Mika's Personal Life

lollipop_monkey

Of course it is possible. Many people do. No matter if you are 17 or 24 or 40.

edit: serious post.

just kidding about Mika...:bored: My aunt never needs it, is never interested, so she could be labeled as asexual...but she's paralyzed and has not sensibility under the waist-line and legs. Other people have psychological problems. Not my situation, not other people I know from here's situation either.

I'm starting to wonder which of the things you say are serious and which not. The mask you created for the MFC, I don't like it much. Perhaps real Petra is better...:thumbdown:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ME! But not until you and FD give me the go-ahead to post my draft with Jack's modification, and the modification I mention next...

It all sounds OK to me... can't speak for Freddie or anyone else. :original:

What is the thread title going to be, do you think?

dcdeb

It all sounds OK to me... can't speak for Freddie or anyone else. :original:

What is the thread title going to be, do you think?

dcdeb

Hmm.

Good question. I think someone suggested "The Mika's Sexuality Thread".

I don't want to be to blunt, but I don't want to be vague, either.

Thoughts?

Draft "first post" content:

Ever since Mika first began to be noticed by the media in late 2006/early 2007, there has been some speculation regarding his sexual orientation. The media, in particular, have tried to determine whether Mika is gay, straight, or somewhere in between.

However, thus far Mika himself has made a point not to publicly discuss his sexuality or anything pertaining to that aspect of his personal life. He has (to date) never publicly announced anything regarding his sexuality, nor has he ever said anything publicly about any romantic relationships.

When asked about his sexuality, Mika has been very consistent in politely informing the interviewer that it's not a topic he wishes to discuss. Below are a few quotes from Mika himself on the subject:

In an interview posted on pinknews.co.uk in January 2007:

“I never talk about anything to do with my sexuality. I just don't think I need to. People ask me all the time. But I just don't see the point.”

In the July 2007 edition of Out Magazine:

"Anyone can label me, but I'm not willing to label myself”.

He then went on to refute the claim that he’s refusing to discuss the issue in order to sell more records:

“Anybody who says that I don't talk about sexuality or that I don't politically sexualize my music because of taboos, because of being afraid of [not] selling records, is completely wrong. I've made a record that doesn't compromise in any way what I'm allowed or not allowed to say in my lyrics.”

In June 2007, when the topic came up on CBS Logo:

“I get asked it all the time, everyday. People have a right to ask it and I have a right to answer it in a way that I feel is appropriate.”

Despite Mika’s position that he won’t discuss the subject, however, some people are still curious. Many people have their own thoughts and opinions. This thread is a space for sharing those opinions. In addition, people might have questions, or want clarification. Perhaps you read the interview in Out Magazine and are wondering what is meant by “post-gay”. Feel free to ask that in this thread.

Before posting, however, please note:

1) That no one is going to suddenly have a moment, based on something Mika said/did in an interview/at a performance, where instantly all questions regarding his sexuality are undeniably answered. Unless Mika changes his position and chooses to publicly discuss his sexuality, we can guess and we can speculate, but will never truly know. All we have are personal opinions – there is no “proof”.

2) It’s perfectly okay to have questions or to not have much background knowledge regarding the varied topic of human sexuality. However, this is not the place for comments that are blatantly derogatory to any person or any sexual orientation. The purpose of this thread is to share ideas and to learn, not to judge.

3) This is a moderated forum, and like all other content posted on this site, this thread will be moderated. However, if everyone takes a moment to consider their comments before posting, we will avoid the situations which require our moderators to step in. The last thing we want is for this thread to be closed due to inappropriate comments.

4) Despite the fact that it’s very easy to feel as though this site is our own little private oasis, it is, however, a public site that anyone (journalists, Mika’s friends, even Mika himself) can access.

For better or worse, sexuality is a topic that is regularly discussed in today’s world – from changing definitions and boundaries, to various countries debating the legality of aspects pertaining to non-heterosexual relationships. Therefore, we’ve taken the approach that we will have this space for discussion. However, this is a Mika Fan Forum, and for many Mika fans, it is ultimately about his music. Because of this, discussion of the subject will be restricted to this particular thread. We ask that our members avoid creating additional threads on the topic.

