eurovision is not just an entertainment show, it is an exercise in universality.”

Britain’s entry this year is sung by Mae Muller, who made her debut aged nine as the cute child in Mika’s Grace Kelly video. “Oh, that’s not her claim to fame, the poor girl, give her a break,” Mika protests on her behalf. “I don’t think people in the UK realise how big her success has been in other places. She’s got an enormous hit in the States [with 2021 nu disco banger Better Days]. It’s one of those songs you hear so much, you don’t want to hear it anymore.” All he will say about her slick, poppy Eurovision entry I Wrote a Song is that “it’s optimised for streaming. It’s very clever.” Following Ukraine’s Eurovision victory in 2022, this year’s contest will be staged in Liverpool in May, due to safety concerns. “There’s all sorts of interesting issues of Britain and the EU in the mix, and how the BBC navigate hosting in the name of another country that is a warzone. I’m looking forward to it.”

Of all the things he has done, Mika suggests that The Piano, conceived by Great British Bake Off producer Richard McKerrow and hosted by Claudia Winkleman, is among the most random. “We just showed up, and Rich was like, ‘I had this great idea in the pub, so let’s make a TV show.’”

Mika himself was trained as a classical pianist, but confesses, “I really don’t like the idea of ‘classical music’. We should be talking about music in terms of excellence, who is doing something interesting, something that could provoke emotion. Whether it’s jazz, rap, experimental electro, Shostakovich or Scarlatti, it’s all part of our collective history. It’s not about lifestyle, it’s not about subsets and genres, it’s about your nature, how you feel. Music is kind. And it’s there for you. And it’s free.”

Mika’s most recent project was a film score for the French movie Princes of the Desert (released in France in February), on which he worked with the Paris Philharmonic Orchestra and Berber musicians from Morocco.

“’Cause I’m a weirdo, I spent seven months on a symphonic soundtrack instead of making sure I had an English single when I was on air with The Piano.” He has also been working on his first French-language album, and a new English album constructed around piano loops and samples. “So, yeah, basically a record company’s worst nightmare. But that’s OK, ’cause I end up playing jazz and electronic music festivals. I can survive. Kind of.”

‘Eurovision is not just an entertainment show. It’s an exercise in universality’

TheDailyTelegraphReview_2023_04.15_p-11.thumb.jpg.b736c3e78d446eef4983782f8b9f6821.jpg

Edited by Kumazzz
adding the pdf file
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 7

19 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

Thanks for posting the whole article Eriko. It’s one of the best Mika interviews I’ve read in ages. 

Exactly. At last really well investigated information not only copy/ paste from old texts found in the internet about Grace Kelly and Relax. And Mika is open now to talk directly with journalists. Short text covering Mika's bio part completely invisible in the UK.

BBC News Bristol

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-65277580

Bristol Sounds Festival announces Mika as headliner

A music festival set to take place in Bristol has announced its final headliner.

Singer and song-writer Mika will play at the five-night gig series on Bristol Harbourside from 21 June.

He has gained legendary status in the industry, performing alongside big names such as Elton John, Freddie Mercury and Prince.

Other performers at the festival include Jacob Collier, Leveller's Beautiful Day Out and Self Esteem.

"Lloyds Amphitheatre will be transformed into a world of gritty romance amidst the joy and playfulness of technicoloured alternative pop," the festival organiser said.

Presentational grey line

Follow BBC West on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Send your story ideas to: bristol@bbc.co.uk

Twitter

@BBCBristol

• Like 2

Bristol Post

WEB

Mika confirmed as final headliner for epic Bristol Sounds line-up

All the headline acts for this year's live music event are now confirmed

Mika has been named as the final headliner for Bristol Sounds returning the harbourside this summer. The popstar, who topped the UK charts in 2007 with 'Grace Kelly', will kick off a week of live music at Lloyds Amphitheatre on June 21.

The five-night gig series traditionally falls on the same weekend as Glastonbury Festival and welcomes some of the biggest names in music. Mika has joined a star-studded line-up comprising James, The Levellers, Jacob Collier and Self Esteem.

