2008 - REPORTS, PICS, VIDEOS of MIKA @ Parc des Princes, Paris

marthastewart

Re the Madonna gig in Wembley on Thursday, there are lots of reports that the sound was really bad.

I found this quite interesting because Jemma and I found the sound at PDP extremely disappointing. And the visuals, come to that.

Is bad sound indicative of stadium gigs? Does it depend where in the stadium you are?

When you pay so much for a stadium ticket, you do expect more, IMO.

well, i know that the shows at the olympic stadium here never sounded as good as other ones... hard to describe, but i think echo is the best way to describe it. like the sounds doesn't bounce off properly. i remember people commenting "not bad for such a large stadium" so i guess it was to be expected. did you go to madonna's?

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Re the Madonna gig in Wembley on Thursday, there are lots of reports that the sound was really bad.

I found this quite interesting because Jemma and I found the sound at PDP extremely disappointing. And the visuals, come to that.

Is bad sound indicative of stadium gigs? Does it depend where in the stadium you are?

well, i know that the shows at the olympic stadium here never sounded as good as other ones... hard to describe, but i think echo is the best way to describe it. like the sounds doesn't bounce off properly. i remember people commenting "not bad for such a large stadium" so i guess it was to be expected. did you go to madonna's?

I agree girls.

And it really saddens me. I read a review for the Madonna gig, where the guy said that even though she only sang on two songs, and even there struggled to carry the tune, she put on a really nice show, and that was the point of going to her concert.

He literally said that you don'tgo to a Madonna concert to hear her sing. To me that is absolutely shocking.

Part of me was really worried thinking that Mika will be there watching, and getting ideas for his shows, and going down that route in the future. I really hope that he's not going to do that, as he'd surely loose a fan in me :naughty:.

I go to a concert to hear the person sing, and I don't give a flying feck about the show. If I can get both, fine, but I'd take the singing over anything else any day.

I went to the Neil Diamond concert in June and that was absolutely amazing, and he just stood there with his guitar. Sound was great, and he was incredible.

Sure that's what it's all about? Not about the show?

And if these big stadiums have crappy sound, then artists should really re-think their strategy when it comes to concerts I think, as it will do them more harm than good to deliver bad sounding performances.

Then again, I did go to Wembley in the past, can't remember to see who it was now, and the sound was good...So maybe it was just Madonna who sounded like crap! haha!

I agree 100%, sara.

i have been to much bigger gigs than mika's before, even if paris was big enough, I have to say.. :blink: and big names either, and they didn't have a megascreen on stage.. go figure what type of "show" i look for! :bleh:

I go to hear/see him singing and possibly have his usual "interaction" on stage with crowd, not for a special effects show. there are movies for that :wink2:

From my personal experience in PDP, from where i was sitting the visual was bad, i could only see Mika on the big screen, but the sound was pretty perfect.

I think it is all depands on where you are sitting in the stadium.

Re. Madonna, to me this is someone who is very commercial and can make good tunes but even on her live dvd she sounded not in her best but her show was over the top, so sometimes it must be also up to the artist and not only the venue.

No, guy, I was just reading about it and they were saying on the radio yesterday.

I agree girls.

And it really saddens me. I read a review for the Madonna gig, where the guy said that even though she only sang on two songs, and even there struggled to carry the tune, she put on a really nice show, and that was the point of going to her concert.

He literally said that you don'tgo to a Madonna concert to hear her sing. To me that is absolutely shocking.

Part of me was really worried thinking that Mika will be there watching, and getting ideas for his shows, and going down that route in the future. I really hope that he's not going to do that, as he'd surely loose a fan in me :naughty:.

I go to a concert to hear the person sing, and I don't give a flying feck about the show. If I can get both, fine, but I'd take the singing over anything else any day.

I went to the Neil Diamond concert in June and that was absolutely amazing, and he just stood there with his guitar. Sound was great, and he was incredible.

Sure that's what it's all about? Not about the show?

And if these big stadiums have crappy sound, then artists should really re-think their strategy when it comes to concerts I think, as it will do them more harm than good to deliver bad sounding performances.

Then again, I did go to Wembley in the past, can't remember to see who it was now, and the sound was good...So maybe it was just Madonna who sounded like crap! haha!

I agree sari, I would LOVE to see Mika with just a piano. He can entertain without all the razamatazz. I mean it is nice that he puts on a show and I do enjoy it, he is an entertainer, but where the singing and sound is sacrificed, it's not worth it , for me.

God I hope he's not getting ideas from Madonna! What's worrying is that Madonna is a top artist, and if she can't get the sound right........

yeah usually stadium gigs are always like that because of how bad the sound acoustics are, like in madison square garden the sound is HORRIBLE unless you have ground spots that are standing

my opinion about pop/rock is powerless because i went just to a M gigs (and his supporters) but maybe it is interesting to have an opinion about a mature newbie/neophite

sincerely

i think that all gigs live with amplification have a bad sound (too much high and, in the first row, too much bass)

true music needs to be acustic (without tecnology) or to be recorded in studio

at my first M gig I thougth: this is a hell, the sound is awful (because it was my real first experience live) but i also thought that M music and M voice are perfect and professional even if the general quality of the concerts live is not perfect

i can't explain this better... but an example:

pictures made with ordinary not professional digital camera are worst than pictures made with optical camera.

but in this group of poor quality pictures made with digital camera there are beautiful pictures with beautiful subjets and ugly pictures with ugly subjets...

that happens also in pop music live

and...

even children born yesterday know that madonna's voice is not as good as her success as a star

her "gift" is to be a big star, not a big singer/songwriter

and... maybe... we can admire her because she arrived at success without talent so with more efforts

puff puff people

why i write long speech in a unknow language???

i'm tired now

sincerely

i think that all gigs live with amplification have a bad sound (too much high and, in the first row, too much bass)

true music needs to be acustic (without tecnology) or to be recorded in studio

at my first M gig I thougth: this is a hell, the sound is awful (because it was my real first experience live) but i also thought that M music and M voice are perfect and professional even if the general quality of the concerts live is not perfect

even children born yesterday know that madonna's voice is not as good as her success as a star

her "gift" is to be a big star, not a big singer/songwriter

and... maybe... we can admire her because she arrived at success without talent so with more efforts

puff puff people

why i write long speech in a unknow language???

i'm tired now

I agree with you regarding music in general, but in smaller or medium sized venues the sound is different again to huge stadium venues.

I also agree with you regarding Madonna, I have only seen her once and it was live but I was in Wembley and she was in America somewhere so we had it on a big screen (Live Aid was it 1985?) and I thought then that her voice wasn't up to much, she was putting more effort into her dancing and the show in general, and I can remember being disappointed at the time because of this, I expected music, you know?

I agree with you regarding music in general, but in smaller or medium sized venues the sound is different again to huge stadium venues

of course....

pictures beautiful/pictures ugly

pictures big/pictures small

me too i payed a lot for my place at PDP and i did not see the entire stage but just a lateral part and i did not earded perfect

but i'm very proud to be there, i enjoyed the professionality of entire show and i'm proud that M attracted a number of people similar to the number of people who went at Bejiing olympic ouverture ceremony (even if this means that he will do gigs bigger in the future and i dont want it because i prefere small venue... that's life....)

and I can remember being disappointed at the time because of this, I expected music, you know?

also when you read a bestseller book you espect literature and often you dont find it...

when you watch a film you espect art but often you find commerce...

when you buy clothes you espect style, quality and beauty but often you find just fashion....

when you go to restaurant you espect good food but often you find just a cool location and bad food...

world is strange!

I agree with you regarding music in general, but in smaller or medium sized venues the sound is different again to huge stadium venues.

I also agree with you regarding Madonna, I have only seen her once and it was live but I was in Wembley and she was in America somewhere so we had it on a big screen (Live Aid was it 1985?) and I thought then that her voice wasn't up to much, she was putting more effort into her dancing and the show in general, and I can remember being disappointed at the time because of this, I expected music, you know?

I know it may sound extreme, but I have always belived, the biggest the shows on stage are, the smallest is the singer's voice... :fisch::naughty:

it's like that line from chicago musical "how could they see with sequins in their eyes..?" :yay:

I agree mika doesn't need that, cause his voice/talent can put up an incredible show even with just a piano.

I understand and respect though, the whole gigantic PDP show served his dream of a colourful, all comprehensive show, and I am glad for him it went the way he hoped.

he was TRULY excited to know people liked it when we spoke about it with him after the show itself in paris and then in arras.

there's nothing wrong with that.

I just speak basing on my vision of things.

and I agree madonna has no voice whatsoever.. *runs and hides* :shocked::roftl:

I agree mika doesn't need that, cause his voice/talent can put up an incredible show even with just a piano.

Well he's huge in France so he probably needed a huge stadium to fit everybody :naughty:

And he had to make use of the big stage, hence the mini-circus...

At least, that's how I see it.

Well he's huge in France so he probably needed a huge stadium to fit everybody :naughty:

And he had to make use of the big stage, hence the mini-circus...

At least, that's how I see it.

it's all part of his artistic views and his personal dream, so it's not just to "fill up a big stage", I guess.. :naughty::wink2:

what i meant (and I think babs meant too) is that, contrary to many others, who doesn't have much of a voice to entertein with, (*coughs* :mf_rosetinted:), he HAS that gift and a piano alone would suffice, but o.c. he's allowed to bring on stage more than that. it's HIS show! :yay:

I was talking to some one last night who saw Robbie Williams play at Hamden Park in Scotland, and they said that the sound wasn't great in the seated area, which reminded me of Babs and Jemmas experience here.

I guess stadiums weren't built for acoustics!

I know it may sound extreme, but I have always belived, the biggest the shows on stage are, the smallest is the singer's voice... :fisch::naughty:

No it's not extreme. I agree with you. It's amazing how popular medocrity is. You just have to distract people with a lot of flash and they don't care/notice.

The one good thing about Madonna is that at least she stays within her limited vocal range. These Jessica Simpson types who fancy themselves Mariah Carey and start doing scales in the middle of their songs when they don't have the pipes for it, are really unbearable to listen to.

of course....

pictures beautiful/pictures ugly

pictures big/pictures small

me too i payed a lot for my place at PDP and i did not see the entire stage but just a lateral part and i did not earded perfect

but i'm very proud to be there, i enjoyed the professionality of entire show and i'm proud that M attracted a number of people similar to the number of people who went at Bejiing olympic ouverture ceremony (even if this means that he will do gigs bigger in the future and i dont want it because i prefere small venue... that's life....)

I agree with you Allegra, i paid a lot also for my seat in PDP and i wasnt disappointed, i was happy to be there and witness this amazing night, even if that meant not being able to see Mika on stage well but the sound was good.

No it's not extreme. I agree with you. It's amazing how popular medocrity is. You just have to distract people with a lot of flash and they don't care/notice.

I totally agree with you girls. And I much prefer quality voice and sound to flashiness.

In fact, I don't much care for flashiness at all, and if anything, it will distract me from the actual music.

Often enough, I find that, the more that is going on on stage, the more distracted the artist himself will be, and they won't put as much effort or soul into the actual singing...

This especially seems true in people like Mika, where he's such a perfectionist and controlling that he himself needs to be keeping an eye on everything that is happening.

I sometimes feel that he's more worried about what is going on, what everyone else is doing, or what should happen next, than being into what he's doing at the time.

I would prefer it if he'd focus a 100 percent on the music, and delivering the hearfelt performance that we love.

I agree with you Allegra, i paid a lot also for my seat in PDP and i wasnt disappointed, i was happy to be there and witness this amazing night, even if that meant not being able to see Mika on stage well but the sound was good.

See, the thing is, I went to that one for all the reasons that I had, and becauase it was the first one,etc...But I am not happy for it to be the norm. I just can't enjoy a gig where I can't even see the artist.

So no, I would not be doing the same again and again. If I can't see him, I'd rather be at home watching the dvd than squashed in the middle of thousands of people.

See, the thing is, I went to that one for all the reasons that I had, and becauase it was the first one,etc...But I am not happy for it to be the norm. I just can't enjoy a gig where I can't even see the artist.

So no, I would not be doing the same again and again. If I can't see him, I'd rather be at home watching the dvd than squashed in the middle of thousands of people.

I understand your pov, i agree to that as well to some exstant, I don't think i would want to do that again but knowing it was a big night i decided to come no matter what. My fear when i first booked the ticket that my seat was situated in a crappy place, it somewhat was as it was a bit far from the stage and there was the light stand blocking my view, but i tried to enjoy the night as much as possible even with those opsticles in my way, considering it was also my first time attending a stadium gig and i was nervous for some reason.

But i don't know i will do that again, like so many i preffer the small venue gigs as you get more connection with the artist but i will make exception when it is a special event in a stadium/park or whatever.

I understand your pov, i agree to that as well to some exstant, I don't think i would want to do that again but knowing it was a big night i decided to come no matter what. My fear when i first booked the ticket that my seat was situated in a crappy place, it somewhat was as it was a bit far from the stage and there was the light stand blocking my view, but i tried to enjoy the night as much as possible even with those opsticles in my way, considering it was also my first time attending a stadium gig and i was nervous for some reason.

But i don't know i will do that again, like so many i preffer the small venue gigs as you get more connection with the artist but i will make exception when it is a special event in a stadium/park or whatever.

It seems that most of us agree with the fact that, as a once-off or special event we'll go, but not if it's the "one and only" type of concert that Mika will give.

I guess that this would be something that could be of interest to the man himself.....You know, market research is very important :wink2:.

It seems that most of us agree with the fact that, as a once-off or special event we'll go, but not if it's the "one and only" type of concert that Mika will give.

I guess that this would be something that could be of interest to the man himself.....You know, market research is very important :wink2:.

Yes very true, i really hope it will take a long long time before he will do stadium gigs only.

He should make a poll amoung his fans on the subject of stadium gigs vs. small venue gigs, his fans know best....:thumb_yello:

:naughty:

• 4 months later...