Concert Feedback for Mika - please be constructive

zoots14

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes!! A real piano would be great. I don't care about the logistics -sort it, Mika :mf_rosetinted:

I hate it when you can't even hear his keyboard (and thus his playing ability) when it is drowned out by the other instruments. It seems almost pointless him sitting there playing if it can't be heard!!

yes, and that also relates to the fact that from the second half of this year he will probably be playing at bigger venues so all musical arrangements will need to be sorted out, including the guitar in the bridge of Grace Kelly...

I know you will all jump in defense of Martin, but still I think it's too weak...

yes, and that also relates to the fact that from the second half of this year he will probably be playing at bigger venues so all musical arrangements will need to be sorted out, including the guitar in the bridge of Grace Kelly...

I know you will all jump in defense of Martin, but still I think it's too weak...

:shocked:

EN GARDE!!!

:mf_swordfight:

seriously, how can you say that before attending a live gig?

:shocked:

EN GARDE!!!

:mf_swordfight:

seriously, how can you say that before attending a live gig?

Well, I have seen a lot of live versions of GK on Youtube and also have the DVD. My ears crave something more unique and louder...

:cool:

I agree that Mika needs a real piano. When I saw him back in June I said to my sister at the concert that I couldn't wait until he had a real one. Hopefully one day....

Also I would really like it if he let himself loose in terms of talking to the audience. I am sure the more he tours, the more he will become comfortable in talking to us.

No, I agree with you. Martin's input could be bolder, if that's the right word. I'm not criticising his skill, just the way he is used..

It sounds like nitpicking and it probably is, but if we are in this thread to offer critical appraisal...I also think that the 'mix' of the instruments needs some adjusting and certain things need to be brought to the fore if he is going to achieve a 'bigger' sound that will do justice to an arena setting.

I don't mean he has to go all out for the Kasabian effect :naughty: but I do feel the sound needs some filling out. He's already achieved that to a certain degree with Sara as a strong backing voice; maybe the other instrumentation needs bolstering too.

He could still do great acoustic stuff within the set, to balance it out.

Also I would really like it if he let himself loose in terms of talking to the audience. I am sure the more he tours, the more he will become comfortable in talking to us.

He seemed pretty loose in Toronto in March. I think maybe it's the scale of these largers shows that has him running a tight ship and maybe not improvising as much...?

I really didn't know it was a problem. He didn't talk much in Brixton but he was ill so I didn't expect he would.

Guess we'll see what happens on Tuesday. Things will be pretty casual in Toronto compared to Montreal so maybe he'll be more chatty.

It sounds like nitpicking and it probably is, but if we are in this thread to offer critical appraisal...I also think that the 'mix' of the instruments needs some adjusting and certain things need to be brought to the fore if he is going to achieve a 'bigger' sound that will do justice to an arena setting.

Maybe that's what all the rehearsals are about and it's not really changes to the setlist.

But the 'sound' you get on youtube is not anywhere near to what you get live on spot :blink:

OK, I should have only mentioned the DVD and live tv shows like the MTV awards....

I know what I want to hear because Mika created that expectation with the album version. He wrote GK in a way that makes me expect a melodic guitar bridge live, too.

I think it is the type of song that can be turned into a realy huge sounding anthem - but that requires a well-defined guitar sound in the bridge, not just a few random notes. I am not saying that Martin is not doing the best he can but perhaps Mika should sit down with him and work out what sound should come out of that guitar...:cool:

Hahah, I actually want less overpowering instrumentation rather than more. I want to see (and hear) MIKA, not a symphony orchestra musical vaudeville!

About piano--I also thought it'd look nicer, but then I considered that he might use the keyboard because it is so slight. He'd be harder to see with a full piano. With the keyboard, he can play it and we can still see him from all angles, and he can move around a lot, etc.

I also think it doesn't matter that much to him if we can hear it distinctly, since he plays it

a) to show that he can play and not just sing

b) to get more involved in the instrumental part of the show

c) as an excuse to sit down and get a rest from all the jumping

not so much because he needs to prove he's a piano prodigy.

Also, Christine--I realize the lollipop girls and big girls will probably be specific only to his LiCM period, but I hope he keeps some of the whimsy and costumes, etc. I don't care if it's new characters--I just think if he's gonna take an hour setting up the stage after the opening act, it'd be nice to have some distraction from the wait, and something to build our excitement even more.

--Jack

Mika has said several times in interviews that he values the immediate feedback that the internet has provided him. He was able to get off the ground by promoting himself online, and able to see what was working or not working by the reactions he was getting (probably from many of you who have been there since the start!).

I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread that provides him with more of that constructive feedback in one spot... hoping that either he still comes here occasionally, or that people who are close to him do.

This is meant to be a thread for likes/dislikes of things you've seen in his concerts, or suggestions you have for upcoming shows.

It's a basic assumtion that we all LOVE and ADORE Mika, so I hope he won't take any of this feedback negatively... I'm sure the majority of comments will be positive anyway, but I don't think it's a bad thing to let him know if there's something in particular that doesn't really do it for you.

There are also plenty of other threads that have lots of room for general "he's so hot" type of comments, so that's not really my intention here.

I'm thinking more along the lines of "I thought it was great when he and Mikey did...." or "I loved it when ___ happened and I wished he did more of that".

I'll start.

There are three things that come to mind...

1) I've said this in the Canadian thread... I am REALLY hoping he adds "I've Got Life" to his playlist. I'll find out next week!

2) I know I'm going to get some flak (sp?) for this because I know how many people love it, but I think the naked trash can drumming is kind of cheesy. (Sorry Mika... I do still love you!) It just comes across as too contrived and obvious to me... sort of pandering to a certain part of his audience.

3) I'm not to fond of the way he stretches out the beginning of Love Today in concert... I prefer it the way it was recorded.

That said... again... if you're reading this Mika, I absolutely love you! Your concerts are just so far above and beyond on the performance level. You've obviously put so much thought and heart into every single moment, and it is really appreciated.

Edit: Just one last thing. I recognize that this has only been his first year of touring, and he has done a phenomenal job - much better than many bands that have been performing for years. This is in no way meant to take away from that. Everything evolves... and we're all hoping to see him again at more concerts in the future, with a 2nd and 3rd CD and so on. So, this is in the hopes that he would want and/or appreciate the feedback, because he seems like the kind of person who truly wants to push himself and continually improve & grow. I'm really looking forward to seeing what else he has in store for us!

I agree about the trash can drumming with his shirt off. Mika doesn't need to undress, to look, and be sexy. Sexiness is far better, and hotter, if there is some mystery about it.

I haven't seen Mika live yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing him on the 28th feb. The only other suggestion I have, isn't about the concerts, but about future single releases.

Mika you have a gorgeous lower register to your voice, so don't just concentrate on the songs with falsetto parts. Please release a lovely ballad now and again. I absolutely love My Interpretation, and in a way, I wish you'd released that one instead of Relax. I also love the gorgeous songs, Your Sympathy and Erase.

Love today, from Marilyn

I want to see (and hear) MIKA, not a symphony orchestra musical vaudeville!

--Jack

Heaven forbid!! That's definitely not what I was imagining when I said a bolder sound :naughty:

I too still want to hear Mika's voice as the main focus, as it is on the album, and should always be IMO.

Hahah, I actually want less overpowering instrumentation rather than more. I want to see (and hear) MIKA, not a symphony orchestra musical vaudeville!

:blink:

I don't think anyone meant symphony orchestra, except for VH1's MIKA Unplugged show...coming soon..:naughty:

Have you happened to watch Live Earth? I don't know if any of you actually noticed that most young acts failed to fill the stadium with sound and they sounded really really weak... Only Metallica could rock the stadium :punk: and I don't think that was simply because of the amplifiers they used...:cool:

About piano--I also thought it'd look nicer, but then I considered that he might use the keyboard because it is so slight. He'd be harder to see with a full piano. With the keyboard, he can play it and we can still see him from all angles, and he can move around a lot, etc.

There is a significant difference between playing the piano or just using keyboards... It' requires a different technique as well and Mika's songs are for the piano....

But I think we all meant these changes to be applied at bigger shows since we don't want his expenses up even more...:naughty:

Poor boy is not breaking even with the tour...

I think the most obvious thing he needs to do is to play at larger places..

I agree about the trash can drumming with his shirt off. Mika doesn't need to undress, to look, and be sexy. Sexiness is far better, and hotter, if there is some mystery about it.

I haven't seen Mika live yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing him on the 28th feb. The only other suggestion I have, isn't about the concerts, but about future single releases.

Mika you have a gorgeous lower register to your voice, so don't just concentrate on the songs with falsetto parts. Please release a lovely ballad now and again. I absolutely love My Interpretation, and in a way, I wish you'd released that one instead of Relax. I also love the gorgeous songs, Your Sympathy and Erase.

Love today, from Marilyn

Oh! I guess I'll see you on the 28th then! :punk:

I listened to Erase an hour ago or so and I really don't understand why this song was limited to the Canadian CD (it was Canada, right?). It is such a wonderful, gorgeous piece of music! It is hard to decide which songs should be / should have been released as singles because LiCM is, after all, a Best Of-Record.

Mika you have a gorgeous lower register to your voice, so don't just concentrate on the songs with falsetto parts.

I approve of this post!!!!!:wink2:

Mika, you have a lovely baritone voice as well that needs to be explored a bit more...:wink2:

Think of Holy Johnny and the range you show us in that one...:thumb_yello:

Oh! I guess I'll see you on the 28th then! :punk:

I listened to Erase an hour ago or so and I really don't understand why this song was limited to the Canadian CD (it was Canada, right?). It is such a wonderful, gorgeous piece of music! It is hard to decide which songs should be / should have been released as singles because LiCM is, after all, a Best Of-Record.

YES, OKAY, SEE YOU ON THE 28TH FEB. I AGREE THAT LICM IS LIKE A BAG OF FAVOURITE SWEETS, LIKE THE PURPLE ONES IN THE CADBURYS ROSES BOXES OF CHOCOLATES. EVERY SONG IS A MASTERPIECE!!

Love today again, from Marilyn

I approve this post!!!!!:wink2:

Mika, you have a lovely baritone voice as well that needs to be explored a bit more...:wink2:

Think of Holy Johnny and the range you show us in that one...:thumb_yello:

I feel sure he will concentrate on his lower register more from now on, if only because he'll have to to preserve his voice in order to keep touring. I hope he never lets the falsetto go completely though as it is his trademark!

I think the way he can 'flip' up an octave into his falsetto, then back down again, is a really outstanding feature of his voice too, and should be explored more.

I feel sure he will concentrate on his lower register more from now on, if only because he'll have to to preserve his voice in order to keep touring.

Yes, I am sure he willl... didn't he mention on the DVD that perhaps he should be talking on the 2nd album so that it is easier to reproduce at concerts....

I hope he never lets the falsetto go completely though as it is his trademark! .

...yes, he should keep exploring it, as you said, because he will probably lose this range in 10 years' time or so...

I am not an expert but I don't think you can sing those high notes forever if you are a guy unless you are ...(:naughty: )..but he is not.

Oh heck. I NEED a new album. Just feeding me with bits like Aint got no life doesnt work on the long run. AAAHHH!!!!

I don't want to destroy your hopes but I don't think Ain't got no life will feature on the new album... perhaps as B side to singles but not on the album.. That was just a Xmas treat to fans (thanks for it , btw)

I don't want to destroy your hopes but I don't think Ain't got no life will feature on the new album... perhaps as B side to singles but not on the album.. That was just a Xmas treat to fans (thanks for it , btw)

:blink: oh, i never thought that AGNL would make it to the album! i just meant that i have been listening to the rest for a whole year now and i'm not really listening to any other music and it is, SORRY, getting a bit boring once you even know the different live versions by heart. once you can say whether this SiTM was sung in Berlin, Milan, Paris or the Oxegen Festival... :boxed:

oh, i never thought that AGNL would make it to the album! i just meant that i have been listening to the rest for a whole year now and i'm not really listening to any other music and it is, SORRY, getting a bit boring once you even know the different live versions by heart. once you can say whether this SiTM was sung in Berlin, Milan, Paris or the Oxegen Festival... :boxed:

:roftl: :roftl: :roftl: haha, indeed!

You start questioning yourself when you reach that point... and then ... you just listen one more time :naughty:

2) I know I'm going to get some flak (sp?) for this because I know how many people love it, but I think the naked trash can drumming is kind of cheesy. (Sorry Mika... I do still love you!) It just comes across as too contrived and obvious to me... sort of pandering to a certain part of his audience.

3) I'm not to fond of the way he stretches out the beginning of Love Today in concert... I prefer it the way it was recorded.

I agree with both of those...especially number three. I may be the only one on here that thinks this but that high note he uses really hurts my ears and I don't think it sounds good. I also think the banging on the trash can is a little pointless.

I upset that I can't see Mika this time around not just because the obvious reason of it's a Mika concert, but I was looking forward to seeing the changes. I don't watch too many Youtube clips (actually I don't even know what his European shows were like at all).

I agree with both of those...especially number three. I may be the only one on here that thinks this but that high note he uses really hurts my ears and I don't think it sounds good. I also think the banging on the trash can is a little pointless.

I upset that I can't see Mika this time around not just because the obvious reason of it's a Mika concert, but I was looking forward to seeing the changes. I don't watch too many Youtube clips (actually I don't even know what his European shows were like at all).

That really surprises me! I love the way he begins LT, infact when i listen to the album on CD I miss it! But everyone's different I guess.

I sort of understand about the drumming part, but I love to see Mika and Cherisse (sp?) going for it, always makes me smile and I'm a bit of a sucker for a shirtless Mika! :wub2: