Mika's Personal Life

lollipop_monkey

Mika gave a clue about his sexuality. I can't remember where he said it, but he said the clue was in his lyrics.

The biggest clue?

In Lollipop.

Mika: Mama told ME what I should know:

Mama, to Mika: Too much candy gonna rot your soul. If SHE loves YOU let HER go, cos love only gets you down.

That is my interpretation.

Oh it was Mama to MIKA?

Isn't Lollipop a messege to his sister?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mama, to Mika: Too much candy gonna rot your soul. If SHE loves YOU let HER go, cos love only gets you down.

Interesting view, but he could hardly put the lyrics "If HE loves you, let HIM go!"

and besides - this conversation with his mother could have happened before he confessed his true self to her and then after, he wrote Stuck in the Middle :wink2:

Interesting view, but he could hardly put the lyrics "If HE loves you, let HIM go!"

and besides - this conversation with his mother could have happened before he confessed his true self to her and then after, he wrote Stuck in the Middle :wink2:

So many good points!!

IT'S CONFUSING!!

:huglove: It was great to meet you too! I may come back to London again. Any chance you can stick around for a bit for some MFC festivities? If not at least we could actually see the concert this time.

aaahh you should! I'd love to stick around a bit more this time. we would have stayed last time but my dad left Rose's car park instructions at home.

MEN!

Oh it was Mama to MIKA?

Isn't Lollipop a messege to his sister?

it IS a message to his sister, but he's giving her a point to remember.

"mama told me what i should know: 'too much candy gonna rot your soul!

if she loves you, let her go! cos love only gets you down!'

Take a look at a boy like me: never stood on my own two feet

Now I'm blue as I can be, oh love come and get me down!"

meaning when you fall in love, you're gonna have a heartbreak somewhere. He said in an interview that the song was saying "respect yourself and stay away from boys because they're just gonna mess you around" but the fact is, when you're a teenager, you're gonna get screwed at some point. Not screwed as in "chicken" but screwed as in "messed up".

why not? He sung "Then Billy Brown fell in love with another man" :blink:

and besides, we have no idea what SITM is about. I personally don't think it's about his sexuality. Someone once posted that it was about how your views on your parents/peers change as you get older

"I look at you, you look at me, we bite each other

And with your bitter words you kick me in the gutter.

But my troops are bigger than yours

You'll never stand my fight

Ours is a family that's based upon tradition

But with my careless words I tread upon your vision

Are five kids better than one who doesn't lie to become?"

not only that, he could have edited the lyrics in Lollipop if he wanted to. He said he's not uncomfortable about discussing it, whether he is straight, gay or bi.

why not? He sung "Then Billy Brown fell in love with another man" :blink:

He can't have every song on his album referencing 'men love men' otherwise it becomes less and less 'mainstream' and less likely to appeal to a wider audience. If the whole album was all about gay men, would it appeal to the straight audience? Probably not.

I agree that in Lollipop "mama" was talking to the sister. Makes more sense.

Edit: I am confusing myself LOL

So she's saying to the sister: if she loves you let her go?

Or how do I need to see that?

(just wondering :bleh:)

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3573

"There's a lot of speculation over your sexual orientation. Are you surprised?

Mika: Very surprised! I'm very surprised that in 2007, this can be something over which everyone is fighting just to know about it...It's a bit too much."

But don't you think he would have had the same reaction if you'd asked him in March if he was surprised that people were looking at microscopic images of his eyeballs to determine if he wears contacts? That there have been at least half a dozen threads on whether he has a mole, an indentation or a piercing in his left ear? That a thread entitled Mikagasmic Pics is one of the most popular of all time? That there are almost no threads devoted to his songs but one for every body part and patch of hair?

As I said earlier we can't take random comments that Mika made when his career was barely in its infancy and apply it as gospel until the end of time. He probably couldn't fathom at the time how anyone could be that interested in anything about him.

The press wants to pry him for information because they can use it to make money. Fans speculate because they are hopelessly curious about all things Mika from what brand of underwear he buys to who he may fall in love with.

He has been very tolerant and indulgent of his fans and our bizarre overinterest in him and I don't believe for a minute he is offended by discussions of this nature.

I think as most of us would feel, it's only offensive if the comments are borne of homophobia. Not curiosity.

I know I wouldn't drive in London :biggrin2:

Maybe it's his dyslexia stopping him *shrugs*

I've been driving my whole life and I wouldn't drive in London either. I think I went to the Earl's Court Tesco from South Kensington once, but that's it. :blink:

You haven't been in my taxi. :mf_rosetinted:

Yes you and your taxi are awesome! :wub2:

I owe you dinner for all those entertaining rides around town. Chez Marcelle in February?

I've been remembering something that Mika once said in an interview

as well, and it took me a while to find it. This is it, from the interview

mentioned in this thread:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3573

"There's a lot of speculation over your sexual orientation. Are you surprised?

Mika: Very surprised! I'm very surprised that in 2007, this can be something over which everyone is fighting just to know about it...It's a bit too much."

He thinks it too much for people to be fighting to know about it, not that he thinks it too much for people to discuss it (without actually fighting to find out the true answer)... which "surprise, surprise" is exactly what I've been saying all day anyway...

Right, it's a matter of what's right for the MFC as a whole. I, too,

remember when the decision was made that the topic wasn't going

to be discussed ad nauseam.

Well, the MFC as a whole has grown since then. And I would never agree anyway that it's in the best interest of the MFC to not discuss what is within their right to discuss if they do it properly.

Wow, you make me feel like Hitler. :blush-anim-cl:

I apologise if I made anyone feel like they are harsh people as that wasn't my intention, I merely view some approaches on the topic unjustifiably harsh. :blush-anim-cl:

I hope this isn't an argument, and I hope people aren't getting touchy.

I hope I'm not coming across as defensive, because I'm not -- just

trying to explain some things and also express my opinion as a fan

club member, NOT as a moderator.

No one has gotten touchy as far as I know, we're discussing our views as a topic here and not targeting each other as people so it's been all good so far.

I'm not sure if they took his quote out of context, they say that he claims that that his songs contain clues about his sexuality but the quote that they've included is just him saying that sexuality is not a taboo subject in his CD.

Mika gave a clue about his sexuality. I can't remember where he said it, but he said the clue was in his lyrics.

The biggest clue?

In Lollipop.

That is my interpretation.

I would take that with a pinch of salt. Remember Darren Hayes? His love songs were always addressed to women but what do you know he's gay...

Are we discussing Stuck in the Middle? Because that for me is more of a give away than Billy Brown, Big Girl or Lollipop combined.

He can't have every song on his album referencing 'men love men' otherwise it becomes less and less 'mainstream' and less likely to appeal to a wider audience. If the whole album was all about gay men, would it appeal to the straight audience? Probably not.

i didn't say every song: it would only be two, if that was the case. There's still "Big Girl, you are beautiful" to consider. Not only that, Mika didn't put the those songs on his album to help get his record selling, he didn't do it to be "mainstream", it was a coming of age album.

As for the whole mama thing...I was pretty sure that Mika's sister is STRAIGHT? After he was saying in an interview that she should stay away from BOYS?

and when Mika says "Mama told ME what I should know: "too much candy gonna rot your soul..." it is pretty clear that Mika's mama is talking to him and he is just simply passing on the advice.

I don't remember that at all -- I hope you can find it.

Well I found the one I was looking for, but it wasn't the one I was looking for :roftl: I was looking for a specific quote and I thought it was from that interview, but it apparantly wasn't :doh: I didn't remember that interview completely without reason though, he does actually say that he doesn't care (:mf_rosetinted: )

Have any bad stories come out, ’cause they’re obsessed with the ‘is he or isn’t he gay’ question, aren’t they?

How can somebody saying I may be gay be a bad thing? I don’t care about that.

http://www.me-me-me.tv/2007/07/25/exclusive-mika/

I owe you dinner for all those entertaining rides around town. Chez Marcelle in February?

You don't owe me, but it does sound good!

I would have seriously considered NY, but because of the 3 feb UK gigs, they were all just too close together £ wise!

kata

Ugh we're all so confused.:blink:

I'm not :bleh:

I don't think about it, have other things to do :bleh:

Only that reaction made me wonder .. think it needs some explanation :bleh:

I would take that with a pinch of salt. Remember Darren Hayes? His love songs were always addressed to women but what do you know he's gay...

Oh I know. What about Lance from Nsync? That guy from Westlife? Stephen Gates from Boyzone? George Michael?

I completely understand what you mean. But hey ho. We're never gonna know are we?

You don't owe me, but it does sound good!

I would have seriously considered NY, but because of the 3 feb UK gigs, they were all just too close together £ wise!

kata

you desperately want me to find all your posts? :roftl:

This is one reason I didn't take English Literature to higher education. I enjoy reading too much and was afraid that the over analysing needed to complete such a course would dull my enthusiasm for reading.

The same for Mika's songs, I don't want to over analyse them for 'clues' to his sexuality or any other aspect of his life, it would spoil my enjoyment of his music.

I am such a simpleton at heart. :mf_rosetinted:

kata

This is one reason I didn't take English Literature to higher education. I enjoy reading too much and was afraid that the over analysing needed to complete such a course would dull my enthusiasm for reading.

The same for Mika's songs, I don't want to over analyse them for 'clues' to his sexuality or any other aspect of his life, it would spoil my enjoyment of his music.

I am such a simpleton at heart. :mf_rosetinted:

kata

can i agree with you?:thumb_yello:

Well I found the one I was looking for, but it wasn't the one I was looking for :roftl: I was looking for a specific quote and I thought it was from that interview, but it apparantly wasn't :doh: I didn't remember that interview completely without reason though, he does actually say that he doesn't care (:mf_rosetinted: )

Have any bad stories come out, ’cause they’re obsessed with the ‘is he or isn’t he gay’ question, aren’t they?

How can somebody saying I may be gay be a bad thing? I don’t care about that.

http://www.me-me-me.tv/2007/07/25/exclusive-mika/

He doesn't care if people say that he may be gay. That's as far as this discussion goes anyway, we say he may be this or that but don't claim to know. So Mika isn't against us discussing his sexuality in hypothetical terms?