Freddies English Teaching Course

"it could work both ways" OR "it can work both ways" ? or works? :)

Basically it's a difference in tense

"It could work both ways" = both of the ways suggested might work

"It can work both ways" = both of the ways will work

And yes you can say "It works both ways" :naughty:

Confusing, huh? It depends on the context it is being used in.

Basically it's a difference in tense

"It could work both ways" = both of the ways suggested might work

"It can work both ways" = both of the ways will work

And yes you can say "It works both ways" :naughty:

Confusing, huh? It depends on the context it is being used in.

wow, thanks!:thumb_yello:

yes it is :naughty:

it's like "yeah it makes sense. wait......" :blink: and than you're lost:aah:

Just a title for facebook album :mf_rosetinted:

wow, thanks!:thumb_yello:

yes it is :naughty:

it's like "yeah it makes sense. wait......" :blink: and than you're lost:aah:

Just a title for facebook album :mf_rosetinted:

Yes, the more you think about it the harder it gets. :naughty:

When someone say "screw it", does it mean "just do it"?

:aah: I´ve just heard it like "Don´t screw it!" which means "don´t f*ck it up!" (or at least that´s what I´d understand). But don´t listen to me, I´m not English and since most of the time I´m talking to people who use slang, for me the word "screw" has a sex connotation :mf_rosetinted:

Edited by basicamenteyo

On the other hand (or "in" the other hand....whatever), today I was talking to someone and that person asked me to do something and I unconsciousless replied "I´d love to!!"

So here it is the "to" at the end of the sentence again. :mf_rosetinted:

I don´t know why but there are many sentences that "sound" right in my head whilst others sound "weird". Maybe it´s because I´ve been reading lot of English lately...dunno... But this sentence "I´d love to!" sounds pretty good in my head :aah:

And now you are allowed to ruin my common sense telling me that I´m totally wrong here :mf_rosetinted:

:aah: I´ve just heard it like "Don´t screw it!" which means "don´t f*ck it up!" (or at least that´s what I´d understand). But don´t listen to me, I´m not English and since most of the time I´m talking to people who use slang, for me the word "screw" has a sex connotation :mf_rosetinted:

When i say Screw it.. i mean it as "F*ck it" yeah.. :teehee:

I guess it's like 'who cares? I'm young, free and wild. I am a crazy thanggg. I can do what I want. It doesn't control me.' :mf_rosetinted:

Throwing caution to the wind.

:mikacool:

It literally means 'have sex with it.' But we won't go there. :mf_rosetinted:

And Rosa, you are right :teehee:

I guess it's like 'who cares? I'm young, free and wild. I am a crazy thanggg. I can do what I want. It doesn't control me.' :mf_rosetinted:

Throwing caution to the wind.

:mikacool:

It literally means 'have sex with it.' But we won't go there. :mf_rosetinted:

And Rosa, you are right :teehee:

Thanx!!

Not for not going to the sex subject... erm... ok, I´m done.:mf_rosetinted:

When i say Screw it.. i mean it as "F*ck it" yeah.. :teehee:

Yes it means "f*ck it", which is...don't worry about it anymore or I don't care. It's not as obscene as "f*ck it" but it's still not very polite language. :naughty:

:aah: I´ve just heard it like "Don´t screw it!" which means "don´t f*ck it up!" (or at least that´s what I´d understand).

Yes screw is an exact substitute for f*ck, so you would say "Don't screw it up", not "Don't screw it."

But this sentence "I´d love to!" sounds pretty good in my head :aah:

Yes it sounds pretty good. :naughty:

It's "on the other hand" as well, not "in the other hand".

Yes it means "f*ck it", which is...don't worry about it anymore or I don't care. It's not as obscene as "f*ck it" but it's still not very polite language. :naughty:

Yes screw is an exact substitute for f*ck, so you would say "Don't screw it up", not "Don't screw it."

Yes it sounds pretty good. :naughty:

It's "on the other hand" as well, not "in the other hand".

Oh, not very polite you say?:mikacool:

Can someone please tell my how you end letters, mails etc in English.

What's the difference between all the complimentary closes?

Some I know are

Best Regards

Sincerely

Thank you for concerning, etc.

But it really depends on who you're sending them to

Some I know are

Best Regards

Sincerely

Thank you for concerning, etc.

But it really depends on who you're sending them to

I think if it's business related you can't go wrong with best regards or kind regards or sincerely. There's no difference really because they don't actually mean anything IMO. It's just a formality :naughty:

My own personal habit at the moment is "kind regards" if I don't know them or just "thank you" if it's someone I'm interacting with regularly because chances are I am asking them to do something. :naughty:

I reserve "sincerely" for people who must think I'm sincere like the government. :lmfao: But it's not particularly formal I don't think and you can use it in any non-personal situation.

This is the standard in North America anyway. Brits may have some different input on it as I tend to think they are more formal than North Americans.

I think if it's business related you can't go wrong with best regards or kind regards or sincerely. There's no difference really because they don't actually mean anything IMO. It's just a formality :naughty:

My own personal habit at the moment is "kind regards" if I don't know them or just "thank you" if it's someone I'm interacting with regularly because chances are I am asking them to do something. :naughty:

I reserve "sincerely" for people who must think I'm sincere like the government. :lmfao: But it's not particularly formal I don't think and you can use it in any non-personal situation.

This is the standard in North America anyway. Brits may have some different input on it as I tend to think they are more formal than North Americans.

Thank you for straighten things out. Strangely enough didn't we learn those things at school. But now I know, so thanks again :thumb_yello:

Thank you for straighten things out. Strangely enough didn't we learn those things at school. But now I know, so thanks again :thumb_yello:

I actually learned this kind of thing in typing class, because it was very rare to have a PC in those days so it was assumed you were learning to type in order to create business correspondence (or write essays).

But now that everyone is emailing each other you just take cues from your company culture and the people you are corresponding with more than anything.

Actually there is a rule for formal letters. If you are writing to someone you don't know, so that you have to start the letter with "Dear Sir (or Madam)", the letter should end with "Yours faithfully". If you are writing to a person whose name you know -"Dear Mr Smith"- the letter should end with "Yours sincerely".

Email correspondence tends to be less formal, so this is where I would tend to use something like "Kind regards" if it was a business email to someone in another company.

I have problems knowing how to start emails to people I don't know :naughty:.

"Dear X" always seems too formal but "Hi X" is too chatty for sending an email to your Chief Executive. I usually end up putting just "X" :mf_rosetinted:

Actually there is a rule for formal letters. If you are writing to someone you don't know, so that you have to start the letter with "Dear Sir (or Madam)", the letter should end with "Yours faithfully". If you are writing to a person whose name you know -"Dear Mr Smith"- the letter should end with "Yours sincerely".

Really? You're meant to be faithful to someone you don't even know? :naughty: I don't think I've ever used that. My company's division doesn't even have letterhead so I avoid writing any kind of real letter at all costs anyway. If someone sends me a contract to be signed I just throw it in a return envelope. :naughty: Saving trees, you know. :mf_rosetinted:

"Dear X" always seems too formal but "Hi X" is too chatty for sending an email to your Chief Executive. I usually end up putting just "X" :mf_rosetinted:

I say "hi" unless I'm annoyed with them. Like trying to collect money for the umpteenth time. :teehee:

For some reason, this rhyme from goodness knows where (probably primary school :teehee:) popped into my head:

Since we met it's yours sincerely, faithfully we've never met; clearly.

It's kind of a struggling rhyme, but a rhyme nonetheless. :aah:

Edited by astor

Thank you, so there is in fact some rules, just thought it all depended on how well you knew the person you wrote the letter to. :aah:

For some reason, this rhyme from goodness knows where popped into my head:

Since we met it's yours sincerely, faithfully we've never met; clearly.

It's kind of a struggling rhyme, but a rhyme nonetheless. :aah:

Haha, I like it :aah:

• 2 weeks later...
Let´s see if Mika wants to turn me crazy or what...

lyrics:

"the last thing on my mind is to leave you"

"all I wanna do is make you happy"

so..... WITH, OR WITHOUT THE "TO"?? HUH, MIKA??? :sneaky2:

omg, I just thought about it :blink:

+11111111:teehee:

Let´s see if Mika wants to turn me crazy or what...

lyrics:

"the last thing on my mind is to leave you"

"all I wanna do is make you happy"

so..... WITH, OR WITHOUT THE "TO"?? HUH, MIKA??? :sneaky2:

Well, the second one may not be strictly grammatically correct, but it's colloquial English and certainly acceptable in a song.