Concert Feedback for Mika - please be constructive

zoots14

ah! completely did not realize that was a cover!!! thanks for the info

i'm glad 'how much' is going to be on the album, i enjoyed that one at the show.

not really sure about holy johnny.. wasn't crazy about it when i saw it in concert but i maybe i just need to listen to it again

come to think of it, it reminds me of something in the vein of rocky raccoon (by the beatles)

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wouldn't be so sad if he didn't do the following:

- the whole "teddy bear picnic" thing

- the skeleton theme

(Sorry...I just doesn't do anything for me - and I know a lot of you love this stuff)

Would love to see:

- Zuleika Allegra (his sister) to sing "Happy Ending" with him again

- Michael Jackson covers

- Royal Sympathy Band theme

- Circus/Ring Master theme

- masks and a tuxedo :wub2:

nice points everyone :thumb_yello:

when i go to mika concerts im just :shocked: and forget about EVERYTHING ELLSE! (except the brixton show that all i could think about was the ppl pushing me behind...waaaa it sucked).

would love to see him do a new song cover or ofcourse one of his songs from the next album :thumb_yello:

i love the love today and the trash can... its so much fun :)

after he did that in the begining without cherisse i thought to myself how cool it would be to do it with him! lol and than later on cherisse did... so its cool :)

i wonder if the show will be different than the last european tour... hmm i would love that cause allready saw it but i know many of u didnt yet...

so i dont mind ;)

Wouldn't be so sad if he didn't do the following:

- the whole "teddy bear picnic" thing

- the skeleton theme

(Sorry...I just doesn't do anything for me - and I know a lot of you love this stuff)

Would love to see:

- Zuleika Allegra (his sister) to sing "Happy Ending" with him again

- Michael Jackson covers

- Royal Sympathy Band theme

- Circus/Ring Master theme

- masks and a tuxedo :wub2:

suzy... at first i loves the picnic thing... i still think its kinda funny :) but after seeing it few times... i wouldnt mind seeing something ellse ...

tho i love the lollipop song and the conffeti... wouldnt change that! EVER! lol so much fun going out from the venue covered with conffeti.... tasting it.... YUM! ;)

You might change your mind on this and any other ideas you have about his concerts when you experience it first hand. Love Today is the highlight of the show no matter what you think about the cheesy trash can drumming (that's pandering to the entire audience BTW, not just a portion :naughty:) or the variation from the recording.

His energy levels are insane during this number. The audience feeds off his energy and he feeds off theirs. The extended portion at the beginning is part of the buildup and personally I love it. The moment the a capella stops and the music kicks in my heart skips a beat because you can feel what's coming.

The only other moment in the show that compares is when he comes out of the shadows after the first verse of Relax and lunges towards the front of the stage.

I totally agree with you:punk:

Love Today is my favourite Mika song:mf_lustslow: . I never thought I was going to like it even more until I heard it live on a concert. The beginning of Love Today on a concert version gives me shivers down my spine. Even now:wub2: when I am thinking about it. I LOVE LOVE every second of it. MIka is absolutely fabulous and the entire audience is eating from his hands. I hope I make sense:wink2: Nothing compares to it.

I mean, generally speaking I think Mika is even better live than on the LICM, therefore, I am happy he recorded a concert dvd:punk:

The only other moment in the show that compares is when he comes out of the shadows after the first verse of Relax and lunges towards the front of the stage.

Yes! yesyesyesyesyesyes!!!

I couldn't breathe when that happended!

it's this moment:

post-4361-142983673836_thumb.jpg

You might change your mind on this and any other ideas you have about his concerts when you experience it first hand. Love Today is the highlight of the show no matter what you think about the cheesy trash can drumming (that's pandering to the entire audience BTW, not just a portion :naughty:) or the variation from the recording.

His energy levels are insane during this number. The audience feeds off his energy and he feeds off theirs. The extended portion at the beginning is part of the buildup and personally I love it. The moment the a capella stops and the music kicks in my heart skips a beat because you can feel what's coming.

I agree with everything you have said Christine, but the bit I have highlighted is one of my favourites (especially if you are standing front middle of the stage :naughty:).

Another favourite is the way he performs Happy Ending live. I love the way he variates the notes that he holds (you know what I mean) instead of holding the same note ( the way it is recorded) and when he sings Love, love love love.........

I always liked Happy Ending but I love the live version. Am a bit obsessed with it, and hearing him dedicate it to the little boy who died has just added more poignancy to it.

2) I know I'm going to get some flak (sp?) for this because I know how many people love it, but I think the naked trash can drumming is kind of cheesy. (Sorry Mika... I do still love you!) It just comes across as too contrived and obvious to me... sort of pandering to a certain part of his audience.

You know I thought the exact same thing before I had seen it live on spot. I found it kinda ridiculous and was wondering if he really thought he was in need of getting rid of his shirt (which I still think he isn't, lol, but that's a different story). The whole dustbin thing came across very strange on all the youtube videos and I couldn't get how everyone got so excited about it.

But then I've experienced it from quite close to the stage and changed my mind within a second :wink2: I just thought 'Gosh, he really knows what he's doing' :shocked: Maybe you will think the same after having seen it 'for real' :naughty:

3) I'm not to fond of the way he stretches out the beginning of Love Today in concert... I prefer it the way it was recorded.

The beginning of LT is in fact one of my very very very favourite moments at his gigs. NOT TO BE SKIPPED! EVER :sneaky2:

I love the whole of Love Today, from the intro, which sends shivers down my spine, right through to the end with the trashcan drumming, which is my favourite bit as it gets Cherisse out from behind the drumkit, and I love the playacting between her and Mika, it's funny. I'm glad I was at Plymouth to see her get him back.

I would however like to see him get a choir in for Happy Ending. It is good with him and Sara/Lorna/Allegra singing it, but it would so much better with a full choir, like on the album.

I like the idea of the banter, it doesn't matter how many albums you bring out, there is always time. I saw the Stereophonics last year and Kelly Jones, their singer, is hilarious. He was constantly joking around with the audience.

And I suspect that when the next album comes out there won't be any covers at the concerts, which won't be such a bad thing, as I would rather hear his own material. Don't get me wrong I like Sweet Dreams, Missionary Man and You've Got The Love, especially the latter, but I can't wait 'til it's a whole show of just his music.

Well, I have yet to see him in concert (and will have a bit of a wait anyway since i have no idea when/if he is coming to Aus this year) but I would really love to hear some of the songs included with the singles like Only Lonely One and Instant martyr. Maybe they're not very concerty songs but i love them!!!

I love the Love Today intro, provided he hits the notes :naughty: which he usually does!! I agree that it's a spine tingling moment.

Tin bin drumming - good, but with his clothes on. :wink2: And I do like it when he jumps on the drumkit, I think that's a unique Mika thing.

I would rather see him do all his own songs rather than covers, even if they are just 'demos' ie not songs he is intending to release. I'm sure he could make even his 'second string' songs come across brilliantly live.

This may be controversial :shocked: but I think he should drop Happy Ending. For me it just does not work live. Don't shoot me :blink:

Finally, Mika, your falsetto is much much better when you are standing STILL. Jumping up and down and simultaneously trying to nail a top G doesn't always work.

I feel as if I've been more critical than praising there...but I can only echo what others have said, that he is amazing live and the energy and charisma that comes off him is stunning. His enthusiasm, raw talent and audience rapport make up for any little faults! :wub2:

suzy... i love the lollipop song and the conffeti... wouldnt change that! EVER! lol so much fun going out from the venue covered with conffeti.... tasting it.... YUM! ;)

he must NEVER stop the confetti, balloons and lollipop stuff, I adore that part of the show cos although it means it's coming to an end, it's like pretty crazy anyway then the cannons go off at a certain point in the music and it's like a crescendo moment when it all goes MEGA crazy, you look up.... all you see is a rainbow swirling about in front of your eyes, your heart goes PIIIING the excitement is awesome, it makes me feel like a kid again, I love it its sooo much fun.

This is a very good idea for a thread!

I agree with your 2nd and 3rd points. Actually, I really loved hearing him sing "I've Got Life" too.

Mine:

1. I wish he did more audience-banter at concerts (when he isn't deathly ill), and that it would be a bit less repetitive.

--Jack

What does banter mean?

When I first saw the utube vids of him getting his shirt off in LT I thought OH NO!! what's he doing that for, I thought it was unnecessary, then I saw it live and at the front of the stage 4 times....that soon changed my mind, it's electric, he expels so much energy that it doesn't feel wrong of him to remove his shirt at all for that part of the song, he needs to move freely and it works.

I am a lover of his OWN material too but if I had to choose between Missionary Man or Sweet Dreams then it would be Sweet Dreams.

I think Mika has to just do what he wants to do because there is no way he is going to please every single one of us all of the time. I guess the only way he could get any true feedback is when it's more a huge majority feeling the same way.

It means an awful lot to me and probs all of you when he makes a gig more personal to the audience or when he does something memorable than usual in it, like when he put our Quilt on the drum stand (a reference to it would have been great too, but just seeing HIS reaction to OUR frenzied reaction when we noticed it was fantastic).

When he brought our Mika bear on stage sounded great (oh why did I miss those 2 gigs when he did that and no one has any vid evidence of it) :crybaby:

He dedicated a song to that little boy, he tries to speak the language of his audience, he just does his best and that's why we adore him.

I love how he tries to spare a bit of time after the gigs to meet some fans.

I fear him doing big arenas as I feel I'm going to loose what I got out of his gigs before, but understand he probably will have to do them for his own health and he has to earn a crust too.

I think Mika has to just do what he wants to do because there is no way he is going to please every single one of us all of the time.

And yet so far he's been doing the right things - whether intuitionally or meticulously contived :wink2:

The only things that I think are now necessary (especially if he wants to do arenas) are ...BIG SCREENS!

Of course MFCers always manage their way to the front, but I'm thinking of the rest of the audience here... I really wondered what people who were at the back of the Brussels venue (7000 people) could actually see from where they stood. And the visual aspect of Mika's shows are part of the magic, so it might really ruin the gig for them not to see what's going on on stage.