Could Mika be related to Little Richard?

Cautionary Wife

I like it!!!

Marc Bolan was my teenage crush!

When I played one of my friends Grace Kelly for the first time she asked if it was T-Rex, which I thought was weird because I can't see any similarity.

ps I used the word surprisingly meaning that Little Richard wasn't exactly good looking, rather than it being a comment on the genetic impossibilty!

• 13 years later...

Little Richard or Richard Wayne Penniman, died today aged 87. When I heard his full name on the news I thought straight away about Mika because they both share the same surname. I do wonder too if somehow they're related 🤔 Little Richard is from Georgia, didn't Mika visit Georgia while he was writing MNIMH? I can't remember... 

Little Richard 05/12/1932 - 09/05/2020 RIP.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/little-richard-dead-48505/

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Sadly these YouTube don't work...

An Spanish INTERVIEW in 2013 at Madrid.

On 3/23/2013 at 6:46 AM, PurpleCat said:

This was recorded last October in Madrid and aired some months later, but we couldn’t get a decent video of it until this week!

Thanks to @mariaasuncion for recording and sharing :wink2:

First part:

[YOUTUBE]JPPMWM7T8U4[/YOUTUBE]

Second part:

[YOUTUBE]YgM2GOoHNkQ[/YOUTUBE]

On 3/23/2013 at 6:51 AM, LeiRe said:

Thank you so much, PurpleCat! :thumb_yello:

My translation (I apologize before hand for any mistakes):

Hi, I’m Mika in 40 TV.

And I want to say I’m going to try and speak in Spanish, but I can’t speak it that much so I’m going to make a lot of mistakes, but… you gotta be nice, please.

At home as a kid I listened to a lot of stuff. First in Paris I used to listen to things like Shabba Ranks. Shabba Ranks was the first concert I ever attended, and I was 9 years old. I don’t know why, I don’t know why, maybe because Shabba Ranks was like an animated character, not very real, a little bit absurd. But also Nina Simone, I liked her a lot, and also stuff like Nirvana. Nirvana, Shabba Ranks, Nina Simone. A mix, that’s true.

While my mother was cooking, she always played flamenco vynils, so I have this memory of the kitchen, the house, my mother, six years old, I was six years old, and flamenco music *claps* Things like that, I don’t know why. In Paris.

The first disc I bought. I feel a bit ashamed about that. It was the disc… Because at home there were many discs, no, not discs, vynils and cassettes, ha! Cassettes. I’m 29 years old, so cassettes were quite important when I was little. And, but the first disc I… The soundtrack of the movie “Cool Runnings”, with the song… a horrible song, a song *sings* I’m sorry.

The first concert I ever went to was a classical one, in Paris. I think it was a concert or Tchaikovsky ballet, or something like that. I was 3 years old, 4 years old. Because my mother loves these kind of things, and for her it is important to go to see classical music and also rock and pop. But the first ever pop concert I attended was a show by Shabba Ranks in Virginia and I was 8 years old. I went with my family in the US, and it was a little bit weird because I was 8 years old and they… Like in airports, they frisked me for guns and stuff like that. And also, I didn’t understand why we waited for two and a half hours to see Shabba Ranks. I was really disappointed, actually hated it, it was awful. It was horrible.

The record I’ve listened to the most is maybe Nirvana, or Jeff Buckley’s record, or maybe, I don’t know, Fleetwood Mac’s record “Rumours”, I like it a lot. Things like a record, a best of of Queen too, when I was 15. It was very important because musically I realized you can make music that’s a mixture of rock, pop, opera, but with a huge importance on melody as well, and that was like an explosion to my ears.

A special concert. Maybe Cesaria Évora’s concert, a singer from Côte d'Ivoire, who’s dead now, but it was incredible. Or also a Rufus Wainwright’s gig in London, Shepherd’s Bush Empire, which was incredible. But I don’t know, I don’t like enormous concerts that much, like U2 or things like that. I do like the music, but an enormous concert like that, I don’t know, there’s a distance, there’s a feeling like Vegas, Las Vegas, and for me that’s not, that’s not… I don’t know, it’s not like a theater or a club. A theater or a club, a theater, for me, is the perfect place for a concert.

In a movie, I’d like to play the role of maybe Little Richard, the rock singer, one of the inventors of rock music, or maybe Nina Simone, a great pop star, jazz music star, a mixture of everything.

But the problem is it wouldn’t be very easy because Little Richard, whose name is Richard Penniman, and my name is Mika Penniman, but that’s the only similarity, because Little Richard, well Little Richard is black, and Nina Simone is a woman, so it wouldn’t be easy.

The song I enjoy dancing to the most is “Smalltown Boy” by Bronski Beat. I love this song, I don’t know why. I like the… It’s a bit like an electronic, dance version of a band I love - I don’t know how to say it – which is The Cure. I love The Cure, but… Maybe also a song by The Cure, or Bronski Beat. Both.

I would have liked to have written myself the song “Nature Boy”, from Nat King Cole, and from David Bowie too. It’s an incredible song, one of the best songs in the world.

(I’d share a good talk with) Tina Turner or Michael Jackson. That’s a good idea. Or maybe with Houdini, but Houdini is not a musician, but he’s a very interesting character.

For me an excellent choreography is Elvis’ choreography in the ‘50s, with his leg like this *dances* It’s so simple and it’s perfect, we can do it today or in the ‘50s, and it’s interesting and very easy.

A song for Sunday mornings, maybe a song by the band First Aid Kit. It’s a band from Stockholm, two sisters. Or maybe a song by Jessie Ware, I like her.

My summer song, for me it’s a song by Paul Simon with the band Lady Blacksmith Mambazo, it’s the song “Graceland”. It also puts me in a good mood, the whole album, it’s incredible, I like it a lot.

My latest musical discovery are the songs by Of Monsters and Men. I love their videos too. And the song “Little Talks” is incredible, I love it.

Well, thanks, and I’m sorry for my terrible Spanish. This is my Gen 40. Until next time, I am Mika.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1