LICM is currently no.1 on Top albums of all time list!

paula.pop

aw, why do people think that just because some music is older than others that its better?

I say Mika is on a par with a lot of them, and no I don't think its crazy because about 50 years from now is that only when its acceptable for it to be "the best album".

time doesn't make things better in my opinion, LICM is a classic already in my eyes.

Well said! Of course people are entitled to their opinions, and there have been some great albums. I am an older person who remembers a lot of the greats from the past. Elvis, Abba, Queen, The Bee Gees etc. Their albums are classics, that's very true and no one is taking anything away from them. But when they first started making records, no one thought of them as icons. They were just pop stars. It's only with the passage of time that most of them have gained the respect they deserve.

In my humble opinion, Mika's music is just as good, if not better, than theirs, and why should Mika have to wait years, before people realise how great his music really is? Why not say it now! There are people out there who still think Mika is only a flash in the pan who will soon disappear. So I hope he wins this, and doesn't have to wait years to be truly appreciated.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said! Of course people are entitled to their opinions, and there have been some great albums. I am an older person who remembers a lot of the greats from the past. Elvis, Abba, Queen, The Bee Gees etc. Their albums are classics, that's very true and no one is taking anything away from them. But when they first started making records, no one thought of them as icons. They were just pop stars. It's only with the passage of time that most of them have gained the respect they deserve.

In my humble opinion, Mika's music is just as good, if not better, than theirs, and why should Mika have to wait years, before people realise how great his music really is? Why not say it now! There are people out there who still think Mika is only a flash in the pan who will soon disappear. So I hope he wins this, and doesn't have to wait years to be truly appreciated.

I totally agree with you,actually I would like to add something : the only singer/songwriter whose album has been accepted as classic at once and made a great success (the best selling album ever) was the "Thriller" by Michael Jackson (1983).

Mika has several times expressed admiring to Michael Jackson - to his great sound and performing...

MJ had similar music career since his childhood, just like Mika.

I respect Michael Jackson's music very much... and in some aspects MJ has effected on Mika's music,Mika said so himself.

I am very happy for Mika's success! Well done Mika!!:thumb_yello:

I agree with a lot of this Marilyn. It is easy to forget that the classic oldies are classic because they have been around a lot and gained respect over the years..if they were worth it in the first place, and time does tell!

While I still think it is too early to describe LICM as a classic album, it's certainly a very very notable debut album, and while in my opinion it's a little strange for it to be sitting at the top of this poll (I don't mean to take anything away from Mika here), I do actually think that it simply being up there is good for Mika's credibility...people will see the album up there and maybe wonder about it, just maybe take Mika a bit more seriously. That's especially important during this Mika "downtime".

So these subjective poll things aren't a bad thing ...they should just always be taken with a pinch of salt.

This is amazing! :yay:

I don't think it matters how old the album is.. Isn't it enough that it's been toping worldwide charts for months now? And isn't it enough that right now there are over 10,000 fans on this website (and more elsewhere just becuase of this SINGLE album? And that Mika's play at the Olympia and so many other famous venues around the world (most of which were sold out in a matter of weeks) just because of this album?

A snippet of OT information. When Queen first payed in Australia waaaaay back when, they were booed and had beer cans and such thrown at them. They did not want to visit Australia again...and in fact didn't for a very long time.

I imagine Freddie was wearing one of his lycra numbers at a time when that wasn't considered particularly fashionable....:naughty:

Yet their songs eventually went to #1....and the many performances of WWRY in Australia just show that people still LOVE Queen songs even now.

The passage of time undoubtedly does a lot for bands. It is particularly good for Mika to have started out so well, and he says he wants to be in this for the long haul.

I guess so do many of us. Maybe our trillion well-loved/well-played copies of LiCM will be quite valuable to future generations of Mika fans.

I agree with a lot of this Marilyn. It is easy to forget that the classic oldies are classic because they have been around a lot and gained respect over the years..if they were worth it in the first place, and time does tell!

While I still think it is too early to describe LICM as a classic album, it's certainly a very very notable debut album, and while in my opinion it's a little strange for it to be sitting at the top of this poll (I don't mean to take anything away from Mika here), I do actually think that it simply being up there is good for Mika's credibility...people will see the album up there and maybe wonder about it, just maybe take Mika a bit more seriously. That's especially important during this Mika "downtime".

So these subjective poll things aren't a bad thing ...they should just always be taken with a pinch of salt.

Exactly! This is good for Mika's credibility as an artist. It's only a poll of course, but the more polls like this, that he wins, or at least, comes close to winning, the more people should take him serious, and stop thinking of him as "The guy who sings like Freddie, or Bowie, or God knows who else", and think of him as the one and only Mika!!!

On ITV, occasionally, they've had these shows where artists of the day, sing songs by songwriting icons of the past. There was ABBAMANIA and QUEENMANIA, and MADONNAMANIA, etc. Well, you all know what I'm waiting to see... MIKAMANIA!!!!! Wouldn't that be something. A night of his songs. It has to happen sometime!!

I agree!! and I love your taste in "classic albums":thumb_yello::)

I totally agree with you,actually I would like to add something : the only singer/songwriter whose album has been accepted as classic at once and made a great success (the best selling album ever) was the "Thriller" by Michael Jackson (1983).

Mika has several times expressed admiring to Michael Jackson - to his great sound and performing...

MJ had similar music career since his childhood, just like Mika.

I respect Michael Jackson's music very much... and in some aspects MJ has effected on Mika's music,Mika said so himself.

I am very happy for Mika's success! Well done Mika!!:thumb_yello:

I agree with you too, and especially about Michael Jackson, he is a genius in my eyes, and if he can be considered an icon after Thriller was released, Mika should be given the same respect with his album.:thumb_yello:

But as I said before, listing favorites in a list like this is a bit much, and too unrealistic given that so many people have completely different tastes.

But I am still happy that Mika seems to be respected for his music already!:D

Hey, I've the feeling you guys think I don't consider LICM a masterpiece and Mika a great artist!! Needless to say I do, otherwise I wouldn't be here, of course:bleh: All I said was it is a bit too early in the day to consider it THE best album of ALL times, whatever that means. He is an icon already, that much is so true, and he's got what it takes to be a legend. I often feel like I'm taking part of something very similar to the first steps of The Beatles, and I'm really proud of it. So don't get me wrong, all I said was I think it's a bit exaggerate, that's all. However, I agree with you all this is a very good think for him, and it'll shut some big mouths, that alone makes it better, hehehe. And I'm very happy for him and very proud, in case anyone had doubts:naughty:

Hey, I've the feeling you guys think I don't consider LICM a masterpiece and Mika a great artist!! Needless to say I do, otherwise I wouldn't be here, of course:bleh: All I said was it is a bit too early in the day to consider it THE best album of ALL times, whatever that means. He is an icon already, that much is so true, and he's got what it takes to be a legend. I often feel like I'm taking part of something very similar to the first steps of The Beatles, and I'm really proud of it. So don't get me wrong, all I said was I think it's a bit exaggerate, that's all. However, I agree with you all this is a very good think for him, and it'll shut some big mouths, that alone makes it better, hehehe. And I'm very happy for him and very proud, in case anyone had doubts:naughty:

I for one don't doubt you at all.:) If your a Mika fan who loves his music, I see no problems there:thumb_yello:

MFC hug?!:bleh::naughty:

I for one don't doubt you at all.:) If your a Mika fan who loves his music, I see no problems there:thumb_yello:

MFC hug?!:bleh::naughty:

MFC hug!!!!!! :huglove: :huglove:

Thank you, it is a relief!! I was kindda feeling someon might think I was sort of understimating Mika, and that is soooo not true at all!!!

MFC hug!!!!!! :huglove: :huglove:

Thank you, it is a relief!! I was kindda feeling someon might think I was sort of understimating Mika, and that is soooo not true at all!!!

aww, don't worry!:huglove: we're all a big mad family here:naughty: we don't doubt you!

and I don't think you're underestimating Mika at all! :) this is just opinions, not a life or death mika fan moment, so you're ok:)

aww, don't worry!:huglove: we're all a big mad family here:naughty: we don't doubt you!

and I don't think you're underestimating Mika at all! :) this is just opinions, not a life or death mika fan moment, so you're ok:)

See? This is what I love about this place: you're all so kind to me!!:wub2:

It's so true, it's just opinions and the lack of "real" Mika news:naughty:

See? This is what I love about this place: you're all so kind to me!!:wub2:

It's so true, it's just opinions and the lack of "real" Mika news:naughty:

awww, your making me all happy now, I think I better go hug someone:wub2: :naughty:

yeah, we need a bit of news, something...ANYTHING!:naughty:

Another thing about LiCM and Mika is that it's put me off the old stuff that I used to like. Nothing seems fresh and alive like Mika's stuff.

In the same way, his live performances spoil you for other artists.

Another thing about LiCM and Mika is that it's put me off the old stuff that I used to like. Nothing seems fresh and alive like Mika's stuff.

In the same way, his live performances spoil you for other artists.

I haven't got to that point yet and still love alot of other artists, though I can understand the live thing, he is just to good to us when he's live!:bleh:

It seems like all the other artists mentioned in this thread are from decades ago - Pink Floyd, the Beatles, Elvis, etc.

I'm voting up LICM because I'm of the painfully biased opinion that it's one of the best of our generation, hands down.

That and, there seems to be some sort of crusade to get Girls Aloud up to the top, and I'm all competitive like that. :naughty:

It seems like all the other artists mentioned in this thread are from decades ago - Pink Floyd, the Beatles, Elvis, etc.

I'm voting up LICM because I'm of the painfully biased opinion that it's one of the best of our generation, hands down.

That and, there seems to be some sort of crusade to get Girls Aloud up to the top, and I'm all competitive like that. :naughty:

Totally agree with you!

Totally agree with you!

Me too! :naughty: You're soooooo right!

I agree with you too, and especially about Michael Jackson, he is a genius in my eyes, and if he can be considered an icon after Thriller was released, Mika should be given the same respect with his album.:thumb_yello:

But as I said before, listing favorites in a list like this is a bit much, and too unrealistic given that so many people have completely different tastes.

But I am still happy that Mika seems to be respected for his music already!:D

Generally,these sorts of lists in most cases reflect the actually taste and relative choice of somebody who makes them.It's a bit strange that on this list are a couple of albums of Take That and only one of Prince (''Purple Rain''),and of course there are missing some great albums.But one thing is obvious and important : for some artists as Mika is it could be a sort of his artistic promotion that gives much credit not only for LICM but for his music itself.The songs on LICM are really unique due to its poetical lyrics,extraordinary vocal arrangements,very unusuall twist of rhythm that make them very difficult for interpretation.But what is the most amazing about it is Mika's divine voice which can put all these elements together on the highest level.This eclectic sound can remind us to many pop,rock,dance,soul traditions and artists but no one in particular.Thanks to his unique voice Mika can offer such amazing vocal transformations and twists of vocal range from childish to very mature expression.A very few singers so far could realize such a great project as Mika did.

LICM is a great album, but I think people shouldn't really take that poll too seriously. Look through the list and you'll see multiple entries by Girls Aloud and even a Jonas Brothers entry in very high positions...I'm just sayin'...:naughty: