Houstonvoice.com - Suckin' too hard on my Mika-pop

(From Houstonvoice.com)

Suckin' too hard on my Mika-pop

Some gays may be mad at Mika for refusing to answer ever-looming questions about his sexuality. He's "come out" only to say that he wants a gay following and that the hype should be based on his music and not which gender he'd prefer to go home with. His 'Gay/Post-Gay/Not Gay?' cover of Out Magazine left a lot of people with a lot of time on their hands disappointed — a top-billed feature in a gay mag should've given us some answers.

I saw Mika last night at Washington's 9:30 Club. Maybe I want him to be gay so that my attraction to him can morph into mere admiration. Maybe I want him to be straight so that he defies stereotypes and, well, marries me. Because Mika's show was possibly the gayest thing I've ever seen — besides Rufus Wainwright getting crucified as the gay messiah.

Before doors opened, two Dorothy-like girls in blonde wigs and poufy dresses distributed lollipops to the crowd. Mika wore light green pants, a white T-shirt and suspenders that hung around his waist. He hopped around, curls bobbing, and sang the pop-liscious hits everyone had come to hear. There was nothing sexual about his performance; in fact, it was juvenile and playful. The crowd — consisting mostly of young girls and older gay men — was there to have fun, dance hard, suck on their lollipops and sing along.

So I guess I don't care about Mika's orientation. His Jackson 5 and Eurythmics cover choices and the fact that he made me cry with his song "Happy Ending" help me lean in a certain direction, but it really doesn't matter anymore. It should be all about his performance, and, after last night, it definitely is.

By Rebecca Armendariz, Online Editor

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thank you for posting this! i think she has a pretty good opinion when it comes to Mika. She should join the "I don't care" clan! lol "I guess i don't care" close enough! i was a little leary reading it at first but i think it has a good overall message.

(From Houstonvoice.com)

Some gays may be mad at Mika for refusing to answer ever-looming questions about his sexuality. He's "come out" only to say that he wants a gay following and that the hype should be based on his music and not which gender he'd prefer to go home with. His 'Gay/Post-Gay/Not Gay?' cover of Out Magazine left a lot of people with a lot of time on their hands disappointed — a top-billed feature in a gay mag should've given us some answers.

I saw Mika last night at Washington's 9:30 Club. Maybe I want him to be gay so that my attraction to him can morph into mere admiration. Maybe I want him to be straight so that he defies stereotypes and, well, marries me. Because Mika's show was possibly the gayest thing I've ever seen — besides Rufus Wainwright getting crucified as the gay messiah.

Before doors opened, two Dorothy-like girls in blonde wigs and poufy dresses distributed lollipops to the crowd. Mika wore light green pants, a white T-shirt and suspenders that hung around his waist. He hopped around, curls bobbing, and sang the pop-liscious hits everyone had come to hear. There was nothing sexual about his performance; in fact, it was juvenile and playful. The crowd — consisting mostly of young girls and older gay men — was there to have fun, dance hard, suck on their lollipops and sing along.

So I guess I don't care about Mika's orientation. His Jackson 5 and Eurythmics cover choices and the fact that he made me cry with his song "Happy Ending" help me lean in a certain direction, but it really doesn't matter anymore. It should be all about his performance, and, after last night, it definitely is.

I really like what you wrote. Once you see MIKA live, you realized how woderful this man is. :wub2: By the way, I hope I get a lollipop too:biggrin2: :biggrin2:

(From Houstonvoice.com)

Good article thanks.

Such a nice review! Thanks for posting! :thumb_yello:

But:

The crowd — consisting mostly of young girls and older gay men...

Hehe, from the reports on the forum I got the impression that the DC audience consisted mostly of 30+ women... :biggrin2:

Such a nice review! Thanks for posting! :thumb_yello:

But:

Hehe, from the reports on the forum I got the impression that the DC audience consisted mostly of 30+ women... :biggrin2:

LOL! Hey! I resemble that remark! :naughty:

But seriously... NOT sexual? I'm not sure exactly where she was looking

during Sweet Dreams... and no, he didn't take his shirt off, but oooooh,

baby... :blush-anim-cl:

But otherwise... it's a nice review. Better than one in today's Washington Post, for sure!

dcdeb

Wonderful article, what else can I say? It was about time the press realized what Mika really is like. Thanks a lot for posting it, it gives you hope on journalists:biggrin2:

Incidently, I agree in the part of marrying him: I WANT HIM TOO!!:wub2: :wub2:

Nice article!

I can watch mika live performances only in youtube,but this review transmits the magic of the shows...And talk very well about Mika in general of course...