So, that said – feel free to join in the discussion!

I think that was great!!! It left no holes and was very clear!

Without disclosing too much, can you give a general idea of why the photos in question were asked to be deleted? For example:

A) They were personal photos, not taken at a public event, taken by a friend/family and somehow leaked (a lucky Flickr search, perhaps, or plucked from a private MySpace)

I think the private MySpace thing is a problem, but there's no such thing as a lucky search on Flickr. Either photos are public or they're not and if they're public you can expect that someone is going to find them and post them.

If the photographer or other people close to Mika want them removed from MFC, that's fair enough, but I don't think there should be a lot of recriminations and accusations here by members.

If someone is serious about keeping their photos private, then they shouldn't post them publicly to a photo sharing site. :doh:

If someone is serious about keeping their photos private, then they shouldn't post them publicly to a photo sharing site. :doh:

I can think of a couple instances where this issue came up - first, there's some pictures on one of the photo sharing sites of one of Mika's sisters in a garden, clearly not marked private as they were found in a search.

Secondly, I remember a while back (summertime?) someone posted some pictures of Mika from some kind of a public event, and then went nuts when those pictures were found and posted on here. Despite the fact that the person they belonged to had indeed posted them on a non-private photo sharing site.

So yeah, while your comment is valid, I think you may have forgetten that sometimes common sense just isn't too common.

So yeah, while your comment is valid, I think you may have forgetten that sometimes common sense just isn't too common.

I'm not sure a day goes by when I'm not reminded that most people are devoid of common sense. I live in Toronto afterall. :naughty:

I think his family should be off limits in any candid shots.

I'm not sure a day goes by when I'm not reminded that most people are devoid of common sense. I live in Toronto afterall. :naughty:

I think his family should be off limits in any candid shots.

Yeah I think so too

Just because Mika's famous doesn't mean they should subjected to having their pictures and other personal things on the internet. I for one would be completely freaked out if there were random pictures of me on the internet that I wasn't aware of.

Hmm.

Good question. I think someone suggested "The Mika's Sexuality Thread".

I don't want to be to blunt, but I don't want to be vague, either.

Thoughts?

I have nothing more creative. Seeing "Mika's Sexuality"

as a thread every day is going to make me cringe,

but I can't think of anything better.

And also that not everyone is a computer savvy as we may be.

Someone may innocently post photos as "public" not realizing that

they have the option to make them private. Does that mean we

should exploit that and post them on the forum? I don't think so.

Honestly, I think it seems that most all of us agree that personal or

candid photos taken at a private event should be off limits, so I

hope that this point will be moot.

dcdeb

I have nothing more creative. Seeing "Mika's Sexuality"

as a thread every day is going to make me cringe,

dcdeb

What about the: "Discuss Mika's Sexuality/Asexuality Here But We'll Never Know and We Respect His Privacy and We'll Be Fans Regardless" thread. :naughty:

I have nothing more creative. Seeing "Mika's Sexuality" as a thread every day is going to make me cringe,

It makes me cringe too, but I don't like the idea of a dedicated thread anyway.

Honestly I wish we could just treat this topic as any other in that if people want to mention it once in awhile no one throws a hissy fit.

I don't understand why it has to be such a big production that the options are censorship or creating an entire thread especially for it with all these disclaimers, which only results in drawing undue attention to the topic.

What if we have a general sexuality thread and people are permitted to discuss Mika's sexuality within it if they so choose?

What about the: "Discuss Mika's Sexuality/Asexuality Here But We'll Never Know and We Respect His Privacy and We'll Be Fans Regardless" thread. :naughty:

you can put all those words in a title??? :naughty:

if the answer is yes, it sounds quite clear for me...:thumb_yello:

Good idea, Christine...a general thread would be good, 'cause this one had posts talking in general about sexuality, not only Mika's

What if we have a general sexuality thread and people are permitted to discuss Mika's sexuality within it if they so choose?

Part of the reason why I worded that draft content as I did was to outline "the facts" that a lot of new members seek. The purpose of the thread would be twofold - to answer those basic questions, and then to provide space for people to chat about it if so inclined.

I'm also not a huge fan of calling it "The Mika's Sexuality Thread", but if we go with just "The Sexuality Thread", newbies might not make the connnection that they can have their basic questions about Mika's sexuality answered in that thread.

Unless, as I think was mentioned earlier:

- the FAQs section is updated

- a link to the FAQs is included in each member's welcome PM, and

- within the FAQs section is a question about Mika's sexuality, with a link to the thread as part of the answer.

That might work?

I'm also not a huge fan of calling it "The Mika's Sexuality Thread", but if we go with just "The Sexuality Thread", newbies might not make the connnection that they can have their basic questions about Mika's sexuality answered in that thread.

Newbies usually have no idea how to get any of their questions answered. This forum is replete with poorly labelled threads which is part of the reason we end up with 10 threads on a hot topic.

I think it should be handled the same way all duplicate threads are handled. By closing it and directing people to the existing thread.

Maybe I'm just not paying close enough attention but the "Is Mika gay?" threads seem to come few and far between now.

Part of the reason why I worded that draft content as I did was to outline "the facts" that a lot of new members seek. The purpose of the thread would be twofold - to answer those basic questions, and then to provide space for people to chat about it if so inclined.

Unless, as I think was mentioned earlier:

- the FAQs section is updated

- a link to the FAQs is included in each member's welcome PM, and

- within the FAQs section is a question about Mika's sexuality, with a link to the thread as part of the answer.

That might work?

I have been reading this thread .... & I don't think that I have posted (:naughty: It's been going on for days ..... :naughty: )

However .... I vote for your last FAQ's suggestion lollipop_monkey ... for me ... that ties the whole thing up ... & in fact ... this is what I felt in the first place ...... :thumb_yello:

FAQ are good, but otherwise, I'm with lollipop... the thread needs to be clearly marked and be its own thing, so that lollipop's good informative post can be at the top and easily accessible to any newcomers.

Heck, I'd even be for calling "Is Mika Gay?" It's not too elegant-sounding, but whatever. That's what people ask and what they want to know, right? Might as well not beat around the bush. At least that way it might get the newbies' attention and be easy for them to spot.

--Jack

FAQ are good, but otherwise, I'm with lollipop... the thread needs to be clearly marked and be its own thing, so that lollipop's good informative post can be at the top and easily accessible to any newcomers.

Heck, I'd even be for calling "Is Mika Gay?" It's not too elegant-sounding, but whatever. That's what people ask and what they want to know, right? Might as well not beat around the bush. At least that way it might get the newbies' attention and be easy for them to spot.

--Jack

Good idea Jack, that would definitely get the majority of new posters to read it. "Is Mika Gay?.. and other FAQs"

--Jack

OK .... so ... can the thread be linked to the FAQ then .. ??? Rather than some ongoing feature ... (which it may become anyway) ... :naughty:

OK .... so ... can the thread be linked to the FAQ then .. ??? Rather than some ongoing feature ... (which it may become anyway) ... :naughty:

I think that we should:

1) Assign someone (or preferably a few someones) the tast of updating the FAQs section, organizing it, and then having it "stickied" in the intros section. Yops thread is a great start, but I think that it should be re-created as a new thread with the very obvious title of "Frequently Asked Questions". One of those questions should be "Is Mika gay?" That question should be answered with "Mika has never publicly said anything about his sexuality. You can read more about it here", with a link to the sexuality thread.

2) We should talk to Deano (or other appropriate person) about getting a link to the FAQs thread PM'd to new members. Does anyone remember the welcome PM you received as soon as you signed up - I think it's marked to come from "mikablog"?

It would be great if that PM could be modified to refer to the fact that we have an FAQs thread, and provide a link to it.

3) I still think a new thread should be created. I'm for calling it "The Sexuality Thread". Yes, newbies might not themselves realize that the thread will answer their basic questions about Mika's sexuality, but that's why it will be linked from the relevant question in the FAQs section. That title also opens the door for discussions about sexuality that might not pertain specifically to Mika, which hast the potential to be a great learning tool.

Anyone else have any thoughts, additions/deletions or suggestions? I think we should get the ball rolling on this.

Honestly I wish we could just treat this topic as any other in that if people want to mention it once in awhile no one throws a hissy fit.

I don't understand why it has to be such a big production that the options are censorship or creating an entire thread especially for it with all these disclaimers, which only results in drawing undue attention to the topic.

I disagree that it doesn't need a purpose-built place for it to be discussed as people often open threads to discuss it. I think that the disclaimers are necessary to keep a balance: those who wish to discuss it can do so yet without unduly compromising the views of 'we don't care' (i.e. making it clear that Mika's sexuality, whatever it may be, shouldn't affect our love of his music) and remaining true to the reality that Mika's policy means that we will never know anything for sure anyway.

I do agree, however, that mentioning it elsewhere shouldn't induce a hissy fit. Or cold comments of 'we don't care' or 'you're a homophobe' (to mention both cards that can be played to close off the topic) for that matter. Mentioning it in a few posts here or there should be fine, but when people start to actually discuss it perhaps a kind mention of the new thread with a link where the subject can be discussed would be better.

I like the concept of having a general sexuality thread. Since no one knows what Mika's sexuality is, the discussion quite often reflects the poster more than Mika himself, and people can be prompted to discuss their own sexuality of views on sexuality. This thread is an example of that. But if people want to have a more specific thread pertaining to Mika's sexuality so as to not confuse newbies and to help channel the discussion to that thread alone then I would understand. I would suggest, though, that in the first post you clearly open up the discussion to general sexuality too so that it'll be more interactive i.e. Mika inspiring discussion of bigger issues and not just an analysis of Mika himself.

--Jack

I would rather we not call it "Is Mika Gay?". While that is the question that many people have when they first consider the topic, the topic itself is much more than that. What I would suggest is that in the FAQ we have a blunt question like "Is Mika Gay?" to attract newbies attention (as Jack pointed out, that's the question on a lot of people's lips initially) and have the actual thread as more general and inclusive e.g. "Mika's Sexuality" or "The Mika's Sexuality Thread".

I think that we should:

1) Assign someone (or preferably a few someones) the tast of updating the FAQs section, organizing it, and then having it "stickied" in the intros section. Yops thread is a great start, but I think that it should be re-created as a new thread with the very obvious title of "Frequently Asked Questions". One of those questions should be "Is Mika gay?" That question should be answered with "Mika has never publicly said anything about his sexuality. You can read more about it here", with a link to the sexuality thread.

2) We should talk to Deano (or other appropriate person) about getting a link to the FAQs thread PM'd to new members. Does anyone remember the welcome PM you received as soon as you signed up - I think it's marked to come from "mikablog"?

It would be great if that PM could be modified to refer to the fact that we have an FAQs thread, and provide a link to it.

3) I still think a new thread should be created. I'm for calling it "The Sexuality Thread". Yes, newbies might not themselves realize that the thread will answer their basic questions about Mika's sexuality, but that's why it will be linked from the relevant question in the FAQs section. That title also opens the door for discussions about sexuality that might not pertain specifically to Mika, which hast the potential to be a great learning tool.

Anyone else have any thoughts, additions/deletions or suggestions? I think we should get the ball rolling on this.

May I first respond to this by saying ...... YAAAYYY ... Yes Jack !!!:thumb_yello: Go for it .....

Returning to lollipop_monkeys post .....

#1. Mika HAS said smth about his sexuality (sorry to be pedantic) ... & that is .... that it has nothing to do with his music(yeh... right) ... & that his sexual pref. need not be brought into it ... (the music) ..... therefore .... us ... as his audience .... may just get into his music ... & ... thats it !!! (blunt , I know ... but it's late)...... does this help ... ???

#2 . Yes ..... PM Deano & Mikablog ... they are our admin. caretakers .... & will enlighten us further ...

#3 .Yes ... a link FROM the FAQ ..... May be titled 'the Sexuality thread' ... I really don't mind ... my main thing is that it IS a link from FAQ .... rather than another one of twenty threads re: 'Is Mika Gay' .......