New Out-magazine interview !

stien

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great interview, I liked it very much, the first part in particular, not so much the rehashed sexuality talk which makes me wanna yawn.

I LOVE what he said about the planned arena shows, even though I still dislike the thought of those very huge venues I just want to grab him and hug him for wanting to make up for the disadvantages and create something enjoyable for everyone. :wub2:

I found the interview rather annoying... Is it just me? :thumbdown:

If he doesn't want to discuss his sexuality, he should clarify that with his interviewer before. I'm sure they would reach an agreement easily. There's no need to say or print again and again all those useless words to avoid the subject. Once is enough, I just wish he stopped discussing it tout court, if that's his choice.

Or better, I wish he came out and end all the useless speculations.

That's clearly not what he wants to do and I 100% respect that.

Please forgive my lack of politeness, but I think we need a poster boy for homosexuality so badly and he's so amazingly talented, successful, smart, beautiful, down-to-earth! What better example could I possibly hope for? :wub2:

On the other hand, by avoiding the subject, he's risking to become another unnecessary bad example for gay people instead.

Just look what happened recently with Darren Hayes, former frontman of Savage Garden: he came out at the same time he was fired from his record company, so that in the eye of the public the moral of this story is "as long as you're married to a woman, you're successful, but when you decide to jump out of the closet, you lose the fortune it took you so long to achieve".

I just wish him to be still at the top when he will find the balls to reply to his interviewer: "Yes, I'm gay and perfectly well-adjusted. That's all I'm going to say about the subject and I do not intend to discuss my lovelife in interviews, I already expose my feelings enough in my songs."

I guess I just found myself another excellent reason to keep supporting him and caring for him even more.

I agree with everything you say, but maybe it's just me. But perhaps he fears that IF he comes out so early in his career when his career isn't steady yet (which it is by now) he might lose it all again. Because you can't deny the fact that there are so many fangirls in love with him who'd be just devastated if he'd come out and drop him just as fast as they embraced him. Now I'm not jumping to conclusions whether he's gay or bi or straight or metro or if he loves animals instead until he says it himself. But I agree that if he happens to be gay, he'd be the best rolemodel for gay people out there:thumb_yello:

Great interview, I liked it very much, the first part in particular, not so much the rehashed sexuality talk which makes me wanna yawn.

I LOVE what he said about the planned arena shows, even though I still dislike the thought of those very huge venues I just want to grab him and hug him for wanting to make up for the disadvantages and create something enjoyable for everyone. :wub2:

agreed very much!:thumb_yello:

Just look what happened recently with Darren Hayes, former frontman of Savage Garden: he came out at the same time he was fired from his record company, so that in the eye of the public the moral of this story is "as long as you're married to a woman, you're successful, but when you decide to jump out of the closet, you lose the fortune it took you so long to achieve".

As a Savage Garden fan from way back, I totally relate to what you're saying here. Mika has not yet cracked success in the homophobic US market so why would be jeopardise things by coming out? He would pretty much stop all chance of cracking that one....but who needs US anyway when the rest of the world love you :naughty: If he comes out, it will be AGES before he says anything. He's gonna keep this going for as long as he can :roftl:

I agree with everything you say, but maybe it's just me. But perhaps he fears that IF he comes out so early in his career when his career isn't steady yet (which it is by now) he might lose it all again. Because you can't deny the fact that there are so many fangirls in love with him who'd be just devastated if he'd come out and drop him just as fast as they embraced him.

:thumb_yello: let me just say that the fangirls that cry and scream and never listen to him again if he is gay, it's the most stupid, ridiculous thing ever!! And this will happen because a delusioned percentage of his fanbase is determined to MARRY the guy.

:thumb_yello: let me just say that the fangirls that cry and scream and never listen to him again if he is gay, it's the most stupid, ridiculous thing ever!! And this will happen because a delusioned percentage of his fanbase is determined to MARRY the guy.

Agreed. But it's just the way it is. Inevitable. But then you do find out who like him for his music and who like him for the way he looks...

Agreed. But it's just the way it is. Inevitable. But then you do find out who like him for his music and who like him for the way he looks...

Well, I loved GK and listened to that constantly before I bothered googling who the hell Mika was. Tha fact that he turned out to be unbelievably stunning was icing on the cake :roftl: I think I can still remember my surprise!!!

I really like the ending of this interview. With all the analyzing of his songs, we probably know a ton of things about him. It is fun to not know personal things. I just wish that interviewers would stop asking him about his personal life and focus on his songs. We listened to almost all of LICM before seeing a picture of the super cute man. We can't wait for a new album by him. I'm kinda bummed though that the gig in Chicago will not be so flamboyent as the bigger venues, but we are happy that we will see him.

The Meyer Twins

Well, I loved GK and listened to that constantly before I bothered googling who the hell Mika was. Tha fact that he turned out to be unbelievably stunning was icing on the cake :roftl: I think I can still remember my surprise!!!

Well, I actually first saw the interview on Jensen. But not his looks attracted me most, but more his wit. Seriously I fell for the humour and well, then downloaded the track and fell in luv:wub2:

If he doesn't want to discuss his sexuality, he should clarify that with his interviewer before .

:no:

That would be not only impolite but would also make him look lik a big-headed star, insisting on his terms of an interview... And also, that would suggest he has something to hide...

If journalists keep asking him this question, it only degrades them. :thumbdown:

Or better, I wish he came out and end all the useless speculations.

Nooooo! :no:

Why now? Maybe when he is 50 or so, and is desparate to "share the burden of his mind"...:naughty:

On the other hand, by avoiding the subject, he's risking to become another unnecessary bad example for gay people instead.

Why is it a bad example? Why would you be interested in his lovelife unless you are part of it? :cool:

Just look what happened recently with Darren Hayes, former frontman of Savage Garden: he came out at the same time he was fired from his record company.

Perhaps it also had something to do with the quality of his solo stuff and also the marketing of it... Savage Garden was a well-known name. I don't think there was enought money / PR invested into making Darren Hayes a household name... (another example: Tears for Fears sells, while Roland Orzabal or Curt Smith does not!)

Why do you think that is?

It’s very simple. I didn’t get radio support in the States with “Grace Kelly,” even though it was number one in most territories around the world, probably in the top two or three songs in the world by radio play in every single country. I heard from a [u.S.] radio station a couple of months ago, and the programmer’s excuse was, “It’s because he says he wants to be like a woman. He has the line where he says he wants to be like Grace Kelly, and we just don’t feel comfortable with this song.” And then when it got to “Love Today,” and we tried to get radio to play it they said, “Impossible -- it’s a man singing in the vocal range of the woman.” It’s kind of depressing, really. It’s just confusing. But I see the humor of it. Far more people are listening to me online than are listening on radio and, quite frankly, that’s the contact I’m quite comfortable with at the moment, because it means I can sell tickets to my live shows.

Oi, that's just ridiculous! People..

But yea, nice article. :) This might be a dumb question, but is he in the actual magazine?

I don't know what the heck the radio stations are talking about here in the u.s. We heard Mika on tv when they had a commercial for a cell phone and had Love Today playing. We downloaded it and bought LICM a week or so later. We joined here in June but didn't really post or look at the posts till a few months later so we didn't really know the rules and what not. We've heard only 3 different Mika songs on the radio. Grace Kelly once, My Interpretation once, and Stuck In The Middle once. We of couse flipped when we heard these because we don't hear them often. Mika said that his U.S. tours sells out fast. It's because people love him hear in the U.S. and we don't know why the radio stations said that type of stuff to GK and LT. Mika is brillant!

Love Love:wub2:

Meyer Twins

But yea, nice article. :) This might be a dumb question, but is he in the actual magazine?

Ugh I know that's so stupid! So does that mean we shouldn't play songs over the radio where a woman sounds like a man? What the radio stations gave in a response sounds very homophobic (just to clarify I'm not calling him gay.) I mean, so what if a guy sings really high? I think that's a talent because I surely can't sing high! I'm also sure I've heard guys with high voices on the radio before.

I have heard SITM playing in a store and I know it was played in another one around here too, but I think it's on a mix CD that the stores are sent. Anyway, that's a small step.

Okay so enough ranting. It was a very good article, I liked it! I liked how it wasn't one of the usual articles asking, "So, why did you write Grace Kelly?" Ya know, those ones where we could pretty much answer ourselves at this point. :wink2: Thanks for posting! :original:

It’s very simple. I didn’t get radio support in the States with “Grace Kelly,” even though it was number one in most territories around the world, probably in the top two or three songs in the world by radio play in every single country. I heard from a [u.S.] radio station a couple of months ago, and the programmer’s excuse was, “It’s because he says he wants to be like a woman. He has the line where he says he wants to be like Grace Kelly, and we just don’t feel comfortable with this song.” And then when it got to “Love Today,” and we tried to get radio to play it they said, “Impossible -- it’s a man singing in the vocal range of the woman.”

i'm not sure... is it a joke or something?? i mean men singing in vocal range of women or having a male/female voice....it doesnt make any sense, what about:

Thom Yorke

Jeff Buckley

Matt Bellamy

Freddie Mercury

Billy corgan

Robert Plant

Prince

Brian Molko

Jasper Steverlinck

Brett Anderson

Morissey and MORE????You can hear those people on american radio cant you??

I dont get it...and if you take someone like Robert Smith i assume that Cure is nerver played on american radio then....

and what about Courtney L, a woman singing like a man, is she banned too??

those guys from the radio station were kidding , right guys?? I've never heard sothg like this before today...

none of those singers are played on popular american radio stations. :thumbdown:

all the guys have typical guy voices and the girls have stereotypical girl voices.

No come on!!your kidding me?? it's impossible!! *absolutely shocked*...but those bands are famous ...and they are not played on the radio??? it's pure nonsense!!!

i think Mika's music is too eclectic.. it sounds nothing like typical american hip hop/rnb/rock/metal.. they probably do'nt expect him to have a lot of fans.. i guess they'll start playing his music once they're sure people will listen to it.. which they should (soon) because of his growing number of fans in the us.

thanks for posting anyway :D

Yes, does anybody know if the article is in the mag? Because if it is I want to order it! I already have the last year copy (thanks Megan! :thumb_yello: ) So, now it would be cool to have this one!

i think Mika's music is too eclectic.. it sounds nothing like typical american hip hop/rnb/rock/metal.. they probably do'nt expect him to have a lot of fans.. i guess they'll start playing his music once they're sure people will listen to it.. which they should (soon) because of his growing number of fans in the us.

thanks for posting anyway :D

I HOPE they start playing him on the radios here SOON! This is going to be what, his second tour in the US? It's pretty much sold out again!

Sure, radio stations here are cool with playing songs that have drugs, alcohol, violence, and affairs in them but heaven forbid if a guy has an amazing vocal range! :mf_rosetinted: