Concert Feedback for Mika - please be constructive

zoots14

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

NOW you might all jump on me but I really want him to do away with shooting the bunny. That's the only bit I really really dislike. I don't see the point...

Actually the whole costume bit at the end I am not so fond of.

I believe he doesn't need gimmicks any more, we all love him whatever he does, and I think it would be great is he was just himself right to the very end.

And the shirt off drumming bit...well after watching it on youtube and dying a thousand times, and really looking forward to it, he didn't do it in Tokyo. Whether it was because he thought he'd offend Asian sensibilities I don't know, but we had all watched him do it before and were DYING to see it live. Before he started he put his white jacket on, and then when it got going he tore off the jacket, but shirt stayed fixed. Quite disappointing.

Actually LT was not as good as usual in the Tokyo show, as you may recall he fell onto Cherisse off the drum kit, half killed her, hurt his wrist and lost one drumstick, so he did a one-handed trash can bash (with clothes on) so a bit disappointing all round.

NOW you might all jump on me but I really want him to do away with shooting the bunny. That's the only bit I really really dislike. I don't see the point...

I believe he doesn't need gimmicks any more, we all love him whatever he does, and I think it would be great is he was just himself right to the very end.

I kind of agree with you about the shooting thing. I think that is a bit unecessary, and if you think about it, other artists might well get into trouble about that; but because Mika isn't a gangsta rapper, it seems to have gone unchallenged.

However my own opinion is that a little bit of gimmickry (is that a word?:boxed: ) is okay, because it's what gives Mika a certain identity and sets him apart, but as long as it never totally dominates his shows. He is much more alluring and appealing when he is just himself :wub2:

positive :

- the energy he puts into the shows

- Love Today musically, just the way it is, all of it

- Missionary Man

- You've got the Love was cool at Somerset House, never got to hear it again

- their clothes are cool now, colourful, etc. little kuddos for cherisse and her glitter tops !

- the Royal Sympathy Band welcoming us in Shepherd's Bush was cool too

negative : :naughty:

- keep your shirt on during LT finale, i need to hear the music, not hysterical fans screaming to death :mf_rosetinted:

- not enough interaction with the audience : talk to us, take your time

- come before 1 hour after the support, you diva :mf_rosetinted:

- NEVER EVER sing I Want You Back again :sneaky2:

i think that's all... hey, the balance good/bad is respected !! i'm proud of me :naughty::mf_rosetinted:

as for the explanations :

- i think he sings the songs one afer the other that way to keep people under pressure, it's like when you don't have the time to breathe bewtween songs, in the end you're just bursting in excitement... so i'm not sure he's gonna change that until he has more than a 1 hour set...

- lollipop girls giving lollipops in the audience at the beginning is never gonna happen again... unless it's in a festival or open air thing, but even though... it would be way too dangerouse given the size of the venues now ! and i'm not sure i want to see a lollipop girls act on stage in-between the support and mika :blink: ...

suzy... at first i loves the picnic thing... i still think its kinda funny :) but after seeing it few times... i wouldnt mind seeing something ellse ...

tho i love the lollipop song and the conffeti... wouldnt change that! EVER! lol so much fun going out from the venue covered with conffeti.... tasting it.... YUM! ;)

Yes, I should have said, I'm pretty much over the whole Teddy Bears Picnic

thing. Wouldn't miss it if it were to go.

But the confetti! Yes! It's so much fun -- especially if you're standing

right next to the canon when it blasts all the bits of paper into the

air! And it makes for the most

colorful photos and happiest memories! :thumb_yello:

dcdeb

And the shirt off drumming bit...well after watching it on youtube and dying a thousand times, and really looking forward to it, he didn't do it in Tokyo. Whether it was because he thought he'd offend Asian sensibilities I don't know, but we had all watched him do it before and were DYING to see it live. Before he started he put his white jacket on, and then when it got going he tore off the jacket, but shirt stayed fixed. Quite disappointing.

Actually LT was not as good as usual in the Tokyo show, as you may recall he fell onto Cherisse off the drum kit, half killed her, hurt his wrist and lost one drumstick, so he did a one-handed trash can bash (with clothes on) so a bit disappointing all round.

About the bunny story - I have to be honest, I don't think I will die or start crying if he will skip it at any point. But still I find the costumes quite funny, along with the confetti and the balloons. I mean that IS how he has build up 'Lollipop' to be not only a song but ...I'd almost say an attitude. And I'd even say this IS Mika 'just himself'. I would not want to see a big change in the whole concept as far as the feel-good factor is concerned.

As for the other 'gimmicks'. I'm in love with Grey Skelly and I would suffer big time from the loss if they decided to leave him out. *sniff*

And the shirt... well, it's just a shirt, isn't it? I wouldn't find myself anywhere near disappointment if he kept it on. It wouldn't make him any more adorable than he already is 'just himself' :wink2:

Ehm... ok. I guess everything I would like to say has already been said.

1) I second what Jack and others said (I mention Jack because she was the first on the first page in whose post I read it) - as I already said to Sara after Brixton, I'd love it if Mika did a bit more banter (ha! just learned a new word!) with the audience. Robbie Williams is DAMN GOOD at that. I love the way he does it. This is, of course never really interesting for those NOT being first row if there are no big screens (:sneaky2:) but it would be funny :thumb_yello:

2) as I said: BIG SCREENS. PLEASE!

3) Please keep the costumes on; don't change that part of the show! :shocked: And the confetti-part is THE BEST thing ever. It really is. Standing there, looking up and seeing the air filled with confetti, balloons and then the colourful costumes on stage - this the ABSOLUTELY best part of the show.

4) For me, there is absolutely no need to undress for Love Today. Keep your shirt on. This doesn't mean that seeing you topless is a bad thing. I just cannot enjoy it as much as I might enjoy it otherwise when I know that there are 5,000 people staring at you in this very moment, taking pictures, filming it and then putting it on YouTube or posting it in specific threads here.

I didn't really like the drumming part before (because I still don't get WHY it is done) but since Cherisse takes part, it's great!

5) And please sing "I Want You Back" in London!!! Awww... :wub2:

6) Handing out lollipops would be great!

7) Why a second Relax as encore? Encores are great (please please more!) but why not something else? There are loads of other songs that have also been released somewhere like Instant Martyr or The Only Lonely One (Cherisse would do a great job here). Or Ain't got no Life. Wow. :punk:

8) Be careful when you dance on the drums. It's like watching ice-skating - you never know what will happen :boxed:

9) You've got a wonderful backing singer - why not sing another duett?

10) The merchandise is a BIT expensive :sneaky2:

This may be controversial :shocked: but I think he should drop Happy Ending. For me it just does not work live. Don't shoot me :blink:

Finally, Mika, your falsetto is much much better when you are standing STILL. Jumping up and down and simultaneously trying to nail a top G doesn't always work.

I think Happy Ending could be improved if he just took your advice and stood still and slowed down. As someone suggested he also needs a choir or at least a couple of additional backup singers too.

And yet so far he's been doing the right things - whether intuitionally or meticulously contived :wink2:

Yeah it's funny it doesn't matter to me what motivates him. He just knows what he's doing and that's impressive in and of itself. Especially when he's going against the instincts of people who've been in the music business since before he was born and it still works.

Yes! yesyesyesyesyesyes!!!

I couldn't breathe when that happended!

it's this moment:

You took that picture? Nice! :thumb_yello:

Another favourite is the way he performs Happy Ending live. I love the way he variates the notes that he holds (you know what I mean) instead of holding the same note ( the way it is recorded) and when he sings Love, love love love.........

I always liked Happy Ending but I love the live version. Am a bit obsessed with it, and hearing him dedicate it to the little boy who died has just added more poignancy to it.

I was never crazy about Happy Ending but I got a "little bit of love" directed at me so I'm really biased now. :wub2:

I think it was Any Other World where he did an unexpected note variation at Brixton and I thought ooooh nice! The ballads on the album are too overproduced IMO and they have a lot more passion when he's singing live.

I really wondered what people who were at the back of the Brussels venue (7000 people) could actually see from where they stood.

Is that the norm for venues that size? The arena in Montreal is already equipped with screens so I'm sure he'll use them.

I was fully in Jack's corner on this one for months. Please don't take the shirt off! But since he started doing it he's gained a good 15 or 20 lbs and his energy level has accelerated since the European tour began so I started to change my mind.

Even when he was ill in Brixton and you got the sense he was kind of dragging himself through the first half of the show he seemed to get such an adrenaline rush during Love Today he was running around like crazy.

I thought for a minute he wasn't going to take his shirt off because he was sick and I couldn't see what was happening when he left the front of the stage...but when he came back it was all good. :naughty:

I wouldn't freak out if he decided to keep it on in the future, but I'm glad I got to see it once. It's just a part of that whole extended Love Today thing.

- lollipop girls giving lollipops in the audience at the beginning is never gonna happen again... unless it's in a festival or open air thing, but even though... it would be way too dangerouse given the size of the venues now ! and i'm not sure i want to see a lollipop girls act on stage in-between the support and mika :blink: ...

I think he's very close to dropping the lollipop girls altogether and they will almost certainly be gone once he tours with a new album.

- keep your shirt on during LT finale, i need to hear the music, not hysterical fans screaming to death :mf_rosetinted:

Yes, that!

Still... I see a poll coming :naughty:

- NEVER EVER sing I Want You Back again :sneaky2:

NOOOOO NOOOOOOOOO! Don't listen to her!!! Donnnn'ttt!! :shocked::thumbdown:

OK, here is some feedback, based on the DVD only (because as I said, I have already missed 2 concerts due to cancelling..:sneaky2: )

I love the Love Today intro, provided he hits the notes :naughty: which he usually does!! I agree that it's a spine tingling moment.

I agree

Tin bin drumming - good, I think that's a unique Mika thing.

yeah, Mika rocks

This may be controversial but I think he should drop Happy Ending. For me it just does not work live. Don't shoot me

I think that song needs to be built up live, as follows:

1., when you start, sit down by the piano (perhaps play a little intro, so that you definitely 'catch' the start and not just start singing out of the blue..:wink2:

2., use crescendo - not necessarily with your voice, but by adding instruments and voices gradually:cool:

3., no need for back up singer. You need a gospel choir for that one, darling...:mf_rosetinted: ... Obviously, you cannot carry a full gospel choir with you for the tour, so you can actually give that song a rest so that you can perform it with a climax at a special occasion / for bigger audiences (not for 1000-3000people)..:mf_rosetinted:

Finally, Mika, your falsetto is much much better when you are standing STILL. Jumping up and down and simultaneously trying to nail a top G doesn't always work.

so true.. take more time to refresh your batteries during the show...:mf_rosetinted:

I would LOVE to hear Instant Martyr as an encore...

And I just want to reiterate that I like the trashcan drumming and the energy, I just think it can be done just as well in a t-shirt. Yop's comment on the matter was gold. Whether or not it comes across as cheap or natural for Mika to strip at that point, all the squealing and flash-photo-taking and hormonal hysteria that ensues definitely cheapens it for me as an audience member.

I think I just don't like the super-high notes in general, whether in the Relax intro or in Love Today, but eh, if the rest of you love them I'll deal.

Sometime it would be fun to hear a more disco-pop version of Love today that's closer to the album. Even though I think I do like the live version more.

--Jack

I think Happy Ending could be improved if he just took your advice and stood still and slowed down.

(....)

I think it was Any Other World where he did an unexpected note variation at Brixton and I thought ooooh nice! The ballads on the album are too overproduced IMO and they have a lot more passion when he's singing live.

I think the live version of Any Other World is far, far superior to the album version. The album version is so overproduced, but stripped back live, it shows off the lovely melody AND Mika's voice to perfection, in my humble opinion.

I'd even be in favour of a really stripped back Happy Ending, just Mika and piano. Rather than trying to reproduce all the harmonies and the choir and the orchestration (even though I do love it on the album).

I think he's very close to dropping the lollipop girls altogether and they will almost certainly be gone once he tours with a new album.

I wouldn't miss the Lollipop girls. Or the Big Girls, really. I don't hate them, I just think they have had their day.

but... i don't get it... honestly... have you ever heard and LOVED I Want You Back from the Jackson 5 to love the way mika used to do it ?? as a "fan" (shortcut) of the Jackson 5, i think Mr M butchers the song... i looks like nothing, and is painful to my hear (not exagerating at all, sadly... i was suffering the 2 times i heard it live)...

anyway... i think he's over it now, he found something else to do, not sure he's gonna sing it back :thumb_yello::naughty:

And christine, i agree with you : i don't think lollipop girls and big girls will be part of the 2nd album tour, even if he sings the songs... or just on stage, the time of the songs... not even sure...

3., no need for back up singer. You need a gospel choir for that one, darling... ... Obviously, you cannot carry a full gospel choir with you for the tour, so you can actually give that song a rest so that you can perform it with a climax at a special occasion / for bigger audiences (not for 1000-3000people)..

