Mika finally happy again - Nieuwsblad (Belgian) - 27/09/2012

smokesignal

I found this, and there's a remark in it we haven't seen before, so I'll see what I can do about a translation. Edit: it's here http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3806825&postcount=6

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/article/detail.aspx?articleid=DMF20120926_00312583

Mika eindelijk weer gelukkig

‘Het vreselijke ongeval van mijn zus deed me inzien dat er belangrijker zaken zijn dan muziek’, zegt Mika.

Mika is terug en na zijn outing voelt hij zich eindelijk weer goed in zijn vel. ‘Ik heb me heel eenzaam gevoeld, maar nu heb ik weer iets te vertellen. Maar of ik homo ben of niet, dat zou niet belangrijk hoeven te zijn.’

Met zijn doorbraakhit Grace Kelly en een debuutalbum dat acht miljoen keer over de toonbank ging, werd Mika (29) vijf jaar geleden een superster, maar na een resem hits werd het wat stiller rond de Libanees/Amerikaanse Brit. Nu doorbreekt hij de stilte met zijn nieuwe album The origin of love . ‘Is een derde album uitbrengen routine voor mij? Elke plaat staat voor een fase in mijn leven, en omdat ik alles zélf creëer, voelt het iedere keer weer als een nieuw begin’, vertelt Mika ons aan de telefoon. ‘Deze keer ging het met veel vreugde gepaard, soms gaat het wat moeilijker.’

Je vorige album was alleszins een stuk donkerder.

‘Ik voelde me toen heel eenzaam en ongelukkig. De liedjes van mijn debuutalbum heb ik geschreven omringd door vrienden op de muziekschool, allemaal mensen die in mij geloofden. Die fundering werd plots weggevaagd en ik was helemaal verloren. Dat eerste album verkocht miljoenen en daarna werd ik in de studio gedropt. Komaan, geef ons snel nog een plaat. Alsof ik een citroen was die snel moest worden uitgeperst.’

De druk was deze keer nog groter dan?

‘Aanvankelijk wel, maar dan nam Het Leven over en werd dat voor een poos belangrijker dan muziek. Mijn zuster had een vreselijk ongeluk (ze viel uit een raam, werd gespiest op een hek en had maanden nodig om te herstellen, nvdr.) en ik besefte ineens dat er belangrijker zaken waren dan muziek. Ik begon dus weer te léven, en ineens had ik weer iets te vertellen. Alsof iemand mijn hoofd vastgenomen had en mij recht in mijn gezicht sloeg, ik was weer wakker. Alle ego die rond mijn muziek hing, verdween, en dat moest ook. Ik pakte mijn koffer en ging op reis. Toen ik terugkwam van de luchthaven reed ik recht naar de studio waar ik werkte met muzikanten die me konden inspirereren. Dezelfde nacht schreef ik de titeltrack. Ik ben acht maanden niet meer naar huis gegaan, ik bleef maar nummers schrijven. Alleen de plaat afwerken was a pain in the ass , omdat ik het mezelf moeilijk maakte door zoveel muzikale stijlen met elkaar te vermengen.’

Enkele maanden geleden kwam je uit de kast, zoals dat heet.

‘Uit de kast komen: ik hààt die uitdrukking. We should burn it .’

Voelde je je bevrijd nadat je gezegd had dat je homo was?

‘Ik weet niet of het alleen daardoor kwam. De opluchting van gewoon weer leuke muziek te kunnen maken zoals bij mijn eerste album, had invloed op mijn hele leven. Mijn nieuwe relatie maakte alles beter, gemakkelijker, gelukkiger. Ik kreeg meer zelfvertrouwen. Ik had eindelijk het gevoel dat ik als persoon mocht evolueren en volwassen worden zonder dat mijn muziek daaronder zou lijden. Op dat moment besliste ik dat het tijd was om klare wijn te schenken over mijn geaardheid. Niet voor iedereen, gewoon voor degenen die het belangrijk vonden. Want voor velen is het niét belangrijk, en dat zou het ook niet hoeven te zijn. In dat bewuste interview wilde ik zeggen dat ik homo ben, en ik zou praten alsof ik tegen de dertienjarige versie van mezelf bezig was. De jongen die niet wist wat zijn outing teweeg zou brengen en niet wist hoe hij met zijn leven moest omgaan. Zo zijn er vandaag nog veel jongeren. Daarom was het belangrijk het te vertellen.’

Een van de beste nummers op het album is ‘I only love you when I’m drunk’. Wat vond je vriend daarvan?

‘Dat nummer gaat over een ex-vriend. Ik heb hem met dit liedje vreselijk gekwetst. Hij moest huilen toen ik het hem liet horen. Ik zei dat hij er de humor van moest inzien. Maar ik geef toe: het is redelijk wreed.’ (lacht smakelijk)

Op de cover van het album lijk je een beetje op een Griekse of een Romeinse god. Voel je je zo?

‘Helemaal niet. Het tegenovergestelde, ik voel me een clown, en daar ben ik blij mee. Het betekent dat ik de absurditeit van het leven kan omarmen, het hoeft niet zo serieus te zijn. Op het eerste gezicht lijkt het of ik een kroon draag, maar het zijn gewoon de letters van mijn naam. Die humor moet de mensen kietelen, zodat ze zich afvragen wat ik nu eigenlijk wil zeggen. En met die instelling moet je naar de liedjes luisteren.

Edited by smokesignal

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And a translation

Mika finally happy again

"The terrible accident of my sister made me realize that there are more important things than music," says Mika.

Mika is back and after his coming out and finally he feels good again. "I felt very lonely, but now I have something to say again. But whether I'm gay or not should not have to be important. "

With his breakthrough hit Grace Kelly and a debut album that sold eight million copies, Mika (29) became a superstar five years ago, but after a series of hits it became quieter around the Lebanese / American Brit. Now he breaks the silence with his new album The origin of love. "Is bringing out a third album routine for me? Each record represents a stage in my life, and because I create everything myself, it feels like a new beginning every time," tells Mika us on the phone. "This time it was accompanied with a lot of joy, sometimes it's a little harder."

Your previous album was certainly a lot darker.

"Then I felt very lonely and unhappy. I wrote the songs from my debut album surrounded by friends at music college, who believed in me. That foundation was suddenly wiped out and I was completely lost. That first album sold millions and then I was dropped in the studio. Come on, give us another record quickly. Like a lemon that quickly needed to be squeezed. "

So was the pressure even bigger this time?

"At first, but then Life took over and that for a while that became more important than music. My sister had a terrible accident (she fell out of a window, was impaled on a fence and needed months to recover, ed.) And I suddenly realized that there were more important things than music. So I began to live again, and suddenly I had something to tell again. As if someone had taken my head and hit me right in my face, I was awake again. All ego around my music disappeared, and it had to. I took my suitcase and left. When I came back from the airport I drove straight to the studio where I worked with musicians that could inspire me. The same night I wrote the title track. I didn't go home for eight months, I kept writing songs. Just finishing plate was a pain in the ass, because I made it so difficult for myself by mixing so many musical styles. "

Several months ago you came out of the closet, as it is called.

"Out of the closet: I hate that expression. We should burn it. "

Did you feel liberated after you said you were gay?

"I do not know if it was just that. The relief of just making fun music again, like on my first album, influenced my entire life. My new relationship made everything better, easier, happier. I got more confidence. I finally felt that I as a person could evolve and mature without having my music suffer from it. At that moment I decided that it was time to clear up my orientation. Not for everyone, just for those to whom it was important. Because for many it is not important, and it should not have to be. In that particular interview I wanted to say that I'm gay, and I would talk as if I was talking to the thirteen year old version of myself. The boy who did not know what his coming out would cause and did not know how he should deal with his life. There are many young people like that today still. Therefore, it was important to tell. "

One of the best songs on the album is "I only love you when I'm drunk." What did your boyfriend say?

"That song is about an ex-boyfriend. I hurt him terribly him with this song. He cried when I let him hear it. I said he had to see the humour in it. But I admit: it's pretty cruel. "(Laughs... the literal translation is laughs tasty, I don't know a good translation for that one)

On the cover of the album you look a bit like a Greek or Roman god. Do you feel that?

"Not at all. The opposite, I feel like a clown, and I'm happy about that. It means I can embrace absurdity of life, it does not have to be serious. At first sight it seems that I wear a crown, but it's just the letters of my name. That humour should tickle people, so they wonder what I really want to say. That's the attitude you should have when listening to the songs.

One of the best songs on the album is "I only love you when I'm drunk." What did your boyfriend say?

"That song is about an ex-boyfriend. I hurt him terribly him with this song. He cried when I let him hear it. I said he had to see the humour in it. But I admit: it's pretty cruel. "(Laughs... the literal translation is laughs tasty, I don't know a good translation for that one)

:doh: oh Mika ... bad man :naughty:

Thanks for post and translation :flowers2:

:doh: oh Mika ... bad man :naughty:

Thanks for post and translation :flowers2:

I feel so sorry for the poor guy. Being Mika's boyfriend should come with a health warning.

I didn't get that tweet by then now i understand..dumb wonka...:doh:

Any idea of when he tweeted it ? :>

I did not check tweeter than often :doh:

It made me smile as OLYWID is one of my favourites on the CD ;) haha~

I knew "Rain" was about a break up but I didn't know it was about a real break up xD

I thought he had stayed with someone for 5 years before breaking up with him before/after Paloma's accident...

Edited by Kaito

It's a bit weird to be tweeting that, but I'm guessing it was a different broken heart. It was a bit long ago to relate to this song, wasn't it?

It could have been 10 years ago for all we know. :dunno:

It doesn't sound like much of a real relationship to me. More the "well I've gotten to know you for the past 3 months and this obviously isn't going anywhere so it's time to move on" type of thing. :naughty: