Favourite Writers

Pam Travers

Robert Rankin. (His books are without doubt the most funny and original (yet very smart) books I've ever read.)

Jonathan Safran Foer. (Only has two books out yet. 'Everything is Illuminated' and 'Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close'. I especially recommend the last one. Most touching book I've ever read.)

:wub2:

(And J.K. Rowling and Roald Dahl are brilliant too. Just like so many others of course. ^^)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

really? what did you read from him? did you read his essays?

i dont think ill ever be sure of what he said about warhol but there is sthg he once said that makes me laugh anytime i think of it:

"what other culture could have produced someone like hemingway and not seen the joke?"

i think it could work with madonna too, right? right.

Of course, I've read some of his essays and plays, but also

his novels, which I guess he's not as well-known for

-- like Burr, Julian, and of course, Myra Breckinridge.

I love his attention to detail and his sensibility, his humor.

He's authored a number of my favorite quotes -- the one you mention,

among them. (Also: It is not enough to succeed. Others must fail. :naughty:)

But as for Madonna -- sorry. Have been a huge fan since 1984-ish...

I think she's fabulous :blush-anim-cl:

dcdeb

Jonathan Kellerman: OMG... totally reignited my interest in crime fiction... *worships Alex Delaware*... Okay, Alex Delaware is a psychologist, and he helps his friend Milo (who's a cop) out with difficult cases and helps out in places where Milo can't do stuff (whether it's cause he's busy, or he can't do it legally)... and Alex being Alex, he gets himself into some sort of danger... Oh, and I really want a French Bulldog cause of his books... if it's a boy, his name will be Spike, of it's a girl, her name will be Blanche (Alex had a dog called Spike in most of the books, but he died :tears:, then his GF Robyn bought him a puppy and her name is Blanche)... and it's really cool cause his wife and son write too (I've read a bit of their stuff)! Talented family!

Matthew Reilly: Uses history, mythology and religion in some of his stuff... and his protagonists think of ways to solve problems that are unbelievable... I recommend reading Contest, Seven Ancient Wonders and Six Sacred Stones... And he's an Aussie... he actually published his first book (Contest) because every publisher in Oz turned him down...

John Marsden: The Tommorow, When The War Began series is excellent... I read Tommorow, When The War Began in year 8 or 9, and loved it... then a couple of years ago I found the series nad bought them all... basically, some kids go camping, and while they're camping the country gets invaded by another country... they end up trying to stop the enemies at every chance (by blowing sh!t up! They blow something up in each book!)

JK Rowling: Harry Potter... need I say more?

Stephanie Meyer: She's a new one... I loved Twilight, and I'm onto New Moon... and annoyed that Edward left... bastard!

OMG!!! I just found this out on Jonathan Kellerman's site!!!

The next Delaware novel, BONES, is completed and will be published in October.

This time, publication will be simultaneous in the US and the UK. Finally. Thank you, British readers, for your patience and loyalty.

I'm a happy little fangirl now! I hope it comes out around the same time in Oz! It would make a kick arse b'day pressie!

Oh, and I thought of another one... Stephen King! I loved Carrie, The Shining and The Green Mile... when I find some more I plan on buying them...

Of course, I've read some of his essays and plays, but also

his novels, which I guess he's not as well-known for

-- like Burr, Julian, and of course, Myra Breckinridge.

I love his attention to detail and his sensibility, his humor.

He's authored a number of my favorite quotes -- the one you mention,

among them. (Also: It is not enough to succeed. Others must fail. :naughty:)

But as for Madonna -- sorry. Have been a huge fan since 1984-ish...

I think she's fabulous :blush-anim-cl:

dcdeb

as for madonna....lol, you know im absolutely interested in hemingway, not his novels but all the rest, his life, his death, minimalism, his admiration for bukowski, sex and breaking things... i just like the quote of vidal, i think its funny with everyone, whatever the name you put in (its true that i dont like madonna though)

Jonathan Safran Foer. (Only has two books out yet. 'Everything is Illuminated' and 'Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close'. I especially recommend the last one. Most touching book I've ever read.)

im very fascinated by JSF because its everything i cant understand, ive forced myself to read everything is illuminated but i couldnt. i fell in love with the title but i really possibly cant go further.

do you hate realism in general?

im very fascinated by JSF because its everything i cant understand, ive forced myself to read everything is illuminated but i couldnt. i fell in love with the title but i really possibly cant go further.

This is making me curious as I have the latter lying around somewhere, but not started yet...

... and I don't like Madonna either. :naughty:

This is making me curious as I have the latter lying around somewhere, but not started yet...

... and I don't like Madonna either. :naughty:

well as im thinking about it right now(while mika is having the time of his life on hard candy) and the word that comes to my mouth when i think of her is "insincere" and you know what? thats exactly what i would say about JSF´s writing...now thats how i feel , i also find his writing deeply boring, though its supposed to be everything but boring, really i dont know, i just think i cant understand his books because ....

i will try to find the book now and pick any line to illustrate what im saying, go and take yours if you like

did you like my comment on MS?

who are your five favourite book writers?? (who are still alive)

I think I don't have five alive ones...maybe Neil Gaiman...Stephen King...oh I don't have favs alive ones!:bleh:

These are my fav favs (dead tho):

1.Franz Kafka :wub2:

2.Edgar Allan Poe

3.Jane Austin

4.Fjodor Dostojevski

5.William Shakespeare

:mf_rosetinted:

I think I don't have five alive ones...maybe Neil Gaiman...Stephen King...oh I don't have favs alive ones!:bleh:

These are my fav favs (dead tho):

1.Franz Kafka :wub2:

2.Edgar Allan Poe

3.Jane Austin

4.Fjodor Dostojevski

5.William Shakespeare

:mf_rosetinted:

Kafka? Really? I was just discussing him and Dostojevski in my english class the other day. My professor thinks Kafka is a comical genius.:blink:

The rest of us think the professor is crazy.:naughty:

But he's promised to show us the humor in Kafka's writing, so it'll be interesting to see what he comes up with. I personally found Metamorphosis heart-breaking.

Cecelia Ahern

Russell Brand

Not really a fan of anyone else alive :boxed:

I feel terrible while reading kafka. he seems like a very depressed and degenerated induvidual :P.

Joyce Carol Oates, Jonathan Safran Foer, Lionel Schriver, Ian McEwan and Phillip Pullman are my favourite alive writers. Sarte and Camus are also very good, but they are dead dead dead as you know...

I'd also like to add to my list of people who are still alive:

Chinua Achebe: Starkly honest Nigerian writer of African literature with deep religious and political overtones. I've read several of his books, but my favorite is the tragic Arrow of God, about an african chief priest and his clash with the british military who are interefering in local matters.

Joanne Harris: Author of Chocolat, which was made into a movie by the same name not too long ago. My favorite book of hers is Five Quarters of The Orange, a beautiful novel set in France. The narrator, Framboise, talks about growing up during World War 2, and the German occupation of France. There's a feel of innocence over a darker meaning (much like some of Mika's songs:bleh:) when her and her brother befriend a German officer and unknowingly and unthinkingly give him information on the locals planning to revolt, which he naturally passes on to his superiors. What always strikes me about Harris's writing is the detail. She is very appreciative of traditional french cuisine and it shows in her description of berries, tomatoes, spices, bread, the farms her characters grow up on. It makes you feel like you're actually in the french countryside.:wub2:

...Ok, I'm done fangrrling for now.:bleh: