Freddies English Teaching Course

Mika tweeted something along these lines:

Fear not the record will be done

So... fear not is something like... "don´t be afraid"... ?? Is it correct? I mean, Is it something English do while writing or also when speaking? (and now I think I should have typed "anything" instead of "something" cause I was taught that in interrogative or negative sentences, we can´t use "something", but still, it sounds good this way :aah:)

It´s the same when in Toy Boy Mika says "I no longer see" and he used that in a tweet not long ago... That´s not what we are taught. We are taught to say "I don´t see it anymore" or "I don´t see it any longer". Is what Mika uses poetic or a normal way to do that?

Am I a pain in your arses?:mf_rosetinted:

Mika tweeted something along these lines:

Fear not the record will be done

So... fear not is something like... "don´t be afraid"... ?? Is it correct? I mean, Is it something English do while writing or also when speaking? (and now I think I should have typed "anything" instead of "something" cause I was taught that in interrogative or negative sentences, we can´t use "something", but still, it sounds good this way :aah:)

It´s the same when in Toy Boy Mika says "I no longer see" and he used that in a tweet not long ago... That´s not what we are taught. We are taught to say "I don´t see it anymore" or "I don´t see it any longer". Is what Mika uses poetic or a normal way to do that?

as far as i know 'fear not' is in fact correct...a little antiquated if anything, but means the same as 'have no fear'...

that bolded part is correct as well - should be 'something' not 'anything' :teehee:

i don't see a problem with 'i no longer see' either...:aah: i have used it in a very non-poetic way..:teehee:

It is a poetic way of saying he no longer sees anything - he is blind. "I don't see it any more" would refer to a specific thing you used to see but don't now. But "I don't see any more" would again suggest someone who has become blind.

I think "fear not" is somewhat poetic but it's not random. In other words Mika didn't just make it up himself. It's something we've all heard before. Perhaps it was a quote or it's just an old style of speech that people will employ in certain contexts (it sounds a bit dramatic, Shakespearean).

John Kennedy gave a famous speech:

And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country.

My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.

If he had chosen more common language like "don't ask what your country can do for you," it would have come across as a bit rude and dismissive. But instead the speech was inspirational.

• 1 month later...

There´s something that always confusses me. The use of "than/then"

I was taught that in sentences like this one:

"It was going better than ever" we needed to use "than". But it´s been a long time since I´ve seen many people using "then" instead.

In Spanish, "than" is a conjunction (oh well, not "than" itself, but its translation, the word "que") and "then" (I mean "luego, entonces") it´s an adverb.

Can you please explain it to me??

There´s something that always confusses me. The use of "than/then"

I was taught that in sentences like this one:

"It was going better than ever" we needed to use "than". But it´s been a long time since I´ve seen many people using "then" instead.

In Spanish, "than" is a conjunction (oh well, not "than" itself, but its translation, the word "que") and "then" (I mean "luego, entonces") it´s an adverb.

Can you please explain it to me??

You are right. The use of 'then' in that context is incorrect, but I think quite a common mistake.

(I think. :mf_rosetinted:)

Well if they're doing that it's incorrect. Just like people say "your" when they mean "you're".

My advice is don't learn English from people chatting on the internet because they are too lazy to think about what they are writing or make typos. :naughty:

Here's an explanation of when you use then or than and it's probably similar to what you learned already.

http://grammartips.homestead.com/than.html

You are right. The use of 'then' in that context is incorrect, but I think quite a common mistake.

(I think. :mf_rosetinted:)

That´s what I thought, but since I saw some people who are quite correct at English most of the times, I started to doubt. Thanx.

Well if they're doing that it's incorrect. Just like people say "your" when they mean "you're".

My advice is don't learn English from people chatting on the internet because they are too lazy to think about what they are writing or make typos. :naughty:

Here's an explanation of when you use then or than and it's probably similar to what you learned already.

http://grammartips.homestead.com/than.html

Exactly what I was taught.

Sadly learning from people chatting on the internet is exactly what I do :mf_rosetinted:. I still try to apply the common sense before using something new :aah:, but not long ago I read my first comments on here and ... oh my God, my English totally sucked at those times... (not that now it is fantastic, but I think I´ve improved a bit ) and all I´ve learnt comes mostly from here.

Thanks.

Sadly learning from people chatting on the internet is exactly what I do :mf_rosetinted:. I still try to apply the common sense before using something new :aah:, but not long ago I read my first comments on here and ... oh my God, my English totally sucked at those times... (not that now it is fantastic, but I think I´ve improved a bit ) and all I´ve learnt comes mostly from here.

Thanks.

I think your English is really good, Rosa :thumb_yello:

That´s what I thought, but since I saw some people who are quite correct at English most of the times, I started to doubt. Thanx.

Exactly what I was taught.

Thanks.

I've improved my English here too :naughty:

I think your English is really good, Rosa :thumb_yello:

Your check is coming :mf_rosetinted:

Thank you. All I´ve learnt I owe it all to you English speakers on here. I always try to "copy" many of your expressions and your way of talking :aah: (I mean...typing xD) to sound better.

Ok, I was reading the updates to one thread and I read this:

(from Christine)

I really enjoyed Star Academie even more than I expected to because it was something different

Do we need to put that "to" so the sentence makes sense? If so... is there a rule? I mean, I perfectly understand the sentence without the "to". Is it correct if we don´t put it?

Ok, I was reading the updates to one thread and I read this:

(from Christine)

I really enjoyed Star Academie even more than I expected to because it was something different

Do we need to put that "to" so the sentence makes sense? If so... is there a rule? I mean, I perfectly understand the sentence without the "to". Is it correct if we don´t put it?

I personally would not have put the to because I think the to in the middle of the sentence should break it into two like "I liked Star Academie more than I expected to. It was so different." There is no rule that I am aware of, but I think it is just a matter of sentence fluency in this case. :thumb_yello:

I personally would not have put the to because I think the to in the middle of the sentence should break it into two like "I liked Star Academie more than I expected to. It was so different." There is no rule that I am aware of, but I think it is just a matter of sentence fluency in this case. :thumb_yello:

Yes, and Rosa this is what I mean about chatting on the internet. I do try to proofread to catch horrendous mistakes but I'm still more conversational on a forum and am not writing an essay. I would use the "to" if I was speaking (because that is my habit) so that's what I wrote.

Anyway Rosa your English is really good now. I am working on my French but I guess you need to be talking to people all the time and I haven't gotten that far yet.

Thank you!! It´s clear now!!

Yes, and Rosa this is what I mean about chatting on the internet. I do try to proofread to catch horrendous mistakes but I'm still more conversational on a forum and am not writing an essay. I would use the "to" if I was speaking (because that is my habit) so that's what I wrote.

Anyway Rosa your English is really good now. I am working on my French but I guess you need to be talking to people all the time and I haven't gotten that far yet.

Thanks I think I get it now. And yes, I know about my English, I´ve been in different gigs and I got to understand everybody and make everybody understand me (less Wonka... don´t ask me why... :aah:). I just love this language and want to learn a bit more every day. Thanks!