Freddies English Teaching Course

OOOOHH!!! Thank you!! And now only one more question... is it the same (in that sentence) to "bit" than to "beat"?? I know what those verbs mean, but since you used "beat" I take the meaning of the sentence it´s the same?

Yes, like swear words often are, it's used as an emphasis. Beating and biting are already causing injury but to throw in "the sh*t out of" means it's extra harsh I suppose. I think you're going to most commonly hear this used with "beat" and "kick". One doesn't often have a reason to bite the sh*t out of something or someone :naughty:

A maybe silly question... Is there any difference in the pronuntiation of the "a" in the words "can" and "can´t"?? Is it possible that in "can´t" it sounds a bit more like an "e"???

Yes, there is a difference. I would say the "a" in "can't" is a long "a" - sounds like "ah" (or even "ar" :naughty:).

I'm sure one of the experts will explain it properly.

A maybe silly question... Is there any difference in the pronuntiation of the "a" in the words "can" and "can´t"?? Is it possible that in "can´t" it sounds a bit more like an "e"???

The vowel sound in can is short /a/, in can't it is /ar/ = carn't.

(There is a word cant which means insincere statements - nothing to do with can/can't.)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi :bye: so I was looking up the word "legit" on the dictionary but it's not there! Can you help me?

Here it is: legit

If you describe a person or thing as legit, you mean that they are in accordance with the law or with a particular set of rules and regulations.

INFORMAL adj usu v-link ADJ

I checked him out, he's legit..., What is the point of going legit and getting married?

source: COLLINS

Here it is: legit

If you describe a person or thing as legit, you mean that they are in accordance with the law or with a particular set of rules and regulations.

INFORMAL adj usu v-link ADJ

I checked him out, he's legit..., What is the point of going legit and getting married?

source: COLLINS

so like if I say someone is legit, that means that person always follow rules or like that?