Mika in UK and Ireland press - 2023

Kumazzz

Ohh how absolutely wonderful!! Felt like a virtual hug!

"There's so much love in the lgbtqia+ community. That love is never gonna stop, in fact it's only ever gonna get bigger"

= We may be tiny to the world but in our hearts, we are giants with our tiny, tiny love!! ❤️

Edited by CharlotteL
  • Like 6

It seems Mika and Lang Lang will be part of the second season of The Piano: https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/entertainment/reality-tv/claudia-winkleman-the-piano-second-season-newsupdate/

Claudia Winkleman's The Piano returns for second season and Xmas special

The reality show will be back on Channel 4.

By 

Patrick Cremona

Published: Friday, 14th July 2023 at 11:28 am

Claudia Winkleman is set to return to host a second season of talent show The Piano on Channel 4, according to reports.

The series – which sees some of the UK's best amateur pianists battle it out at train stations across the country for the chance to perform at the Royal Festival Hall – debuted on the channel in February 2023 and was won by Lucy Illingworth.

And now the show will be back for both a second run and a Christmas special, with Channel 4's Chief Creative Officer Ian Katz calling the series "a breath of fresh air."

"It celebrated ordinary people doing something extraordinary for the sheer love of it," he said, as reported by The Sun.

“From 94-year-old widower George, who played in Glasgow station, to Lucy, the blind 13-year-old who stole the nation’s hearts.”

Although no details have been revealed so far about an air date, it is understood that season 2 will consist of seven episodes – expanded from five in the first run – while judges Mika and Lang Lang will return alongside Winkleman.

Illingworth has already gone on to great success after winning the first season, performing at the Coronation concert in May, and so competition is sure to be tight in the show's second outing.

Screenshot (466).png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, krysady said:

It seems Mika and Lang Lang will be part of the second season of The Piano: https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/entertainment/reality-tv/claudia-winkleman-the-piano-second-season-newsupdate/

Claudia Winkleman's The Piano returns for second season and Xmas special

The reality show will be back on Channel 4.

By 

Patrick Cremona

Published: Friday, 14th July 2023 at 11:28 am

Claudia Winkleman is set to return to host a second season of talent show The Piano on Channel 4, according to reports.

The series – which sees some of the UK's best amateur pianists battle it out at train stations across the country for the chance to perform at the Royal Festival Hall – debuted on the channel in February 2023 and was won by Lucy Illingworth.

And now the show will be back for both a second run and a Christmas special, with Channel 4's Chief Creative Officer Ian Katz calling the series "a breath of fresh air."

"It celebrated ordinary people doing something extraordinary for the sheer love of it," he said, as reported by The Sun.

“From 94-year-old widower George, who played in Glasgow station, to Lucy, the blind 13-year-old who stole the nation’s hearts.”

Although no details have been revealed so far about an air date, it is understood that season 2 will consist of seven episodes – expanded from five in the first run – while judges Mika and Lang Lang will return alongside Winkleman.

Illingworth has already gone on to great success after winning the first season, performing at the Coronation concert in May, and so competition is sure to be tight in the show's second outing.

Screenshot (466).png

I know this has been splashed all over social media at this point, but you'll note that neither Mika nor Claudia or Lang Lang have posted about it yet.

While the new season will most likely happen, I think there may be a small chance it won't and that we need to consider this as unconfirmed until we hear it directly from Mika. :dunno:

4 hours ago, dcdeb said:

I know this has been splashed all over social media at this point

Oh, I'm sorry, this is the first time I see it :doh: So maybe I should delete my post?

20 minutes ago, krysady said:

Oh, I'm sorry, this is the first time I see it :doh: So maybe I should delete my post?

No, it's OK. I hid your post at first, but then I thought about it - the story is out there, we can't change that. For whatever reason, Love Productions decided to send out its press release at this point. I just can't really go all-out promoting it until I have confirmation from Mika and/or his team that he's really going to do it.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Music Radar

https://www.musicradar.com/news/the-six-best-covers-of-sweet-dreams

11 August 2023

"What the hell is that?"

From Marilyn Manson to Zack Snyder: The 6 best covers of Eurythmics' Sweet Dreams

40 years of Sweet Dreams have given us some varied covers

– some are sweet, some are frankly just nightmares

The Eurythmics' Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) is 40 years old and to celebrate we've unearthed six of the best covers of the band's breakthrough hit. 

Sweet Dreams originally charted in the UK, reaching number 2 in May 1983, but it would take another six months for the song to cross the Atlantic and become a massive US hit, doing one better and reaching the top of the Billboard 100 in September 1983.

The song was released at a time when Eurythmics (Dave Stewart and Annie Lennox) were at a low point after a disappointing debut album – see below – and three unsuccessful singles from their second album.

Amazingly their label didn't consider Sweet Dreams as single-worthy, so it was the fourth track to be released from the album, but became the track that made them. Phew, that was lucky then. 

The track was a definite move towards a stripped-back sound and a synthetic arrangement, something the duo would become famous for over their early releases including tracks like Love is a Stranger, Who's That Girl? and Here Comes The Rain Again. It was an approach defined by some gear the duo had bought with a £5000 bank loan.

"I couldn’t get any of the new equipment to work," Stewart told The Guardian in 2017. "By this point, Annie was totally depressed. She was curled up on the floor in the foetal position when I managed to produce this beat and riff. She suddenly went: “What the hell is that?” and leapt up and started playing the other synthesizer. Between the two duelling synths we had the beginnings of Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)."

The video to Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) is hugely important for a couple of reasons. Firstly, MTV was the make-or-break channel for many an act at this point in the 80s and if you made a great video – or in this case, an odd one with cows in it – you could be set up for life, and it was really this video that helped break Eurythmics Stateside.

Secondly, and more importantly in our book, is that Dave Stewart uses what could be mistaken for a computer with a TV on top of it to make the music – surely one of the first references to computer music making in a video ever?

Our extensive research (we Googled it), however, reveals that this was no ordinary computer but a Movement Computer Systems Percussion Computer (the Mk1, not the Mk2). It was used to make beats and a piece of gear that would have cost you around £1700 back in '83 (the price of a house now). The TV would not have shown Annie Lennox and Dave Stewart, though, but more probably a very basic drum pattern.

Other fun Eurythmics and Sweet Dreams facts include:

• Beyonce didn't cover Sweet Dreams. Her Sweet Dreams is a Beyonce song, although if you check out some clips from her performing the song live, she does blend it into the Eurythmics version. Like in this (terrible) clip for example (at 3:22).

• Eurythmics' first album In The Garden wasn't a hit but did feature enough talent to make it so. It was produced by Conny Plank (who had worked with Ultravox and Kraftwerk), Can's Holger Czukay and Blondie's Clem Burke.

• Synth fans might like to know that a Roland SH-09, Juno-6 and Oberheim OB-X were used on the track and album.

• Those were real cows you saw in the video.

So now, to celebrate Sweet Dreams at 40, here are six of the best, strangest and sweetest covers. 

Emily Browning https://youtu.be/OcxRtLpkAkQ

Bat For Lashes https://youtu.be/V5ijYMnmLMU

Marilyn Manson (2009) https://youtu.be/QUvVdTlA23w

Mika (Live From Hong Kong, 2007)

Generally, when an artist appears as quickly as Mika did 16 years (yes, really) ago, you kind of expect them to disappear just as quickly. But such was the strength of his debut – and don't make the mistake we thought by thinking 'only' – hit, Grace Kelly, that Mika has since carved out a career not just in music (he's sold quite a few million albums and collaborated with Madonna) but on TV too. 

Debut album Life in Cartoon Motion – which went on to sell over eight million copies alone – not only contained the single Grace Kelly but another single, Big Girl (You Are Beautiful), based on the Butterfly Lounge, the 'first size acceptable nightclub' in Orange County, California. 

The CD single release of Big Girl (You Are Beautiful) contained this live version of Sweet Dreams, recorded from a show in Hong Kong in 2007. It sticks fairly faithfully to the original and also features the kind of screeching guitar you might well expect, not only replacing the main synth riff, but filling any other gaps with way too many notes, and whenever it bloody well can.

Mika's voice holds it all together but the rock drums, backing vocals and that guitar make this very much the rock n roll kind of standard that Stewart and Lennox were (probably) railing against with the stripped-back and sparse original. 

Nouvelle Vague (2009) https://youtu.be/Q7jlgrH4IxY

Ministry  https://youtu.be/yPthevXtAQU

Rae Morris https://youtu.be/1p92Btvu7XY

• Like 5

Burton Mail

• 18 Aug 2023

Pressreader https://www.pressreader.com/article/281745568927794

STAR BIRTHDAYS

Mika

Roman Polanski, film director, 90;

Robert Redford, actor, 87;

Madeleine Stowe, actress, 65;

Denis Leary, actor, 66;

Edward Norton, actor, 54; Christian Slater, actor, 54;

Mika, singer/ songwriter, 40.

mikabday.thumb.jpg.75e47fee261064190250e0c8f3db3d3c.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

Burton Mail

• 18 Aug 2023

Pressreader https://www.pressreader.com/article/281745568927794

STAR BIRTHDAYS

Mika

Roman Polanski, film director, 90;

Robert Redford, actor, 87;

Madeleine Stowe, actress, 65;

Denis Leary, actor, 66;

Edward Norton, actor, 54; Christian Slater, actor, 54;

Mika, singer/ songwriter, 40.

mikabday.thumb.jpg.75e47fee261064190250e0c8f3db3d3c.jpg

Daily Express used a photo from Eurovision I believe, whereas Burton Mail has one from this year. I'm glad they chose  to publish a photo of Mika rather than someone else's. 😊

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

EQ Music

https://eqmusicblog.com/watch-cest-la-vie-by-mika/

September 5, 2023

Watch “C’est La Vie” by Mika

Was I alone in wondering when Mika will share some new music? The last original track, “Yo Yo,” was released coinciding with his presenting stint at the 2022 Eurovision Song Competition in Turin, Italy. I had hoped that he would then follow up with more original music. Instead, he has been collaborating on some projects and touring a bit to make up for missed opportunities due to the pandemic. However, I am excited to share that he has finally released a new offering. Interestingly, his new song “C’est la Vie” is a French-language track, and it’s a full-circle moment. (The first song he ever wrote was in French). Also, the song is a precursor to his upcoming album, which will similarly be completely sung in French.

Even though I don’t speak French, I do know that “C’est la Vie” means “that’s life” or “such is life.” So, it’s safe to say that the lyrics of the song are much deeper than the catchy tune suggests. In a recent interview with BMFTV, the artist shared that the song is about everything wrong, sad, and frustrating in their life, as well as the lives of others. It even touches on topics like age and death. However, the song also has a hopeful message about forgiving and celebrating life, and how metabolizing our experiences can help us let go and move forward. It’s a powerful message that I think we can all relate to in some way.

When he decided to go for a video treatment for the new song, Mika knew he had to choose a concept that would resonate with his audience. Therefore, he focuses on the celebrating life aspect of the song, and I’m glad he did. The video turned out great. He was fortunate to have it filmed at a live show in Belgium, where the crowd was more than happy to join in on the fun. They danced and cheered in a spectacularly joyous fashion. It turned out an amazing experience that I am sure he will never forget.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

Was I alone in wondering when Mika will share some new music? The last original track, “Yo Yo,”

... what about those songs in english, italian and french, several remixes and complete film soundtrack that came after YoYo? :rollingpin:

• Like 2

UK Apple Music Chart

TOP 100 French Pop Singles Chart today in United Kingdom

https://www.icharts.co.za/gb/music/topsongs/50000064-frenchpop

on 01-09-2023

The number one song right now in United Kingdom is C’est la Vie - MIKA

UKchart.thumb.jpg.395e32dbf05a646299939164288cc927.jpg

on 07-09-2023 ( just now )

C'est la Vie is on the 5th place...

Screenshot2023-09-08at06-58-49iTunesTop100MusicChart-Real-timeiTunesMusicAppMovieCharts.thumb.png.2e543835ccbe7542bb106102a48968fd.png

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

An Interview to  Es Devlin. ( Stage set designer for PARC DES PRINCES STADIUM PARIS)

She mentioned MIKA in the term of superstar whims.

The Telegraph Online

‘These artists breathe at a different pace’: The stage designer for Adele and the Olympics takes on Gucci

9 October 2023

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/books/what-to-read/es-devlin-stage-designer-beyonce-adele-olympics-gucci-show/

(extracted from the article)

How does she hold it all together? How, for example, does she deal with superstar whims? Her response shows both her intellectual inclination and, I suspect, a finely honed ability to deflect awkward questions.

‘Hmm, whims…’ She takes out her phone and starts jabbing away at an online dictionary of etymology. ‘Don’t laugh, it’s one of my favourite tools. It’s so I can answer you correctly, because I don’t even deeply know what “whim” means. Here we go! “Whim, 1640s. A fanciful object… Meaning caprice, fancy, sudden turn or inclination of the mind”.’ I rephrase: does she encounter tantrums? ‘Well, it’s only happening because we all want it, this collective act of imagination… So honestly, no.’

Really? ‘Obviously someone whose job it is to stand out in front of 100,000 people and reflect their energy is different,’ she says diplomatically. ‘I asked Mika, one of the first pop stars I worked with, how does it feel? He said you become another type of being. The audience projects energy on to you, you reflect it back, it’s an exchange. So you come off stage and your heart beats a bit faster. The people I collaborate with breathe at a different pace. So when people interpret it as tantrums, or whimsical, or being difficult, I don’t interpret it as that. I empathise with that role they play.’

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks a lot @NaoMika

Here is a video from AMAZON.

https://www.amazon.com/-/en/Es-Devlin/dp/0500023182

An Atlas of Es Devlin

Tapa dura – 21 Noviembre 2023

de Es Devlin (Author), Andrea Lipps (Editor)

https://www.amazon.com/live/video/0cb2eef0cce24fc5b446fc358f9c45d2?ref_=dp_vse_ibvc0

A cap of PARC DES PRINCES

AnAtlasofEsDevlin.thumb.jpg.764c3cdd0f0e516b0ad38960b639908b.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NaoMika said:

An Interview to  Es Devlin. ( Stage set designer for PARC DES PRINCES STADIUM PARIS)

She mentioned MIKA in the term of superstar whims.

The Telegraph Online

‘These artists breathe at a different pace’: The stage designer for Adele and the Olympics takes on Gucci

9 October 2023

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/books/what-to-read/es-devlin-stage-designer-beyonce-adele-olympics-gucci-show/

(extracted from the article)

How does she hold it all together? How, for example, does she deal with superstar whims? Her response shows both her intellectual inclination and, I suspect, a finely honed ability to deflect awkward questions.

‘Hmm, whims…’ She takes out her phone and starts jabbing away at an online dictionary of etymology. ‘Don’t laugh, it’s one of my favourite tools. It’s so I can answer you correctly, because I don’t even deeply know what “whim” means. Here we go! “Whim, 1640s. A fanciful object… Meaning caprice, fancy, sudden turn or inclination of the mind”.’ I rephrase: does she encounter tantrums? ‘Well, it’s only happening because we all want it, this collective act of imagination… So honestly, no.’

Really? ‘Obviously someone whose job it is to stand out in front of 100,000 people and reflect their energy is different,’ she says diplomatically. ‘I asked Mika, one of the first pop stars I worked with, how does it feel? He said you become another type of being. The audience projects energy on to you, you reflect it back, it’s an exchange. So you come off stage and your heart beats a bit faster. The people I collaborate with breathe at a different pace. So when people interpret it as tantrums, or whimsical, or being difficult, I don’t interpret it as that. I empathise with that role they play.’

Now that is a good answer, and one in the eye for the ratty journalist trying to rake up some fake drama. :clap:

• Like 1