Mika shot to fame in the 2000s and has since gone on to record four more platinum-selling studio albums - most recently My Name is Michael Holbrook released in October 2019. In 2022, the star - who speaks four languages fluently - stepped into the limelight as a host of the Eurovision Song Contest.

While Mika takes the opening slot on Wednesday (June 21), Jacob Collier will headline the following night. The 28-year-old Londoner shot to fame as a teenager on YouTube and became a Grammy award-winning multi-instrumentalist.

On the Friday, Manchester band James will take over the stage as part of their 40th-anniversary tour. The band met global success in the 1990s with hits like 'Sit Down' and 'Born Of Frustration'.

The Levellers will be top billed on the Saturday, but will also feature ska legends The Selecter, Shaun Ryder and Kermit’s Black Grape, Newport rappers Goldie Lookin’ Chain and Peat & Diesel. Bristol Sounds will be rounded off by Self Esteem, who is booked for a string of UK shows this summer.

Pre-sale tickets for Mika will go live on April 19 and general tickets will go live on April 21.

To register for presale sign up to the mailing list.

Twitter

Bristol Post

Monday, April 17, 2023

Bristol_Post_2023-04-17.thumb.png.2fcb03b94b728f5390f285868c0aa734.png

MikatoPlayCityConcert.thumb.jpg.f8b092a478cad2eeb79524d13ae1fbdb.jpg

page - 7

Bristol_Post_Mika.thumb.jpg.9c0c507ec2fabedddb27c35cb65a01c8.jpg

480.thumb.jpg.9e03a6b73ca232b37e0ebaf583f5bf5b.jpg

Edited by Kumazzz
update
  • Like 2

Love the Telegraph interview, and finally I have a bit of time to comment on it. It's great that Mika is so honest and open. Guess the interviewer was nicer in person than he seems to me... I mean, most of the text is ok, but this part annoys me:

On 4/15/2023 at 9:40 AM, Kumazzz said:

I wonder if Mika was just too much for the mainstream space he had almost accidentally stumbled into, too camp, too arty, too needy. There is a certain desperation about his biggest hit, with its repeated refrain of “Why don’t you like me?”

First of all, the GK line he quotes is the opposite of needy, it's "why don't you like me or walk out that door!". Secondly, why is he repeating these judgements that the British media threw at Mika back then? Mika is fantastic the way he is, and if they keep calling him "too much" and "too camp", he'll just disappear again to where the media appreciates him more. :rolleyes: 

There's some interesting thoughts in this interview about the point of Mika being "mainstream" - or accidentally stumbling into that, as the interviewer puts it. I don't know, if you sign a major record label deal and your album gets to #1, there isn't really much accidental about that? Mika also said in one of the 2020s MFC IG lives that he is a niche artist. I suppose this contradiction is what he means by finding a way to balance his artistic dreams with a certain kind of visibility. That he's doing things (like judging casting shows) to find a broad mainstream audience, some of whom will then listen to his music... and ofc the TV stuff also pays well, so he doesn't need to listen to the record label's opinion. Also I think what he says about music tells a lot about how he interprets the different sides of his career. The music is the fun part for him, the rest is about making money. And people shouldn't be judging music but be open to all different styles, because it's there for you and it's free. So imo it's only the logical consequence that he didn't release a single while The Piano was aired. I mean, he has some more songs, like the ones he wrote with Amy Wadge, or Modern Times, and he did release Who's gonna love me now and Bolero while he was writing the soundtrack (maybe even Yoyo, not sure when to start counting the 7 months). Keep it Simple was released in France, while The Piano was aired. So it's not like he didn't have time to finish and release stuff. Well, I'm just trying to make sense of his statement "cause I'm a weirdo" and trying to interpret his way of thinking. I love it that he doesn't squeeze every penny out of his music and his popularity, like other celebs do (or rather their managements / labels, I suppose), but it seems what he's doing is the complete opposite. He only uses his popularity to get other jobs, like TV or private gigs.

Ah well, trying to make sense of Mika, a neverending story. :naughty: I sometimes might be like :overreact:, but I love him anyway. :wub2: :lol3:

• Like 5

@mellody Some really intersting points but I perceived the interview a bit differently. I don‘t think the interviewer calling Mika "too much“ and "too camp" was his opinion but rather an explanation or observation why Mika isn‘t more successful. And I don‘t think that‘s entirely wrong or at least it wasn‘t at the start of his career. But yeah repeating this is getting a bit old and of course is contradicted by the fact that he had his breakthrough success with Grace Kelly.

About Grace Kelly I actually agree with the interviewer, I always thought it is full of desperation and I love that about it :D

I think it perfectly expresses that frustrating feeling of desperately wanting to fit in but failing. The message is of course to stop trying and just be yourself but I do think it has this conflict of not giving a damn what other people think but still wanting to be liked.

I think what he meant about the timing with the piano is that to make the most of the platform he was given by being on uk tv was to have had his new album with a banging single ready to release at the same time the piano aired.

But he didn‘t do that because he was busy writing a soundtrack for a french movie simply because that was a project he really wanted to do and was passionate about. This is not a smart marketing move, is not what most artists would have done and makes him a "weirdo" for that reason. Of course we know that this is exactly what makes him and his music special and why we respect him so much ;)

• Like 8

4 hours ago, CharlotteL said:

@mellody Some really intersting points but I perceived the interview a bit differently. I don‘t think the interviewer calling Mika "too much“ and "too camp" was his opinion but rather an explanation or observation why Mika isn‘t more successful. And I don‘t think that‘s entirely wrong or at least it wasn‘t at the start of his career. But yeah repeating this is getting a bit old and of course is contradicted by the fact that he had his breakthrough success with Grace Kelly.

About Grace Kelly I actually agree with the interviewer, I always thought it is full of desperation and I love that about it :D

I think it perfectly expresses that frustrating feeling of desperately wanting to fit in but failing. The message is of course to stop trying and just be yourself but I do think it has this conflict of not giving a damn what other people think but still wanting to be liked.

I think what he meant about the timing with the piano is that to make the most of the platform he was given by being on uk tv was to have had his new album with a banging single ready to release at the same time the piano aired.

But he didn‘t do that because he was busy writing a soundtrack for a french movie simply because that was a project he really wanted to do and was passionate about. This is not a smart marketing move, is not what most artists would have done and makes him a "weirdo" for that reason. Of course we know that this is exactly what makes him and his music special and why we respect him so much ;)

I wanted to write a reply like this, so I’m glad you have worded my thoughts so eloquently as you have :thumb_yello: 

19 hours ago, mellody said:

I actually think that the interviewer is very aware of the opinion back then of Mika in the British media and uses this exact vocabulary to maybe also resonate with that same public. In the end you need a hook for them to read your article, and I personally think this has been the right approach. Mika is the superstar in France and Italy and is also treated as such, we shouldn’t forget that he has once won the British public, then disappeared, and now is suddenly back. The articles that have been published so far have been very much in his favour, including the explanation as to why he has been gone. It’s maybe not necessarily marketing on Mika‘s side, but rather the British media being on his good side now - and I love that for him. 

4 hours ago, CharlotteL said:

Haha, I really loved this revelation he did himself. This shows how aware he is of the situation, but he just shrugs and moves on. Like he should!! Brilliant. 

• Like 6

It's not bad, but there's room for improvement.  Not harping back to the past and putting their own spurious "observations" on it would be a start. A bigger focus on his more recent projects would make it better. 

But if Mika keeps going as he is - I don't think any reporter is going to have influence over his comeback.  

Edited by Hero
I should add, I absolutely loathe the British press. It scares me when they start looking his way. Even the so-called respected press can be complete and utter ***** if they think it'll boost their profile.
  • Like 4

Thanks a lot @Naectegale

13 hours ago, Naectegale said:

Good Morning

Mariella Frostrup is interviewing Mika today for her Times Radio show. I think it will be broadcast on Thursday between 1pm and 3pm and should be on catch-up or a podcast or something afterwards.

Times Radio

ONLINE LIVE STREAMING https://www.thetimes.co.uk/radio/live

SCHEDULE https://www.thetimes.co.uk/radio/schedule

Maybe...

The interview will broadcast at 2:05pm - 2:35pm on Thursday, April 20, 2023.

Mariella Frostrup: The 2pm Interview

Here is the interview with Dame Kelly Holmes ( Olympic games GOLD medalist )

Hope Times Radio will share the video.

• Like 3

It looks like we should be able to listen again here: 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/radio/schedule

Just scroll down to the appropriate time and there will be a link. 

It’s just not online yet. But soon! 

Not sure about the video. But we can hope! 

EDIT: It's there now! That was quick!

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/radio/show/20230420-20197/2023-04-20

• Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

Thank you for the link, Deb.

I am not sure if there will be a video as Mika was on the phone.

Times Radio

On 4/20/2023 at 11:16 PM, dcdeb said:

EDIT: It's there now! That was quick!

REPLAY
Catch Up
20 Apr 2023

Audio Video

A Cast ( PODCAST )

Mariella Meets

https://shows.acast.com/mariella-meets/episodes/mika

2023/4/20
MIKA

Mika, world renowned for his glam pop anthems and iconic falsetto-to-baritone vocals, is frequently praised as one of the best singer-songwriters of his generation, most recently, he captured the heart of the nation appearing in Channel 4’s The Piano, alongside Claudia Winkleman and classical pianist Lang Lang.

The Times

20 April 2023

The_Times_April_20_2023_page_4.thumb.jpg.51eb61f8286fa87691781f1addefe049.jpg

👉 PDF file ( 1 page / 304 kb  ) The_Times_-_April.20.2023-4.pdf

Page 4

TIMES RADIO

Today’s highlights

2pm  Mika, right, singer-songwriter and star of Channel 4’s The Piano

The_Times_April_20_2023_page-4_MIKA_Times_Radio.thumb.jpg.805259d9ded200d26c0344dc6cd7f846.jpg

The_Times_April_20_2023_page-4.thumb.jpg.b786eb57174c7922d516722490d6d40b.jpg

Edited by Kumazzz
update
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Thank you for the link, Deb.

I am not sure if there will be a video as Mika was on the phone.

Good point. You're probably right.

Just now, Kumazzz said:

Times Radio

Catch Up

20 Apr 2023

👉 AUDIO FILE ( m4a / 14.5 MB )

Audio Video

I just came here to share the file, too. You're way quicker than me, Eriko! Thanks.

• Like 2

I loved listening to him! Sometimes it felt like he was cut off a bit mid sentence, but I still think he got to say what he wanted to say. I also think that the interviewer (Mariella) had a time restriction. It didn’t necessarily feel like a rude cut off, because she did let him talk and express himself. 

What I also really liked is that she did her homework! And he just filled out the rest.

Love hearing him express his thoughts in English. Sometimes when I read the translation of the Italian and French interviews I wonder what gets lost and if so: how much! But I truly have the same feel when hearing him now in English as in the other languages. 

• Like 3

Good interview! Loved his description of the Lebanese bubble, the smells of tobacco and Elnett hairspray, the old men drunk on whisky accusing each other of cheating at backgammon, so evocative. 

Nice that they gave him time to speak about his refugee work. I had no idea 18 years was the average time spent in refugee status, that's nuts! 

25 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I also think that the interviewer (Mariella) had a time restriction. It didn’t necessarily feel like a rude cut off, because she did let him talk and express himself

Yes I agree, there was a time limit, she had to move the discussion on every so often. Would have been nice to have a proper thank you at the end instead of just signing off, but we can blame that on the time restrictions. 

He did well! 🥰

25 minutes ago, Sara penny said:

Do you have any way to transcribe what he said so that I can translate it into Italian? Thank you

If you upload it on youtube, youtube would transcribe it for you. English transcriptions are not bad nowadays. There might be mistakes but a lot less than in the past. If you send me the transcription hopefully I could fix it for you. If I have time though...

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Like 1