Important Questions for you lot...

Sunny Monkey

Ok serious note at the moment.... don't worry, not THAT serious yet.

This site is amazing. It is growing VERY quickly as you all know. Hell, when you go away from a site for an hour and come back to almost 300 posts you know its a great site.

The thing is, it takes lots of time and resources to run it and keep it running. I don't have any problem spending the time and money at the moment but I do have worries for the near future.

I need to start investigating larger servers (as some of you may have seen the "blips" in down time already) and that brings costs which i MAY not be able to cover out my pocket.

Anyway.. aside from a few weeks, this site has remained advertising free and I want to keep it that way. It's our club, and we love it.

My dilema is that originally, it was planned to have a VIP group where you would get a member card, newsletter every now and again, advanced dibs on tickets for gigs, access to exclusives etc. Now, because of the whole universal thing (WHICH WE WILL NOT GO INTO) we wont get access to the tickets or exclusives like we may have done. As such, I am a little stuck in how I will be able to monetise these forums to fund the running costs.

I don't think there is much argument over the fact of if this place is better than the official site (lol) right? :) And I will fund it as long as I can. But..

I need to know... what would you want as "paying" members.

OR I need to know if you would donate at all.

Or any other suggestions on how we can keep this site up.

This is not something that is going to happen straight away, and the site would remain as it is now for all people who are not paying etc so don't panic. :) I am just voicing a concern and an inevitable point that this site will hit as a result of pure economics :)

Looking forward to what you all think :)

Sunny

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, me first then. I would have no objection to paying a small fee (i'm sure I can find it somewhere ha ha). Do you think it would be possible to have, nights out, maybe on gig nights, where everyone going pre arranges on here to meet up first at a venue close to the gig and all go in together, not just maybe meet inside the venue, as if there are loads of people there it would be tricky to figure out who is from here and who isn't. I don't mean this to sound cliquey, but it would be good to put names to faces and get to know each other better.

That all goes without saying. :)

As for "small fee" what are people felling here? What if we said, £1 / $2 a month? That reasonable? Would add extra features into the site like larger inboxes, special user titles and colours, and some other bits as well as a membership card, some badges etc when you first join? :)

Sunny

I was already wondering how on earth you managed to keep this thing running, I have a forum like this one with half as many members and that one is crashing frequently :eek: I would have no problems at all with paying to be a member here (wow I must really like the place:shocked: ) as I know very well that it will be fairly expensive to keep it running when more people join and search around like maniacs not to miss anything (:fisch: )...I have never seen a forum this well kept and updated before, so please keep up the good work and send the bill to us :mf_rosetinted:

Wow, thanks for the comments and thoughts. Already a great insight into how to maybe proceed. I run this for me and for YOU so it's important that you get what you want :)

I will always try and give as much as possible to you all, free or paid. :)

Will wait for some more replies from other members as if only 5 or so people want to pay it could be a little tough hehe :) Very encouraging so far :)

Sunny

yep...count me in too ..I'd be happy to pay a few quid if it meant we could keep our lovely place going :thumb_yello:

I think a few of us have already got the idea for meet ups etc :naughty: and I would be happy to help organise anything like that in the future (I have some experience in organising fan meets/ conventions :) )

I know you dont want to get into it, but will universal not become more flexible in time, once the first major gigs are over and everyone has purchased over priced merchandise at the gigs and made them loads of money?

I think we would all like advance notice of gigs, competitions and for you to sell merchandise would make money for this site. I dont really know how all this works, but its fab site and I think £1 a month is fair, but maybe not sustainable taking into account getting new members? The badges on joining are good idea as long as they are exclusive otherwise ppl would not be too bothered, I think that for those of us who are here already(unless we get admitted to rehab) we will stick with you. But if CW leaves and we dont get all the fab knew news on Mika, then we have to get something else...How do other forums do it, I dont really understand why universal arent wanting to help, you are after all working VERY hard to promote their artist right? I am afraid it leaves me all rather :blink: Sorry to be of no help! :blush-anim-cl:

Universal loved the site. They got in touch with me, I went for a meeting. A week later they just said "conflict of interests" and went quiet occasionally asking posts be removed etc. I still have those posts.

I have no idea why they went from so keen to not keen, they have never said. I agree that it is CRAZY that they don't want us on board.

As for if CW left, I would take over the roll, but CW does such an amazing job there would be not point me writing it all up as well. That's not to belittle what CW does as it is very valuable and I would look to try and push some of the revenue that way if required / there was some left after hosting etc etc.

So, I agree, we do lots to promote Mika and pretty much the best and most up to date resource on the web for him. It would be nice if Universal took us on board, but there are also many benefits to not being tied into the editorial side of things inside their company ;)

Still need to see on the merchandise. If we find we get a green light on it, there may be no need to fees or any kind :)

Great input though, thank you! :)

---- I must go find some food now :)

I think Universal are possibly backing his Mikasounds and Myspace sites as they were (I think) already established, even though they don't appear to be as accessible as this one (well the Mikasounds one anyway, I still can't get in even though I'm registered on their memberlist).:thumbdown:

Can someone please explain? TOTALLY CONFUSED...

I may be dim but i just dont get it, are you talking about the mika sounds site that has a link to this forum, doesnt that make it related or the same? also are you taking about the sign up bit and secret society..i did both ages ago as confused if the same thing or different and so i get email updates and can access the "secret society" BUT there is nothing secret in it:blink: I am confused completely. I am not even sure which clubs I am a memebr off :blink: Decided to check out the Forum link as not much of anything from the others, so now I am here and moved in...am I doing something wrong..

also Mika my space is okay but this by far has the best info and people...:thumb_yello: