Opinions about the DVD "Live in Cartoon Motion"

stien

4) His piano playing is...are there words? I don't think there are. I love the way that he just randomly starts playing, doesn't even look at the keys at all - just launches into some fabulous melody. He makes it look completely effortless - like all he as to do is simply think of a melody, and the piano just sings. My fiance made me rewind the part where he's talking about the "major to minor" sections of the Grace Kelly melody about four times. Mika, if you want to give your voice a break, release an EP of original piano-only music. I'd buy that!

I KNOW! Call me naive, but I didn't expect him to know that much about the piano, because he taught himself. I was surprised that he could improvise so well and know the technicalities about majors and minors. It surprised me. haha

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I KNOW! Call me naive, but I didn't expect him to know that much about the piano, because he taught himself. I was surprised that he could improvise so well and know the technicalities about majors and minors. It surprised me. haha

He's not self-taught, he just can't sight-read. He had that strict Russian teacher when he was a child and went on to the Royal College of Music after high school.

He's not self-taught, he just can't sight-read. He had that strict Russian teacher when he was a child and went on to the Royal College of Music after high school.

I know, but he's slightly self-taught. He learned by ear which most people usually do so when they end up working with other musicians, they don't know what a half note/rest/etc. is. I guess Mika isn't like that though. I didn't even know he was taught piano until after watching the DVD. I thought he had taught himslef this whole time:naughty:

Silly me..

I thought he had taught himslef this whole time:naughty:

Before I'd ever seen Mika or even knew that he played piano, I'd heard that he was operatically trained so I always assumed that he had a thorough understanding of music theory. I didn't hear about the dyslexia, etc. until months later.

Before I'd ever seen Mika or even knew that he played piano, I'd heard that he was operatically trained so I always assumed that he had a thorough understanding of music theory. I didn't hear about the dyslexia, etc. until months later.

I'm sure a lot of people though that haha, back in the olden days :lmao:

Also, a lot of the things he says I really don't understand. One in particular is when he says something about "If I could just have my recorded songs and my live songs I'd be happy because who wants to mime?" Could someone translate tis saying from Mikish to English so I can understand what he's talking about? Have the songs for what? Like on a CD? He doesn't have that? And where does miming come in?

His songs change so much from the CD version to the live version. In fact, I'd say there can even be a third version in some cases - the acoustic live version.

For your comparing pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsyOr71F-0w - CD Version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHyt2D4AvCY - Full rocked out live version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAFp5XjOpZA - Live, just him and a keyboard

Also, something I'm quite sad about...I don't think I'm physically attracted to him anymore! ... Instead of thinking *sigh so cute* he just seems like a cool dude to hang out with who I would never have a crush on.

Hehe, total opposite for me. Having watched the DVD, he seems like a cool dude to hang out with - who I happen to have raging mad obsessive crush on. :biggrin2:

I hope your husband gets some enjoyment out of it - my fiance quite liked it, despite the fact that I spent the duration of the video 12 inches from the TV, sighing dreamily. :mf_lustslow:

I just realized that there were very few (if any) clips of Martin or Luke. I know its not about them, but it would have been great to hear them speak a line or two....(someone must have already mentioned this, before me). :blink:

I just realized that there were very few (if any) clips of Martin or Luke. I know its not about them, but it would have been great to hear them speak a line or two....(someone must have already mentioned this, before me). :blink:

You're right. Mika was probably like "Say a word and you're out of the band :glasses2:"

he is my 1OTH COUSIN ninth removed..:roftl: :roftl:

he and I are obviously related!

I have music dyslexia too!!!!!

can't write a music on sheet music if I tried!

(all in my head...like the MR M)

h I don't kniw if you guys noticed but at the begining of Holly Johnny, before he says "Martin is in a hurry", he does THE CUTEST face EVER!! I loovved it!!:blush-anim-cl: I was in front of my computer and just said 'oohhh I love you!!" (I know I'm pathetic, given that I was alone in my room lol):shocked:

I love the face at the beginning of Holy Johnny, and I love how they zoomed in on that million kilowatt smile.

21266597ta0.jpg

yeah i feel the same!! i rewatch this part many times!!!!!!!!!! :roftl::wub2:

My mum said it sucked but she doesn't know anything since she dislikes the Mikster. I made her sit down on the chair and watch it. I said: "Look mum, let's see Love Today" and my mother: "No not that song!" And I was jumping around being my normal self and my mother suddenly saw Mikey and said: "What is that old man doing on stage?" I was totally shocked and exclaimed: "Mum! That's MIKEY!" And she just shrugged. And I showed her the HE video and she said: "Why does he like balloons so much? Gosh he's not a child is he?" And I just had to smile and say: "He kinda is" And then I watched his version of Everybody's talking and she said that if he ever went to X-factor with that song he wouldn't make it to the next round. I thought she was going nuts. How could someone refuse THAT voice!

But her opinion doesn't count. After all she doesn't like him at all. I tortured her by playing Lollipop, her least favorite song a couple of times.:naughty:

Oh and I actually do think Mika and Mikey have to go to X-factor dressed up. That would be a great idea, I'd like to see Cowell's face when they take the heads off:biggrin2:

Is "crap" considered a swear word in Europe? I was very surprised that THAT was beeped out as well. :boxed:

Not as far as I'm concerned but I don't know since they never beep things out here in Holland, not even the f word:blink:

Hey guys!

Well I watched the concert part of the video and also a bit of the interview... it just made me smile... I thought I would cry, but surprisingly I didn't feel the need to. I guess because I knew that soon he would be getting the book, and he would know that I existed! It's not like I worship someone who doesn't care, he'll know atleast my name by the end of all of this lol.

But, Anyother world did make me feel the need to cry:bleh:

It made me laugh, smile, jump around. I feel very lucky to have gotten to see him live 3 times...it's a blessing, and the dvd captured that.

lots of love,

melanie

Yeah, I was surprised it was censored on the DVD- not even US DVDs are censored (mostly).

I think as someone mentioned earlier they were just trying to control the rating so people wouldn't think it was unsuitable for teens or kids.

I gave all this hints necessary for my kids to get this for me for Christmas - I think my daughter thought she had my pressie sewn up - then I just couldn't resist going out on Monday and buying it! - OOOppps how to annoy a 13 year old very easily LOL!!!! They copy I did get had a massive scratch on it so I took it back and *horror* they didn't any left, living in a small town no-where else sells music dvds so I made hubby drive 40miles that night to find a replacement for me - OOOps how to annoy a hubby very easily!!!LOL

Well worth alienating my family for though, Fabulous DVD - much longer than most music DVD's - packed to the brim with live music chat and videos - I haven't watched anything else for a week. Especially loving Holy Johnny on DVD as I haven't been able to get a copy of it to listen too anywhere else.

BTW Mika - IT'S A PURSE!!!!!! Sorry sweetie but there it is!

Me and my dvd will be heading for Birmingham to get autographed (the DVD not me obviously!!.... actually I can think of a few places I would mind being signed but let stop this now for the sake of decency eh!!?)

Cathi XX