Important Questions for you lot...

Sunny Monkey

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's tricky one Sunny. To be honest the high activity on your site (& it is a brill site -well done!) at the moment is mostly due to Mika's sudden rise to success & high media profile . Whilst you will allways retain some loyal fans, you will probaly find that the activity tails off after the first few months max & then a fee may put people off (have you looked into whether other sites charge a fee?). I would think that advertising is your best bet even though pop-ups are very irritating they do generate much needed funds. Take the enthusaism of those willing to pay a fee at the moment with a pinch of salt - the reality may be different.

Good luck with the future of the website

It's tricky one Sunny. To be honest the high activity on your site (& it is a brill site -well done!) at the moment is mostly due to Mika's sudden rise to success & high media profile . Whilst you will allways retain some loyal fans, you will probaly find that the activity tails off after the first few months max & then a fee may put people off (have you looked into whether other sites charge a fee?). I would think that advertising is your best bet even though pop-ups are very irritating they do generate much needed funds. Take the enthusaism of those willing to pay a fee at the moment with a pinch of salt - the reality may be different.

Good luck with the future of the website

I have seen sites where the two options are combined - but don't know how easy it is to do technically. So there is advertising and pop ups for those who don't mind and who don't want to pay. But for those who pay a small fee you get to view the site free of ads. Personally I would be happy to pay a small fee. I would rather pay annually than be bothered with monthly.

I think it's a great site and has attracted a very unique and friendly lot of fans. Although the comon bond is obviously Mika, I think that this has the potential to become the type of internet community that I would regularly visit to chat about non-Mika things too.

Thanks for that. All going through my head already. Many other sites charge. U2, Jackson, etc etc Much higher fees, even now.

At the moment it is my hope that I will never have to charge. Just getting a general feeling "just in case" :)

FYI folks, I was looking up info yesterday about The Police tour announced this week. There's a subscription-based website that's been set up JUST for the tour info - remember this bit, it's not a general Police fan site. It offers members regular newsletters, merchandise discounts, advanced ticket booking, etc. etc. I thought it would be good to know about advanced ticket sales so clicked through to find out more.

Wait for it... $100!!!!

I want to go, but I think I'll wait a day longer for my tickets and sit a bit further back!

FYI folks, I was looking up info yesterday about The Police tour announced this week. There's a subscription-based website that's been set up JUST for the tour info - remember this bit, it's not a general Police fan site. It offers members regular newsletters, merchandise discounts, advanced ticket booking, etc. etc. I thought it would be good to know about advanced ticket sales so clicked through to find out more.

Wait for it... $100!!!!

I want to go, but I think I'll wait a day longer for my tickets and sit a bit further back!

Wow :shocked: It's really not that uncommon I guess, I'm a member of a so-called fanclub of a Japanese group, where I pay around the same and that's also only to be able to book tickets in advance...in case they should bother to stop by somewhere in Europe :doh: Seriously, the only other thing I get is a newsletter (which I do get sent to my house, but in Japanese :roftl: ) and it's mainly about food and make-up anyway :doh:

I really don't think it would be a problem to charge a bit for the excellent service we get here :mf_rosetinted:

Try this page to register for advance info about ticket sales for "The Police". It's free.

http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/artist/953901/?search_redirect=The%20Police&tm_link=tm_header_search

Once you have an account on there, you can add to your personalised list of performers you wish to be informed about when concerts coming up.

Mika doesn't appear to be available on that facility as yet - but I would imagine he will be fairly soon as there is no doubt his success will continue.

There's usually more than one place to get advance ticket info - sometimes you can register with Radio Stations which will do this, who may issue passwords to access presale, of which there might be more than one.

CW.

I have seen sites where the two options are combined - but don't know how easy it is to do technically. So there is advertising and pop ups for those who don't mind and who don't want to pay. But for those who pay a small fee you get to view the site free of ads. Personally I would be happy to pay a small fee. I would rather pay annually than be bothered with monthly.

I think it's a great site and has attracted a very unique and friendly lot of fans. Although the comon bond is obviously Mika, I think that this has the potential to become the type of internet community that I would regularly visit to chat about non-Mika things too.

If it was a combined site, maybe those who paid could be VIP members, and privvy to advance info, etc?

I agree about the annual fee too.