Eccentric, energetic and entertaining - that's Mika

dcdeb

By HAYLEY REVELL

Concert review from the Carling Academy

The arrival of Mika in Newcastle on Monday night brought a varied audience to the sold out Carling Academy, and when the girl next to me was a seven-year-old and the woman in front was dressed in a wig and butterfly wings, I wondered what the night had in store.

His first appearance in the region was slightly overshadowed by a certain man band appearing at another venue, but credit where credit is due - this was one of the performances of the year.

The 23-year-old bounded on stage just after 9pm, clearly just as excited to be there as the crowd, and launched straight into his new single Relax (Take It Easy) and Big Girl (You Are Beautiful), sending the audience wild.

Certain similarities between Mika and legend Freddie Mercury were there for everyone to see, as he raced across the stage in an energetic performance and his powerful voice and high pitched tones would have impressed the harshest of critics.

The more songs he sang, the louder the crowd cheered, and one particular favourite was Billy Brown. Before performing the song he let the crowd into a tale about how top music mogul Tommy Matola rejected him in the US after hearing that song, and so Mika told him in no uncertain terms where to go!

The majority of the show was fast paced in the pop rock sense that Mika is famous for, but things slowed down once or twice, and his last single Happy Ending/Over My Shoulder had the crowd waving their arms and joining in the vocals.

The biggest cheer of the night came for Grace Kelly, the song that flung the half Lebanese, half American singing sensation into the limelight in 2006.

The audience loved it and screamed for him to sing more, and not for the first time during the night he seemed genuinely humbled by the reaction.

One last special treat was in store as the singer and his band returned to the stage in a cartoon sketch which had everyone clapping and cheering.

The venue then descended into camp chaos as streamers and giant balloons descended on the crowd and the band performed Lollipop dressed as bunny rabbits, crocodiles and other cartoon characters.

I don't think the Carling Academy has seen a show like this before, and I don't think it will again.

Delightfully eccentric, highly energetic and thoroughly entertaining.

http://www.newsguardian.co.uk/music/Eccentric-energetic-and-entertaining-.3526138.jp

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this review :thumb_yello:, thanks for posting!

I find it be a bit ~"third person"- it would have been interesting to hear the authors own thoughts on what she, Hayley Revell, made of Mika- for the most part she just sounded like an outsider making observations and didn't participate.

I find it be a bit ~"third person"- it would have been interesting to hear the authors own thoughts on what she, Hayley Revell, made of Mika- for the most part she just sounded like an outsider making observations and didn't participate.

True, Akim... and the little inaccuracies bother me as well (Mika's 24, e.g.)

but overall, it's positive, and I much prefer her detachment over an

obviously biased, negative review as we've seen elsewhere. :thumb_yello:

dcdeb

The more songs he sang, the louder the crowd cheered, and one particular favourite was Billy Brown. Before performing the song he let the crowd into a tale about how top music mogul Tommy Matola rejected him in the US after hearing that song, and so Mika told him in no uncertain terms where to go!

:roftl: :roftl: :roftl:

I can now envision a duet with George Michael. :naughty:

True, Akim... and the little inaccuracies bother me as well (Mika's 24, e.g.)

but overall, it's positive, and I much prefer her detachment over an

obviously biased, negative review as we've seen elsewhere. :thumb_yello:

dcdeb

That's the word...Detachment!!:thumb_yello:

I know what you mean, but personally I'm just happy to read a nice review at the moment, one which acknowledges Mika's strengths instead of picking him apart.

I have my protective mothering head on today Akim :bleh::wink2: