The Australian Thread: Part Fourteen

Rainbow Sky

:roftl:

Goonie Dightey laydees!!

And Goonie Dightey HK! Hope that new thread hasn't driven you mad yet!! :insane:

And, Good Morning Silver!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha !! Nup ... tis still just a fantasy ... :wink2:

And it's also G'night from me gals !! :bye:

Aaaaaannnddd .... G'morning Silv .... :wub2: ..... & Boogie-Nana !!! :das::wink2:

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's time for bed................

*opens envelope*.......................

Kelzy..

:huglove:

Goodnight! :bye:

:lmao::lmfao:

Love it.

I never seem to be up when you Aussies are on anymore. :(

I guess it's like preparation for this next year. :mf_rosetinted:

G'night, those who are going to bed.

I was just randomly googling that His Dark Materials thing, I'm not finished yet, but I've been noticing some SERIOUS non-children's-story undertones and I wanted to confirm :naughty:

I found a hilarious post from someone replying to somone asking if they should read it to their 8 year old. It has a scarily blunt/accurate summary of Narnia, HP and HDM, if you've read any of them you have to read this: :naughty: (The person asking said their kid had read HP and Narnia already, btw)

http://boutell.livejournal.com/796241.html

It's complicated. they're brilliant, outstanding books. best young adult lit I've ever read and very, very good even if you drop the "young adult" qualifier. but at the end of the day, I'd say that the "young adult" part is critical. they're not for kids.

I see little similarity with Narnia or Harry Potter, which *are* basically for kids. Narnia is what you should give your kids if you want them to grow up to be jesus freaks, classical scholars, or lesbians (I know one *HUGE* Narnia fan who grew up to be all three - that White Witch seems to have been a seminal (pardon the expression) experience for her.). it's basic lessons are: "jesus is way cool", "be nice to the other kids", "it's ok and even good to be whimsical sometimes" and "dark colored people are bad". come to think of it, that last part really ****ing cheeses me off. those books blow and no one should read them.

Harry Potter is what you give your kids when you want them to grow up to be stock brokers. it's lessons are: "if you're from a famous family or one possessing hereditary advantages, you can get away with being a bit of a ****up but if you're not, you need to try really hard at school and make sure to get good grades so that you can mix with the elite", "sports are cool and nerds are ok but should probably be made fun of a bit anyway", "love your parents and respect your teachers", "courage and loyalty are really great" and "it's ok to be gay but only if you give up on actually doing anything about it when you're like 22 and remain celibate for the next 50 years". oh yeah, also: "money is good to have and if you don't have any, you should probably go be an entrepreneur and make some but you should also be generous with it to your friends" and "slavery sucks and no one should do it". oh well, two and a half out of seven ain't bad. there's lots of fun stuff in those books - I read every one and, until the second half of book seven, enjoyed them all. overall, I'd call them mostly harmless.

here are what you learn from the Dark Materials books: "your parents are somewhere between evil and amoral. they are lying to you and possibly trying to kill you", "you'll meet a lot of great friends in life, several of whom will be tortured and possibly die horribly", "nobody's on nobody's side", "god is evil and you should probably kill him", and "there's a hole in the ozone layer, the world is coming to an end, we're probably all completely doomed, but what the hell, you should probably try to help."

****IN' A! these books are subversive as hell and I think if everyone read them, the world would be at the very least a more honest place. and possibly there'd be some oligarchic heads doing some well-deserved rolling, and humanity might have a 1 or 2% higher chance of getting out of the 21st century alive.

but if I'd read that **** at 8, I'd probably have killed my parents and started shooting heroin by 9. so...like...maybe 12 or 13, by which point most kids are more or less at that point anyway, might be a better plan.

:boxed: My right click has stopped working...

Go to bed, OKD! :poke:

G'night Kelzy and HK (can't a girl lurk in peace?)

