Sophie Ellis Bextor on MIKA

Lollipop

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's always the same with song lyrics - they're open to interpretation (all sort of) and you can use them, spin them, tear them and give them a meaning, which does not necessarily align with the original sense - in fact in most of all cases it does not. This can turn out to be quite dissatisfactory because unless the author feels like telling the world what exactly his lyrics are supposed to mean (to him) we can never be 100% right and it all remains pure spec.

It is like with those poem analyses you have to do at school. Good that those authors are all dead already, I bet otherwise most of them would either die of laughter or think the entire world has gone mad considering their works being over-analysed that way...

I have read or heard in some interview that Mika said he tends to use all kind of inspiration, even TV (LOL). So we can't tell if all his lyrics are inseparably bound to his very own experiences. If it was like this everything would already have been said and we could reduce him to a confuzzled bunch of features, like gay for Billy Brown, into big women for Big Girl, heartbroken for My Interpretation ... and so on and so forth. I don't think it is as easy as that.

Besides I think that Mika already shares a big part of his life with the public giving all the interviews and answering nearly all those questions, that we can leave it at that without dying of lack of detailed personal information.

Another aspect of the possibility of interpretation is a more positive one: you can also use song lyrics for yourself, make them part of your very own life and gain a very personal benefit out of them... well, at least that is what I do.

Well put! Sophie doesn't know what she's talking about. Not that I care if Mika is gay or not (I love him just as he is), but I don't think such an interpretation as this one is really accurate. Well, who knows.

Well put! Sophie doesn't know what she's talking about. Not that I care if Mika is gay or not (I love him just as he is), but I don't think such an interpretation as this one is really accurate. Well, who knows.

well she prob is aware of mika's sexuality,whatever it may be,and she just used the line to underline smth that is very clear IN HER MIND,having all the info

well she prob is aware of mika's sexuality,whatever it may be,and she just used the line to underline smth that is very clear IN HER MIND,having all the info

yea i agree, it just doesn't translate very well in print/to anyone else! They are good friends after all ...

Ellis-Bextor: I actually think he’s completely entitled to it. I know that Dan, someone I know as a gay musician, he was actually fine to talk about it, but it’s kinda beside the point. With Mika I kinda respect the fact that he doesn’t have to tell people everything. Why do we feel we have to know? I mean he’s got lyrics like ‘I tried to be like Grace Kelly, and I tried a little Freddie’. And if you want the answer, I think he’s kinda giving it to you.

Yeah... I think she got the meaning of these lyrics wrong. He's not talking about sexuality, or if he is, then he's lied through his teeth about the meaning in his podcast. He's just saying he's tried to be like all these artists that people want him to be, just so he can please them and get signed.

yea i agree, it just doesn't translate very well in print/to anyone else! They are good friends after all ...

Well...it's just one more confusing statement,no harm done in the end

we analyse,we get confused,we let it go

I don't think SEB intended to evoke rumors of any kind or harm the Mikster with her statement. And I'm pretty sure she regretted afterwards what she had said.

Yea for sure. I've met Sophie a few times and i know she cares a lot for Mika. Their families (like Mika's and Sophie's sisters) and bands are friends and she would never do anything to harm him at all.

he would be(already is) strangely attractive no matter what his sexual orientation is!!

Cant argue with that I find the whole package very attractive indeed, but then....I can only see part of the package, the hidden parts are attractively intriguing arn't they...like how you look through a whole in a covered shop window to see what's inside...or is that just me being a nosy cow :naughty:MOoooOOOOooooo