Mika bans Boyzone cover

lcmlcm

THE going is getting tough in the BOYZONE camp just two days after I revealed they are getting back together.

Their plans for a comeback single have been thrown into chaos by...MIKA.

RONAN KEATING, SHANE LYNCH, MIKEY GRAHAM, STEPHEN GATELY and KEITH DUFFY wanted to release a track written by the flamboyant singer for their big return.

Mika penned the song, called I Gave It All Away, for other acts to buy and release.

But after Boyzone recorded it the Grace Kelly star decided they were “too cheesy” — and BANNED their version.

An industry insider told me: “Mika wrote the song and made it available for other artists.

“Boyzone loved it. They thought it was perfect to launch their comeback so they recorded it and it sounded great — a certain No1.

“Just like the title of the track, Mika gave it all away. But then he took it back again.”

Boyzone — who had a No1 single with When The Going Gets Tough in 1999 — have been left gutted. A spokesman for the band said: “It’s a real shame because it’s an incredible song and we all loved it.”

I’ve heard the track and I think Mika is being a spoilsport for not allowing Ronan and Co to release it.

It sounds like a classic Boyzone song and surely it’s best it goes to an act who can do it justice.

It would have been a huge No1 for Boyzone and Mika’s decision has cost him a fortune.

I reckon the single could have made him £250,000.

Yet despite being hardly the most high-brow of artists himself, he simply does not want Boyzone performing his material.

A source close to Mika revealed: “He is keen to start writing for other pop artists as well as himself. But Boyzone isn’t really what he had in mind.

“He was hoping to work with some more interesting artists — Boyzone are a bit too cheesy.”

Before they split seven years ago the Boyz notched up six No1 singles and four chart-topping albums in the UK.

They will perform a medley of their hits for the BBC’s Children In Need telethon later this month.

They are yet to sign a new record deal but are thrashing out plans for a new album and tour, as well as the single.

Mika’s snub is a setback. But When All Is Said And Done, I’m sure the comeback will be a hit.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article434019.ece

:boxed:

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...strange

Thats interesting. Boyzone? ahem... haha

If they're gonna come back, why don't they write their own material? i mean come on. it makes no sense.

Exactly my point..

Especially a come back

I understand maybe any other song, but a come back song? I'm thinking that should be their own...

THE going is getting tough in the BOYZONE camp just two days after I revealed they are getting back together.

Their plans for a comeback single have been thrown into chaos by...MIKA.

RONAN KEATING, SHANE LYNCH, MIKEY GRAHAM, STEPHEN GATELY and KEITH DUFFY wanted to release a track written by the flamboyant singer for their big return.

Mika penned the song, called I Gave It All Away, for other acts to buy and release.

But after Boyzone recorded it the Grace Kelly star decided they were “too cheesy” — and BANNED their version.

An industry insider told me: “Mika wrote the song and made it available for other artists.

“Boyzone loved it. They thought it was perfect to launch their comeback so they recorded it and it sounded great — a certain No1.

“Just like the title of the track, Mika gave it all away. But then he took it back again.”

Boyzone — who had a No1 single with When The Going Gets Tough in 1999 — have been left gutted. A spokesman for the band said: “It’s a real shame because it’s an incredible song and we all loved it.”

I’ve heard the track and I think Mika is being a spoilsport for not allowing Ronan and Co to release it.

It sounds like a classic Boyzone song and surely it’s best it goes to an act who can do it justice.

It would have been a huge No1 for Boyzone and Mika’s decision has cost him a fortune.

I reckon the single could have made him £250,000.

Yet despite being hardly the most high-brow of artists himself, he simply does not want Boyzone performing his material.

A source close to Mika revealed: “He is keen to start writing for other pop artists as well as himself. But Boyzone isn’t really what he had in mind.

“He was hoping to work with some more interesting artists — Boyzone are a bit too cheesy.”

Before they split seven years ago the Boyz notched up six No1 singles and four chart-topping albums in the UK.

They will perform a medley of their hits for the BBC’s Children In Need telethon later this month.

They are yet to sign a new record deal but are thrashing out plans for a new album and tour, as well as the single.

Mika’s snub is a setback. But When All Is Said And Done, I’m sure the comeback will be a hit.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article434019.ece

:boxed:

This has got me worried! It could damage Mika's reputation and the respect he has from other artists.

If he wasn't using the song, and had made it available to other artists, I honestly don't see what the problem is. Boyzone are sure to still have a lot of fans and probably would have been number 1. I can understand, that Mika may have not liked their version of his song, but maybe he shouldn't have offered it to them in the first place.

I think it would have been great for Mika to have a song, sung by a major boy band (or whatever they are now) at number one. It would have been a big thing for him. Boyzone could write their own song, but i think it would have been an honour for them to do a Mika song. It shows they love his work and respect him as a songwriter. I am worried now, how this is going to look to people who are not Mika's fans.

I honestly don't understand why he gave them the song, and then took it back. I'm sorry, I love him, but I think he was wrong and he's given his critics plenty of ammunition to use against him.

Love today, from Marilyn

Wow that's pretty outrageous and I hope it's not entirely true. I mean why did they even record a song before they had secured the rights? It doesn't make any sense.

Obviously Mika can pick and choose who he licenses his songs to and for what purpose, but these things are negotiated up front. He's not going to tell them to go record it and get back to him so he can decide whether it's too cheesy for them to use or not.

Not knowing all the details, I can't say I'm surprised. After all, Mika re-recorded and remastered and re-jigged his own album HOW many times? It's no secret the boy's a perfectionist.

He's said that he likes the fact that his songs can't be properly performed by anyone else (as in, karaoke) and I wonder if that extends to songs that he attempts to put on the open market. I think his inner songwriter would love to pen music for others, and expand the writing side of his career - but I wouldn't be surprised if he's having some kind of inner struggle between that desire, and his perfectionist side.

I can only imagine what that song's lyrics are about.

I think we need to get Mika's side of the story. All stories have two sides, and the papers are only going to print the side they prefer. It's all very confusing, because Mika isn't a spiteful person. If he offered the song to Boyzone, then took it back (as I said before) he was wrong to do that. But I've been thinking about it a lot since my last post, and I don't believe Mika would refuse them the song, without a good reason. Could Mika possibly make a statement to us, with his side of things? Then, at least we would know how to support him in this, because we would know the truth. As I said before, this could damage his reputation if people think he is selfish and spiteful, when he isn't.

I have a thread about Mika in The Sun Forum. I could go onto the thread and tell his side of the story, if we knew what his side of it really is.

Love again, from Marilyn

Not knowing all the details, I can't say I'm surprised. After all, Mika re-recorded and remastered and re-jigged his own album HOW many times? It's no secret the boy's a perfectionist.

yep!

quotes from his interview i read a few days ago

"(I) scrap websites six times, or remix my album. I went through eleven mixes of one song... not remixes, actual mixes. I remastered the album four times…."

"I've made people cry making this album and I'll probably continue doing that till I stop making records, that's part of the job"

That's him :biggrin2:

I think we need to get Mika's side of the story. All stories have two sides, and the papers are only going to print the side they prefer. It's all very confusing, because Mika isn't a spiteful person. If he offered the song to Boyzone, then took it back (as I said before) he was wrong to do that. But I've been thinking about it a lot since my last post, and I don't believe Mika would refuse them the song, without a good reason. Could Mika possibly make a statement to us, with his side of things? Then, at least we would know how to support him in this, because we would know the truth. As I said before, this could damage his reputation if people think he is selfish and spiteful, when he isn't.

I have a thread about Mika in The Sun Forum. I could go onto the thread and tell his side of the story, if we knew what his side of it really is.

Love again, from Marilyn

you are right..maybe he has reason to do this. or at least a reason that makes sense. We have to find out his side of his story. I can't see him doing something like this without good reason.

If he offered the song to Boyzone, then took it back (as I said before) he was wrong to do that.

I can't imagine it's a case of Mika offering up his songs to anyone and then taking them back. They are for sale and Mika either licensed this song to Boyzone or he didn't. The terms should have been negotiated and finalized before the band went and recorded anything.

This story doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless they just did a quick demo for him in order to convince him to let them use the song.

Well done Mika !I never liked that band !

Thanks for posting this article !

:naughty: Me neither, very cheesy indeed.

Go Mika, be stubburn when it comes to your music.

For me he shouldn't sell songs, he should record them all himself. He will never find someone who does it better. :wub2: