The appleman can!!! - The official SEQUEL!

Kata

:

The man just publicly praised people for stalking him at his house but we're not allowed to talk about his music here. :doh:

And why exactly am I supposed to care what Mika thinks about the contents of these threads anyway? It's not Mika's forum, it's the Mika Fan forum. If he wants to start posting here then maybe he can have a say.

I totally agree with you here, this forum is about Mika, not for Mika.

And everyone keeps quoting what he has said in interviews or in the context of a song, but let's face it, everything that comes out of his mouth isn't gospel, is it?

If he does read these forums, his reactions must veer between hysterical laughter and bewilderment.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And everyone keeps quoting what he has said in interviews or in the context of a song, but let's face it, everything that comes out of his mouth isn't gospel, is it?

If he does read these forums, his reactions must veer between hysterical laughter and bewilderment.

Probably heavy on the bewilderment. :naughty:

I love Mika and all but let's face it, a lot of what he talks is utter sh*te. Especially stuff from 8 or 9 months ago. You can't take any of that literally and apply it to now.

Oh I missed all the action? You know how I love getting in the middle of the controversial threads.

Apples...it looks like no one is interested in NYC and it's looking rather expensive and boring to go on my own so I'm thinking f*ck it, I should just go back to London.

Who is going to be there in February??? Please tell me most of you are going!!

I’m coming to London in February too!:thumb_yello:

And hopefully Nika from Sweden is coming with me.

Right now we are looking for a place to stay, have you got any ideas?

Where are you staying?

Is Suzy coming too? And our beloved friend Long?

Wouldn’t it be great if we could stay at the same hotel?

Hi Sienna! Welcome to the apple thread - we're not that bad really!

Thank you!:biggrin2:

Sounds like an interesting place, this thread.

I love how you continued the discussion from Mikas personal life thread.

And I love when people are speaking their mind and not hide in the bushes!

One of the best parts of the whole discussion was if we should be aloud to talk about different interpretations of the song lyrics, I would love to do that.

So many times now I have tried to ask other people their opinion about Stuck in the Middle, but the discussion dies quickly. Why, is it dangerous?:cool:

Sienna - I think many MFCers were conditioned to believe that they should not enter into any discussion that has the possibility of speculating on Mika's sexuality (even though it may never even venture into that topic). But many of us are hopeful that this forum is evolving into a community that can be free from that type of censorship.

I am sadly not going to London in February:thumbdown: - not a good time work-wise, money-wise and spouse-wise.

I don't think it is dangerous to discuss song lyrics at all.

I just think it holds a certain risk of misleading conclusions when it comes to questioning the reasons, motivation and message of a song from the writer's perspective, because however hard you try you can only be wrong. Just because we can't look into anybody's head. So, I'm personally a bit reserved when it comes to interpretations like: "With SITM he clearly wants to express the difficulty of finding out that he is gay opposed to the tradition-based values of his family...." I don't want to deny that it may be that easy. But maybe it's not and others may read it and take it for granted although it was only a thought....

We have to hope that there is enough intelligence here to balance the views. As much silliness as there is around here, we need to give others the benefit of the doubt that they don't take everything they read as the truth.

We have to hope that there is enough intelligence here to balance the views. As much silliness as there is around here, we need to give others the benefit of the doubt that they don't take everything they read as the truth.

Yes, yes true. If we didn't do that there would not be much left to talk about at all, right?

Oh and I'm really sad you won't make it to London in Feb :emot-sad:

Which we know from experience, they have done in the past.

But am I the only one who doesn't want to get into lengthy intellectual debates over the meaning of his songs?

As I said earlier, maybe I am just not mentally equipped for this kind of discussion, for whatever reason, but generally I prefer to take his songs at face value, or at whatever meaning they have to me and just enjoy them for what they are.

Not sure what I want from this fourm, then, except to say, I am willing and able to discuss every aspect of the lyrics to Wham's "Wake me up before you go go" and Black Lace's "Agadoo".

Yes, yes true. If we didn't do that there would not be much left to talk about at all, right?

Oh and I'm really sad you won't make it to London in Feb :emot-sad:

:tears:Me too. I'd love to meet you violet_sky...

As I said earlier, maybe I am just not mentally equipped for this kind of discussion, for whatever reason, but generally I prefer to take his songs at face value, or at whatever meaning they have to me and just enjoy them for what they are.

And that is the true benefit of songs IMO, they're up for interpretation and, I guess that goes without saying, interpretation is never impartial but always depends on the point of view of the individual.

So a song can mean anything you like to you and something completely different to somebody else.

I’m coming to London in February too!:thumb_yello:

And hopefully Nika from Sweden is coming with me.

Right now we are looking for a place to stay, have you got any ideas?

Where are you staying?

Is Suzy coming too? And our beloved friend Long?

Wouldn’t it be great if we could stay at the same hotel?

I can't even find Long! I need to email him although I'm pretty sure he won't be coming back to London. He's going to one of the American gigs.

Suzy and I stayed in a holiday apartment last time and it looks as if it's booked up until the 24th which is tricky for me in terms of flights. Also I'm hearing about some parties happening on the "weekend" but I need to find out which weekend - before or after the gigs.

I've got my eye on a very tiny flat on my old street in South Ken but I might end up sharing so I'll need to look around for something larger.

Just need to iron out some of these details and hopefully it all comes together.

In any case it's very unlikely I'll stay at a hotel. I like to "live" in London and I've stayed in a few fairly expensive hotels before and they were crap. The standard just isn't the same as in N. America and I don't want to be stuck in a dump for a week when I could have rented a nice comfortable flat.

I just think it holds a certain risk of misleading conclusions when it comes to questioning the reasons, motivation and message of a song from the writer's perspective, because however hard you try you can only be wrong. Just because we can't look into anybody's head.

I don't bother much with trying to interpret other people's work for those reasons. I've spent time on a Barenaked Ladies forum and I laugh at some of the interpretations that come up. They tend to make a lot of obscure cultural references in their songs and since I grew up in the same neighbourhood with them in the '70s I happen to know exactly what they're talking about. But an 18-year-old from Birmingham is just taking a stab in the dark and there's not much chance they're going to get it right.

But song analysis is typical for a fan forum so I don't think there's anything wrong with it if that's how people want to entertain themselves and each other. I don't think SITM in particular should be off limits just because it may or may not deal with Mika's sexuality.

Sienna - I think many MFCers were conditioned to believe that they should not enter into any discussion that has the possibility of speculating on Mika's sexuality (even though it may never even venture into that topic). But many of us are hopeful that this forum is evolving into a community that can be free from that type of censorship.

I am sadly not going to London in February:thumbdown: - not a good time work-wise, money-wise and spouse-wise.

Oh, so sad you’re not coming back to London in Feb!:sad:

I just think it holds a certain risk of misleading conclusions when it comes to questioning the reasons, motivation and message of a song from the writer's perspective, because however hard you try you can only be wrong. Just because we can't look into anybody's head. So, I'm personally a bit reserved when it comes to interpretations like: "With SITM he clearly wants to express the difficulty of finding out that he is gay opposed to the tradition-based values of his family...." I don't want to deny that it may be that easy. But maybe it's not and others may read it and take it for granted although it was only a thought....

Yes, every interpretation of a song or a book is of course your own and it is different from person to person, sometimes it says more about yourself than about the song it etc. But I think it’s interesting to listen to other peoples understanding.

But after reading parts of the Gay thread I have come to understand that SITM still is a sensitive issue.:thumb_yello:

But am I the only one who doesn't want to get into lengthy intellectual debates over the meaning of his songs?

I think I shouldn’t be the one either looking for intellectual discussions.:naughty: As you all know English is not my first language and I have already got myself in to trouble by misunderstanding or not being fast enough when it comes to use the English!

In my language I am used to jump in to any kind of discussion, but maybe I should be a little more careful here?:mf_rosetinted:

Suzy and I stayed in a holiday apartment last time and it looks as if it's booked up until the 24th which is tricky for me in terms of flights. Also I'm hearing about some parties happening on the "weekend" but I need to find out which weekend - before or after the gigs.

I've got my eye on a very tiny flat on my old street in South Ken but I might end up sharing so I'll need to look around for something larger.

Just need to iron out some of these details and hopefully it all comes together.

In any case it's very unlikely I'll stay at a hotel. I like to "live" in London and I've stayed in a few fairly expensive hotels before and they were crap. The standard just isn't the same as in N. America and I don't want to be stuck in a dump for a week when I could have rented a nice comfortable flat.

This will be my seventh time in London, I know exactly what you mean, I was so happy when I found Corus Hyde Park, it’s good.

But it’s a little expensive.

Please tell me if you are interested in sharing a flat!:thumb_yello:

there is an apple, with a gun pointed at it.

What is he trying to say?

Yeah, but lets point out it's a bit off detailed. It could be a door handle as well, or a spoon or a cat. :|

:roftl: I have to agree with you there. I think it's a generational thing. I know the young/middlings don't want to hear it because they were exposed to different concepts growing up, but for some of us it really is fairly black and white.

You can give it whatever label you want or insist that it's impossible to label, but I think "the question" is whether Mika is attracted to men or not. Although in my mind that's always been a given so it would be much bigger news to me to hear that he's attracted to women.

There once was something of Mika in a Finnish metro paper:

"Ihannemaailmassa ei edes keskusteltaisi

homoseksuaalisuuden hyväksymisestä tai hyväksymättömyydestä.

Päätellen kysymysmäärästä, minkä olen saanut Billy Brown -kappaleesta, emme todellakaan elä ihannemaailmassa."

And you may want a translation, directly goes something like this:

"There wouldn't even be a discussion of whether homosexuality is accepted or not in my ideal world.

As a conclusion for the amount of discussion that I've received of my song, Billy Brown, we certainly do not live in my ideal world."

I have no idea where is this from and how much of it has been modified after he (may have) said so. Just thought I'd share this mind-exploding reveal... :|

The man just publicly praised people for stalking him at his house but we're not allowed to talk about his music here. :doh:

Ssshh, watch your steps with that "m" -word!

And why exactly am I supposed to care what Mika thinks about the contents of these threads anyway? It's not Mika's forum, it's the Mika Fan forum. If he wants to start posting here then maybe he can have a say.

I support the idea of Mika (officially) joining. Just to report stuff, or anything.

The objections I've most heard (read) goes roughly that it would change our way of behaviour here.

Would be surprising after all, as he might have been sneaking the site already.