Freddies English Teaching Course

Does anyone know where the English word Posh comes from?

There is a funny discussion going on in a big newspaper in Sweden and the latest suggestion is that it comes from something that was written on the ticket back in the days when Englishmen used to travel by boat to India. To point out that a wealthy passenger should have the best possible place on the boat it meant: Port out, starboard home.

Can that really be the truth?:teehee:

That's currently believed to be an urban myth :naughty:

I heard the same etymology for the word "posh" as Sienna.

Here's a link http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=posh . The ferry operator I work for is even quoted in the first paragraph LOL

Yes I've heard it many times too and I don't recall that it's ever been disputed.

Thanks!:thumb_yello:

That's currently believed to be an urban myth :naughty:

So...what do you think it comes from?:wink2:

Does anyone know where the English word Posh comes from?

There is a funny discussion going on in a big newspaper in Sweden and the latest suggestion is that it comes from something that was written on the ticket back in the days when Englishmen used to travel by boat to India. To point out that a wealthy passenger should have the best possible place on the boat it meant: Port out, starboard home.

Can that really be the truth?:teehee:

Oh, it´s really interesting! I have no idea though LOL

What I remember is how in school we were told that "pub" came from "public house" and OK came from a war (I can´t remember which war) and at the end of the day, soldiers were talking among them saying "0 killed" (meaning they all had survived).

Oh, it´s really interesting! I have no idea though LOL

What I remember is how in school we were told that "pub" came from "public house" and OK came from a war (I can´t remember which war) and at the end of the day, soldiers were talking among them saying "0 killed" (meaning they all had survived).

"pub" is definitely short for public house, but I've never heard that explanation for OK before.

A question...

If this sentence is right:

I want you to do it

What about this one?:

I need you to do it.

They are both fine grammatically. The 'need' verb is more pressing than 'want'. My son, when young learnt that 'I want . . . ' didn't get him anything but it was much harder to resist 'I need . . . '

A question...

If this sentence is right:

I want you to do it

What about this one?:

I need you to do it.

They are both correct. "I want" infers that whatever they are asking for is desired, not required. "I need" means that (in the simplest sense) that whatever they are asking for is required for the situation.:wink2:

They are both fine grammatically. The 'need' verb is more pressing than 'want'. My son, when young learnt that 'I want . . . ' didn't get him anything but it was much harder to resist 'I need . . . '

They are both correct. "I want" infers that whatever they are asking for is desired, not required. "I need" means that (in the simplest sense) that whatever they are asking for is required for the situation.:wink2:

Thank you very much.

So (yeah, a need question again) are these sentences both correct?:

- I need you to clean the window.

- I need you clean the window.

Cause at first I always thought that the first one was correct but then, I see more often the second one...

Cause at first I always thought that the first one was correct but then, I see more often the second one...

No the second one is incorrect and I can't imagine a native English speaker saying that under any circumstances. Where are you seeing this?

No the second one is incorrect and I can't imagine a native English speaker saying that under any circumstances. Where are you seeing this?

LOL on the net... can´t remember where exactly, but that´s why I asked cause I thought it was incorrect.

I´ve been reading blogs about Sherlock lately, maybe it was there when I saw that... not sure though....

Maybe it's a typo then because it's just not the kind of mistake anyone would make in speech, not even a child or someone who is illiterate.

Or maybe many of those blogs were written by non-English speakers... I randomly chose them after a google research....

Cause the only other thing I´m reading in English now is "The Land of Painted Caves" and I´m pretty sure it´s quite well written :aah:

Thank you very much.

Yeah, the second one is very incorrect. The 'to' in a sentence like that is required.

Edited by Micah
The O and I keys are WAY too close together

LOL sometimes I´m not sure when you English speakers make a typo or it´s just a new word I´ve never seen before :aah:

HeeHee! I even read it through once to make sure I didn't have any typos.:blink: Apparently, I missed one. But then again, I'm like the Queen of Typos, so a few can be expected. :roftl:

Thank you very much.

"to clean" is actually the whole verb, so not including "to" isn't proper :cheerful_h4h: Also, putting another word between the two words isn't proper grammar, but English speakers actually do it fairly frequently :bleh:

"to clean" is actually the whole verb, so not including "to" isn't proper :cheerful_h4h: Also, putting another word between the two words isn't proper grammar, but English speakers actually do it fairly frequently :bleh:

Ah the split infinitive :naughty:, as demonstrated by Star Trek, "to boldly go".