Rainbow Sky

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sooo late for work and I need my coffee :naughty:

*makes a "special" thermos of coffee to go*

I don't think that everyone sees it as 'settling'. Yes there are those that want both the name as well as the rights, but if you look at the trend of opposite-sex couples more and more are in domestic arrangements as opposed to marriage so some would argue that the institution of marriage is a dying one and we might as well skip the step of fighting for same-sex marriage and institute civil unions instead.

I'm sorry Twatty, I didn't mean anything by saying "settling"! When I discuss things like this I get a tad upset and my fingers fly faster than my brain....I do understand and agree with you but I still think that if gay couples wish to be married there should be no reason that they can't and don't start me on the gay parents issue!

It's like the whole race thing for me....I just don't get why people are like that...I know that's naive but it just doesn't make any sense to me at all:thumbdown: I do tend to get angry and emotional quite easily about this stuff and forget the practicalities and the feelings of the people that actually have to deal with this crap on a daily basis!

I think we may be even more behind in Australia, especially since legislation at the Federal level was amended in 2004 to explicitly ban same-sex marriage (and of course the state level cannot be in conflict with the Commonwealth, hooray :sneaky2:). Current and proposed state-based 'same-sex relationship registries' are very inconsistent and don't afford many legal rights, especially on the matter of adoption which still isn't allowed in most states. Both the Rudd administration and the opposition are very strongly opposed and pro gay rights parties like the Greens really don't have that much sway. :thumbdown:

I think that Australia very much looks to the USA for leadership (just look at the Howard-Bush relationship :boxed:) and I guess that's why American politics are important to Australians.

EDIT:

TP. I think that if the USA takes the lead then Australia may follow, but not before that.

I don't think there's any doubt we're alot further behind in Australia. I think alot of our legislation is way behind the times.

What we really need is the Green party to get stronger and give the two major parties a real run...I can't ever see it happening unfortunately but hopefully one day.

Please don't mention Howard and Bush....let's just rejoice in the fact that both are now gone. I don't really like the whole looking up to the US thing but that's just my opinion.

I think Obama may influence Rudd in a positive way.

*crosses fingers*

I am very attached to them - and Poppy does tend to look after

little Smudge - but I really can't keep two more dogs - I already

have two!!

:bonk: It's hard enough for me!!!!!!!!!! :naughty:

I am so glad Obama won - and I think he will work well with Gordon

Brown, and bring some stability in this difficult time.

I just wish his Grandmother had lived another few days to see this!! :tears:

OMG that's a sign....4 is my favourite number...you have to keep Poppy and Smudge now!:wink2:

I'm starting to get a complex...everyone likes bashing me over the head :naughty:

It would have been nice if she had lived to see him become President.

My b/f has just turned 60 - and he still acts 14!!!

That's nice...it's good to have a little bit of mischief in you at that age!:wink2:

I'm sorry Twatty, I didn't mean anything by saying "settling"! When I discuss things like this I get a tad upset and my fingers fly faster than my brain....I do understand and agree with you but I still think that if gay couples wish to be married there should be no reason that they can't and don't start me on the gay parents issue!

It's like the whole race thing for me....I just don't get why people are like that...I know that's naive but it just doesn't make any sense to me at all:thumbdown: I do tend to get angry and emotional quite easily about this stuff and forget the practicalities and the feelings of the people that actually have to deal with this crap on a daily basis!

No need to be sorry, I was just offering an alternate point of view for balance. :bleh:

I don't think there's any doubt we're alot further behind in Australia. I think alot of our legislation is way behind the times.

Australian legislation is most definitely behind, we currently have 100 federal law statutes which use the phrase 'member of the opposite sex'. :thumbdown:

What we really need is the Green party to get stronger and give the two major parties a real run...I can't ever see it happening unfortunately but hopefully one day.

With 24 members of parliament the Greens apply pressure to the two-party system but clearly not enough considering that pro gay rights bills hardly ever get passed. I'm sad to say that members of my family used to vote Greens until they learnt about their pro gay rights stance (but I don't think they know that the party's leader Bob Brown is gay himself, it's strange that not many people seem to know that).

Edited by SuperTwat

Well that is true, we don't like to dive into the deep end...I mean we sure took our sweet time saying sorry!

So shameful it took as long as it did. But obviously it had to be done by a PM who wasn't a poly during the Stolen Gen years..

Are you trying to say that I wouldn't have to drug you to take advantage or no one would have to drug me to take advantage

Maybe both :das:

Ditto and nice one....if I dated an aboriginal period it would kill half of them....mum's the youngest of 11 but I'm an only child and it's only been the two of us my whole life so maybe I've influenced her as well *shrugs*

*high 5*

You should have heard the fights I caused over the sorry issue....did not go down well but at least I can say mum is neither homophobic nor racist!

That's good. Mine's same. And no one was game enough to say anything against it around me. They know how I feel.

Kelzy

Wendy!!:sneaky2::wub2:

I am so glad Obama won - and I think he will work well with Gordon

Brown, and bring some stability in this difficult time.

I just wish his Grandmother had lived another few days to see this!!

Yes. That's so sad. :tears:She must've been proud of him.

Just had what came dangerously close to a "no, you hang up first!" conversation with dishpig.

God, what am I doing? I'm a grown woman!

:roftl:

Yay Tan for Pink Tix!!

WB Lyndal :bye:

*crosses fingers*

OMG that's a sign....4 is my favourite number...you have to keep Poppy and Smudge now!

I'm starting to get a complex...everyone likes bashing me over the head

It would have been nice if she had lived to see him become President.

That's nice...it's good to have a little bit of mischief in you at that age!

*rubs Tan's head better and promises not to bonk you again*

Three is MY lucky number :sneaky2::roftl:

It's the mischief that keeps the romance alive!!! :das:

Wendy!!:sneaky2::wub2:

:blush-anim-cl::wub2:

I was going to mq but dinners ready.

FMBM even if you can marry Kelz in Arizona, wouldn't that be illegal on the fact that she's your mother? Or is there a state where that doesn't matter? :naughty:

Woo for Obama winning.

I shall be back later after food, whilst struggling to remmeber the million things I've forgotten to say

Emphasis: Arizona is...NOW.:naughty:

I'm confused, I just read this:

"A ban on gay marriage was approved in Arizona and a similar measure looked set to pass in Florida. Meanwhile in Arkansas, voters approved a measure banning unmarried couples from serving as adoptive or foster parents."

@ The Telegraph, posted only a few minutes ago. :blink:

I was going to mq but dinners ready.

FMBM even if you can marry Kelz in Arizona, wouldn't that be illegal on the fact that she's your mother? Or is there a state where that doesn't matter? :naughty:

Woo for Obama winning.

I shall be back later after food, whilst struggling to remmeber the million things I've forgotten to say

Good eveningk! We can providing we disown each other first. :wink2:

What food?

And I just wanna say TG for panadeine. :thumb_yello:

Pink tickets. you were lucky to get them didnt they sell out in like 30secs?

anyways im back if anyone cared

Not quite 30 seconds but very close:wink2: People were getting quite nasty too. There were 75 people lined up just where I was and I missed out on the first four and had to wait until 10 when the next one went on sale! In the end there were 7 sold out shows just in Melbourne!

No need to be sorry, I was just offering an alternate point of view for balance.

Australian legislation is most definitely behind, we currently have 100 federal law statutes which use the phrase 'member of the opposite sex'.

With 24 members of parliament the Greens apply pressure to the two-party system but clearly not enough considering that pro gay rights bills hardly ever get passed. I'm sad to say that members of my family used to vote Greens until they learnt about their pro gay rights stance (but I don't think they know that the party's leader Bob Brown is gay himself, it's strange that not many people seem to know that).

...and that's how it should be too! :wink2:

Tell me about it!

I always vote green but you still have to be careful where the preferences go! See, I don't understand that...if they thought enough of the Greens to vote for them why should a pro gay rights stance alter that? I didn't know Bob was gay either!

So shameful it took as long as it did. But obviously it had to be done by a PM who wasn't a poly during the Stolen Gen years..

Maybe both

*high 5*

That's good. Mine's same. And no one was game enough to say anything against it around me. They know how I feel.

Yay Tan for Pink Tix!!

True but then again he didn't see why he should apologise for something he didn't do personally!

:das: :das:

Can't remember what the high 5 was for so I have nothing to say!

I think they do it deliberately to me because they know how strongly I feel and they like to wind me up....and then they get pi**ed coz I let fly and they don't like it!

:punk:

*rubs Tan's head better and promises not to bonk you again*

Three is MY lucky number

It's the mischief that keeps the romance alive!!!

*waits patiently for Kelzy's comments on the bonking* :naughty:

3 is uneven and I like things to be neat....4 is a nice round number!

Woo hoo!

FMBM even if you can marry Kelz in Arizona, wouldn't that be illegal on the fact that she's your mother? Or is there a state where that doesn't matter?

OMG this place is it's very own soap opera!

I'm confused, I just read this:

"A ban on gay marriage was approved in Arizona and a similar measure looked set to pass in Florida. Meanwhile in Arkansas, voters approved a measure banning unmarried couples from serving as adoptive or foster parents."

@ The Telegraph, posted only a few minutes ago.

This is the stuff that gives me the sh!ts big time. Yep, we're banning unmarried couples from serving as adoptive or foster parents but our main targets are gays and lesbians....MORONS:thumbdown:

I always vote green but you still have to be careful where the preferences go!

See, I don't understand that...if they thought enough of the Greens to vote for them why should a pro gay rights stance alter that?

I didn't know Bob was gay either!

Yeah, one has to be careful where the preferences go, which is why I was glad my Greens vote ended up with Labor and not the Coalition (although I think Rudd is just 'Howard Lite' it's better than the original :rolls_eyes:).

I guess their religious views trumped policy. :blink:

LOL, you too? Bob Brown is indeed Australia's first openly gay Member of Parliament. :thumb_yello:

This is the stuff that gives me the sh!ts big time. Yep, we're banning unmarried couples from serving as adoptive or foster parents but our main targets are gays and lesbians....MORONS :thumbdown:

It affects all unmarried couples in general, seriously how silly is that when so many children don't have proper homes. :thumbdown:

My sister's ex's son was out of control - they had tried everything, so the

authorities took him into care aged 12. He was placed with a gay couple,

and he has never been better. He does not truant, has stopped

stealing, drinking and smoking - and is doing really well at school now.

Its about unconditional love, support and boundaries - and that is not

something that can be regulated for by sex of the parents!!

Edited by Wendi

On the same topic, I just posted a link to Barack Obama's "Letter to LGBT Americans" (http://obama.3cdn.net/36ddd2f5daac41cb21_rym6bxaax.pdf) in another thread. I'm actually really impressed and looking forward to see how he acts on it.

I had not seen that before - it's going to be really interesting seeing

him go to work!!! He is a very eloquent speaker!! :thumb_yello:

Good eveningk! We can providing we disown each other first. :wink2:

What food?

Ah... but disowning would just confuse things more :naughty:

Pizza... not exactly the food of champions, but no one could be bothered cooking. I'm worn out from driving to Avalon and back :naughty:

How is everyone this eveningk?

True but then again he didn't see why he should apologise for something he didn't do personally!

True. But he should've been saying it on behalf of the government, not himself.

:das: :das:

Perve.

I think they do it deliberately to me because they know how strongly I feel and they like to wind me up....and then they get pi**ed coz I let fly and they don't like it!

I'm normally not an argumentative person, so I'll listen to alot of crap before I unexpectedly let fly.

*waits patiently for Kelzy's comments on the bonking*

I must be mellowing. I didn't think of making any remarks at all.

OMG this place is it's very own soap opera!

They're crazy bitches.

Kelzy - NO comment on bonking!!!!

I have a cat as well, so I have 4 pets!!!

I know! I suck tonight. I had severe cramps earlier that took me from upright to crawling in agony within seconds. Very unexpected. I think something bad happened in my plumbing. So, I'm kinda not "with it" atm.

Awww. What's your pussehs name? I have four pussehs :blush-anim-cl:

LOL, you too? Bob Brown is indeed Australia's first openly gay Member of Parliament.

It affects all unmarried couples in general, seriously how silly is that when so many children don't have proper homes.

I didn't know that!

Very silly.

My sister's ex's son was out of control - they had tried everything, so the

authorities took him into care aged 12. He was placed with a gay couple,

and he has never been better. He does not truant, has stopped

stealing, drinking and smoking - and is doing really well at school now.

Its about unconditional love, support and boundaries - and that is not

something that can be regulated for by sex of the parents!!

Oh, that's good!

On the same topic, I just posted a link to Barack Obama's "Letter to LGBT Americans" (http://obama.3cdn.net/36ddd2f5daac41cb21_rym6bxaax.pdf) in another thread. I'm actually really impressed and looking forward to see how he acts on it.

That was good! Impressed indeed.

Ah... but disowning would just confuse things more

Pizza... not exactly the food of champions, but no one could be bothered cooking. I'm worn out from driving to Avalon and back

How is everyone this eveningk?

How can things get more confusing? And are you Nono's step mother too?

Pizza. Yum. What sort of pizza? Where from? 20 questions..

How was the trip back by yourself?