:poke: No! :naughty:

Sorry not in a very chatty mood tonight :no:

HolyMika_klein.jpg

That's okay, I've been off having fun in the new video thread :naughty:

Fine fine fine, I'm going - nighty-night! :bye:

OMG!! You did something RL??

Yes! Yes I did! And I have five minutes until I'm off to have a RL again! How revolutionary...It looks as though I'll be having more RL than MFC this summer. I'll sneak on when I can though...maybe I should make a 'goodbye-haha-fooled-you' thread just to go with the trend, actually.

:roftl: I want to activate her!!!

*growls*

hahahah I love that song!!

Hahahaha....

DanielleDanielleDanielleDanielleDanielleDanielleDanielleDanielleDanielleDanielle

DanielleDanielleDanielleDanielleDanielleDanielleDanielleDanielleDanielleDanielle

:bleh:

Nooooooooo...*covers ears*

I'm changing my name to Myrtle.

:shocked: It's not really all day, because you're on now.

Ah, but you see, it was 12:30 AM when I signed on. So it really was all day.

1. Fine *goes to look for torrents again* I didn't find any the other day though :boxed:

2. Not sure, I got scared by the murky ponds full of crap because I presumed I might find a dead body or something :thumb_yello:

Get LimeWire, it has all the mainstream stuff and then some. User-friendly, universal, etc...

And why were you scared? They would be people you've killed, either way.

I LOVE Rock Lobster! I was going to use it after the Love Shack one but then I forgot all about it.

*tries desperately not to get it stuck in her head--fails*

:rolls_eyes: So? Can't you just share in my amusement? Fine, he is like ... blokey-blokey type. Yeah, don't know how to explain, but the thought of him liking Mika is humorous :thumb_yello:

Blokey-blokey type...hahahahahhahahaha, thanks, that really defines him...hahahaa...

I absolutely want one!:naughty:

yes,I've travelled but nver outside the european union.I'm still young,so I still have enough time to come there.But I've heard that from Italy to Australi it takes 35 hrs by plane...:shocked:

Ehy SuperTwat...In Italy we don't even have Doctor Who,and,in any other telefilm, we are always at least 2 seasons behind

Hello! Another invader I see :P

*found out Petra's mikamail is 200g too heavy*

*decided she doesn't need 5 packets of fruit tingles*

*ate a packet of fruit tingles*

*feels like returning packet of fruit tingles to the world as colourful frothy sugary vomit*

*pbs*

LOL.

StuckZ, Larssie and Metallica was mentioned in my Rolling Stone that features a massive cover story on Chris Martin with full-page pictures and Spinal Tap references...*dies and goes to heaven*

Right, now I'm off to enjoy RL. S'later!

I LOVE TERRY PRATCHETT! He is God of the literary world.

I'm number four then?

Carrot. CMOT Dibbler. Agnes/Perdita. Mort. Ysabell. Errrrr....Albert! Aaaand....yeah.

Yes! Another one! Woohoo! *huggles ER* Yes, you make number four.

I'm sure we've missed some more favourite characters here somewhere.... Hmmm. Death. Ponder Stibbons. Cohen. I should probably stop now or I'll end up listing everybody in every book.

Wait, so we have to bring the balloons there and they blow them up in the shop? Hmm, okay.

Yeah, we should ask him to yodel. He does say everything, yodelling is something and thus a part of everything :thumb_yello:

I said to the man; "Are you trying to tempt me? Because I come from the land of plenty??"

In the past we've either hired a whole canister of gas and taken it away with us, or if they've done it at the shop, we've bought their balloons. I'd be curious to know how they'd be if you brought your own balloons.... It must happen though. Do you have a Sparty's shop anywhere near you? It's the Spotlight party shop. I know they do balloons and gas....

G'night, those who are going to bed.

I was just randomly googling that His Dark Materials thing, I'm not finished yet, but I've been noticing some SERIOUS non-children's-story undertones and I wanted to confirm :naughty:

I found a hilarious post from someone replying to somone asking if they should read it to their 8 year old. It has a scarily blunt/accurate summary of Narnia, HP and HDM, if you've read any of them you have to read this: :naughty: (The person asking said their kid had read HP and Narnia already, btw)

:boxed: My right click has stopped working...

I've read the whole lot cos our son wanted to read them and we'd heard a few worrying things... We've decided that for the moment they probably wouldn't be appropriate. Great books, but as you say non-children's-story undertones. As the person in the other post wrote - young adult. I reckon in a couple of years time he'll probably be just the right age for them as he's only 11.

ER, I don't know what your song is....

And I'm repeating mine from quite a few pages back as no-one said they got it, but no-one said they didn't know it, so I'll presume they didn't see it....

Yes! I love the chatter though. The expressions with hands involved. :thumb_yello:

I guess I just think the Australian accent sounds a bit lazy. But it depends on who is talking. :naughty: There are people here we call "bogans" (Bec loves bogans) and they don't sound very intelligent when they talk. :roftl: And that's the Aussie accent I hate hearing.

Aussie accents are sex-y :wub2::wub2:

I realised that I didn't give youtube links for my songs...

Frankly Mr Shankly

http://youtube.com/watch?v=h9l_zAypP7Q

This is my favourite Smiths song. I do love others, but this one tops the lot!

For Emily, whenever I may find her

I adore Simon and Garfunkel, and think this is one of the prettiest of their songs.

Baby you left me

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CmFhB7gAAoU

I wasn't really into Boy George back in the 80's but really like the one of the other gender benders of the time, Marilyn. My sister had this as a 12" and on the "B" side there is the most amazing acapella version of this.

And Kelz already posted the link to the Logical song.

I had plans, but wanted to sort out youtube links for the songs that Kelz didn't know the other day in our little game, and came on MFC and every thing I'd sorted out in my mind went out the window. Apart from housework, i can't remember a single thing I was going to do!

Argh... I feel so bad right now. :tears:

Earlier today I was outside with the laptop on our deck with my mom. Out of nowhere we hear a cat meowing. We listened because we thought it was ours and then out from behind the steps pops up a black and brown cat with green eyes. He wouldn't stop meowing.

We just kind of stared and him and at each other not really knowing what to do I went a little bit closer. I ended up sitting down near the steps and after the cat uses our garden (lucky there's nothing growing in there) as a litter box... go figure.... he slowly makes his way up the steps near me.

I start freaking out saying "oh god... oh god he's coming closer... oh god" and he comes right up to me and just kept on rubbing up against me walking back and forth... repeatedly. After a few minutes he made his way into my lap and was still rubbing up against me and started to softly purr.

I had been eating dinner and mom came out with hers because I felt weird just sitting there while this stray cat rubbed up against me... eventually he made his way over to my mom and would put his paws on her lap and try to smell what she was eating... then he made his way up onto her lap and almost onto her plate. :naughty: My mom ended up giving him a tiny piece of chicken and he shook while eating it so she gave him another and I gave him a tiny piece of mine.

I told her that I really wanted to feed him but I'm afraid he'll start hanging around here expecting food... and that it sucked that we have a heart because we don't know what to do. There's no animal shelters around here. The closest one is 20 minutes away and they were closed. So my mom went inside and she saw he was still hanging around me when I was at my computer so she came out with a half a can of cat food. Within two minutes it was gone.

A neighbor went walking by with her dog and we asked her if she had seen him before and she hadn't. I tried calling a number of a supposed shelter that's around here but they were closed and they're a rescue place for dogs... go figure. Her dog and the cat weren't afraid of each other in fact they sniffed each other so the lady said that the cat must have been around other animals.

Eventually when our neighbor and dog walked off the cat slowly followed. The neighbor was stopped by our other neighbor that has a teen daughter, 4 cats and 2 very annoying dogs. The teen went to pick up the cat and I thought she was bringing him inside but nope. I was hoping maybe she'd take in the cat... I mean they have four what's one more? Instead the cat kept on walking away from her and tried walking away faster when she came near him. He eventually made his way back up onto our deck.

After my mom and I went inside to do something and we heard a car come up the road and the cat took off really fast. Ironically enough it was those same neighbors... apparently the cat was getting some bad vibes from them or something. :naughty: It was odd though that he took off because other cars had gone by and he didn't seem to notice them. Then I heard this dreadful meow and mom heard it too. I thought the cat had gotten hit... turns out the cat and just ran into another one that comes around here to hunt.

We walked over to find the cat because we could hear him calling and I thought he had been hurt. We couldn't find him and turns out he was up in a tree so I tried to help him get down but he wouldn't come. Eventually we went back inside. A while later we said bye to my dad as he went off to work and I heard something and looked over and the cat was by a tree near our driveway and I kept an eye out hoping he wouldn't go near the van. He didn't thankfully and we went back inside.

I went back upstairs and it started to pour outside and thunder. I felt so bad for that cat being out there. It finally stopped and then lo and behold there's the cat again at the door meowing. He's now laying out there on our deck on a rocking chair type thing.

I really, really wish I could bring him inside but I can't.

1. we have a cat.

2. our cat is sooooo mad at us for paying attention to this other cat

3. we think this other cat has fleas

4. we don't have the money for another cat

5. I'm allergic so living with one cat is bad enough right now.

I'm really, REALLY hoping this cat is around here tomorrow because if he is I'm calling up the shelter to see if they'll take him in. I just feel so bad though because I'm hoping it's not a shelter where if they're not adopted within so many days they get put down. I'll feel sooooo bad. I already told my friend that I feel bad because what if this cat has a home and I bring him into the shelter? My friend reminded me that if he's not being fed then it's not really much of a home.

*sigh* I wish I could do something for this poor thing. It's so hard living in the middle of nowhere. :(

Aaaawww, PJ! Gosh, I don't know what to tell you! Is the cat looking all scrawny and underfed? It does sound like the shelter may be an option, and if someone is looking for the cat they will surely contact the shelters. If you're game to pick him up without worrying about getting too attached, give him a cuddle for me.

Aaaawww, PJ! Gosh, I don't know what to tell you! Is the cat looking all scrawny and underfed? It does sound like the shelter may be an option, and if someone is looking for the cat they will surely contact the shelters. If you're game to pick him up without worrying about getting too attached, give him a cuddle for me.

He's very thin compared to my cat although my cat is 20 pounds haha. My one hand can almost go around him... granted I don't have stubby fingers but it's still pretty bad.

He's still hanging around. I'm glad its stopped raining for right now. I wish I could do something for him for the night but again I can't risk my cat getting fleas and us having to go through the trouble with trying to get her flealess and making sure there's none in the house and our house is all carpet pretty much.

We just gave him some water a few minutes ago because he saw us in the kitchen and was at the door crying. He was REALLY thirsty and again he soaked up the attention from me. I couldn't let him brush up all over me again though because I had already changed pjs again haha. I think he's gone off right now somewhere but I don't think he's very far.

I'm hoping he'll be around in the morning so I can call the vet and see if anyone has called in missing a cat and if not I'll call the shelter and see if they'll take him... which they better. We can't afford another cat.

That means "GO TO BED OKD"

:naughty:

Yes! Yes I did! And I have five minutes until I'm off to have a RL again! How revolutionary...It looks as though I'll be having more RL than MFC this summer. I'll sneak on when I can though...maybe I should make a 'goodbye-haha-fooled-you' thread just to go with the trend, actually.

:roftl:

What are you doing?

Today I'm going out with my friend to take funny photos.

Nooooooooo...*covers ears*

Okay, and I shall call you moaning Myrtle :-)

Ah, but you see, it was 12:30 AM when I signed on. So it really was all day.

Okay, it was.

Get LimeWire, it has all the mainstream stuff and then some. User-friendly, universal, etc...

And why were you scared? They would be people you've killed, either way.

Hmm, okay.

Blokey-blokey type...hahahahahhahahaha, thanks, that really defines him...hahahaa...

:thumb_yello:

In the past we've either hired a whole canister of gas and taken it away with us, or if they've done it at the shop, we've bought their balloons. I'd be curious to know how they'd be if you brought your own balloons.... It must happen though. Do you have a Sparty's shop anywhere near you? It's the Spotlight party shop. I know they do balloons and gas....

How big is the cannister and how much does it cost?

I've read the whole lot cos our son wanted to read them and we'd heard a few worrying things... We've decided that for the moment they probably wouldn't be appropriate. Great books, but as you say non-children's-story undertones. As the person in the other post wrote - young adult. I reckon in a couple of years time he'll probably be just the right age for them as he's only 11.

:naughty: Yeah probably.

And I'm repeating mine from quite a few pages back as no-one said they got it, but no-one said they didn't know it, so I'll presume they didn't see it....

I saw them. I didn't get them.

I had plans, but wanted to sort out youtube links for the songs that Kelz didn't know the other day in our little game, and came on MFC and every thing I'd sorted out in my mind went out the window. Apart from housework, i can't remember a single thing I was going to do!

*slaps MFC*

Argh... I feel so bad right now.

Wa-hey! I know all about stray animals!

First thing, this cat sounds EXACTLY like Milo, is it Milo? Incredibly noisy/rubby/scared of cars only when they get really close. How the heck did he get over there?

Anyway, he is incredibly tame and sounds like he is has or has quite recently has a home and owner. He might be an escaped indoor cat, or he might be a lost outdoor cat, or he might be a not-lost outdoor cat that is just taking food when offered. Do you think any cat would refuse human chicken if offered? :naughty: And he might be abandoned. How old is he? If he is still semi-kitten sized - a lot of people kick out their kittens when they are no longer cute fluffy kittens.

Well, if he goes away at night and comes over in the day, he might have a family and a home and everything, and is just a food-whore. If he starts staying overnight, it's more likely that he doesn't have a home.

Check local newspapers/noticeboards/vets for missing cats that match his description. Ummm, you could try putting a collar on him and see if it's still on him the next day (maybe put a note or something on it lol).

If you decide he doesn't have a home then you can take him to the vet. They'll keep him and look after him, they'll wait a while to see if anyone claims him, and they should be one of the first places people look, and then they'll find him a home. Not all vets take in stray animals, just those that actually care about the lives of animals :newyear:, which funnily enough is usually the ones that charge less. But they won't charge you anything and they wont put him down.

Oh, and you can brush his fur backwards so you can see his skin and look around for fleas and if you do see some you should probably give you cat a flea thingy because you probably gave them to her already now. No big deal though :thumb_yello:

He's very thin compared to my cat although my cat is 20 pounds haha. My one hand can almost go around him... granted I don't have stubby fingers but it's still pretty bad.

He's still hanging around. I'm glad its stopped raining for right now. I wish I could do something for him for the night but again I can't risk my cat getting fleas and us having to go through the trouble with trying to get her flealess and making sure there's none in the house and our house is all carpet pretty much.

We just gave him some water a few minutes ago because he saw us in the kitchen and was at the door crying. He was REALLY thirsty and again he soaked up the attention from me. I couldn't let him brush up all over me again though because I had already changed pjs again haha. I think he's gone off right now somewhere but I don't think he's very far.

I'm hoping he'll be around in the morning so I can call the vet and see if anyone has called in missing a cat and if not I'll call the shelter and see if they'll take him... which they better. We can't afford another cat.

Milo was VERY skinny and lanky, but he had all the food he could eat, his metabolism was just like that some how :naughty:

If he is a stray and has fleas it's probably a pretty horrific infestation so you should be able to see them really easily if they're there.

And call the vet :thumb_yello: I know the cat haven here puts down like a hundred cats a week, I wouldn't bring a cat to a shelter - find a vet that'll take him :original:

goodnight Kelzy!the fact that I've joined the Mfc is already a proof of my madness,don't worry,there's no risk of getting worse!

:roftl: Hang around us long enough and you'll be crazy!!

Haha !! Nup ... tis still just a fantasy ...

Just like that siggy we were making..

I never seem to be up when you Aussies are on anymore.

I guess it's like preparation for this next year.

Times they are a changin'......

Someone (OkD) remind me to watch I'm Not There tonight. I never got around to it the other day.

(can't a girl lurk in peace?)

I always try to leave before you get here. :naughty:

Sorry not in a very chatty mood tonight

Awwww.. Why? :wink2:

HolyMika_klein.jpg

Is Mika praying the MFC doesn't hunt him down with blindfolds and handcuffs??

LOL!!!

Myrtle the Turtle Myrtle the Turtle Myrtle the Turtle Myrtle the Turtle

StuckZ, Larssie and Metallica was mentioned in my Rolling Stone that features a massive cover story on Chris Martin with full-page pictures and Spinal Tap references...*dies and goes to heaven*

*goes shopping for Rolling Stone mag*

Aussie accents are sex-y

Mzeeeeeee!!!!!!! Canadian Accents are schmexy!!

I'm going to watch Mean Girls tonight to see what Regina George is like. :sneaky2:

Wa-hey! I know all about stray animals!

Anyway, he is incredibly tame and sounds like he is has or has quite recently has a home and owner. He might be an escaped indoor cat, or he might be a lost outdoor cat, or he might be a not-lost outdoor cat that is just taking food when offered. Do you think any cat would refuse human chicken if offered? And he might be abandoned. How old is he? If he is still semi-kitten sized - a lot of people kick out their kittens when they are no longer cute fluffy kittens.

Well, if he goes away at night and comes over in the day, he might have a family and a home and everything, and is just a food-whore. If he starts staying overnight, it's more likely that he doesn't have a home.

Check local newspapers/noticeboards/vets for missing cats that match his description. Ummm, you could try putting a collar on him and see if it's still on him the next day (maybe put a note or something on it lol).

If you decide he doesn't have a home then you can take him to the vet. They'll keep him and look after him, they'll wait a while to see if anyone claims him, and they should be one of the first places people look, and then they'll find him a home. Not all vets take in stray animals, just those that actually care about the lives of animals, which funnily enough is usually the ones that charge less. But they won't charge you anything and they wont put him down.

Oh, and you can brush his fur backwards so you can see his skin and look around for fleas and if you do see some you should probably give you cat a flea thingy because you probably gave them to her already now. No big deal though

I agree with all that. I get sad when people say "I can't do anything for that animal" as if we're useless humans. We're not useless. Some of us are heartless though. Even just throwing some scraps in a bowl for it to eat is doing something. I'm not really religious, as most of you know, but I have certain beliefs. And one is that animals don't just turn up in our lives for no reason. There's something to be learnt from this stray cat.

Jen, even if it's just about petitioning to get an animal shelter running in your area. :thumb_yello:

Last edited by englishrose : Today at 09:47 AM. Reason: See the bedouin fires at night, see the oil fields at first light...
See the bird with a leaf in her mouth.. After the flood all the colours came out...................:wub2:

It was a beautiful day. Don't let it get away.....

Last edited by chickadee : Today at 10:03 AM. Reason: The Salvation Army band played, and the children drank lemonade, and the morning lasted all day, all day.
OG.. that's so familiar.....

Hmmmmm...Moaning Myrtle and Myrtle the Turtle...:roftl: They're both rather endearing. And I'm pretty sure they won't be yelled out in public places by anyone except you lot.

Oh, and Kelzy, while you're at it, get Spin as well...Coldplay's on the cover, and there's a REALLY hot photo in there. :mf_lustslow::drool:

My RL stuff ftd. walking to and swimming in the nearby lake, eating pain au chocolat from the cafe down the road, sunbathing, and finally going out for fush'n'chups. I love summer.