The Australian Thread: Part Seventeen

Rainbow Sky

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummm, I think Jack Harkness is not portrayed as promiscious and non-monogamous since it's never mentioned or implied whether he has or hasn't been with more than one person at the same time - I'd say he's portrayed as merely very flirtatious (an example of the polyamorous/polysexual portrayal would be Puccini For Beginners where the main character is a lesbian who dates both a man and a woman without their knowledge).

Aside from how they're portrayed the actual number of bisexual characters is far less than gay ones so that either is a good point for your essay since it's an example of limited representation (although new examples include the character '13' in House who is represented as promiscous and self-destructive in reaction to her oncoming Huntington's disease and Callie in Grey's Anatomy who so far has been overall a pretty realistic and non-judgemental portrayal) or it could be a bad point for your essay since there are few examples. As for portrayals, often bisexuals are represented as criminals, especially ones who use sex to manipulate other people of both genders (e.g. Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct). An additional point that you could make is that females are portrayed more often as bisexual or involved in same-sex behaviours than males in Western media - maybe a reflection of the aversion to male intimacy and feeding into the niche market of males who enjoy watching female same-sex behaviour? Also bisexuality or same-sex behaviour in general is also often portrayed as just a 'phase' or 'experiment' (I think there was a character in the O.C. who tried it then returned to men? Katy Perry's 'I Kissed A Girl' is another example). Bisexuality in females is also sometimes portrayed as clinging to patriarchal privilege through their male partner in addition to heterosexual privilege (such as Tina in the L Word dating a man after identifying as a lesbian for 8 and a half years and losing the support of her gay friends). Also, people who could be considered bisexual are often claimed as gay - perhaps due to biphobia (e.g. Tina in the L Word who continued to identify as a lesbian even though she was with Henry since she believes it to be a 'political' label, or in Go Fish when a lesbian is persecuted for having sex with men and told to identify as a bisexual not lesbian, or you could even go back to people like Sappho who is touted a lesbian but had relationships with men too or heck even Oscar Wilde who was married and had children in addition to his male affairs.) Hmm, so I guess there was more to say on the matter of bisexual representations than I originally thought.

A question: is your essay limited to particular media sources e.g. film, TV, music, newspapers, blogs, books? Is it limited to fictional or non-fictional representation? Is it limited to English-language/Western portrayals?

A good source of examples of gay representations in film and TV (but don't really mention bisexuals much) are two documentaries titled 'Fabulous: the Story of Queer Cinema' and 'The Celluloid Closet' (which I can tell you where to download if you want.)

Not sure as to what the essay is limited to but I think its pretty broad in the representations we can chose, as long as we have enough knowledge on them to be able to back it up. We only have a vague topic, as its for the exam (and we get the actual question only in the exam), and its only 1000 words.

The Marissa and Alex OC relationship actually features heavily in one of our readings, and yeah, is basically a phase on behalf of marissa that starts positive but ends with her using it as a form of rebellion and her going back into Ryans arms with little mention in future episodes about it. Plus Alex ends up being all possessive and threatening in the end.

And the limited representation of bisexuals in comparison gay and lesbian characters is another point I can make.

Hmm you'e given me lots to think about. Thanks twatty :thumb_yello:

Pattern of behaviour.

Temptation island. :naughty:

That's easy. DC and Bec can have them. whoever they are[/color][/color]

*hmph* So because I've procrastinated in the past you assume I'll procrastinate in the future? *zhhz*

Oh god Temptation Island, now that was trashy tv.

And who said I even wanted custody? :boxed:

Not sure as to what the essay is limited to but I think its pretty broad in the representations we can chose, as long as we have enough knowledge on them to be able to back it up. We only have a vague topic, as its for the exam (and we get the actual question only in the exam), and its only 1000 words.

The Marissa and Alex OC relationship actually features heavily in one of our readings, and yeah, is basically a phase on behalf of marissa that starts positive but ends with her using it as a form of rebellion and her going back into Ryans arms with little mention in future episodes about it. Plus Alex ends up being all possessive and threatening in the end.

And the limited representation of bisexuals in comparison gay and lesbian characters is another point I can make.

Hmm you'e given me lots to think about. Thanks twatty :thumb_yello

Ah, good luck with the exam then. When is it? And for which subject? If you have any questions or want further examples (the ones I mentioned are just those which I remember at the top of my head) PM me. :thumb_yello:

:shocked: at the essay discussion, I think I have a headache now.

Identity politics gives me a headache too.

Ah, good luck with the exam then. When is it? And for which subject? If you have any questions or want further examples (the ones I mentioned are just those which I remember at the top of my head) PM me. :thumb_yello:

Its on monday. Two essay topics. Its for my sociology of sexuality unit, and I'm beginning to worry about it.

I think those examples should be good ones, it is only a short essay and I already write too much as is :naughty:

Now i need to think about picking another topic.

That's what I forgot to MQ...that was a great blog....you could take a leaf out of her book....and I'm still waiting on Ambrose to make a blog.

:sneaky2:

Ambrose is as good at procrastinating as his owner :naughty:

Oh - poison dart frogs are lovely - so tiny - such beautiful colours - so DEADLY POISONOUS

And dolphins (is that river dolphins or the sea-going varieties?)

Hmmm. I think sea going variety, it looks like there is lots of water in the pictures I stalked. And it said to bring latex gloves for frog handling - I'll survive! :roftl:

EDIT: Hang on, well, the place is called Golfo Dulce, it's a bit of ocean cut off from the proper ocean. So I guess that classifies as sea-going? Yeah?

Hello :sorry: I haven't been posting much, but I have been popping in and reading.

This is probably posted somewhere, but is the new DVD being released on Monday here in Australia too?

:shocked: at the essay discussion, I think I have a headache now.

It looks like it'll be the 15th from most sources, but as far as I know JB Hifi hasn't even released any news yet .. so I wouldn't get any hopes up.

And I agree, Obama is a big step in the right direction. I think it'll happen, maybe in 10 years. I doubt it'll happen while so many of the old fashioned mindsets are still alive.. Most people over 50 aren't accepting of Gay relationships. And, in America, they are more likely to vote than the younger generation. Sooooooo... once more younger people start to vote, and more older people stop voting (die) it'll happen. Rotation of opinions.

[/end ramble]

A lot more of the younger population turned out to vote for this election, though. Let's hope they keep it up.

Yes, they're handling it with a great deal of dignity and grace.

I'm as proud of them as I am of McCain. Very well done.:thumb_yello:

I know *I* wasn't so gracious when the Tories won Canada's latest election...I spammed about 800 threads with profanity...

I think Obama may influence Rudd in a positive way. :wink2:

Let's hope he does the same to Stephen bloody Harper. *feels like swearing again*

Guess what?

I honestly actually don't feel like reading back today. :blink: For like the first time since joining :naughty: Was anything said to me or that would be of interest to me? Has SD come back yet?

I got all my Costa Rica information. My project is with dolphins and poison dart frogs. Petra is completely petrified of frogs, and it's hilarious.

Artsy, I'm staying at the Holiday Inn in LA, I think it's expensive there :naughty:

Ummm...OBAMA WON THE ELECTION and that's basically all we've been talking about...

ER's blog ... in ... Tyler Summer's blog ... :stretcher: WAY AWESOME! :shocked:

YESS! I knoww! That was the most important thing you missed...

I rammed my car into the side of his pretty new girlfriend's tanned new hyde....broke my key with his limousiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

or something :harp:

I dug my key into the side of his pretty little souped-up 4-wheel drive...carved my name into his leather seeeeeeeat.

But I like your version better.

hmphbg6DC.gif I shouldn't have to. My channel {V} is widescreen because of them.. hmphbg6DC.gif

*gigglesnort*

Photos from the project...

565534_11929594236467.jpg

This person isn't wearing gloves though...

565534_11923805008464.jpg

http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/17696/

Here's a summary from the ISV site:

Wildlife Survey in Golfo Dulce Project is located within a pristine tropical fjord and involves researching the living marine and wildlife resources in Osa Peninsula. The project goals are to determine habitat use of indicator species in land and marine habitats such as spotted dolphins and rainforest frogs. The information obtained will constitute an important asset to the understanding of the ecological dynamic of Osa's ecosystems provide a head start towards achieving a comprehensive baseline in the development of management strategies for the area.

Does anyone know how to clear your sinuses when you *almost* snort something through your nose?:blink:

:roftl:

What happens if they don't wear gloves? Does the poison seep into their skin?:shocked:

I have no idea, I only skim read the information package :naughty: Maybe they have to be in dart form to be poisonous (:lmfao:)

Yes :naughty:

Nope, wikipedia says they secrete the poison through their skin :shocked:

Fair enough.:naughty:

:shocked:And you're going to be working with these things?

Oh, and Twatty....protests and legal challenges are overflowing in the streets over Prop 8. There's a massive demonstration going on in LA tonight.

Never tried it. I have to be careful what I take. If Mersyndol is anti-inflammatory then it's not such a good idea. Codeine has many benefits for me. And I think I know what's wrong, and it's not Crohns.

I don't believe it was tea you choked on. :fisch:

So long as you're ok :wub2:...OMG that reminds me, how's Teegs...did she have her tests?

:shocked: Disgusting, dirty, depraved, perverted little girl :roftl:...besides if you could see what worked on this floor, you wouldn't even be suggesting such a thing:naughty:

Ambrose is as good at procrastinating as his owner

Yeah, but Ambrose is cute and has personality so I forgive him :fisch:

Photos from the project...

565534_11929594236467.jpg

This person isn't wearing gloves though...

http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/17696/

Here's a summary from the ISV site:

I love dolphins...swam with them at Seaworld! That frog is soooo cute.

Do you mean that you already snorted something and need to clear them.

Or you wan't to snort something in the hope of clearing them?

I mean I already snorted something, and it didn't go all the way through. I've been making fascinating noises for the last hour trying to get it out.:naughty:

I mean I already snorted something, and it didn't go all the way through. I've been making fascinating noises for the last hour trying to get it out.:naughty:

OMG what was it?

My dd stuck a bead up her nose and we took her to the hospital, it ended up rolling out when she started to suck a bottle though :blink: (after waiting over an hour in the waiting room)

She did the same thing the next day :shocked: and I got it out by sucking with a drinking straw.

Maybe a hot shower with lots of steam and snort the water?