What does you name mean

DIANA

Usage: English, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, German, Romanian, Russian, Lithuanian, Roman Mythology

Other Scripts: Диана (Russian)

Pronounced: die-AN-a (English), dee-AH-nah (German)

Probably derived from an old Indo-European root meaning "heavenly, divine", related to dyeus (see ZEUS). Diana was a Roman goddess of the moon, hunting, forests, and childbirth, often identified with the Greek goddess Artemis. Diana Spencer, the Princess of Wales, was a famous bearer of this name.

Edit: My parents just thought it sounded nice. :naughty:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

JOYCE

Usage: English

Pronounced: JOIS

From the (masculine) medieval name Josse, which was derived from the earlier Joceus or Jodocus, Latinized forms of the Breton name Jodoc meaning "lord". The name belonged to a 7th-century Breton saint. This first name also formed the basis for a surname, as in the case of the novelist James Joyce.

Thx a lot for posting this!!! I've always thought that my name was meaning joy!!!

It seems that my parents love the names which meaning God or lord...coz my brother's name is Emmanuel= "God is with us"

INGRID

Usage: Scandinavian, German

Pronounced: ING-grit (German) [key]

From the Old Norse name Ingríðr meaning "Ing is beautiful", derived from the name of the Norse god ING combined with fríðr "beautiful". A famous bearer was Ingrid Bergman, a Swedish actress.

I guess I was named after Ingrid Bergman:naughty: I'm not Beautiful as my name says I should be. If I wasn't called Ingrid, I'd probably be a Sylvia right now. What do you consider to be better?

Hilary-ancient rome,spanish

Roman name which was derived from Latin hilaris meaning "cheerful". Alternatively, it could be derived from the Greek name ‘Ιλαρος (Hilaros) also meaning "cheerful" (the Greek word ‘ιλαρος was the source of the Latin word hilaris). Saint Hilarius was a 4th-century theologian and bishop of Poitiers. This was also the name of a 5th-century pope.

i'm usually cheerful...good job mom!

If that's the case, you can blame your parents! :naughty:

Yeah i do, i actually don't like my name it's sooooooo boring!!!

Just for the fun heres what it means:

Andrea

Andrea, a 3-syllable girl's name of Anglo-Saxon/Italian origin, means: Womanly.

Andrea's ethnic backgrounds include Italian, German, Greek and Hungarian. Historical figures with this name include Andrea Doria (World Leaders).

Nicknames for Andrea are Andee.

Other names associated with Andrea are Andi, Andre, Andreana and Andy.

my anme is ANTONELLA

Usage: Italian

Feminine pet form of Antonius (see ANTHONY).

From the Roman family name Antonius, which is of unknown Etruscan origin. It has been commonly (but incorrectly) associated with Greek ανθος (anthos) "flower":original:, which resulted in the addition of the h in the 17th century.

A notable bearer of the Roman name was Mark Antony (Marcus Antonius), the general who ruled the Roman Empire jointly with Augustus for a short time. When their relationship turned sour, he and his mistress Cleopatra were attacked and forced to commit suicide. Shakespeare's tragedy 'Antony and Cleopatra' is based on them. Other famous bearers include the 3rd-century Saint Anthony the Abbot, a hermit from Egypt who founded monasticism, and the 13th-century Saint Anthony of Padua, the patron saint of Portugal.

Combination of ROSE and MARY. This name can also be given in reference to the herb, which gets its name from Latin ros marinus meaning "dew of the sea".

I also know that my surname, which is Polish, is also a small town in Slovenia. I'd like to go there some dat :naughty:

BRENDA

Pronounced: BREN-da [key]

Derived from Old Norse brandr meaning "sword". This name is sometimes used as a feminine form of BRENDAN.

^i've heard many different translations of my name, and that one wasn't one of them. sword, thats cool i guess! lol

ELIN

Usage: Scandinavian

Scandinavian form of HELEN

((HELEN

Usage: English, Greek Mythology (Anglicized)

Pronounced: HEL-en [key]

From the Greek ‘Ελενη (Helene), probably from the Greek ‘ελενη (helene) "torch" or "corposant", or possibly from σεληνη (selene) "moon". In Greek mythology Helen was the daughter of Zeus and Leda, whose kidnapping by Paris was the cause of the Trojan War. The name was also borne by Saint Helena, mother of the Roman emperor Constantine, who supposedly found the True Cross during a trip to Jerusalem. Another famous bearer was Helen Keller, the American author and lecturer who was both blind and deaf. ))

ELIN

Usage: Scandinavian

Scandinavian form of HELEN

((HELEN

Usage: English, Greek Mythology (Anglicized)

Pronounced: HEL-en [key]

From the Greek ‘Ελενη (Helene), probably from the Greek ‘ελενη (helene) "torch" or "corposant", or possibly from σεληνη (selene) "moon". In Greek mythology Helen was the daughter of Zeus and Leda, whose kidnapping by Paris was the cause of the Trojan War. The name was also borne by Saint Helena, mother of the Roman emperor Constantine, who supposedly found the True Cross during a trip to Jerusalem. Another famous bearer was Helen Keller, the American author and lecturer who was both blind and deaf. ))

Helen of troy! i read all about her last summer for summer reading.. lets just say it wasn't the best of times, but she was pretty cool lol

Katherine:

From the Greek name Αικατερινη (Aikaterine)

Could mean "each of the two," "torture," "my consecration of your name," or "pure."

I knew that my name meant pure from this thingy in my room I got when I was a baby (I like what it says, by the way-- pure, intuitive, perceptive), but I had no idea about the other associations. :blink: Not liking the torture one!

My name is also Katherine, and I knew the thing about pure as well.

And my last name means "shoulder" in Italian. :roftl:

But this site didn't come up with that, so I don't know. Maybe Mika's name still means Plastic Bag! :roftl: Was there an interview he said this in?

BECKY

Pronounced: BEK-ee [key]

Pet form of REBECCA

REBECCA

Usage: English, Italian, Swedish, Biblical

Pronounced: re-BEK-a (English) [key]

From the Hebrew name רִבְקָה (Rivqah), possibly meaning "a snare" in Hebrew, or perhaps derived from an Aramaic name. This was the name of the wife of Isaac and the mother of Esau and Jacob in the Old Testament.

A snare?:blink:

I don't like my name,it's too common. haha I'm glad/shocked nobody already posted with it !

:shocked:

JESSICA

Pronounced: JES-i-ka [key]

This name was first used in this form by Shakespeare in his play 'The Merchant of Venice', where it belongs to the daughter of Shylock. Shakespeare probably based it on the biblical name ISCAH which would have been spelled Jesca in his time. Jessica is also sometimes used as a feminine form of JESSE

My Name is Sarah... found this on the net...

The girl's name Sarah \is pronounced SARE-ah. It is of Hebrew origin, and its meaning is "princess". Biblical: originally called Sarai (my princess), Sarah shared an adventurous nomadic life with her husband Abraham. She is described as being exceptionally beautiful (i wish :boxed::blink::thumbdown: )even into her older years. The name became popular in the 16th century.

:biggrin2:

• 1 year later...

REBECCA

Usage: English, Italian, Swedish, Biblical

Pronounced: rə-BEK-ə (English) [key]

From the Hebrew name רִבְקָה (Rivqah), possibly meaning "a snare" in Hebrew, or perhaps derived from an Aramaic name. This was the name of the wife of Isaac and the mother of Esau and Jacob in the Old Testament. It came into use as a Christian name after the Protestant Reformation, and it was popular with the Puritans in the 17th century.

I already knew that. :roftl:

Edit: My parents just thought it sounded nice. :naughty:

My parents got my name from a TV show (Doctor Who if you're curious)... I think it's obvious that they like science fiction shows :naughty:...

According to the website Rosina gave this is what it says:

TEGAN

Usage: Welsh

Derived from Welsh teg "fair".

Though I've never seen that for my name...

According to Baby Names Country, Tegan is just a variation on Teagan (no, really??? :naughty:), but this is the meaning...

Origin: Welsh

Meaning: beautiful, attractive (this is what I see practically every other time)...