Mika "Castrato" at Fiat Launch

Gatagordinha

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course it was a bit of a dig at Mika, but I'm kind of sad how we all think that being called a castrato is "disgusting." They were wonderfully skilled musicians and, I think, in some ways sadly disrespected now.

gullo_sidea01.jpg

gullo_sidea02.jpg

gullo_sidea03.jpg

gullo_sidea04.jpg

gullo_sidea05.jpg

--Jack

It doesn't mean castrated but you have to be castrated in order to be one, so it's effectively the same thing.

Pretty unnecessary.

that's for sure, but you know the meanings of words evolve, and to me it doesn't necessarily imply that you have to be castrated. I feel it more like a figurative sense, like it completely lost the sense of being castrated, in French we say métonymie, I can't find the word in English

not that I am defending the writer though, the word kinda shocked me when I first read it, I'm just trying to think about it from a linguistical point of view and think about the possible effects the writer wanted to pruduce :bleh: I know I need some sleep :naughty:

Of course it was a bit of a dig at Mika, but I'm kind of sad how we all think that being called a castrato is "disgusting." They were wonderfully skilled musicians and, I think, in some ways sadly disrespected now.

gullo_sidea01.jpg

gullo_sidea02.jpg

gullo_sidea03.jpg

gullo_sidea04.jpg

gullo_sidea05.jpg

--Jack

omg I adore this style! Thanks for let us know!:wub2: {searches for L.Gullo}

omg I adore this style! Thanks for let us know!:wub2: {searches for L.Gullo}

mind you ....that is a very powerful cartoon....and I do agree that yes Castrati do need to be respected...I guess its just the term needs to be used appropriately for the right reasons

gullo_sidea01.jpg

gullo_sidea02.jpg

gullo_sidea03.jpg

gullo_sidea04.jpg

gullo_sidea05.jpg

--Jack

a "famous" (in france) exemple of castrati lives could be seen in the movie Farinelli... that was moving... and quite realistic :thumb_yello: i liked it...

a "famous" (in france) exemple of castrati lives could be seen in the movie Farinelli... that was moving... and quite realistic :thumb_yello: i liked it...

hmmmmm I think I am going to learn more about this . I shall rent the movie..funny with this article...it has made me really think...

http://www.journa-list.com/arion-mcnicoll

Recent article by the 'Times Online' "Driving Editor--Arion McNicoll!"

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/men/article2147180.ece

Right now, there are 2 "COMMENTS" listed.

One is mine.

It's not particularly sweet, but

I figure if Mr. McNicoll can dish it out,

he ought to be able to take it! :badmood:

[i never claimed to be a nice person!]

The other comment is calm, rational & very well worded . . .

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/features/article3231320.ece

There ought to be a few more . . .

I really love that one.

Thanks for posting the I, Castrato. I don't think I read it thoroughly the first time you showed me because we were chatting about other stuff too.

I in general want to draw like him. :-)

0006kqy1.jpg

FaceLaughed.jpg

titus.gif

000gefhy.jpg

I wish I could post some other ones of his that are my favorites, but they tend to be a little... decadently risque.

--Jack

I really love that one.

Thanks for posting the I, Castrato. I don't think I read it thoroughly the first time you showed me because we were chatting about other stuff too.

Ditto. Since that first time you showed us on chat, I've read "Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides - (Sari recommended) and besides learning obvious physical/biological similarities - it was a pretty good read and eye-opening learning experience too.

Thanks for sharing that again Jack. As soon as I saw the creation of this thread by suzie, I thought of you and this comic/illustration straight away.

Okay, so after reading that wikipedia article and googling "mika castrato" (lol - that's as far as my research goes), I still can't tell if the journalist was making an ill-informed compliment/description, an insult or an ill-informed insult. But I don't think the word means to be 'castrated'. As far as I can tell castrato means to be able to sing at a pre-pubescant range through to adulthood. It was once acheived through castration, but it doesn't have to be.

So-called "natural" or "endocrinological castrati" are born with hormonal anomalies, such as Kallmann's syndrome, or have undergone unusual physical or medical events during their early lives that reproduce the vocal effects of castration without the surgeon's knife.

I obviously don't know anything much about it, but I think it sounds like it is possible to be a castrato through some kind of extremely vigorous training, because that's what it sounds like to me in this interveiw:

Reporter:
The help of his Russian singing teacher and the classical music background enabled him to develop his 4 octave singing range.

Mika:
I'm not castrato!

Reporter:
But you are able to sing very high!

Mika:
I can sing very high, but everyone can sing very high.

Reporter:
If we learn to do it.

Mika:
No, you can do it!

*mika tries to make reporter sing high*

Either way the journalist is completely wrong.

gullo_sidea01.jpg

That is an amazing, insightful, funny and beautiful comic, thanks! :thumb_yello:

One is mine.

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/features/article3231320.ece

Good comments.

*wishes she had something else to add so she could post one too*

the drwaings are lovely, jack, I like the style very much.

but I NEVER said being castrato is a disgusting thing.. I always said it irritates me the association the journalist made falsetto= ambiguity = lack of manhood.. which IS what is subtly (NOT) hinted.. :mf_rosetinted:

and as I said, quoting this farinelli person, that was a sad destiny these great 18th cent. artists were meeting. these surgeries may allow them to gain a beautiful voice and lots of popularity (right who said they were considered sex symbols often), buit it was performed in their childhood, not requested and it carried along, as you may immagine, lots of very negative side effects too.

I have nothing against the art, or the quality of the castrato singing (I love male sopranos voices), but I hate the abuse that comes together with this type of art.

gullo_sidea01.jpg

gullo_sidea02.jpg

gullo_sidea03.jpg

gullo_sidea04.jpg

gullo_sidea05.jpg

--Jack

Calling him castrato is hardly having a go at him, maybe they got fed up with calling him falsetto and lets face it there is no other way of describing his voice.

he could even be a countertenor!(....)but those sillies who don't know their music :mf_rosetinted: :mf_rosetinted: should get a slap from me.

I still don't know whether it was an intentional dig or just ignorance. Whatever :bleh:

Slap him anyway elanorelle!!

And I think there is a beter way of describing his voice. Falsettist countertenor maybe? He certainly does not have the voice of a castrato! Beautiful though castrato voice is/was.

I think the journalist wanted to sound smart and squeeze in a cultural and elegant reference that sounded italian, as much as to, yes, mock mika for being, in his VERY humble opinion, someone who gave up a little of his masculinity in behalf of his artistic career, even if o.c. not giving up in a phisical sense... :roftl:

Mika is all man as far as I am concerned:mf_rosetinted:

It doesn't mean castrated but you have to be castrated in order to be one, so it's effectively the same thing.

Not necessarily deliberately castrated, but a sexually immature adult male, yes.

btw Jack, great cartoons!

One is mine.

That'd be me:mf_rosetinted: :wink2:

Always calm and rational on the outside:mf_rosetinted:

But inside: :blowup:

I in general want to draw like him. :-)

0006kqy1.jpg

FaceLaughed.jpg

titus.gif

000gefhy.jpg

I wish I could post some other ones of his that are my favorites, but they tend to be a little... decadently risque.

--Jack

{the road to hell is paved with adverbs}ihihi

:wub2:

aaw please, post more!

would you like a cup of tea on the couch?:wink2:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10458

That'd be me:mf_rosetinted: :wink2:

Always calm and rational on the outside:mf_rosetinted:

But inside: :blowup:

THERE ARE 9 COMMENTS NOW!!!

I can't believe they seem to have posted all our comments, including mine (under false ID, of course, for suzie only exists in cartoon motion:naughty: ). Shame the ' (apostrophe key) did not work...

THERE ARE 9 COMMENTS NOW!!!

I can't believe they seem to have posted all our comments, including mine (under false ID, of course, for suzie only exists in cartoon motion:naughty: ). Shame the ' (apostrophe key) did not work...

THERE ARE 13 COMMENTS NOW!!!