http://www.dressedtokilt.com/tartan_day_040306.html

http://www.dressedtokilt.com/tartan_day_apr6.html

http://www.dressedtokilt.com/tartan_day_apr5.html

http://www.dressedtokilt.com/la_fashion_week.html

http://www.dressedtokilt.com/tartan_day_apr1.html

ewan-kilt.jpeg

What lies beneath?

By Harriet Arkell, Evening Standard

The vast majority of Scotsmen still choose to wear nothing beneath their kilts, according to a survey out today.

The survey of men north of the border revealed that 69 per cent of kilt-wearers prefer to "go commando".

Of the remainder, 14 per cent said they wore boxers and 10 per cent chose briefs - with 7 per cent admitting to falling into the rather ambiguous "other" category. One man admitted wearing a thong with a Batman motif.

Researchers found that a large number of Scotsmen often made up their minds on the basis of how formal the occasion was. Many preferred to wear underwear for occasions such as weddings, while on less formal outings such as rugby matches they went without.

The survey was carried out by The Famous Grouse for St Andrew's Day.

Under_the_kilt.jpg

Answers for “What are you wearing under your kilt?”

If you are looking for some ready answers to this age-old question,

here are a few answers . . . .

My Scottish pride.

My shoes and socks.

Nothing is worn, everything is in perfect working order.

How warm are your hands?

Play your cards right and you can find out.

Me mother once told me a real lady wouldn't ask.

She was right, God bless 'er.

Tell me madam, would you go jogging without a bra?

To another man: Same as you, only bigger.

To another man: Your wife's/sister's/mother's lipstick.

To a woman: If I'm lucky, your lipstick.

Lipstick--two shades on a good day!

Socks, shoes and a wee bit of talcum powder.

Bagpipes, wanna give 'em a blow?

By a man: A wee set of pipes.

By a man: String -- I had to tie it up so it didn’t hang below the kilt.

By a man: It's the smallest airport in the world.....2 hangars and a night fighter.

By a lady: A wee sporran.

By a lady: Chanel No. 5.

How badly do you want to know?

"Being a woman, sometimes other women feel more comfortable coming to

me to find out what the guys wear under their kilts. I usually say, 'I can only

speak for myself...... pantyhose.' (The wool of the kilt irritates my skin.)"

To a lady at church: What God graced me with.

Gi’e us your hand lassie, I’m a mon o’ few wurds.

regimental.JPG

April 24, 1997, Hong Kong -- Lance Corporal Lee Wotherspoon of the Black Watch (RHR) lowers the Union Jack as the wind raises his kilt at the daily lowering of the flag at Hong Kong's Cenotaph prior to the former British Colony being handed over to China on July 1, 1997.

Apparently, he received romantic letters from several women and a few men around the world admiring his attributes -- reportedly he was rebuked by his commander only because his sock-tops were not level.

The rule against wearing anything under the kilt was once so strict that until World War II inspections of Black Watch troops included having them step on a mirror. For officers, violating the rule cost the offender a bottle of port. Now the under-the-kilt dress is optional, but options don't come easily to men who believe in tradition – most highland kilted soldiers go “regimental”.

kilt_bez5.jpg

Colonel Simon West sat proudly in the front row of the 1st Battalion of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, next to the Queen on Nov 9th 2004.

She was visiting the battalion at Howe Barracks in Canterbury, Kent, to present medals after their recent tour of duty in Iraq.

Colonel West had not taken the time to adjust his sporran and kilt for decency.

So the kilt flapped about for all the world to see.

ewan-kilt.jpeg

What lies beneath?

By Harriet Arkell, Evening Standard

The vast majority of Scotsmen still choose to wear nothing beneath their kilts, according to a survey out today.

The survey of men north of the border revealed that 69 per cent of kilt-wearers prefer to "go commando".

Of the remainder, 14 per cent said they wore boxers and 10 per cent chose briefs - with 7 per cent admitting to falling into the rather ambiguous "other" category. One man admitted wearing a thong with a Batman motif.

Researchers found that a large number of Scotsmen often made up their minds on the basis of how formal the occasion was. Many preferred to wear underwear for occasions such as weddings, while on less formal outings such as rugby matches they went without.

The survey was carried out by The Famous Grouse for St Andrew's Day.

Regimental... :fisch: And I know from personal experience *shudders*

Under_the_kilt.jpg

Answers for “What are you wearing under your kilt?”

If you are looking for some ready answers to this age-old question,

here are a few answers . . . .

My Scottish pride.

My shoes and socks.

Nothing is worn, everything is in perfect working order.

How warm are your hands?

Play your cards right and you can find out.

Me mother once told me a real lady wouldn't ask.

She was right, God bless 'er.

Tell me madam, would you go jogging without a bra?

To another man: Same as you, only bigger.

To another man: Your wife's/sister's/mother's lipstick.

To a woman: If I'm lucky, your lipstick.

Lipstick--two shades on a good day!

Socks, shoes and a wee bit of talcum powder.

Bagpipes, wanna give 'em a blow?

By a man: A wee set of pipes.

By a man: String -- I had to tie it up so it didn’t hang below the kilt.

By a man: It's the smallest airport in the world.....2 hangars and a night fighter.

By a lady: A wee sporran.

By a lady: Chanel No. 5.

How badly do you want to know?

"Being a woman, sometimes other women feel more comfortable coming to

me to find out what the guys wear under their kilts. I usually say, 'I can only

speak for myself...... pantyhose.' (The wool of the kilt irritates my skin.)"

To a lady at church: What God graced me with.

Gi’e us your hand lassie, I’m a mon o’ few wurds.

I've never had someone ask me what's under the kilt...

People usually just give us funny looks if we go anywhere in Orange in a kilt... and usually won't move out of the way for me... after all, I'm only carrying a great big bass drum...

regimental.JPG

April 24, 1997, Hong Kong -- Lance Corporal Lee Wotherspoon of the Black Watch (RHR) lowers the Union Jack as the wind raises his kilt at the daily lowering of the flag at Hong Kong's Cenotaph prior to the former British Colony being handed over to China on July 1, 1997.

Apparently, he received romantic letters from several women and a few men around the world admiring his attributes -- reportedly he was rebuked by his commander only because his sock-tops were not level.

The rule against wearing anything under the kilt was once so strict that until World War II inspections of Black Watch troops included having them step on a mirror. For officers, violating the rule cost the offender a bottle of port. Now the under-the-kilt dress is optional, but options don't come easily to men who believe in tradition – most highland kilted soldiers go “regimental”.

wow... he got love letters?

I wouldn't mind knowing what Martin wears under his kilt... I bet he's the traditional sort... :das:

TARTIN: ROMANCING THE PLAID

0847829820.jpg

Going Mad Over Plaid

A New Book Details The Rich History Of The Pattern

(CBS) If you think tartan plaid is only for kilts and schoolgirls,

meeting Jeffrey Banks . . . .

image3537898g.jpg

may change your perspective. . . .

He is a self-proclaimed "obsessive tartan collector." He has the pocket squares, handkerchiefs, tartan ties, tartan plaid sneakers, tartan plaid teddy bears, and even tartan plaid plates.

Banks is an award-winning clothing designer who is not ashamed to admit it: He is simply mad for plaid.

"It's an obsession since I was a little kid," he told CBS News correspondent Erin Moriarty. "And I don't know why. I've just always, always loved it."

Now he's put his passion into print in a new book that he co-authored with his long time friend, writer Doria De La Chappelle. It's a huge book, and weighs about six pounds.

But before you can fully appreciate tartan, you need to know what it is.

"A tartan plaid, first of all, is Scottish, as opposed to American or English.

It's Scottish," De La Chappelle said.

Which means the instantly recognizable Burberry pattern on the company's coats and scarves may look like a tartan plaid, but is in fact officially just "a check" because Burberry is actually English.

In addition, a tartan pattern has to be made up of perfect squares. Technically, a tartan plaid can be turned 180 degrees and is exactly the same.

"You can take it and literally turn it upside down and it will look exactly the same, right side up or upside down," De La Chappelle said.

A Plaid, on the other hand, can have stripes that clearly run in a specific direction. In other words: all tartan is plaid, but not all plaid is tartan.

But whether authentic tartan or simply plaid, the stripes and squares seem to have a lasting and universal appeal.

"It's one of the few patterns men wear, you know" Banks said. "You may find the most conservative man, if he wears a pattern, more than likely it's tartan."

"Plaid is very organized," De La Chappelle said. "It has grids. It's possible that these grids make you feel organized."

Banks and De La Chappelle began their research into tartan six years ago after New York Times photographer Bill Cunningham, who tracks fashion on the streets of Manhattan, noticed an odd phenomenon in the days following 9/11: women were wearing a lot of plaid.

"The world was rocked and they were looking for something that they could hold onto, that they knew would not deviate, because so much had changed overnight," Banks said.

But tartan wasn't always a symbol of security. At the same time colonists in America were demanding their independence from England, there was trouble in Scotland as well. Scottish Highlanders caught wearing tartan to signify their clans faced arrest, or worse.

"It became the symbol of rebels who were against the Crown," De La Chappelle said. "And the British were so angry that they banned the wearing of tartan for 37 years. If you were a Highlander, men in particular, you could not put on tartan without being accused of treason and banished to the colonies for six months."

As is often the case, banning tartan only made it more desirable.

"When they were able to wear it again, it came back with a vengeance," De La Chappelle said.

Later, it was actually English royals - the Duke of Windsor and his wife Wallis Simpson - who made tartan stylish for the international jet set.

"He also started wearing Tartan on the Riviera as a bathing suit and supposedly some clever clothing executive saw him on the Riviera and cabled home and said, 'The prince is wearing Tartan trunks. You've gotta get it on our line,'" De La Chappelle said.

A generation later, plaid was embraced by a very different sort.

"Maybe the most interesting thing that's ever happened in fashion and plaid is the punk movement, Because people like Vivienne Westwood took this revered plaid which stood for tradition and decided to rip it and tear it and safety pin it and turn it into a subversive statement for these punk rebels," De La Chappelle said. "It does seem to have a yin and a yang. It represents security and a kind of straightness and regularity. And at the same time, it can be viewed as very seductive and very sexy."

Which may explain how plaid became the only common ground for two very different Royal wives: both Camilla and Diana wore it. It could also explain how Ralph Lauren uses plaid at home to luxuriate while Madonna uses it on tour to titillate. Plaid pants can be both high fashion and low humor.

"That's what a classic is, you know," Banks said. "A little black dress, you know, if it's too short, it's vulgar. And tartan is the same way. Done in beautiful taffeta fabric, purples and greens, it's a gorgeous Ralph Lauren ball gown - you know you want to keep forever."

Banks and De La Chappelle's book is a collection of the various ways tartan has been used over the years in everything from movies like "The Queen," "Braveheart" and "Rob Roy," to the catwalk, to home furnishings. And even one of the most unexpected places: the moon.

"Alan Bean, one of our first moon shot astronauts, took a swatch of the McBean tartan with him to the moon," De La Chappelle said.

Banks and De La Chappelle wrote the book in part to make people feel as passionately about plaid as they do.

"We'd like it to be infectious," he said.

He promises that after reading their book, you will never look at stripes and squares quite the same way again. Now you will have what he calls "plaid eyes."

© MMVII, CBS Interactive, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

TARTIN: ROMANCING THE PLAID

0847829820.jpg

Title Summary

"William "Braveheart" Wallace did battle in it. Queen Victoria decked Balmoral in it. Madonna donned it to strut around the stage. Tartan, the beloved symbol of kin, clan and nation to the Scots, has evolved into the one of the world's favorite fabrics. Serving as inspiration for designers of everything from haute couture to furniture, tartan mania is in full swing. Fashion world insiders Jeffrey Banks and Doria de La Chapelle have written the definitive book on tartan, bringing together a dizzying array of images to tell the story of tartan's humble beginnings to its current status as the ultimate emblem of great taste and high fashion. In addition to chronicling tartan enthusiasts from every age - including the incomparably fashionable Duke of Windsor whose closet was jam-packed with tartan kilts - Tartan profiles the designers who've made tartan an integral part of their work, from punk-inspired provocateurs Vivienne Westwood, Jean-Paul Gaultier, and Alexander McQueen to the more refined fashions of titan Ralph Lauren and Burberry. The perfect mix of a fashion and lifestyle book, this volume explores the global phenomena of tartan mania."--BOOK JACKET

stewartTartan.gif

Then it's Hey! for The Tartan and Ho! for The Tartan!

The stamp o' the Hielands from Skye to Dundee;

And it's proud I am bearing The Tartan I'm wearing,

The pride o' my Clan and The Tartan for me!

The Tartan

Sidney Bell

Tartan is an art form -- emotive and subjective.

It has even been described as a three-dimensional sculpture in wool.

District Tartans

Gordon Teall of Teallach & Philip D. Smith, Jr.