The Archeology Thread

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you! :huglove: It seems my connection is not working as it should right now, but I'm sure I can find it. Anyway, I'll keep you updated:thumb_yello:

There are so many legends of large caves with items inside , he spent 20 years investigating them , really fasinating :thumb_yello:

There are so many legends of large caves with items inside , he spent 20 years investigating them , really fasinating :thumb_yello:

Yes, caves have always been perfect hiding places for sacred or important objects, such as the Qumran rolls for instance. In Spain we have several caves in which there have been found things as the oldest written piece in Iberia, a copper circle with symbols in Iberian language that seems to be a religious item. This writting hasn't been deciphered yet, and why it was in that cave it's a mistery: the cave itself is in a high a difficult to scale mountain near the Mediterranean.

Yes, caves have always been perfect hiding places for sacred or important objects, such as the Qumran rolls for instance. In Spain we have several caves in which there have been found things as the oldest written piece in Iberia, a copper circle with symbols in Iberian language that seems to be a religious item. This writting hasn't been deciphered yet, and why it was in that cave it's a mistery: the cave itself is in a high a difficult to scale mountain near the Mediterranean.

The dead sea scrolls??? ... they are amazing....

I read a book and studied them also , what the say about Jesus is that he was a teacher and not divine :shocked:

Aye i know, it was the fact that you hadnt spoken to me personally until now that concerned me.

Ohh I was off all weekend ... Easter and all , If I had been around I would of soothed it a bit better :thumb_yello:

Your welcome to chat via PM .. we are making this thread random:thumb_yello:

Yes and we have a lot of ruins and had lot of Roman coins and other thing in our museum...

But unfortunately couple years ago museum was robed!Vandals!:sneaky2:

Have anyone ever seen Athen and Acropolis?

It's very beautiful and worth seen!:thumb_yello:

Yes and we have a lot of ruins and had lot of Roman coins and other thing in our museum...

Ive seen lots of the greek island but never Athems how mad is that :shocked:

The acropolis is supposed to be stunning :punk:

:huglove: Nicole hun, you flatter me... You're sooooooo lovely!!! Thank you sooooo much. And also thank you for liking my pics and posts, I was beginning to think Archaeology was out of its thread, with all those UFOs flying around:roftl:

You're welcome! If you see a girl following you around one day when you're at work digging and discovering interesting places, then don't be afraid, it's only me. :naughty:

When I was younger I really thought that I saw a UFO! I was looking out of my window and there it was! Up in the sky, flying quickly with lights flashing on it!:shocked:

Now I am older and aware of the fact that things called "planes" do exist. :naughty: :naughty:

I have missed most of the chat here, but that's what happens when I can come online only for a bit.:naughty:

I also love archeology and I live in a town which was built on the ruins of the old Roman city called Sirmium!

Hi missagaga!!! So you live in Sremska Mitrovica? WOW, according to the pics I've seen and to what I've studied about it, it must be a beautiful city. I had also heard about that museum robbery, it always breakes my heart whenever a museum is robbed, mostly because what is actually stolen is the heritage of the particular place and also of the whole Mankind. And it takes sooooo long and sooooo much effort to discover every single tiny piece in the museums! To lose them is really heartbreaking, especially for an archaeologist.

I've never been to Greece (yet), but I know Athens is stunning, especially the Acropolis. I wish I could go soon, I sooooooo want to see for myself!

You're welcome! If you see a girl following you around one day when you're at work digging and discovering interesting places, then don't be afraid, it's only me.

When I was younger I really thought that I saw a UFO! I was looking out of my window and there it was! Up in the sky, flying quickly with lights flashing on it!:shocked:

Now I am older and aware of the fact that things called "planes" do exist.

I have missed most of the chat here, but that's what happens when I can come online only for a bit.:naughty:

:roftl: Ok, I'll watch my back all the time to check you're okay!! I hope some day you can actually come to one of my digs, hun, you know it'll be fantastic.

Funny story about the "UFO" you saw:roftl:

Hi missagaga!!! So you live in Sremska Mitrovica? WOW, according to the pics I've seen and to what I've studied about it, it must be a beautiful city. I had also heard about that museum robbery, it always breakes my heart whenever a museum is robbed, mostly because what is actually stolen is the heritage of the particular place and also of the whole Mankind. And it takes sooooo long and sooooo much effort to discover every single tiny piece in the museums! To lose them is really heartbreaking, especially for an archaeologist.

I've never been to Greece (yet), but I know Athens is stunning, especially the Acropolis. I wish I could go soon, I sooooooo want to see for myself!

Hi!

Yes I am from Sremska Mitrovica.It's not really big town but it is beautiful city!I have some pictures of Sremska Mitrovica and Sirmium ruins in my album on myspace so feel free to look!And I'm inviting you to visit my town and to confirm my words!:wink2:

And Acropolis and Athens are very beautiful.I would recomend it to everyone who haven't seen it to visit it.:thumb_yello:

Hi!

Yes I am from Sremska Mitrovica.It's not really big town but it is beautiful city!I have some pictures of Sremska Mitrovica and Sirmium ruins in my album on myspace so feel free to look!And I'm inviting you to visit my town and to confirm my words!:wink2:

And Acropolis and Athens are very beautiful.I would recomend it to everyone who haven't seen it to visit it.:thumb_yello:

WOWOWOWOW your town is beautiful!!!!!!!:thumb_yello: Wish I could go and see it for myself, I'd really love to! Thank you for sharing the pics, they're so good!

BTW, I've just realised you're Dragana:naughty: I'm sooooo absent-minded some times:blush-anim-cl:

I saw the Dead Sea Scrolls when they were on exhibition in Glasgow.

It was fascinating - standing there, looking at things that had been

written over two thousand years ago!! The whole thing was done well,

with lots of information, and a really good brochure that showed on maps

exactly how and where they were found. :thumb_yello:

Wow... now that would be interesting... Actually, that reminded me... I saw this really interesting program on Good Friday called the Jesus Files... and on Easter Sunday I saw a program about the gospel of Judas... and I had to explain to my sister that it would be a bit difficult for the Gospels to be written by the person they're named after (esp when you're looking at the four in the Bible) up to 100 years after Jesus' death...

Ok, here are three of the pics from Toledo:

Arcolobulado2.jpg

This reflects the finding of an arch that was hidden behind a modern plaster wall. As you see, it was in perfect conditions, and we date it in the 11th century.

Arcoyeseras2.jpg

This is a plaster decorated arch from the 14th cantury. It was placed oposite of the first one and it belongs to the Templar ocupation of the palace (BTW, Fred: it is said that the Templars brought the Ark from Jerusalem to this very building after the First Crusade).

pinturas2.jpg

These Caliphal paintings were found along with a horseshoe arch behind the modern plaster wall of the room to which the 14th century arch opened. According to the inscription (which I could read in the end) and the shape of the letters and decorations, they are from the 10th century and they speak of a member of the Royal family (Toledo was an independent kingdom when Córdoba fell in the late 10th-early 11th century).

TEMPLARS!!!

Truely Truely amazing :wub2:

The ark was the item (basically a large wooden box) it carried Moses commandments

The guy has spent 25 years searching it down ...

It also brings in the whole Jesus and history thing .. mind blowing

You knw, that just reminded me... I read in the paper not long ago that they believe that Moses was high on some sort of drugs on Mount Sinai when God passed to Commandments to him...

But as a practicing Catholic I probably shouldn't take notice of such things, should I...

I guess in the end, it doesn't matter how he go them,it's important that he implemented them within Judaism... if he didn't, then Christianity would be lacking some very important teachings...

I watched this documentary once. And it was about Egypt and the possibility of alien contact with the people of ancient Egypt. It was a view years ago that i watched it so I can't remember anything, except that is was very very very interesting

*cough*stargatemovie*cough*

Nice suggestions... If you're interested in Templars, then you surely liked the pics I posted before, didn't you? The building was the Templar headquarters and prision in Toledo after the city was taken by Christians, and it is said that the Ark and the Table of Salomon were kept in there. And I reserached it!!! (now that is thrilling!)

Definitely... I find it so interesting how Templars influenced so much of today's world... one big thing that comes to mind would be the structure that today's banking and loans is based on...

Yep, Templars came up with that gem!

I also find it amusing that you can find mentions of Knights Templar in different media, as in books, movies and games... like Holy Blood, Holy Grail/The Da Vinci Code as well as Seven Ancient Wonders and Six Sacred Stones, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (the knight who is guarding the Holy Grail is a Templar knight), as well as a little game called Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars... one of the characters in the game is called Nico Collard, which is my username (who also happens to be French)...

The game is something that started my interest in Knights Templar... I already had the interest in France (big give away is my confirmation name - Joan of Arc)...

Anyways...

No it was never really for me .. I like it in an Indiana Jones type of way

So you'll be going to see the movie when it's out then?

I used to be interested in Archeology and History but as time's gone on I've had less and less free time to pursue many of my hobbies.

So all I have to contribute to the discussion is by charlottechristy:

mikaij.jpg

*bows down to the genius that is charlottechristy*

I'm not worthy!

Hi Pink! Thanks for the info, I had no idea we had a whole week! WOW! I'm sure in Spain there's nothing like this, we're ignored when not directly hated...

I'm sure there are a lot of people who would quite happily worship you for the archaeology goddess that you are!

The dead sea scrolls??? ... they are amazing....

I read a book and studied them also , what the say about Jesus is that he was a teacher and not divine

That's their opinion... it's different points of view...

I might get this wrong, and if I do feel free to correct me, but Jews don't see Jesus as the Messiah, but as a prophet... same with Islam...

Christianity came to the conclusion within the first few centuries that he was both human and divine... he was born human, but when he rose from the dead he was considered divine... He was also called Teacher by his disciples...

I don't know where the post was, but I remember discussing the Old Testament with theologians from the Catholic University, and they talked about how a lot of the Bible (esp OT) can be considered stories... I'm not saying they weren't true, but when the Hebrews were expelled from Jerusalem, they were sent into the desert by the Babyolnians... it is believed that the young people who were born in the desert started to believe in the Babylonian gods and strayed from their own religion, so the elders came up with stories to interest the young people and bring them bck to the religion... also their original teachings were lost, so they had to rely on oral teachings...

Anyways, the moral of the story... the stories in the Bible are based on truth (or what I believe as truth), but they added a bit extra to it to bring the young ones back to their religion... because honestly, do you really believe that Abraham lived to 700 years old?

And on totally unrelated note... I see that I earned my title of MQ queen again :naughty:

WOWOWOWOW your town is beautiful!!!!!!!:thumb_yello: Wish I could go and see it for myself, I'd really love to! Thank you for sharing the pics, they're so good!

BTW, I've just realised you're Dragana:naughty: I'm sooooo absent-minded some times:blush-anim-cl:

Thank you!:wink2:

And I thought that you knew that was me!:roftl: But never mind!:wink2::roftl:

Thank you!:wink2:

And I thought that you knew that was me!:roftl: But never mind!:wink2::roftl:

I knew it was you BEFORE you posted in this thread, it just slipped my mind somehow when I read your posts in here (I think I'm much more an oldling than I want to admit:naughty: ) Hope you're not upset with me for this...

I knew it was you BEFORE you posted in this thread, it just slipped my mind somehow when I read your posts in here (I think I'm much more an oldling than I want to admit:naughty: ) Hope you're not upset with me for this...

No you're not.It happens to me all the time...I don't know what I'm going to do when I turn 50!:naughty::wink2:

No you're not.It happens to me all the time...I don't know what I'm going to do when I turn 50!:naughty::wink2:

Yes, I do think about that often now... I imagine myself like the typical absent-minded scientific in my laboratory, going to diggings and pretending I'm still the young woman I once was, trying to jump the trenches and all...

Yes, I do think about that often now... I imagine myself like the typical absent-minded scientific in my laboratory, going to diggings and pretending I'm still the young woman I once was, trying to jump the trenches and all...

Don't talk like that.As i said it happens to everyone...I was a smoker for a long time and now I'm taking consequences...I forgot a lot!And I always thought it won't happen to me...

Wow... now that would be interesting... Actually, that reminded me... I saw this really interesting program on Good Friday called the Jesus Files... and on Easter Sunday I saw a program about the gospel of Judas... and I had to explain to my sister that it would be a bit difficult for the Gospels to be written by the person they're named after (esp when you're looking at the four in the Bible) up to 100 years after Jesus' death...

Now this is an interesting post!!! I love a little theological chat in the afternoon.

In fact, the Gospels (at least the ones the Church recognizes as dogmatic) are said to have been written a few centuries after Jesus lived, so it's very likely that they have a big part of "legend" or inaccurate things and events, due to rumours and tales about the actual facts, if you see what I mean. Besides, it is a well known fact, at least in archaeological and historical circles, that the Gospels weren't written by the Apostles, but by some different anonymous people.

TEMPLARS!!!

You knw, that just reminded me... I read in the paper not long ago that they believe that Moses was high on some sort of drugs on Mount Sinai when God passed to Commandments to him...

But as a practicing Catholic I probably shouldn't take notice of such things, should I...

I guess in the end, it doesn't matter how he go them,it's important that he implemented them within Judaism... if he didn't, then Christianity would be lacking some very important teachings...

Well, I had never heard about this, and I think it's impossible to find out, since nobody has found Moses' body to study it. Every now and then theories like that come out from nowhere, too much free time for some researchers, maybe?:roftl:

Definitely... I find it so interesting how Templars influenced so much of today's world... one big thing that comes to mind would be the structure that today's banking and loans is based on...

Yep, Templars came up with that gem!

I also find it amusing that you can find mentions of Knights Templar in different media, as in books, movies and games... like Holy Blood, Holy Grail/The Da Vinci Code as well as Seven Ancient Wonders and Six Sacred Stones, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (the knight who is guarding the Holy Grail is a Templar knight), as well as a little game called Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars... one of the characters in the game is called Nico Collard, which is my username (who also happens to be French)...

The game is something that started my interest in Knights Templar... I already had the interest in France (big give away is my confirmation name - Joan of Arc)...

Yep, templars seem to be quite "profitable" nowadays... I personally hate that use of them, it gives an aspect of the Order so different from the real facts. And yep, I knew they were the ones who stablished banking and loans, they did so in order to travel more freely across the Mediterranean. They were geniuoses!

BTW, I love your nick, in case I had never told you before...

I'm sure there are a lot of people who would quite happily worship you for the archaeology goddess that you are!

Thank you so, so much!:blush-anim-cl: Now I'm embarrased... Nobody ever called me archeology goddess... Funny feeling...

That's their opinion... it's different points of view...

I might get this wrong, and if I do feel free to correct me, but Jews don't see Jesus as the Messiah, but as a prophet... same with Islam...

Correct:thumb_yello:

Christianity came to the conclusion within the first few centuries that he was both human and divine... he was born human, but when he rose from the dead he was considered divine... He was also called Teacher by his disciples...

I don't know where the post was, but I remember discussing the Old Testament with theologians from the Catholic University, and they talked about how a lot of the Bible (esp OT) can be considered stories... I'm not saying they weren't true, but when the Hebrews were expelled from Jerusalem, they were sent into the desert by the Babyolnians... it is believed that the young people who were born in the desert started to believe in the Babylonian gods and strayed from their own religion, so the elders came up with stories to interest the young people and bring them bck to the religion... also their original teachings were lost, so they had to rely on oral teachings...

Anyways, the moral of the story... the stories in the Bible are based on truth (or what I believe as truth), but they added a bit extra to it to bring the young ones back to their religion... because honestly, do you really believe that Abraham lived to 700 years old?

How true! The stories in the Bible are sometimes based on truth, and other times simply examples of attitudes to follow, moral fables if you want. But then again, if you're a practising Catholic, you chose to believe, that's what Faith is, isn't it?