The wonderful world of Mika

dcdeb

From the Jakarta Post, of all places! :shocked:

P19D.jpg

The wonderful world of Mika

Kenny Santana, Contributor, Paris

Being touted as the next Freddie Mercury, "triumphant", "infuriatingly catchy" and "elegant" by the media, Mika's music career has been sweet as candy since it was launched last year upon the release of his debut album Life in Cartoon Motion.

Trekking Europe at the moment for his concert tour, Mika performed to a sold-out crowd of Parisians at the Le Zenith venue on .

With a ticket I got from eBay for almost double the original price of 37 euro (US$53), I made it to the venue half an hour before the show.

After the opening act by the electro-pop French singer Yelle at around 9:00 p.m., the Lebanese-born Mika entered the stage with his hit single Relax, Take it Easy. The crowd marched in union to the catchy lines of the song -- a perfect kick-start.

But to say it was a great opening gives no justice to the songs that, well, never for a second let you go. For instance, Big Girl (You are Beautiful) pays homage to all the plus-size women out there who are every bit as beautiful as the thin supermodel-obsessed ones. On stage, Mika danced together with a number of scantily dressed curvy women.

His bubble-gum pop lyrics in fact carry a deep message.

This is true of Billy Brown, which has bisexual undertones. Before launching into Billy Brown in the concert, Mika recalled: "When they heard this song they said 'It's impossible, we cannot release such a thing in the US, the United States of America!' However, a year later, here is the story of my friend Billy Brown!"

Dressed in a white shirt with silver accents, Mika continued to charm the audience with his version of My Interpretation.

The stage was decked out like a sugary cartoon world, with hand-painted graphics (think fairy-tale forest with snakes and stuff) in the background, completed with little details like flowers planted in his piano, neon lights for a colorful touch and later on, during his much-loved Love Today, a human puppet acting on stage plus a faux snowfall.

In a couple of songs Mika also demonstrated his drum and guitar skills. This was disco pop at its most fun -- refreshingly camp yet never kitsch.

The 24-year-old singer is chatty too, speaking impeccable French throughout the show much to the amusement of the audience. In the last part of the gig, Mika even sang some of Grace Kelly in French.

It came as no surprise that Mika, who only has one album out, could not give a long concert. The full show took only an hour-plus. But he still had Lollipop in reserve for the encore. Mika appeared from behind a white sheet, just like a shadow puppet, with a full team dressed in animal costumes dancing and posing. Think Energizer bunnies having too much fun (you surely know what I mean).

Giant balloons were flying around like brightly colored lollipops. And still in their animal costumes, only with their faces exposed this time, Mika and company sang, moved and jumped together with the audience, basically having real fun onstage. What is even better is that Mika did not have fun by himself, he took us with him to his wonderful world -- almost cartoon-like -- where fun is everyone's middle name.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailfeatures.asp?fileid=20071022.R03&irec=2

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic