New blog!

lindemfc

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, have you met me? I'm all about the long and detailed posts. Someone could be like "Mika's shoe size is 9.5" and I'd have a long and detailed response. :roftl:

Well I expect it from you:naughty: I enjoy your long posts.

Me too :naughty::wub2:

I enjoy reading them. Other long posts I just fast read and scan through them if they don't seem interesting. But not yours. Yours are interesting :naughty:

Same here:naughty:

Dude, have you met me? I'm all about the long and detailed posts. Someone could be like "Mika's shoe size is 9.5" and I'd have a long and detailed response. :roftl:

It's actually between 9.5 and 10. Discuss!

Just Got A New Email From Mika!!

Me too! Mika tells me that I can win tickets to Paris! Wow! I am so glad I signed up on his mailing list so that he can give me all this early information.

Well, we've still yet to see if he follows through with his promise...

He hasn't completely let anyone down yet.

There's still 2 more days, and during that time he still can give 4 pairs of tickets, travel, and accomodation to 8 random people :thumb_yello:

Well, that's exactly what I said. :thumb_yello: Just think how excited we'll be if he proves us wrong and carries it off without any complications!

--Jack

It's actually between 9.5 and 10. Discuss!

Me too! Mika tells me that I can win tickets to Paris! Wow! I am so glad I signed up on his mailing list so that he can give me all this early information.

Well, that's exactly what I said. :thumb_yello: Just think how excited we'll be if he proves us wrong and carries it off without any complications!

--Jack

Oh.. :blink: Hahah, I see. Sorry, I just read it wrong or.. something. (???)

Or maybe I just felt like posting something, who knows.

:groovy:

But yes, that would be exciting if he carries it off without any complications.

nothing we didn't know already though...

01 jul 2008 08:08

Win tickets to see MIKA in Paris this Friday!

Hey there!

A couple of things that you need to know!

First – we are re-launching MIKA's website very soon, to explain all about it MIKA himself has filmed a special message which you can see here.

Secondly – as you may know, MIKA is playing a massive show at the Parc de Prince in Paris this Friday on 4th July. This is MIKA's first stadium show and it's a sell out. However, the good news is that we have 4 pairs of tickets up for grabs – not only that we will also throw in one nights accommodation and travel also. All you need to do is enter your email and country location here.

Best of luck!

Mikasounds

thanks for posting:thumb_yello:

So the contest is still going. Mika's team just now sent out an e-mail to all of the old e-mails (the ones which wouldn't confirm) with the info about the contest.

cutting it close!

Not only to the old ones :roftl: This is getting better and better :thumb_yello:

:mf_lustslow:I got another message from 'mika' this morning...and guess what...I can win tickets to his gig in France!! :shocked:

I'm like, Yeah! :punk:

Wow that's great :woot_jump: Good luck :yay:

Yo.... my horoscope...

"July has arrived, and for many, including you, it's a perfect month to travel. Mercury is no longer retrograde as it was in June, so you can say goodbye to the delays and postponements that might have plagued you then. This month you will have your choice of whether to go near or far, or to a domestic city or overseas, and be confident that no matter what your choice, your trip will turn out to be simply delicious."

Mika said his show is going to be delicious right? :lmfao:

I couldn't resist.:fisch:

Yo.... my horoscope...

"July has arrived, and for many, including you, it's a perfect month to travel. Mercury is no longer retrograde as it was in June, so you can say goodbye to the delays and postponements that might have plagued you then. This month you will have your choice of whether to go near or far, or to a domestic city or overseas, and be confident that no matter what your choice, your trip will turn out to be simply delicious."

LOL! It's fate :roftl:

do i have to understand why they're sending out an e-mail with the info that you have to register for getting e-mails to be able to win the tickets? BangHead.gif do they want you to register with 2 e-mail-addresses, or with the same twice? makes absolutely no sense to me. :blink:

do i have to understand why they're sending out an e-mail with the info that you have to register for getting e-mails to be able to win the tickets? BangHead.gif do they want you to register with 2 e-mail-addresses, or with the same twice? makes absolutely no sense to me. :blink:

Didn't you know? Mika hires only the best of everything - orchestras and choirs that have worked with Michael Jackson to record his album, famous shoe designers to get his clown shoes size 43.... and a web PR agency that has their own way of carrying out things :naughty:

LOL! It's fate :roftl:

I just found that hilarious. Once in a while I'll check my horoscope out of boredom and it usually would be at the end of the day (that way I wouldn't read something and expect it to happen.) Most of the time, it would be right on which confused me. :blink:

On another funny note, I was looking up the breed of the stray kitty that found my mom and I a couple days ago and we took him in... well I ended up on Wiki and they had a folklore thing about the cat and it said that in many cultures the cat is believed to bring good luck and in the US they're referred to as money cats.

Maybe I'm going to win the lottery without even buying a ticket! :punk:

Yo.... my horoscope...

Oh, wonderful!! You should send this to Mika, as further incentive to pick you. Plus from what I recall, you're one of the very lucky few who has no plans, no school, and no need for a guardian to fly to Paris.

Didn't you know? Mika hires only the best of everything - orchestras and choirs that have worked with Michael Jackson to record his album, famous shoe designers to get his clown shoes size 43.... and a web PR agency that has their own way of carrying out things :naughty:

There are two things I do not get about Mika, at all.

One is that for an artist who acknowledges that he owes much of his success to the internet, he does not utilize his web presence whatsoever. His myspace sends out occasional, badly-written and impersonal promo bulletins, and that's... pretty much it. Why, when he knows how important online marketing is?

Two is that for an artist who's so very visual in his stage presence and merchandising, and who generally pays a lot of attention to spectacle, he does not care for his music videos at all. You'd think he'd be like Bowie or Madonna in their heyday, making the most of the medium, breaking new ground, creating little 3-minute masterpieces! Instead, he farms the concept of his videos onto other people entirely, and just kinda shows up. I'm not saying all his videos are bad or anything, but they are really not using the potential that the format offers at all. And why isn't he more involved in them? In interviews he makes it clear that it's the director who comes up with the ideas, and he's said before that he doesn't much care for music videos. Why, when that's one of the main ways music reaches a new audience?

--Jack

One is that for an artist who acknowledges that he owes much of his success to the internet, he does not utilize his web presence whatsoever. His myspace sends out occasional, badly-written and impersonal promo bulletins, and that's... pretty much it. Why, when he knows how important online marketing is?

Two is that for an artist who's so very visual in his stage presence and merchandising, and who generally pays a lot of attention to spectacle, he does not care for his music videos at all. You'd think he'd be like Bowie or Madonna in their heyday, making the most of the medium, breaking new ground, creating little 3-minute masterpieces! Instead, he farms the concept of his videos onto other people entirely, and just kinda shows up. I'm not saying all his videos are bad or anything, but they are really not using the potential that the format offers at all. And why isn't he more involved in them? In interviews he makes it clear that it's the director who comes up with the ideas, and he's said before that he doesn't much care for music videos. Why, when that's one of the main ways music reaches a new audience?

--Jack

1.) Isn't that what his "new website" is for?

2.) Thank God he doesn't make extremely elaborate videos. I probably wouldn't like him if he did :naughty:. I like it nice and simple.

1.) Isn't that what his "new website" is for?

Yeah. Like a year and a half after he started. :bleh:

2.) Thank God he doesn't make extremely elaborate videos. I probably wouldn't like him if he did :naughty:. I like it nice and simple.

You don't like good videos? Like, you seriously prefer ones that look like they were shot on someone's home camera in one day, or on a tiny budget that was badly used?

They don't have to be "elaborate," but I'd appreciate it if they had a good solid concept and were innovative.

And personally I just like videos that are memorable and beautiful to watch. :naughty:

--Jack

Yeah. Like a year and a half after he started. :bleh:

So he's a little slow, at least he's catching up now :naughty:

Maybe he didn't want to do anything until he finally had the money *shrug*

You don't like good videos? Like, you seriously prefer ones that look like they were shot on someone's home camera in one day, or on a tiny budget that was badly used?

They don't have to be "elaborate," but I'd appreciate it if they had a good solid concept and were innovative.

And personally I just like videos that are memorable and beautiful to watch. :naughty:

--Jack

Actually, I don't. I think his videos have enough pizazz in them to keep people interested, but then again I'm boring so maybe I'm just easily entertained. :naughty:

Oh, wonderful!! You should send this to Mika, as further incentive to pick you. Plus from what I recall, you're one of the very lucky few who has no plans, no school, and no need for a guardian to fly to Paris.

--Jack

My guess would be that he's just getting bogged down. Me too, I find it very odd that he puts so little emphasis on visual media marketing wise, while being so concerned about the look and feel of his shows and cd covers. If it really broke his heart to have a company do his booklet design, he should be crying day and night over his myspace.

Actually I don't think it's lack of ideas. A peculiar perception of priorities more so. Combined with the delusional idea of wanting to do everything by himself and his family, which is a questionable approach at this stage of his career.

It's probably about his perfectionalism. Things either have to be very, very good, or - in cases where he can't take much influence- he doesn't care how they turn out. He knows what he does himself has got to be perfect. It's kind of a self-imposed claim to him. Just at this point he really should look out for support on the web front. There are so many capable people to carry out his ideas properly. They just need to be found.

There are very good approaches in his visual work (other than shows or cd cover) in that first part of the HE video and also in the animated layout of his old mikasounds page. There he managed to have people lend a hand to make it look special without giving up on his own ideas. I wonder why he never added any content of relevance apart from the award things.

However, I'm quite sure his head is bursting of ideas, there's just that little problem that you can't do everything by yourself, plus, a day just has so many hours.

Actually, I don't. I think his videos have enough pizazz in them to keep people interested, but then again I'm boring so maybe I'm just easily entertained. :naughty:

Really? I guess you are. :naughty: I really love "Grace Kelly," but after that, not so much. "Big Girls" was definitely an opportunity wasted, imo. And "Happy Ending" was almost brilliant, but then it really floundered in the end for me--the special effects really could have used more work (not to look "flashier" but to look smoother), and I felt the storyboard needed something more than "and then he floats around aimlessly for awhile," especially to tie in with the lyrics better.

But anyway, just as an example, some videos I think are quite good:

Garbage: Androgyny

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UGrAU-FnarM

Bowie: Underground

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=M-2vLTSUpC0

Shania Twain: That Don't Impress Me Much

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mt7W6a_gQSM

(It's totally simple but makes me smile)

And here's a video that was done pretty much the same way as "Big Girls"--ie, all fan extras, done in one day, etc. But I think with rather more success:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Awnjw36mNEs

It's a spoof of a David Lee Roth's "California Girls" btw.

Oh, and I quite like GCH's "Girlfriend" video (the one with Katy Perry) too.

--Jack

Really? I guess you are. :naughty: I really love "Grace Kelly," but after that, not so much. "Big Girls" was definitely an opportunity wasted, imo. And "Happy Ending" was almost brilliant, but then it really floundered in the end for me--the special effects really could have used more work (not to look "flashier" but to look smoother), and I felt the storyboard needed something more than "and then he floats around aimlessly for awhile," especially to tie in with the lyrics better.

But anyway, just as an example, some videos I think are quite good:

Garbage: Androgyny

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UGrAU-FnarM

Bowie: Underground

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=M-2vLTSUpC0

Shania Twain: That Don't Impress Me Much

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mt7W6a_gQSM

(It's totally simple but makes me smile)

And here's a video that was done pretty much the same way as "Big Girls"--ie, all fan extras, done in one day, etc. But I think with rather more success:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Awnjw36mNEs

It's a spoof of a David Lee Roth's "California Girls" btw.

Oh, and I quite like GCH's "Girlfriend" video (the one with Katy Perry) too.

--Jack

See, to me those videos are really cheesy :naughty:. I like old school videos of artists just performing in front of a camera. Mika makes it a little more entertaining than just some boring music video shot from one angle.

We're complete opposites :naughty:

I seriously can't imagine Mika doing any story telling videos. That would just be. . .odd (for him).

Well some of them are from the 80s. But what's the point of shooting a video of just the artist singing into a camera? You have infinite visual possibilities, why just point and shoot?

The Shania Twain video, btw, is absolutely cheesy and campy. But quite self-consciously so. That's why I love it. :thumb_yello:

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "old school"? Like, here are two of the oldest videos I know:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ueUOTImKp0k

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2-xIulyVsG8

Both have become iconic, but as you see, they were even then experimenting with showing something more than just the artists singing to the camera... even when all they had was the artist and the camera. :bleh:

--Jack

Realistically I think the point of Mika's videos should be to make him look cool. That's what's going to get him airplay and sell his CDs, particularly in North America. I think he succeeded with that in Love Today and definitely not so much with Big Girl and Happy Ending.