English as a Second Language

I know :naughty: Do you know what's terrible... if we thought for few seconds... would we be able to name more than 100 of them? ... i don't think so!

:yay: #5000!

I don't know, maybe 100, but not many more :naughty:

Honestly, and I am ashamed of it, I didn't know there is Luxembourgish language before you mentioned it, I thought you all speak French. :doh:

don't worry hardly anybody knows that. most people think we speak French or German. they are official languages here although nobody speaks them as their first language

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know, maybe 100, but not many more :naughty:

don't worry hardly anybody knows that. most people think we speak French or German. they are official languages here although nobody speaks them as their first language

so what does this language look like? Say something :biggrin2:

Interesting topic...But I love languages and anything to do with them :roftl:

English was not really my second language, but my fourth:naughty:. I was raised bilingual Spanish/Catalan, and then moved to The Netherlands at the age of 5 where I was schooled in Dutch, so that was my third.

We then moved to Argentina a couple of years later, where everything was obviously in Spanish, but we learned some english at school. I guess I was around 7-8 by then.

A couple of years later the family moved to The Netherlands again (different city though :wink2:) where I attended the English section of an International school, and that is where I learned it properly.

So at that time I had 4 languages going at the same time: Catalan at home, Spanish with certain members of my family who are spanish speaking, like my grandma, Dutch in real life, and English at school.

Later on I went to German lessons and also did some French, but I am extremely rusty on them as I haven't spoken them for many years. Even my Dutch suffered a lot!!

So I guess I'm back to Spanish/Catalan/English now.

That is my story :naughty::thumb_yello:.

:roftl: You know what? I always thought you were born British! You speak English so well!

My first language is Finnish, second English, third Swedish and I have been learning a bit of French and Spanish during the past year, so I understand them to certain extent although I couldn't speak much. I even know a few words of Russian, which I have learned just by watching a Russian TV show.

I started studying English when I was ten. And I must say that I didn't really start learning it until I suddenly started listening to loads of music at the age of 17. I just started absorbing loads of words by reading lyrics. But I didn't really speak English until I went to England for the first time last July. After that I had to go there over and over again, you know why, haha! I was never a language freak, but I became one when I took more classes, especially speaking classes. And my time on here has definitely improved my writing skills too.

So thank you to all of you for making my English skills better! You have really been a great help and I admire that fact the we have so many different nationalities here who have a common language.

My parents speak English a little and siblings can speak it well I suppose. We don't speak English at home, but we have a great educational system in Finland, so it's easy to study languages. English is mandatory at primary school which takes six years, and we have to study Swedish for three years. I'm the most international member of my family, having traveled a lot and found new friends around the world. :)

Well, English was my second language as well. I don't actually remember when I started learning it, must've been in the 2nd or 3rd grade. :blink: So basically I've been learning it for about 10 years, I think. My mum and granny have learned English too, but they can't speak it, only understand it a bit. My mum knows more words though, cause there are so many movies and tv shows in English and she watches those. I am totally in love with English though and I'm gonna go to uni this year!! *horror movie screams* I am a bit scared, yeah. But anyway, what I wanted to say is that I'm gonna be studying English language and culture. And well literature and most the studies will be in English! I cannot wait!

My third language was Russian, but despite the lessons at school for about 7-8 years I can't say I can speak it. I do understand some of it and can read as well, fluently, but without exactly understanding what I'm reading. :naughty: I've also learned German for a year, and it's the same story with it - can read fluently, but don't understand most of it. I can make some simple sentences though and understand basic German....kind of.

I am totally obsessed with languages though. I have "language phases". A few years ago I was really fascinated by Swedish, after visiting Sweden. So I bought a little book for myself and I could make some sentences and knew all the numbers up to one million, but since I have nowhere to use it, I have forgotten most of it.

I also had a Hebrew phase. I learned the alphabet and didn't find it difficult, until I realised that they don't use that "dotted" version, where dots are used as vowels. Now I think it's too much for me to learn it all by myself. :naughty:

Now I'm having a Spanish phase. I know many words and phrases, mostly thanks to my granny who is watching soap operas everyday, so I can hear a lot of Spanish in the background. :bleh:

When I was younger I had a very-very short Finnish phase as well and I can feel that soon I'll be having a French phase. :naughty:

I would prefer being able to speak a language properly though, not knowing bits of different ones. But maybe I'm just not that determined and persistant. Oh well....one day...one day I will learn another language properly.

I love languages. So interesting. :wub2:

So you're not becoming my assistant archaeologist anymore? :no::sad:

:crybaby: Doesn't look like it. I was thinking about archaeology as well and I love love love it, but I would have had an exam in History and I'm not that good at it.

You can still let me follow you around and pretend to be an archaeologist though. :tears:

:crybaby: Doesn't look like it. I was thinking about archaeology as well and I love love love it, but I would have had an exam in History and I'm not that good at it.

You can still let me follow you around and pretend to be an archaeologist though. :tears:

:crybaby: Buuuaaaaaaaaaaaa... You did the right thing though, if you're not very good at History. And of course you can follow me around, there's always work to do in a dig:naughty:

:crybaby: Buuuaaaaaaaaaaaa... You did the right thing though, if you're not very good at History. And of course you can follow me around, there's always work to do in a dig:naughty:

I'll come and lift a rock. From one place to another. 10 times. That would be a lot of help. :naughty:

Haven't talked to you in ages. Boo hoo. *sobs*

I'll come and lift a rock. From one place to another. 10 times. That would be a lot of help. :naughty:

Haven't talked to you in ages. Boo hoo. *sobs*

Yeah, that'd be a great help!:roftl:

My freakin' connection won't let me log in msn :mad3: Miss you too :tears:

Yeah, that'd be a great help!:roftl:

My freakin' connection won't let me log in msn :mad3: Miss you too :tears:

I aim to please! :D

Maybe I'll write you a message on myspace. And then you could do the same. Just to catch up and all. Otherwise soon you'll be like "Nicole who??" :naughty:

• 2 months later...

Ok, guys, I'll write what follows for the second time. I wrote a novel and, I don't know what happened, but I deleted and lost everything :crybaby:. Erm. Please read my second novel? lol:naughty:

This is a very interesting thread!!!

My first language is French. I have started learning English in the 8th grade (I was about 14). It's late, I know, but Swiss people have to learn German first... When I was in high school, I chose English as my main subject (I had 4 hours a week, for three years) and I really enjoyed it! So, I decided to continue, and I'm now studying English language and literature at university!

I spent one month in Cambridge, for a language course, and that was GREAT!!! I improved my speaking skills a lot, and I needed it:naughty:I really want to spend more time in England. If I'm lucky enough, when I'm 21, I'll teach French for 8 months in England. This would be useful both for my English and my future career, since I want to become a French and English teacher in high school:wink2:

I've always loved English, I don't really know why... But I've been used to hearing it since a very young age, for my parents spoke in English when they didn't want my brother and me to understand what they were talking about:naughty:. And I also watched some cartoons in English, cause they didn't exist in French then. I guess that did something. I also love the USA and England. I guess liking a country makes you like the language that is being spoken there. I'd like to see Australia, too ^^.

I love LEARNING English, discovering new idioms and expressions and learning new words. My dream is to speak like a native! I cannot help drooling when I watch English movies and hear natives speak. Harry Potter, for eg. I'm literally glued to the TV, just to be sure I won't miss a word! I love the actors' accent, their way to speak, their intonation. Then, I try to imitate them and my parents get bored lol.

And when I hear English people on the train!! loool I stop my mp3 to listen to them lol. I can't help it.

As you have guessed already, both my parents know English. My father knows it almost perfectly. He spent 2 years in California and still reads a lot in English. My mother's English is not as perfect, but it's good too. My brother has started learning English when he was 14, like me, and he's planning to study it at uni, like me ^^.

But English is not the only language I like. I speak Italian, a bit (I've studied it during three years, in high school). I think it's a beautiful language. I'm supposed to speak German, but it's such a hard language! Even after 9 years of studying it, my German is crap:thumbdown:I'd like to know Spanish, but I'm far to lazy to learn it lol. I'm trying to learn Russian now (by myself), but I don't have much hope:naughty:

Languages are magical... I don't really know how to express that... But sometimes, during my English lectures, I realise I understand what my teacher is saying without making any effort and that impresses me! I sometimes dream in English! And when I'm on the messenger, I don't realise when I'm writing in English or in French! And I even THINK in English sometimes. And loose my French lol. Has that ever happened to you?; you don't know a word in your own language, but it comes in another? It happens with me lol. More and more often.

I like that.

just wanted to say i read your novel erm..post:naughty::bleh:

and i like it!

that happens to me too, And when i think in English And loose my Turkish i feel like i'm betraying my own language:blink:

maybe it's just me:roftl:

just wanted to say i read your novel erm..post:naughty::bleh:

and i like it!

that happens to me too, And when i think in English And loose my Turkish i feel like i'm betraying my own language:blink:

maybe it's just me:roftl:

Oh, no, I don't feel I'm betraying my language, I'm rather happy because it's a sign my English gets better and better:roftl:

Happy you like my novel lool.

Okay , well im from Mexico , so obviously my native language is Spanish and I studied English since Kindergarden and stop taking english at 9th Grade , I think I have a pretty good english and its funny cause I Improve it from Music, Movies and the internet and stuff like that , my brother knows english too and my mom and my dad , just a little bit :thumb_yello:

Okay , well im from Mexico , so obviously my native language is Spanish and I studied English since Kindergarden and stop taking english at 9th Grade , I think I have a pretty good english and its funny cause I Improve it from Music, Movies and the internet and stuff like that , my brother knows english too and my mom and my dad , just a little bit :thumb_yello:

Yeah, I guess movies and the internet are good ways to improve one's English. You read it, hear it and learn things without really noticing it!

I have learned many things on here. Mostly expressions of the "real life".

Yeah, I guess movies and the internet are good ways to improve one's English. You read it, hear it and learn things without really noticing it!

I have learned many things on here. Mostly expressions of the "real life".

Yeah , also I love interacting with new people and you catch up with slangs and expressions. Hey I wish I could speak french I love Yelle :bleh:

Yeah , also I love interacting with new people and you catch up with slangs and expressions. Hey I wish I could speak french I love Yelle :bleh:

And I wish I could speak Spanish:naughty:

I looooove Orishas:mf_lustslow:

So if there's one thing that MFC really opened my eyes to, it's the fact that so many people all over the world who speak another language natively, but have made the effort to learn English - and have learned it well enough to be able to communicate with native English speakers very, very well.

I find it particularly impressive because where I am in Western Canada, learning additional languages is not given much priority. So I'm fascinated by people who make it a priority.

So tell me - if English is not your first language, how did you learn it? How old were you when you began learning English? Are you still taking classes to improve your English? What's your native language? And, do your parents/brothers/sisters speak English?

haha I'm probably the last one answering these questions... decapitate me if you want :P.

I've been studying english since... 3rd grade i think. I was nine when I started. Now I'm eighteen and guess I've improved a bit :P. In school we had classes until we were 18 I guess. English is the world's biggest language, and if you want a deep understanding of the world I guess you have to learn it. Almost all of the "narrower" scientific litterature is in english.

All of my friends speak english. My parents and my grandparents do too, I guess. I can express myself tolerably, but sometimes grammar is hard. It would be really nice to have the same instant feeling for english grammar, as the one I have in swedish. Often I cannot "hear" when it sould be is or are, och which or what :fisch:. It's sooooooo annoying not to know :P.

my native language is swedish, spoken by 10 million people or so. norwegian and danish is also quite easy to understand. I love swedish and I'm gooder than most of my age in it... but I would rahter be good in english :P.

I read quite a lot of english litterature. once I tried wuthering heights but that was OVER the limit :P. 19th century is way too advanced, still.

well! My native language is Spanish, I started learning English since I was seven at private lessons. Then my parents moved me too a bilingual school when I was 11. All our classes are in english except spanish and social studies, and all our teachers are American, european or canadian.

Im in 10th I think i can speak English pretty well:D! my older sister speaks English and French, my little sis speaks a little bit of Englishshe's too young and my parents don't speak English.

• 1 year later...

Basically, when I was three years old, I was already watching films which were in English, for example, I watched Sound of Music OVER and OVER again, until the tape broke, lol. I started singing before I started talking. :roftl: So when I was 5, my parents and I went to the USA, to stay at out relatives' place. My mum told me, that I was completely quiet for two weeks, I didn't say a word. Then, I started talking in English. Just like that. Weird, I know. O_O

At school, we started having English in fourth grade, I think? Everybody wanted to sit with me for some unknown reason. :teehee: And we're still having English classes, yes.

My native language is Estonian. [: It's actually a beautiful language, though a lot of people have said that's it's so difficult. :blink:

My mum is definitely speaks English fluently. My dad and two brothers can understand it perfectly, and can speak in English a bit, too. [:

Edited by TheLollipopGirl

I'm from the French province in Canada, so obviously my first language is French. Started Englsih at school, when I was around 10. Watched a lot of TV, translated songs I liked, went to English summer school. I studied finance in university and most of my book were in English. English is my main language at work since I started working in 1996.

and travelled a lot to the USA

I'm Mexican and I speak Spanish, the truth is that English is my third language, my mother tongue is Spanish, my second language Italian , I even took classes to improve my English, but I study more than one language at this time, study Dutchman and a little Russian

My parents speak English, my father is fond of the Dutchman and my mother speaks French very well =) but me not haha