Radio 1 Entertainment News.

RAK1

I actually don't think it's a bad thing Mika is not breaking the US too quickly. Personally I'd be happy enough if he ends up with a really strong and loyal cult following in the US/Canada, even if that takes time. But then I don't live there; if I did, I might feel differently...?

Obviously he already has a small (growing!) and loyal cult following here at MFC :naughty:

Ooooh... I've never been part of a cult before :hypo: :hypo:

But I agree that it's not such a bad thing if he grows slowly over here --

I want him to be popular enough to want to tour here, but not so

popular that his shows have 10,000 people! Is that too much to ask? :naughty:

There does seem to be a mentality, though, that even if you're big

in the whole rest of the world, but unknown in the US, then you're

nothing, you haven't made it. I look at Robbie Williams or Scissor Sisters

and even Muse, which are huge in UK and Europe, but barely known

here in the States. I mean, let's put it this way -- none of them are a

Rihanna or Beyonce or Justin Timberlake with top 10 singles in the US and

UK and beyond simultaneously.

I worry that that might be Mika's fate here in the States -- to be #1

everywhere in the world but here. :blink: (Mika, if you're reading, I really

don't wish this on you -- I think everyone should love you! :blush-anim-cl: )

But as I say... that's not necessarily a bad thing, as long as he continues

to at least tour here every now and then, so I can see him

live instead of always on youtube... :thumb_yello:

dcdeb

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooooh... I've never been part of a cult before :hypo: :hypo:

But I agree that it's not such a bad thing if he grows slowly over here --

I want him to be popular enough to want to tour here, but not so

popular that his shows have 10,000 people! Is that too much to ask? :naughty:

There does seem to be a mentality, though, that even if you're big

in the whole rest of the world, but unknown in the US, then you're

nothing, you haven't made it. I look at Robbie Williams or Scissor Sisters

and even Muse, which are huge in UK and Europe, but barely known

here in the States. I mean, let's put it this way -- none of them are a

Rihanna or Beyonce or Justin Timberlake with top 10 singles in the US and

UK and beyond simultaneously.

I worry that that might be Mika's fate here in the States -- to be #1

everywhere in the world but here. :blink: (Mika, if you're reading, I really

don't wish this on you -- I think everyone should love you! :blush-anim-cl: )

But as I say... that's not necessarily a bad thing, as long as he continues

to at least tour here every now and then, so I can see him

live instead of always on youtube... :thumb_yello:

dcdeb

Do you know Coldplay? They are more famous since the singer has been with Gwyneth Paltrow. I Think Mica needs to be with someone famous there. :naughty:

Look around you dcdeb because when a star is famous everywhere except in USA, they live in USA because they're quiet there. Open your eyes!

That's interesting. because where I live, he is quite unknown.

I think she's delusional! LOL! :insane:

most of the kids I know (my son's friends and my friends' kids)

have never even heard of him until I mention him.

dcdeb

Ha, okay then. I've never ever heard Mika on the radio, but it's probably because I'm in a little town in the middle of nowhere.

I've heard his song on TV a few times but that's pretty much it. I've never even seen his video on television. :blink:

-He has had exposure singing for "Ugly Betty" promo on ABC.

- And on NBC - "Love Today" was used for promoting new season of shows also,

BUT... one would not know it was "MIKA" singing if they don't know MIKA to begin with.

-He has had exposure singing for "Ugly Betty" promo on ABC.

- And on NBC - "Love Today" was used for promoting new season of shows also,

BUT... one would not know it was "MIKA" singing if they don't know MIKA to begin with.

It's a beginning.

In France, a TV show used "Relax" last january and everybody e-mailed them to know the name of the singer. They said they never received so many e-mails to know an artist before.

Um...I would NOT say Mika is EVERYWHERE in the US...he's featured on 2 TV commercials, but he is NOT getting spun on radio here. I check the official chart every few days and Mika is in the lower 100s with only like 3 stations spinning the songs. He's not that known here either so I dunno what this girl is talking about. :P

I never hear his music here in the Northeast USA either, and believe me, I listen hard for it! I heard him background on a few commercials, but just a split second thing.

An odd thing I noticed is that some people I know saw him on So You Think You Can Dance, and kinda dismissed him as a teeny bopper or bubblegum music.

THEN, when I play the KOKO video for them when he plays piano and sings "Stuck in the Middle", they are like, "This is the same guy????!!!'''and are immediately impressed. Even more so when they learn he wrote all his own music! AND hear some of his other songs.

So is he not being promoted the "right" way here--whatever right is, I mean, is the US not being shown the side of him that would impress the most? I don;t know.

I've mentioned this before but me and my sister were trying on clothes in a u.s. store New York & Company and while in the dressing room My Interpretation was playing on the speakers. I don't know if it was on the radio or if the staff played it. I thought that would of been cool if it was on radio. I could of just screamed to everyone in the store "I Love Love Mika! So everyone shut up and listen to this wonderful song." I had a smile on my face the whole time I was in that dressing room.

Love Love:wub2:

Megan

Natalie Jameson R1s entertainment reporter has just come back from there and was gushing about how he is on billboards and on the radio over there.

Oh really? I don't know where the hell she hears/sees this but I never do : [

Bad timing maybe?

Is this for real...?:blink:

I live in Canada.. I'm only about an hour or so away from US and Mika is NO WHERE!!! I heard him once on the radio, that's it! I'm really surprised they mentioned him being everywhere like that. I guess a whole hour is a big difference.

:biggrin2:

I think here in Quebec we felt for him because he speaks french! It's always a good think to win our hearts :biggrin2:

True ! But I think that's not what made us fall in love with him in the first place... it's really the music. Cause people didn't know he spoke french at first... it took a while before the knew about it. I knew a lot of people who loved him but didn't know he spoke french... But now that we all know he speaks french... I think we just love him MORE !!!

Is this for real...?:blink:

I live in Canada.. I'm only about an hour or so away from US and Mika is NO WHERE!!! I heard him once on the radio, that's it! I'm really surprised they mentioned him being everywhere like that. I guess a whole hour is a big difference.

:biggrin2:

I've heard many people say he's not that popular in the rest of Canada... I think in Ontario he's pretty popular... but here in Québec he is HUGELY popular !!!!!!!!

I've heard many people say he's not that popular in the rest of Canada... I think in Ontario he's pretty popular... but here in Québec he is HUGELY popular !!!!!!!!

I think that's true. I have yet to meet a handful of people who knew who Mika was without me telling them!

Same for me...almost everyone I know who actually knows of Mika was introduced to Mr. M amazingness by me!

Haha Mr. M amazingness:roftl:

I actually like telling everyone about him :biggrin2: I get to show off my knowledge. Everyone thinks I'm crazy though..:mf_lustslow:

I've been waiting to hear Mika here for ages. My husband heard him on the radio once--Grace Kelly. A few of my daughter's friends liked Grace Kelly, but didn't really know who Mika was.

But everyone who knows me knows who Mika is!!!

I know Deb is right, it would be good not to have to see him in huge stadiums/venues...but I really would love the US to be in on Mika Mania. I'd love to see him on billboards, his music all over the place. I'm just so glad I stopped to look at a People magazine in the grocery store one day and saw this young man whom the article said could sing like Freddie.

Since then it's been nothing but love and joy!