2011 - MIKA @ Festival Mares Vivas, Oporto, Portugal 16 July - REPORTS/PICTURES/VIDEOS

Fmbm

We're back in scotland now! Thanks to everyone for posting the pro pics - they look GREAT! What a show. I have our pics and I'll post them in a minute.

Inside it was a bigger mess (have I mentioned before that there would be a second barrier inside? Hmmmm) When they opened it it was the most insane thing I've ever seen, people running, people falling, a dust cloud covering all of us... :bod: As I tweeted before and you could see on the pics, we got 1st and 2nd row, great places, if you ask me.

Oh yes the running way crazy! I was sprinting inside and people in front of me were dropping things - one dropped keys and the other her wallet, and they didn't even turn around! I picked them up and returned them but it was CRAZY! and the funniest part was all the people at the beer stands lining the sidewalk were clapping and cheering like it was a race LMAO

Superstar touched on it in her gig report. We had a proper M&G in Oakland. In fact they did one at all the US gigs I went to (I told you he loves those Americans :mosetinted:). They separated us into groups. I guess some were VIPs, contest winners, that sort of thing. We sat at tables and I think under normal circumstances Mika would have gone from table to table to meet people. But because he injured his foot he stood in one spot and people filed past him to chat and get photographs. Everyone got an individual photograph (I didn't because I already have pics with Mika and I felt bad that he was tired/injured, but it was expected that he would take a pic if I had asked.) I imagine every artist lays down their own rules about M&Gs but this is what I think is normally expected, at least in North America.

I'm thinking that another difference may be the absence of John.... he kind of organized and policed that M&G, made sure it all went smoothly, and he's not on this tour at all! I miss john :tears:

Almost forgot about the "funny facts" I was talking about earlier.

First, the look on people's faces looking at the Mika fans in costumes is priceless! ah: And no need to say the photographers went nuts! They took a gazillion pics of the flags, the signs, the costumes, everything! A few minutes after we got to the front row, I logged in on FB and saw a post from the Radio Comercial people "At the barriers there's a group of Mika fans, coming from all over the world, dressed in costumes, only to impress Mika!" :aah:

HAHA SO TRUE! We were a couple people down from Lollipop boy (Frank) and before EVERY SHOW he would have like 3-5 photographers mobbing around to get a pic. It was hilarious. And then when we were walking out of the fest, all the drunk people loved the costumes too.

Really love the lighting at these shows. The pics are beautiful.

Mika can stop wearing tights now though. This isn't a production of Amadeus. :naty:

Christine. You know that real men wear tights.

Mika cannot stop wearing tights. I love the tights. :mf_rosetinted:

The setlist.

He didn't play Touches You and ended with Lollipop instead of EMD! :thumb_yello:

p1010886r.jpg

THANK YOU FOR POSTING! Beautiful!

Dr. John

Blue Eyes

Thank you thank you! For all the videos!

To me it seemed as if Tindersticks were there for 4 months and Mika only for 20 minutes :s

I KNOW RIGHT! :lmao:

Seriously guys, you need to search for those Tindersticks on youtube to know how much we suffered... :boxed: it was beyond unfair :boxed:

+1! Go look up Tindersticks! Why were they even a band??!!?!?!?!?!?!!?

Apparently Ida hadn't broken her arm, she was at a wedding.

Easy to confuse the two :mf_rosetinted:

:lmfao: CLASSIC! The broken arm was a rumor that went around as we waited after the show.... hm. You're right silver, someone probably confused the two :roftl:

We're back in scotland now!

How great is Europe? Portugal in the morning and Scotland in the afternoon :naughty:

I'm thinking that another difference may be the absence of John.... he kind of organized and policed that M&G, made sure it all went smoothly, and he's not on this tour at all! I miss john :tears:

Actually someone from Mika's management company was arranging the M&G but yes, John is missed for many reasons.

I have to say Mrs P did a fantastic job on his costume though. At first I wondered if they didn't get a designer to make it but I notice the trademark scallop design on the pockets so it must be a Penniman creation. I don't know how they keep it so clean either. It looks spotless at every show! :shocked:

In one blog iMMa wrote: "I then went to the Pennimans for a fitting for the new outfits for Compiegne and Corsica... WOW WOW WOW!! They are incredible - such an amazing eye for style and outfits!!"

How great is Europe? Portugal in the morning and Scotland in the afternoon :naughty:

Actually someone from Mika's management company was arranging the M&G but yes, John is missed for many reasons.

I love it!! Aint nothin like the USA. :naughty: And yes. Mika's management is great but John is the best. Were you there when his phone rang in Oakland and his ringtone was WAG? And everyone checked their phone? :roftl:

I digress... pics up in ONE MINUTE!

Oh my god. :aah: I've had a nightmare putting up pics. I hope this works...

iMMa before Mika came on:

MIKAGig083.jpg

MIKAGig086.jpg

MIKAGig092.jpg

MIKAGig095.jpg

MIKAGig099-1.jpg

MIKAGig114.jpg

Front row picture:

MIKAGig075.jpg

After the show!(pic of Mika didn't shrink for some reason, but I'll try it later. You can just imagine it here...)

Observe the Converse per capita in this pic

MIKAGig127-1.jpg

Portuguese fan club

MIKAGig126.jpg

Edited by superstar

Is anyone else still singing that "Mares Vivas" song? No cabedelo! :mf_rosetinted:

Edit: FOUND IT!

NO! not that song again :aah::aah: I heard it a billion times on the radio last night and was trying to avoid it for the rest of my life :roftl:

Let's see, where to start. It was lovely meeting all those new and old faces and I had a great time in the queue (thanks to everyone for giving me food hehe).

Going inside was hectic, lost my shoes during the running so I went back, grabbed them and kept running like a trooper with no shoes on. Over stones and ****. It hurt. Survival of the fittest.

Aurea was quite nice, I enjoyed it and we were dancing like crazy. Tindersticks made me want to kill myself. Cranberries were really nice although by that time my feet were killing me, I was tired and wet and wanted to slap a random person just because I could. I didn't though, 'cause I'm cool like that.

Aaaanywaaaysssss. Mika was great as usual. Not the best gig of our tour (That was Liege) but he was still great, although he looked and sounded kind of tired to us (that is Laura and me, I'm not schizophrenic). Imma was great as usual, so was the rest of the band bla bla. Ben was way better as well, I liked him. It seems like he adjusted well to the Mikaness of all things.

After the gig we wandered to wherever the hell he might come out. Luckily, it was on the way back to the hotel, huray! He came out and immediately people started mobbing him, so we just stayed back. I wanted to ask him something but figured it wasn't worth fighting my way through the crowd and I know that I will get another chance. We did comment on the mobbing situation and we provided comic relief with our rendition of 'Move Bitch, get out the way' and Laura's 'Whatever happened to a good old fashioned British queue.' It made him smile a little in all the panic.

I do understand if you've never met him before that you get over-excited. Still, there were MANY people who've met him MANY times, who can't seem to grasp the concept of what we call; respect, fairness and getting your big ass out of the way after you've had your turn. We weren't too bothered that we didn't get to speak to him, although it would've been a nice way to finish our trip, but we know that there's a next time and we were lucky in Belgium. What was disgusting about this all, was watching it from a distance as he tried to get away and mentioned this several times, but in the end security had to step in to drag him away. Which is always a bad sign.

About the numbers thing. As a wise person once said (5 seconds ago, it was Laura): 'A queue without numbers, is not a queue without numbers, it's just a motherf*cking queue.'

It is a festival. Mika is not the only artist, even if he's last on. The other groups are NOT support acts. Numbers should be for gigs where it says MIKA on the ticket and on the sign above the door on the venue. No matter how you put it, numbers should not be used at festivals. We've become quite selfish and just expect to get in first because of the luxury given to us during the past tour. Luckily, we were able to get rid of them at the festival, even though it pissed certain people off (dilligaf).

Besides, haven't we learned the hard way? Anyone remember Compiegne? How did the numbers work out for you there? It does not work, unless someone from the organisation is there (JOHN COME BACK!).

To conclude this essay, this was a nice ending for our trip, although b*tches should stop mobbing Mika like he is a fascinating monkey in a zoo.

Ps. on a more positive note, Laura promised to upload her fan-f*cking-tastic videos of Happy Ending and Elle me Dit on Tuesday, after she's been to the hospital.

Now I shall pack my bag and go home to Clogland. I have to wake up at 3 in the freaking morning. FML.

Let's see, where to start. It was lovely meeting all those new and old faces and I had a great time in the queue (thanks to everyone for giving me food hehe).

Yes, I know my cake was delicious, you can say it out loud! :mf_rosetinted:

I do understand if you've never met him before that you get over-excited. Still, there were MANY people who've met him MANY times, who can't seem to grasp the concept of what we call; respect, fairness and getting your big ass out of the way after you've had your turn. We weren't too bothered that we didn't get to speak to him, although it would've been a nice way to finish our trip, but we know that there's a next time and we were lucky in Belgium. What was disgusting about this all, was watching it from a distance as he tried to get away and mentioned this several times, but in the end security had to step in to drag him away. Which is always a bad sign.

Or at least let others get out instead of creating a huge human cocoon with Mika inside. :lmfao: After I got my pic signed I kept saying to Liliana "get in front of me, go get your ticket signed or something", same to Wonka Junior. yeah...and getting out of that place? Sure... Only when he started heading back to the car. :boxed:

About the numbers thing. As a wise person once said (5 seconds ago, it was Laura): 'A queue without numbers, is not a queue without numbers, it's just a motherf*cking queue.'

It is a festival. Mika is not the only artist, even if he's last on. The other groups are NOT support acts. Numbers should be for gigs where it says MIKA on the ticket and on the sign above the door on the venue. No matter how you put it, numbers should not be used at festivals. We've become quite selfish and just expect to get in first because of the luxury given to us during the past tour. Luckily, we were able to get rid of them at the festival, even though it pissed certain people off (dilligaf).

:groupwave:

Btw, have a nice trip back home! Hope to meet you all again someday! :biggrin2:

We did comment on the mobbing situation and we provided comic relief with our rendition of 'Move Bitch, get out the way' and Laura's 'Whatever happened to a good old fashioned British queue.' It made him smile a little in all the panic.

It is a festival. Mika is not the only artist, even if he's last on. The other groups are NOT support acts. Numbers should be for gigs where it says MIKA on the ticket and on the sign above the door on the venue. No matter how you put it, numbers should not be used at festivals. We've become quite selfish and just expect to get in first because of the luxury given to us during the past tour. Luckily, we were able to get rid of them at the festival, even though it pissed certain people off (dilligaf)

:teehee: Thanks for your report, I love it :roftl:

And you made me learn a word (in bold) or rather, an abbreviation that could be useful in the future :thumb_yello::naughty:

Ya think? :mf_rosetinted:

I know so. I felt so sorry for him, I wanted to scream at them to leave him alone when he was clearly trying to get to his car.

Anyways, Mary's cake is amazzzing and I shall forever recall the heavenly taste on my tongue.

I know so. I felt so sorry for him, I wanted to scream at them to leave him alone when he was clearly trying to get to his car.

Anyways, Mary's cake is amazzzing and I shall forever recall the heavenly taste on my tongue.

aw, :sad: now i want some of that cake :aah: *flies to Portugal* :teehee:

aw, :sad: now i want some of that cake :aah: *flies to Portugal* :teehee:

Next Mika gig I go to, there will be cake. :mf_rosetinted: Now...WHO will taste it...it's up to you guys!

FLY TO MEEEEE! COME TASTE THE BEST CAKE IN THE W....ok I'll stop now. :mf_rosetinted:

Next Mika gig I go to, there will be cake. :mf_rosetinted: Now...WHO will taste it...it's up to you guys!

FLY TO MEEEEE! COME TASTE THE BEST CAKE IN THE W....ok I'll stop now. :mf_rosetinted:

i'll keep that in mind:teehee::naughty::roftl:

I can't possibly describe everything that happened, but here goes my best attempt...

Wow! Meeting everyone was AMAZING! You guys are all great! Talking to everyone (in Spanish or English :naughty:) was really fun, and I feel like I've met some truly wonderful individuals! Spending time with you both on Friday and Saturday was so fun! Thanks for putting up with us Americans, Y'ALL!

Queueing was looooong, but really fun! Yeah, we probably didn't need to be there at noon, but hanging out with all of you guys was really enjoyable. Ingie does the best American impression :bleh: And the red hair spray was such a good idea! Yessssssss.

Once we got inside... AY! It was much longer, and much more squashed than Oakland. I definitely have bruises today from the barrier. The other shows... Aurea was pretty entertaining, Tindersticks were really dull, and the Cranberries were good, but I was pretty miserable by that point. I definitely preferred the concert experience to standing for 7 hours, cold, wet, tired, and really nervous...

However, it's pretty amazing how you can go from utterly miserable to completely elated within about three seconds, when you hear the opening notes of Relax... WOW! The gig was, of course, absolutely fantastic. My feelings about it were basically summed up by what Mika said:

"I know you're wet. I know you're cold. But in 10 minutes, you're not going to f***ing care."

Or something like that. How accurate it was... Left side "definitely" won in BIOTG (That's right!) though apparently it's usually the right. :naughty: Happy Ending stuck out as particularly good: I almost forgot how beautiful that high note is... I melted a little bit :wub2:. Nothing unusual, just the same old best show ever :biggrin2:

It was over way too soon, and we walked over to meet him... The M&G/Conversation/Whatever you want to call it was good, but I really wish I had gotten a chance to talk to Mika... I felt like I couldn't get close to him, even after he asked to talk to us, without pushing someone else out of the way... However, him asking "Where are the Americans?" was definitely an amazing thing to hear, even if I didn't get a chance to really talk to him like Kira did. He still signed my SFS, and looked me in the eyes when he handed it back... I know he does that with everyone, but it felt like a minute instead of a second, and it was wonderful. He's really charming :blush-anim-cl:. Still, I definitely preferred how it was in Oakland, where everyone got a chance to talk to him individually and get a picture, and I didn't feel like by getting closer, I would be getting in front of someone else. Aah well, it was still better than not seeing him at all!

Overall, it was discomfort followed by all my wildest dreams coming true! Did I prefer not having to wait for hours, get mushed, or, worst of all, see Tindersticks in Oakland? Yes. Was it still absolutely worth it? HECK YES! Mika is a truly amazing performer, with truly amazing music, and seeing him live again was fantastic.