Freddies English Teaching Course

Please,can anyone tell me what's the difference between "I have had"(I've had) and "I had"? :blush-anim-cl:

I have had is Present Perfect and I had is Past Simple... I think....

EDIT This is how we call those verbs here in Spain.... not sure if it works the same way all over the world.... :aah:

EDIT This is how we call those verbs here in Spain.... not sure if it works the same way all over the world.... :aah:

it's same here too :thumb_yello:

Works the same way here (Israel). I hate perfects!!:sneaky2:

Thanks! :thumb_yello: we have Past Simple but Present Perfect not. :teehee:

I was kinda mixing up past perfect continuous and present perfect continuous ones:aah:

Yeah tell me about it :aah:

Hebrew is much worse... the whole verb changes.. "ing", "ed" is piece of cake!

lucky it's my first language :roftl:

Yeah tell me about it :aah:

Hebrew is much worse... the whole verb changes.. "ing", "ed" is piece of cake!

lucky it's my first language :roftl:

same with Georgian! :roftl: glad I don't have to study it as another language :naughty: English is even easier :aah:

What's the difference between "those" and "these"?

I think it is mostly to do with distance. If you had books in your hand you would say "Take these books to the library for me." If the books were on a table 2 metres away you would say "Take those books to the library for me."

If you understand the difference between this/that, it is the same.

so guys q3 task 3 was wrong and the very last one. :aah:

it was 'I too wanted...' :blink:

here I am again :aah:

here's the pics of the tasks and the red ones are what I wrote. and pleasee can anybody tell me what's wrong? :teehee:

qwasedrftyhujik.png

wsedrftyhujiko.png

Well, as an English speaker I think they are all wrong and it should really be "I wanted to go with them too, but they left me behind" :bleh:

Well, as an English speaker I think they are all wrong and it should really be "I wanted to go with them too, but they left me behind" :bleh:

I thought that too:roftl: but I couldn't choose that place -.-

Interesting. . .

"I too wanted to go" is very formal and old-fashioned (not wrong but . . . ) and it's not what we say in spoken English. We would say what silver said :)

Saying 'they left me behind too' means that someone else was left behind when they went.

So it depends on context.

Edited by Ruth

I don't really know how to use the word "ain't". I don't even get what it means

If you are not a native English speaker don't ever use this word. It's such incorrect grammar that it can only be used ironically or perhaps poetically like Mika's "special yes, but lucky ain't". But even in Mika's case there were people who found this line really bothersome.

Yes, it's somehow worse than slang, it's completely wrong in British English and - sorry - it's a marker of poor education. (Except when Mika sings it. . . )

Why some people uses "how's you day" instead of "how's your day",is that correct? Because in my language it isn't.

Where did you hear that? Because it's not correct in my language either. :naughty:

Why some people uses "how's you day" instead of "how's your day",is that correct? Because in my language it isn't.

Where did you hear that? Because it's not correct in my language either. :naughty:

Not correct in British English either :roftl:

Yes, it's somehow worse than slang, it's completely wrong in British English and - sorry - it's a marker of poor education. (Except when Mika sings it. . . )

I never use the word "ain't"

I went to a french private school and the nuns told us it was a big :no: :no:

Sorry, but I think that's rot. I use it (as Christiine describes, or for emphasis) and so do a lot of other people I consider articulate. Might be getting a bit dated though

Not correct in British English either :roftl:

I read it here,on various threads,for several times,AND coming from native English speakers :blush-anim-cl:

Edited by krysady

Does anyone know where the English word Posh comes from?

There is a funny discussion going on in a big newspaper in Sweden and the latest suggestion is that it comes from something that was written on the ticket back in the days when Englishmen used to travel by boat to India. To point out that a wealthy passenger should have the best possible place on the boat it meant: Port out, starboard home.

Can that really be the truth?:teehee:

Does anyone know where the English word Posh comes from?

There is a funny discussion going on in a big newspaper in Sweden and the latest suggestion is that it comes from something that was written on the ticket back in the days when Englishmen used to travel by boat to India. To point out that a wealthy passenger should have the best possible place on the boat it meant: Port out, starboard home.

Can that really be the truth?:teehee:

sorry i have no clue if that's true :dunno:

webster's dictionary says 'origin unknown' :aah: