Freddies English Teaching Course

I would tend to say Easter holiday - but I don't think we are too fussy in English. What is the whole sentence?

The teacher said: "We'll do that after the Easter holiday." I learned years ago that it should be holidays :dunno:

The teacher said: "We'll do that after the Easter holiday." I learned years ago that it should be holidays :dunno:

You can use "holiday" to refer to the whole period you are away, so several days away can be one holiday.

Technically it should probably be "holidays", but as I said, the English don't worry about it :naughty:

You can use "holiday" to refer to the whole period you are away, so several days away can be one holiday.

Technically it should probably be "holidays", but as I said, the English don't worry about it :naughty:

thanks for clarifying, I wasn't entirely sure myself lol.

Well, Americans say "Vacation" rather than "Holiday". A Holiday - such as Christmas or Easter - is taken from the word "Holy Day".

However, when Brits actually go ON holiday, like abroad, I have a tendancy to say "I'm going on holiday" or "I'm going on a two week holiday" or something. So really, I guess the word "holiday" is kinda used in the wrong context really, considering where the word originates, but I believe it was the Americans who came up with the word "Vacation" and it's not a word us Brits use.

The only time I hear someone saying "Holidays" is when a teacher may say "You have a lot of homework during the holidays."

thanks for clarifying, I wasn't entirely sure myself lol.

Well, Americans say "Vacation" rather than "Holiday". A Holiday - such as Christmas or Easter - is taken from the word "Holy Day".

However, when Brits actually go ON holiday, like abroad, I have a tendancy to say "I'm going on holiday" or "I'm going on a two week holiday" or something. So really, I guess the word "holiday" is kinda used in the wrong context really, considering where the word originates, but I believe it was the Americans who came up with the word "Vacation" and it's not a word us Brits use.

The only time I hear someone saying "Holidays" is when a teacher may say "You have a lot of homework during the holidays."

Or you get to write the dreaded essay "What I did on my holidays" :naughty:

I know it's been answered to death, but I think a buttie was originally a slice of bread, buttered and folded over. To keep the hungry kids quiet.

There were sugar butties up north and butties with condensed milk spread on them. And, of course, jam butties...

As we got more prosperous, we put chips and then bacon in.

Baked beans butties are very yummy!

We (Dutchies) call our slices of bread boterhammen. Boter means butter. But we call it that already with nothing on it. What do you want on your boterham?

The sandwich was invented by the Earl of Sandwich (what a surprise), or more properly one of his servants, when he wanted something to eat quick and ended up with a slice of cold meat between two slices of bread.

"Buttie" is from bread and butter; adding fillings came later :naughty:.

And Earl Grey invented the tea to go with the sandwiches...:wink2:

Probably, I have written something bad...

No - it wasn't bad, Lena. It's a word that no-one is sure how it came to be considered "bad". It might be a from a religious term like "blood of Jesus" or it might mean literally covered with blood, or it might be derived from an old Dutch word. It started being thought of as impolite maybe about 100 years ago. Today I doubt if most people would think of it as a swearword at all :dunno:

No - it wasn't bad, Lena. It's a word that no-one is sure how it came to be considered "bad". It might be a from a religious term like "blood of Jesus" or it might mean literally covered with blood, or it might be derived from an old Dutch word. It started being thought of as impolite maybe about 100 years ago. Today I doubt if most people would think of it as a swearword at all :dunno:

Clearly... It is sounding as Russian. Also is similar for a use as that Russian word. And Russian word is old. I think, that foreigners, hearing our word have noticed this is similar on sounding. It is our bad tradition to learn to foreigners to Russian bad words. And this first word which they learn... Such conclusion arises...

Edited by Lena

Clearly... It is sounding as Russian. Also is similar for a use as that Russian word. And Russian word is old. I think, that foreigners, hearing our word have noticed this is similar on sounding. It is our bad tradition to learn to foreigners to Russian bad words. And this first word which they learn... Such conclusion arises...

:naughty: It is more interesting to learn the bad words first. Children especially seem to learn the bad words very quickly.

What word?

:naughty: It is more interesting to learn the bad words first. Children especially seem to learn the bad words very quickly.

Children's brains are like sponges and aren't accustomed as to what's right or wrong yet. And those who DO know what's right and wrong say it just to be cheeky. Kids like naughty things (unfortunately :naughty:) and besides, everyone around them is like a role model. If the big guys say it, then it must be okay. Obviously it isn't, but kids don't necessarily know that. If you grow up in that kind of environment then that's what you're gonna learn. It's sad. I didn't know swear words existed till I was about 10. (I was very sheltered lol :aah:)

We (Dutchies) call our slices of bread boterhammen. Boter means butter. But we call it that already with nothing on it. What do you want on your boterham?

What is 'boterham' in English? Is there one word for it? Or is it just 'a slice of bread'?

What is 'boterham' in English? Is there one word for it? Or is it just 'a slice of bread'?

it's just "a slice of bread" in Englisch..:biggrin2:

Hmmm... boterham met hagelslag..:wub2:

Hagelslag_korrels.jpg

Is that bread with sprinkles on it? :eek:

Well I hope so - we would call them "hundreds and thousands"

(:mf_rosetinted: otherwise they look like little black and white maggots)

Nobody eats that .. really :shocked:

We do.. :naughty:

(remembers the last time she posted that, MFC went down for the rest of the day..:fisch:)

It's a slice of bread sprinkled with little pieces of chocolate..:wub2:

and no, it's not eaten as a dessert, but as breakfast or lunch..:biggrin2: