Mika in SPIN Magazine

mandilambi

I got my copy of Spin yesterday and was so glad to see Mika's photoshoot in this copy! I don't have a scanner, so I quickly took some pictures for you all to see the photoshoot. The article itself discusses many of the items surrounding him, which are, I'm assuming, some of his prized possessions (the article and he never actually states that).

l_66feceba432d4ad1a88148030807f26d.jpg

l_0e20cfe1840f4d22a3e4ffb4fce4fada.jpg

Article below:

Christian Louboutin Shoes: I'm the only man in the world he makes shoes for. He uses me as an experiment to see what he can get away with. He even has a wooden model of my feet.

Donald Duck Shelby Bike: There are only a few of these in the world. They were put out around 1949 and failed, so they were discontinued. I found this one in Georgia. I don't even know how to ride a bike, but I think it's reall sweet.

Chinese Wish Pig: When my friends and I were as music college, we were miserable. So I thought we could all put in a wish, and in 30 years we'd crack it open and see whether it had come true. I haven't put mine in yet because I haven't decided what's truly important.

Jim Woodring Artwork: He's a self-taught cult illustrator from Seattle. This is the rabbit-like creature Frank, who I think the rabbit in the movie Donnie Darko was based on. Frank exists in a surrealist, poetic, comic-book world where everything's very dreamlike.

Miniature Theater: It's fully operational--119 working lights. When I got signed,I spent half the money on paying off (debts) and the other half on this.

Union Jack Tapestry: I love that it's covered in flowers and butterflies--the Union Jack is so often associated with bad nationalism. Having grown up in so many places, I'm not shackled by patriotism.

Mad Magazine Cover Art: This is my most expensive purchase. At one point, Mad sold the original artwork for their legendary covers. I've got three. Alfred E. Neuman is one of the greatest American characters ever created. He's the naughty child of the 1950s.

Palestinian Tapestry: I saw this in a street market in Damascus. I know that sounds ****y, but it's true. It's very similar to Lebanese tapestries, which were all over our walls when I was growing up.

Tintin Figure: I was born in Beirut but grew up in Paris with French characters. Tintin was the ultimate because he's the perfect combination of adulthood, boyhood, and agelessness.

Maggi Hambling Painting: I'm a big fan of hers. She was a contemporary of [british painters] David Hockney and Howard Hodgkin. I think she's suffered because her style has changed so radically throughout her career, and that's one of the most radical and noncommerical things you can do as a fine artist. Consistency is what sells.

Also they did a review of TBWKTM:

Trying manfully to make musical theater cool

Self-absorbed and awkwardly exhibitionistic, Mika would be the Bruno of platinum piano pop if he didn't ground his giddiness with old-fashioned chops. This Beirut-born Brit's songwriting craft and vocal dazzle may be flagrantly uncool, but they're also refreshingly unencumbered : Nixing the sappy bits that dampened his debut, he writes the hooks from your parents' favorite Bon Jovi/Belinda Carlisle hits into earnest proclamations of teenage eccentricity, then waves his jazz hands in naysayers' faces -- Barry Walters

For anyone that will be looking for this issue -- it's the October issue with Pearl Jam on the cover.

Edited by mandilambi

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, if I had time on Monday, I'd check the shop out. Next time I'm up in London, perhaps.

I have several Mad Magazine paperback books, don't know if they are worth anything, but wouldn't sell them anyway, love reading them too much.

We have a shop here that does TinTin wood statues, really nice they are too.