2007 - Somerset House review @ MusicOMH.com

Blue

I don't know if this one has been posted before - in that case: sorry! :blush-anim-cl:

Mika

@ Somerset House, London, 17 July 2007

Mika's the Mr Marmite of pop, isn't he? People seem to either love or hate him. His summer gig as part of Somerset House's Summer Series of open air concerts offered the chance to see if he would be as divisive in the flesh as he is on record.

That it was a beautiful evening at this most picturesque of venues wasn't going to harm him. An advance request that we wear "fantastical fancy dress" was greeted with dread and the grouches who ignored this edict were surrounded by fairies, pirates and angels. The party atmosphere was stoked by candy floss sellers and some truly superb stilt-wearing balloon model makers.

Meanwhile Patrick Wolf was contributing a good supporting performance. Jumping around in shorts and bare feet he may have made a few new fans as he ended with a rousing Stars and The Magic Position, leaving the crowd ready for this year's other camp young pop star.

Strangely the music Mika chose to bound on stage to was the excerpt from As Heard On Radio Soulwax Vol 2, when Independent Woman mixes into Nine To Five and then Royksopp's Eple. But then his show began and he kicked off with Cutting Crew sound-alike Relax (Take It Easy). Although his falsetto grated a bit, his voice stayed on top form all night.

With debut album Life In Cartoon Motion making up his entire back catalogue, he played every track, but managed to mix things up a little by adding a couple of cover versions. That he chose two of the most melodic pieces of electronic pop from the last 25 years in Eurythmics' Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) and a banging version of The Source's You Got The Love said a lot about where his music comes from.

His larger lady dancers turned up for Big Girl (You Are Beautiful) and ballads Any Other World and album highlight Happy Ending were both recreated superbly for the big stage. The set ended with power pop trio Love Today, Grace Kelly and finally Lollipop accompanied by a zoo-load of cute furry animals, perhaps borrowed from The Flaming Lips, and a huge explosion of ticker tape and streamers.

Mika has some really good songs and on balance he is a genuinely good thing for pop music. He writes his own material and plays live beyond summer roadshows. But as with the album something wasn't quite right. It's almost as if everything about Mika is great, apart from Mika. There's ultimately something insubstantial about him. He's camp, but in a strange asexual children's television presenter way rather than in a glam, funky Jake Shears way. Yet he knows who his fans are and he works them well and, if you like him on record, you'll like him live too. It'll be interesting to see where he goes next – the current album has a short shelf life and if he's capable it would be great to see him follow his electro influences and find some edge.

- Ben Urdang

http://www.musicomh.com/gigs/mika-2_0707.htm

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting...

It's almost as if everything about Mika is great, apart from Mika. There's ultimately something insubstantial about him. He's camp, but in a strange asexual children's television presenter way rather than in a glam, funky Jake Shears way.

:blink::sneaky2::thumbdown:

Thanks for posting. Most of it is positive, but I can't get over

But as with the album something wasn't quite right. It's almost as if everything about Mika is great, apart from Mika. There's ultimately something insubstantial about him. He's camp, but in a strange asexual children's television presenter way rather than in a glam, funky Jake Shears way.

and

the current album has a short shelf life

Short shelf life? I think it will live forever:mf_rosetinted:

Nice one! Thank you Blue for posting!

There's ultimately something insubstantial about him. He's camp, but in a strange asexual children's television presenter way rather than in a glam, funky Jake Shears way. Yet he knows who his fans are and he works them well and, if you like him on record, you'll like him live too. It'll be interesting to see where he goes next – the current album has a short shelf life and if he's capable it would be great to see him follow his electro influences and find some edge.

- Ben Urdang

1. I am glad someone has finally used that word.

2. Totally agree about the second album - not meaning to say the 1st one is "bad" or etc... but it obviously refers to certain experiences of the person, thru his entire life up to now ...at least thats how I understand the concept of the present album (not only the musical part of it)

...so it keeps me wondering, whether some new "concept"(cant choose the right word, sorry) is going to be created - in terms of art, sound, persona etc (ok, those beaten Bowie comparisons...)...or we are going to see another take on the stuff outlined previously ....hopefully on a different level...

+ ...what I mean - M had some life before :) quite colourful/tragic/etc....blah-blah....hence experiences and the album and the blast.

...but the person needs to continue developing multidirectionally ...that is if the next album is going to "sum up" the present particular period (during which I highly doubt M-person has gained much in terms of ...well...emotional and ...ehem.... hormonal experience ...)...well....6 songs about slleping on airplanes and ear inflammations?

So now Mika is not enough like the Scissor Sisters. :bleh:

I'm ok with most negative reviews of Mika--I mean, I can usually see where they're coming from at least, and if he's not their cup of tea (or their sandwich spread, whatever) all right--but... why in the world would people complain about him not being sexed-up enough? Isn't that rather cliche and old hat by now? Some of us rather like the fact that Mika's like a children's show presenter sometimes. (Some of us even miss the camp children's show presenters!)

Sure, on his next tour he could strip half naked and cover himself with glitter while gyrating around his mic-stand and pulling on his braces, but personally I'd be a little bored with that. I mean, that's Patrick Wolf's thing, and young!Iggy Pop's thing, and so on and so forth. Mika's "asexual" bouncyness is rather more unique.

--Jack

I'm ok with most negative reviews of Mika--I mean, I can usually see where they're coming from at least, and if he's not their cup of tea (or their sandwich spread, whatever) all right--but... why in the world would people complain about him not being sexed-up enough? Isn't that rather cliche and old hat by now? Some of us rather like the fact that Mika's like a children's show presenter sometimes. (Some of us even miss the camp children's show presenters!)

Sure, on his next tour he could strip half naked and cover himself with glitter while gyrating around his mic-stand and pulling on his braces, but personally I'd be a little bored with that. I mean, that's Patrick Wolf's thing, and young!Iggy Pop's thing, and so on and so forth. Mika's "asexual" bouncyness is rather more unique.

--Jack

Here! Here!

He really can't win the sexuality war. If ur open about ur sexuality generally people then feel that they can pry and ask personal questions that they would never ask a traditionally "straight" person. I'm really open with people but it's never enough...they always want to know more!

It's as if ur some dark mysterious kinky freak if ur anything other than straight and married with kids! I am none of the these but consider myself completely "normal". I like who I like and that has no criteria or boundaries to it.

I would love to think Mika was like me in that respect and that when he says he won't label himself it's because there is no label for him.

He is asexual but I think it's a mixture of his "Mika" persona, his living out his missed youth, his sweet nature and of course his actual orientation.

I find myself fancying him and wanting to be his best chum in equal measures which is a rare thing for me I can tell you.......I have a thing for cute young things (and a reputation to uphold!!)...but he brings out my sweet nature which is also a rarety!!!!

He can be compared to other people til the cows come home but the simple fact is..............he's Mika and there ain't no-one like him!!

Vix x

Here! Here!

He really can't win the sexuality war. If ur open about ur sexuality generally people then feel that they can pry and ask personal questions that they would never ask a traditionally "straight" person. I'm really open with people but it's never enough...they always want to know more!

It's as if ur some dark mysterious kinky freak if ur anything other than straight and married with kids! I am none of the these but consider myself completely "normal". I like who I like and that has no criteria or boundaries to it.

I would love to think Mika was like me in that respect and that when he says he won't label himself it's because there is no label for him.

He is asexual but I think it's a mixture of his "Mika" persona, his living out his missed youth, his sweet nature and of course his actual orientation.

I find myself fancying him and wanting to be his best chum in equal measures which is a rare thing for me I can tell you.......I have a thing for cute young things (and a reputation to uphold!!)...but he brings out my sweet nature which is also a rarety!!!!

He can be compared to other people til the cows come home but the simple fact is..............he's Mika and there ain't no-one like him!!

Vix x

I totally agree with you! Perhaps that's why I like Mika so much. When you turn on the television, most of the videoclips nowadays is about one thing. You can guess what it is right?:biggrin2: I like it that people doesn't have naked women (or men) in his videos or a lot of bling bling. He's a breath of fresh air in a business that's so focussed on sexuality. They say; Sex sells. But Mika proves the opposite. Way to go Mika!:biggrin2:

...but the person needs to continue developing multidirectionally ...that is if the next album is going to "sum up" the present particular period (during which I highly doubt M-person has gained much in terms of ...well...emotional and ...ehem.... hormonal experience ...)...well....6 songs about slleping on airplanes and ear inflammations?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: There's so much to say about ear inflammation !! :lmao: :lmao: I would definitely buy this second album !! :thumb_yello:

:lmao: There's so much to say about ear inflammation !! :lmao: :lmao: I would definitely buy this second album !! :thumb_yello:

Like so?

Otitis

Up at night, can't sleep

Walking round, can't eat

This thing has got me ill

This thing has gotten deep...

Deep in my ear canal

I hear reverberations

Deep in my ear canal

A throbbing sensation...

I sit and strum the keys

My head is swimming

I try try to sing, off-key

But no, it's winning

The room is spinning

It brings me to my knees

No balance... no relief.

I don't even have no f'cking Aleve!

Deep in my ear canal

I hear reverberations

Deep in my ear canal

A piercing sensation...

I'm due on a plane, tomorrow

But this way I can't go,

Another cancelled show

Another damn low blow

And they will stage a row

A pretty way of showing sorrow!

Amoxillin amoxillin amoxillin anistill

:wink2:

--Jack

--Jack

I agree and a refreshing change, I'm bored poopless of chicken being rammed right up my nose every moment of every day....there is more to life than chicken (yeah yeah I know it's the true MEANING of life...well to reproduce is), but....isn't it nice to just like someone for WHO they are and WHAT they do and not to think about jumping on them, or who THEY are jumping on, I know we sometimes have fun with all that but at the end of the day I really just love Mika for all the other st0of about him (admittedly that drop dead gorgeous face and bod DO have their place) but they are just the exceptionally well decorated icing on a rather exquisite cake. :biggrin2::biggrin2: (hehe look who's gone all poetic again lmao).

edit lmao Freddie it took me a sec or two to realize why and what you had edited, mwahaha (buckled).

Here! Here!

Vix x

well said Vix :punk::thumb_yello:ps your blogs are hilarious.

Like so?

Otitis

Up at night, can't sleep

Walking round, can't eat

Deep in my ear canal

I hear reverberations

Deep in my ear canal

A throbbing sensation...

I sit and strum the keys

My head is swimming

But no, it's winning

The room is spinning

It brings me to my knees

No balance... no relief.

Deep in my ear canal

I hear reverberations

Deep in my ear canal

A piercing sensation...

But this way I can't go,

Another cancelled show

Another damn low blow

--Jack

OMG !! Release it and i buy it !!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Like so?

Otitis

Up at night, can't sleep

Walking round, can't eat

Deep in my ear canal

I hear reverberations

Deep in my ear canal

A throbbing sensation...

I sit and strum the keys

My head is swimming

But no, it's winning

The room is spinning

It brings me to my knees

No balance... no relief.

Deep in my ear canal

I hear reverberations

Deep in my ear canal

A piercing sensation...

But this way I can't go,

Another cancelled show

Another damn low blow

--Jack

JAAAAACK!!!! :lmao: U R GENIUS

Cant wait to hear the final song:naughty: Hope u'll get enough of them for a musical, or otitis rock-opera

OK my 2 cents for the "6 songs" album...cr*ppy rhymes, but still....

DIRECTLY FROM THE SPOKESPERSON

MIKA'S RESPONCE

Home alone at night,

My skinnies hold me tight,

My piano’s sleeping lonely in the corner

My ears itch and burn,

Can’t sleep, can hardly turn

And I decide to check a certain Forum

Open the page – what the h*ck-

-Some b**** (….girl:bleh: …) , who’s name is Jack

Is taking a P on M(e)

Wonder how dares she!!!

I’m really sick after all !

Cancel is not my fault !

People, why can’t you see –

It’s THEM, not poor me!

P.S: My L is gone-

-feeling so much alone…

Luke has got a car -

I've got a new kitchen so far...

They’ve cut the gas today –

Cos I’ve got no money to pay!

I’m kinda “On the throne”

-Still can’t afford a phone!

(And as they told about me-

I have to get all three:bleh: )

And plus to all above-

Still need SOMEBODY TO LOVE:wub2:

:roftl: Love these songs.

Mika's asexuality is a huge part of his appeal on a personal level. He is non-threatening to 14-year-old girls and married 40-year-old women alike. Even husbands can tolerate him because it's not as if their wives are really going to run off with an overgrown boy singing about lollipops in an animal suit.

Mika's asexuality is a huge part of his appeal on a personal level. He is non-threatening to 14-year-old girls and married 40-year-old women alike. Even husbands can tolerate him because it's not as if their wives are really going to run off with an overgrown boy singing about lollipops in an animal suit.

Brooooown, oh Billy Broooown:biggrin2:

Mika

@ Somerset House, London, 17 July 2007

With debut album Life In Cartoon Motion making up his entire back catalogue, he played every track, but managed to mix things up a little by adding a couple of cover versions. That he chose two of the most melodic pieces of electronic pop from the last 25 years in Eurythmics' Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) and a banging version of The Source's You Got The Love said a lot about where his music comes from.

- Ben Urdang

Bangin' is the word! LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!

This is one of my fave tunes of all time!!!!!!!!!!!! Used to put it on the jukebox ALL the time in the pub when i was about 14, so i was extremely pleased that Mika covered this - and covered it well. :thumb_yello: Nice one Mika! :biggrin2:

:roftl: Love these songs.

HAHA I have to agree with that LOL!

I am sure that this is one of the reasons why my partner is happy to come along to Mika gigs and why he doesn't really get annoyed with my Mika-Obesssion!!

:naughty:

I mean, it's obvious that MR. M is absolutely gorgeous, but I think that it also seems clear that the first thing on his mind is not to 'pull a groupie' if you catch my drift...:biggrin2:

Anyway who cares what they say, the fact is that WE can see that he's amazing and that's what matters! In fact even though I am saying this, I DO care, cause I want the world (and I try,believe me!! I have already converted a few!!) to know how excellent he is.

Am I totally incoherent???:shocked:

Sara.