Nooo. :no:

...and please, don't be so repetitive regarding the speaking parts..like "uh last time the audience was 1000 now is 10000.." "they refuse to play Billy Brown" "THIS IS A NEW SONG" AAHHAAARRR!!!!:roftl::roftl::roftl:

Mwaahahhahaha! :naughty::roftl::thumb_yello:

...and please, don't be so repetitive regarding the speaking parts..like "uh last time the audience was 1000 now is 10000.." "they refuse to play Billy Brown" "THIS IS A NEW SONG" AAHHAAARRR!!!!:roftl::roftl::roftl:

*cough* that would have been my point number 11 but i didnt dare writing it because the poor guy cannot think of 25 different things to say before BB for instance. but that "new song" part... :roftl:

well, however, we need to keep in mind that there are 5,000 people there and not all of them are here on the MFC. i mean - we experienced it ourselves with Long. He came from CANADA to London and wasn't on MFC. Wow. Which doesnt mean that you have to be here to be mental enough to go to other continents to see 1,5 hours of Mika - it's just... it's just strange.

What I want to say: there are enough people that don't indulge in YouTube or Live Bootlegs or MFC-discussions and for them everything Mika says is probably new. :blink:

:roftl: I get you, but remember that not everyone who goes to his shows watches 2,000 Youtube videos of his other shows every day of their lives. Like we do :naughty: . Well some of us *cough*.

Edit: gah Petra you beat me to it :naughty:

but... i don't get it... honestly... have you ever heard and LOVED I Want You Back from the Jackson 5 to love the way mika used to do it ?? as a "fan" (shortcut) of the Jackson 5, i think Mr M butchers the song... i looks like nothing, and is painful to my hear (not exagerating at all, sadly... i was suffering the 2 times i heard it live)...

anyway... i think he's over it now, he found something else to do, not sure he's gonna sing it back :thumb_yello::naughty:

And christine, i agree with you : i don't think lollipop girls and big girls will be part of the 2nd album tour, even if he sings the songs... or just on stage, the time of the songs... not even sure...

About I Want You Back I have to agree that we won't live to see him perform that one again, there's quite a lot of other stuff to choose from for him, plus, soon enough he probably won't do any covers anymore, who knows?

Still I can't deny I liked his version, it's just a different interpretation and it might be sort of difficult for him to sound like an eight year old :naughty:

And I just realize that I'm craving for a new album. :wub2:

*cough* that would have been my point number 11 but i didnt dare writing it because the poor guy cannot think of 25 different things to say before BB for instance. but that "new song" part... :roftl:

He can keep it as a running gag for us :mf_rosetinted:

1., when you start, sit down by the piano (perhaps play a little intro, so that you definitely 'catch' the start and not just start singing out of the blue..:wink2:

I agree and it reminds me of another thing I've been hoping for for almost a year. Please use a piano!!! That keyboard just isn't cutting it for me.

well, however, we need to keep in mind that there are 5,000 people there and not all of them are here on the MFC. i mean - we experienced it ourselves with Long. He came from CANADA to London and wasn't on MFC. Wow.

And he didn't even get to see the show! Poor Long. :boxed:

You're right about MFC not speaking for Mika's fans in general. I think we have to keep that in mind when we're talking about intimate shows versus what works in large venues because he has to please upwards of 10,000 people now and not just a couple of dozen MFCers in the front row who've seen the show 10 times already.

But I think there are some good ideas here even generally speaking especially when it comes to the music.

I agree and it reminds me of another thing I've been hoping for for almost a year. Please use a piano!!! That keyboard just isn't cutting it for me.

Yes!! A real piano would be great. I don't care about the logistics -sort it, Mika :mf_rosetinted:

I hate it when you can't even hear his keyboard (and thus his playing ability) when it is drowned out by the other instruments. It seems almost pointless him sitting there playing if it can't be heard!!

Yes!! A real piano would be great. I don't care about the logistics -sort it, Mika :mf_rosetinted:

If he can sort out the logistics of costume rentals, confetti canons, bubble machines and street performers he can sort out a piano in a concert hall. Seriously, have some priorities here!!

I hate it when you can't even hear his keyboard (and thus his playing ability) when it is drowned out by the other instruments. It seems almost pointless him sitting there playing if it can't be heard!!

that reminds me that i've always wondered WHY he was actually sitting there when the music doesnt change at all when he waves with one hand or holds the mic with both hands into the direction of the audience :blink: