The Scottish Thread

Rainbow Sky

Porridge

_438855_porridge300.jpg

refers to hot cereal grains or ground legumes boiled in water or milk, and often served as a breakfast food. Almost every culture has some variation of porridge, based on the most available grains in that area. Porridge may be called hot mush, hot cereal, or hot meal, depending upon where it is served.

Traditional porridge in the UK is often made with oats. In Scotland, porridge may be spelled as porage after a brand name of oats sold. Porridge is also used to make gruel, oft referred to in Victorian literature. Gruel, which is merely watered down porridge, could be prescribed for those with sensitive appetites and to treat a variety of ailments. English and American gruel is certainly not the only medicinal use of porridge. The Chinese use rice congee mixed with herbs to treat people recovering from illness.

In the United States, we have numerous variants of porridge. These include cereals made from wheat, ground corn, ground rice, and multi-grain cereals. Generally cooking time on these cereals directly correlates to the amount of processing of the grains used. Whole grains usually take the longest to cook, and finely flaked grains, like baby oats or small pieces of wheat can take a short time.

Many porridge varieties are “quick” varieties, which cut cooking time down to a minute or two. Other porridge varieties are instant and merely require the application of boiling water to result in a hot cereal. Porridge aficionados may turn up their noses at instant varieties, since they often lack the grainy or nutty taste of less processed grains.

One type of porridge without great popularity in the US is made of peasemeal, made from ground dried yellow peas. Peasemeal porridge as in the nursery rhyme “Pease Porridge Hot,” is popular in Northern England and has been compared in taste and texture to hummus. It may be served with bacon, and is frequently available in butcher’s shops.

The list of grains that can produce porridge is extensive. In addition to the most recognizable corn, oats, rice, and wheat, the following grains can make different variants of porridge:

Buckwheat

Quinoa

Rye

Millet

Sorghum

Barley

Toppings on porridge exhibit extraordinary variance. In the US and in the UK, porridge is often topped with brown sugar and butter. Sometimes porridge makes a base for savory sauces like polenta topped with marinara or grits with gravy. Some people enjoy porridge topped with eggs, salt and pepper.

Written by Tricia Ellis-Christensen

copyright © 2003 - 2008

conjecture corporation

Edited by A. Clay

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Peas Porridge Hot

Peas porridge hot,

Peas porridge cold,

Peas porridge in the pot

Nine days old.

Some like it hot,

Some like it cold,

Some like it in the pot

Nine days old.

PeacePorridge.jpg

Edited by A. Clay

• 1 month later...
:roftl:

That reminds me - 3 months until pipe band competitions start!! :naughty:

Oooooh! Fun!

Actually, the gathering at Scots School in Bathurst (which is about 40 mins from Orange) is on in March, and apparently it's going to be a competition again... it hasn't been a competitionfor at least 8 years...

Oooooh! Fun!

Actually, the gathering at Scots School in Bathurst (which is about 40 mins from Orange) is on in March, and apparently it's going to be a competition again... it hasn't been a competitionfor at least 8 years...

Guess you will just have to see how you are feeling!!

Hope you get back to normal with no hitches :huglove:

I doubt we'll go in a competition... we're not good enough for it! That and I don't think we're signed up for competitions (even though token Scotsman would like to go in comps)...

I don't like my chances of playing a week after my op though... should be okay to go and watch though...

• 3 weeks later...
bcrkilts.gif

hubbahubbahubba :wub2:

Wendi...........as this stemed from our Friday night discussion and we were considering posting pics of ourselves in our BCR gear if we can all dig them up...should we do it in here? I am going to York in a couple of weeks and will raid my mothers photos to find mine:thumb_yello:

Wendi...........as this stemed from our Friday night discussion and we were considering posting pics of ourselves in our BCR gear if we can all dig them up...should we do it in here? I am going to York in a couple of weeks and will raid my mothers photos to find mine:thumb_yello:

I will ask my mum if she can find mine!! :blush-anim-cl:

• 1 month later...