Opinions about the DVD "Live in Cartoon Motion"

stien

I love the part when he realizes he might have to sing "Grace Kelly" for every single concert he ever does for the rest of his life![/font][/size][/color] :biggrin2:

LOL! That’s so fun! When reality hits him and he sees himself doing Grace Kelly at 65! :roftl:

I would react just like him...When you’ve decided not to sing the song ANYMORE and the audience screams “GRACE KELLY – GRACE KELLY”! :bleh:

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I want some audio from the concert, but I want the video to some parts of the documentary

For me getting parts of the document were tricky. It took me all night to get that bit about the wallet up onto YouTube. I can try to help with the concert audio though. I'll PM you on the weekend.

4) His piano playing is...are there words? I don't think there are. I love the way that he just randomly starts playing, doesn't even look at the keys at all - just launches into some fabulous melody.

Could that be one of the benefits of not being able to read music? Perhaps he never bothered to look at the keys and learned to hear/feel things immediately.

It was fun to watch, particularly since he seems to be happiest composing and playing with melodies than anything else shown in the doc.

I wish he would lose the keyboards at his live shows and only play piano. I know it's probably a logistical nightmare but his concerts, in the UK and France especially, are large enough to justify it.

6) In the concert footage from both Berlin and Munich, his pants are falling down. Either he didn't realize the first night and change his outfit accordingly, or it's actually footage just one concert? Not that I mind a bit of underwear exposure, mind you. :roftl:

Ummm...where have you been? Why do you think there were weeks of discussion about his underwear? (Why grey? Custom made or The Gap?)

Here he is in Toronto barely keeping them up:

1323103748_f69ce13c6b.jpg

They may be skinny jeans but he had an even skinnier ass back in the spring. Once the braces come off it's game over (or game on depending on how you look at it). :naughty:

Christine agrees, methinks, because she's already seen fit to screen cap said outfit:

Actually I didn't particularly notice the outfit, just the way the light catches his eyes. I'm a sucker for those eyes, always have been. :wub2: On Mika or anyone really.

10) About his show - something along the lines of "give me six months and it will be a whole lot more ridiculous." True words, Mr. Mika. Confetti canons and balloons? Bah. Now we have Gray Skelly, Saranayde and banjos!

Ah yes, hello fans??!! I can't believe anyone was complaining that the new shows or the MTV performance were not Mikaish. I knew he had been waiting months to get the resources and opportunity to ramp up his production.

And things are just going to get bigger and wilder in the coming years. This is his vision. It's not something that's being rammed down his throat by his record company or MTV.

16) It occured to me that if he records a new album before coming back to North America, his set will change muchly to include tracks from the new album. Which means that he will likley prioritize keeping the officially released singles from LICM in his act. That's a bit of a sad thought, because Any Other World, Stuck in the Middle and Billy Brown are among my favourites to see done live. Sigh. I so hope I get the chance.

Mika's shows are exceptionally short by concert standards which is why he always adds cover songs, has taken to extending Love Today and needs to repeat Relax in order to add a second encore. I suppose with his voice problems he may be forced to keep them on the short side but I expect for the next album at least he will just add new material and not drop very much.

Phew! That's my DVD review, lol. I so pity you all if I ever get the chance to write a gig review. We may have to buy yet another new server to contain all I'd have to say ;)

:biggrin2: I look forward to that review! Actually I hope I'll be at the concert too. :wink2:

*I pre-ordered my copy from AMAZON the day it was available for pre-order.

Just got notice that it will ship NOV. 13: Notice said that it should be delivered

to my front door sometime between Nov. 16th--20th!

I will, ofcourse, watch it as soon as I open it. I will also take it to my son's house

when I visit him in North Carolina for Thanksgiving holiday

--because he has some top notch video equipment, speakers & viewing screen, etc.

PRECIOUS, LITTLE MOMENT . . .

[Firstly, AMAZON is doing a good job of getting the DVD out.

I Received notice from them that is was being shipped NOV. 13th:

RECEIVED it NOV. 14th!]

I THOROUGHLY enjoyed the WHOLE THING. It was so nice to see the videos,

and ALL the rest, on a larger-than-youtube computer screen!

A precious, little moment I liked a lot, is when MIKA holds & pinches a baloon

at the VERY, EXACT end of one of his songs causing it to POP!

hey:naughty:

I loved the DVD ! I was a bit disapointed by the concert though. That night, he talked to the audience a LOT and they cut all of it out ! I don't kniw if you guys noticed but at the begining of Holly Johnny, before he says "Martin is in a hurry", he does THE CUTEST face EVER!! I loovved it!!:blush-anim-cl: I was in front of my computer and just said 'oohhh I love you!!" (I know I'm pathetic, given that I was alone in my room lol):shocked:

The documentary was amazing. What a blast to be on tour like that.

Oh my do I love him, it's horrible..:mf_lustslow:

Finally, finally, got to watch the DVD. Wow. *pours on raving fangirl-ness*

Whew! Thanks, Lollipop Monkey! I made a hard copy of your excellent post and am going to use it as a reference guide (ha ha) it when I watch LICM for the second time this afternoon!

Mika's concerts are so much MORE than just his voice--it's his attitude, his personality, his moves:shocked: , his musical artistry, his piano, his charisma:wub2: , everything!!

So even when his voice is NOT at full form, he is still better than almost ANY other artist performing at 100%!!!

In fact, he wouldn't have to sing and I would be enraptured!

I have to wait until christmas

You poor thing! At least it will make for a fabulous Christmas.

hey:naughty: I don't know if you guys noticed but at the begining of Holly Johnny, before he says "Martin is in a hurry", he does THE CUTEST face EVER!! I loovved it!!:blush-anim-cl: I was in front of my computer and just said 'oohhh I love you!!" (I know I'm pathetic, given that I was alone in my room lol):shocked:

The documentary was amazing. What a blast to be on tour like that.

Oh my do I love him, it's horrible..:mf_lustslow:

Aurelien, you're in the right place! The rest of the world might think you're nuts, but here we understand you, lol. I love the face at the beginning of Holy Johnny, and I love how they zoomed in on that million kilowatt smile.

It took me just over three hours to get through the two hour DVD because of how often I rewound it to watch parts over again.:blush-anim-cl:

You were there in Paris? Did they get any shots of you?

Whew! Thanks, Lollipop Monkey! I made a hard copy of your excellent post and am going to use it as a reference guide (ha ha) it when I watch LICM for the second time this afternoon!

Hehe that's awesome. Glad I could be of service. :roftl:

And yes, he's fabulous. He has so much freaking charisma, it just radiates from him. He could sing, he could play the piano, he could juggle oranges - hell, he could recite the phone book - I'd sit and watch, front row. :mf_rosetinted:

You were there in Paris? Did they get any shots of you?

No I wasn't in Paris for this concert but all my friends were and they told me that the DVD was not faithfull to the concert which is too bad. Apparently he did loads of talking, and joking and all.:wub2:

I too kept rewinding and all, he's iconic!:thumb_yello:

There are so many moments I would get all excited and smile stupidly at the screen lol

No I wasn't in Paris for this concert but all my friends were and they told me that the DVD was not faithfull to the concert which is too bad. Apparently he did loads of talking, and joking and all.

I guess that's the only downside of him speaking French. They didn't want to include it on the DVD. :thumbdown:

And yes, he's fabulous. He has so much freaking charisma, it just radiates from him. He could sing, he could play the piano, he could juggle oranges - hell, he could recite the phone book - I'd sit and watch, front row. :mf_rosetinted:

Oh boy, I'm worried for you. I can't even imagine what's going to happen when you see him live. Have you been to many concerts before?

I can't emphasize enough how different it is. No matter how many cool camera shots and edits they use, it's nothing compared to being there. The audience vibe, his energy, his voice. You can't replicate that with a television set.

I think it's especially true in Mika's case because his voice is so strong. I swear for the size of the club in Toronto he didn't even need to use a microphone he projects so well.

Oh boy, I'm worried for you. I can't even imagine what's going to happen when you see him live. Have you been to many concerts before?

I've been to a fair share, but admittedly, mostly country music concerts. The vibe at those most of those performances is positively mellow in comparison to what I've seen/heard about regarding Mika's performances. I mean, George Strait is talented and all, but last time I checked he wasn't into topless beating on garbage cans. :roftl:

And the answer is, when I see him live, my fellow MFCers are going to need to scrape me off the floor. Then I'm going to need to cancel my Visa, before I max it out by giving into the urge to chase that crazy beautiful boy around the world. :wub2:

I mean, George Strait is talented and all, but last time I checked he wasn't into topless beating on garbage cans. :roftl:

Yeah probably not the same thing :naughty:

And the answer is, when I see him live, my fellow MFCers are going to need to scrape me off the floor. Then I'm going to need to cancel my Visa, before I max it out by giving into the urge to chase that crazy beautiful boy around the world. :wub2:

Depending on what kind of venues he plays in Canada you should probably give in to temptation to see him at a club in the US.

I went to a Police concert last week and couldn't believe when a female security guard started harassing me to move 6 inches back into the row because I had one foot in the isle. 20 years ago she wouldn't have even been working there because security were 6'5" bouncers whose primary function was to make sure no one got killed when the first 30 rows rushed the stage. They weren't there to make sure no one could possibly enjoy themselves. :thumbdown:

Okay, first of all, I opened my mailbox today and my DVD was in there! WOOT WOOT! And then I popped it in and I watched the documentary first and this is my question: He sings "She's a player and a down-right WHORE" and on MY CD it says BORE instead of WHORE and I was wondering what is on everyone else's CD. Because I will be PISSED if I find out that I got an edited CD because I HATE those!

Also, a lot of the things he says I really don't understand. One in particular is when he says something about "If I could just have my recorded songs and my live songs I'd be happy because who wants to mime?" Could someone translate tis saying from Mikish to English so I can understand what he's talking about? Have the songs for what? Like on a CD? He doesn't have that? And where does miming come in?

Also, something I'm quite sad about...I don't think I'm physically attracted to him anymore! (NOT in a bad "I'm no longer a fan" way) This DVD is really the first time I've seen him in motion rather than in still photos and - OMG I JUST GOT A CRAMP IN MY FOOT AHHHHH IT HURTS!!!!!! Okay it's over - instead of thinking *sigh so cute* he just seems like a cool dude to hang out with who I would never have a crush on.

So those are some of my views! And I havn't even watched the concert yet! I may wait until my husband gets home to watch it with him and see what he thinks.

Okay, first of all, I opened my mailbox today and my DVD was in there! WOOT WOOT! And then I popped it in and I watched the documentary first and this is my question: He sings "She's a player and a down-right WHORE" and on MY CD it says BORE instead of WHORE and I was wondering what is on everyone else's CD. Because I will be PISSED if I find out that I got an edited CD because I HATE those!

and where do you live? Ow yes of course in the us... I never got why them do that in the vs :boxed:

I had finally time to watch it!! they cut out a lot of stuff from the gig and I think some of the magic can't be translated on a dvd. it's just not really live anymore lol

but interview part and all is GREAT!!

This DVD is really the first time I've seen him in motion rather than in still photos and - OMG I JUST GOT A CRAMP IN MY FOOT AHHHHH IT HURTS!!!!!! Okay it's over - instead of thinking *sigh so cute* he just seems like a cool dude to hang out with who I would never have a crush on.

Are you serious? You've never watched a video clip before? How is that possible? :shocked:

I think the bore line is standard on all CDs.

With the miming thing I think he just means that his live stuff is never going to be a faithful reproduction of the CD and he's fine with that. I had a clip of his Tonight Show performance on YouTube and had dozens of comments that he was lip synching because for a TV show like that he does try to simulate the recording as much as possible. He doesn't move around as much and there is playback used for enhanced backing vocals, etc.

A live concert is different. He jumps around a lot and when he gets overexcited he doesn't hit the notes every time. He also relies on the band more for backup instead of using his own recorded backing vocals.

Are you serious? You've never watched a video clip before? How is that possible? :shocked:

I think the bore line is standard on all CDs.

With the miming thing I think he just means that his live stuff is never going to be a faithful reproduction of the CD and he's fine with that. I had a clip of his Tonight Show performance on YouTube and had dozens of comments that he was lip synching because for a TV show like that he does try to simulate the recording as much as possible. He doesn't move around as much and there is playback used for enhanced backing vocals, etc.

A live concert is different. He jumps around a lot and when he gets overexcited he doesn't hit the notes every time. He also relies on the band more for backup instead of using his own recorded backing vocals.

I may have clicked on a YouTube video but as it's playing I'm doing other things, not really watching, but listening. I always have, like, 12 windows open on my screen at once.

And MIMING as in LIP SYNCING! Totally understand now. He does come pretty close to the recorded version when he's singing live most of the time from what I've heard.

Don't you agree that "bore" doesn't make a lot of sense? People who are players generally are the life of the party and aren't usually boring, right? Maybe it's just me. I kind of feel cheated! Darn you Mika!

Don't you agree that "bore" doesn't make a lot of sense? People who are players generally are the life of the party and aren't usually boring, right? Maybe it's just me. I kind of feel cheated! Darn you Mika!

No it doesn't make sense and in fact I thought it was whore until I saw the lyrics written somewhere. Aside from Grace Kelly I had only listened to LiCM a couple of times before I saw him live and after I picked up "whore" from the live performance that was all I heard afterwards.

He may have thought it was going to be released as a single, but he should have just done a clean edit if that happened and left the whore lyric on the album IMO.