Reviews dvd Parc Des Princes

Moonlightchild

hi! i bought the DVD last week and i watched the documentary first - as usual. it was very nice and exciting to watch it, but it kinda left me with a weird feeling - i haven't figured out the reason yet.

anyway, i am happy i bought it and there's some nice stuff on it. honestly, the dressing scenes are a bit boring. my highlight is Mrs. Penniman's face when Yasmine is struggling with the tree on her head. :naughty:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I have watched both the making and the performance!

He is such a brilliant artist with his magical voice and piano playing skills:wub2: and, in my humble opinion; he really doesn’t need all that reinforcement behind him and around him to go through to his audience.

Exactly.

Still he can kinda pull off both in a strange way :roftl:

In my ideal world there had to be the visually/conceptually focused Mika, carrying out his ideas to the extreme without being in it in the end on the one hand :naughty:, and the singer/songwriter/performer on the other one.

But then this is not quite true either, because from the beginning he made it a point that the visual aspect is inseparably linked to his music. It's really difficult. I mean, it made me really sad to hear him say he wanted to use the PdP concert as a template for any of his future shows. He made it pretty clear that there is no intention to go back. So a part of me really wishes I hadn't seen him for myself in comparably small-ish venues earlier without all the additional (amazing and brilliant but also being a bit in the way) visual brouhaha.

I haven't got the new DVD yet but I recall being suprized at the last one not having a single swear word it............that IS clever editting! :roftl::roftl::roftl:

are the swear words also editied out on this DVD? because if they aren't i'm gonna have a hard time watching my DVD in the lounge. when it arrives!)

my family is cool with most things, but swearing they cannot abide...

are the swear words also editied out on this DVD? because if they aren't i'm gonna have a hard time watching my DVD in the lounge. when it arrives!)

It has an m rating in aus for coarse language :wink2:

Exactly.

In my ideal world there had to be the visually/conceptually focused Mika, carrying out his ideas to the extreme without being in it in the end on the one hand :naughty:, and the singer/songwriter/performer on the other one.

But then this is not quite true either, because from the beginning he made it a point that the visual aspect is inseparably linked to his music. It's really difficult. I mean, it made me really sad to hear him say he wanted to use the PdP concert as a template for any of his future shows. He made it pretty clear that there is no intention to go back. So a part of me really wishes I hadn't seen him for myself in comparably small-ish venues earlier without all the additional (amazing and brilliant but also being a bit in the way) visual brouhaha.

Sigh!

I didn’t know that.

The thing that visuals were a part of his music, yes, but not that he saw the Pdp concert as a model or standard (blame it on the back ground music!:naughty:)and it makes me sad to hear.

But…on the other hand…and this is true Pollyanna thought…this makes us as a fan club even more important to express how we feel about it!

How else would he be aware of it?:naughty:

I have to think about how we, loud and clear, can let our boy know this, of course Pdp was fantastic, but to do smaller shows like Madrid:wub2: (or the one Biene went to which really seemed to have been something extraordinary, was it Arras?) is ever so appreciated for the future.

Someone who knows more than I do about the show business could add the advantages of smaller shows!

There has to be some….:blink:

Just tell them it’s French!:wink2:

Exactly.

I know what you mean, because this is exactly how I feel about the whole thing. It's quite bittersweet.

Part of me loves the fact that he now has the possibility and resources to make all his craziest visual concepts come true, and I do admire him for that vision and creativity, and for actually making it happen. Nobody can contest the fact that it is appealling, and impressive.

On the other hand, the Mika experience for me is a far more organic and raw thing than that, and all the visual brouhaha (as you so well put it :naughty:) just gets in the way, and it lessens the magic for me.

When I see the older Mika appearances, where it was all about his music and he was just there, on the stage, singing and being himself, I feel a pang of sadness. He wasn't a performer there, he was just the pure, raw talent and charm.

To me, that visual is a million times stronger than the current "dazzling" circus master and polished routine that we're seeing now. I felt that the older Mika was more powerful due to his simplicity if that makes any sense...And to me it also felt more real and, dare I say, more honest :blush-anim-cl:.

I can't help feeling a bit sad about this. I was listening to an old radio 1 interview yesterday where his Grace Kelly number 1 was revealed, and all the memories of how Mika made me feel came flooding through.

His utter charm, loveliness, freshness, it was so lovely that I have no words to describe it. And I'm not ashamed to say that I miss that to a certain degree.

Maybe the change was inevitable, but it still feels a bit wrong. I'm sure that he hasn't inherently changed, so why has his public persona changed so much?:boxed:

I know what you mean, because this is exactly how I feel about the whole thing. It's quite bittersweet.

.../...

[color=purple.And to me it also felt more real and, dare I say, more honest :blush-anim-cl:.[/color]

[

Couldn't agree more ; to me, rather bitter :emot-sad: than sweet though...

'more honest' => Hear ! Hear ! How hypocritical of him to repeat that music comes first, obviously, if it's a token statement and, let's face it, an hypocritical one !

I can see some beam of hope though : he is still experimenting and might well make an about turn :cheerful_h4h: in the years to come...

When I see the older Mika appearances, where it was all about his music and he was just there, on the stage, singing and being himself, I feel a pang of sadness.

Yeah me too. I really enjoyed watching the evolution from the very early days to when he started becoming more of a performer. He actually seemed to be connecting with the audience more as the shows got bigger and I preferred a lot of the musical changes as he extended songs, played with the arrangements and added some numbers to the setlist.

But all this visual stuff is more or less meaningless to me, even going back to the artwork for LICM. I can certainly appreciate it on some level but it doesn't incite passion the way music does. I will look at these drawings, his bespoke shoes, the circus performers, the tapdancing astronaut, the set, etc. once or twice with interest. If I wasn't a member of MFC where these things were discussed all the time I would quickly forget about them and more likely, not have taken much notice in the first place.

It is the music I want to experience 1,000 times over, not the visual aspects. For me the balance has just tipped too far in the wrong direction and I now find myself nostalgic for those early days and simple performances.

I hope that this is just a temporary feeling brought on by the fact that we've only heard one new song in over a year so these visual bits (costumes, performers, sets, DVDs, vlogs) are the only novelty we've experienced for ages. When his next single is climbing the charts I hope to recapture some of that magic from early 2007.

I guess it WAS inevitable that the performance was going to change to a certain degree. I too love the early recordings...........I love the fact that he barely looks at the camera and sings almost exclusively to Martin! However, it HAS been great to see him evolve and develop and to watch his confidence grow. It is my opinion that he probably does love the opportunity to let his imagination run wild and express his creativity.........but I also think that he will still enjoy the small simple gigs as well. I hope so anyway.

Thank you violet_sky, Sariflor, Christine and Kath for your interesting and explicit comments!:wub2:

Now let's put our hope to the possibility the man himself comes passing by for a moment of worthwhile reading!:wink2:

I guess it WAS inevitable that the performance was going to change to a certain degree.

I agree. I think the days with the "small" concerts are over. Because he get more fans, it has to be bigger. I like the visual aspect though. The westerpark gig is the best concert I've ever been to.

I guess it WAS inevitable that the performance was going to change to a certain degree. I too love the early recordings...........I love the fact that he barely looks at the camera and sings almost exclusively to Martin! However, it HAS been great to see him evolve and develop and to watch his confidence grow. It is my opinion that he probably does love the opportunity to let his imagination run wild and express his creativity.........but I also think that he will still enjoy the small simple gigs as well. I hope so anyway.

I hope so too ... I really do... :thumb_yello:

with a voice like his... a talent like his... less can be easily more... at least for me...

that being said, I also like the way he evolved... and see how his interpretation of the same songs have grown with time.. and I understand his 360 degrees approach to art... from wardrobe, to dancers, to background visuals, album artwork, theme, etc...

but can not help remember the first time I heard him online on his myspace website January 2007... when I didn't even see a video clip yet.. and was totally in love with his voice and talent... :thumb_yello:

to me the fashion side is nice... just not essential... or core ... not with a voice and music like his .. and he can easily pull a perfect show by just singing, smiling back to his audience and interacting with them...

with a voice like his... a talent like his... less can be easily more... at least for me...

that being said, I also like the way he evolved... and see how his interpretation of the same songs have grown with time.. and I understand his 360 degrees approach to art... from wardrobe, to dancers, to background visuals, album artwork, theme, etc...

but can not help remember the first time I heard him online on his myspace website January 2007... when I didn't even see a video clip yet.. and was totally in love with his voice and talent... :thumb_yello:

to me the fashion side is nice... just not essential... or core ... not with a voice and music like his .. and he can easily pull a perfect show by just singing, smiling back to his audience and interacting with them...[/QUOTE]

Yes, I totally agree.............I was a goner long before I even knew what he looked like....it was absolutely the voice and the music.

And I also agree that he can do a perfect show just very simply

to me the fashion side is nice... just not essential... or core ... not with a voice and music like his .. and he can easily pull a perfect show by just singing, smiling back to his audience and interacting with them...[/QUOTE]

Yes, I totally agree.............I was a goner long before I even knew what he looked like....it was absolutely the voice and the music.

And I also agree that he can do a perfect show just very simply

First I thought he was very ugly, but then I had only seen the GK vid and the ugly official pics which I always found scary, so actually it was the voice and music for me too.

I'd like to see a show like that.

But honestly I don't really care if the gigs look like PDP or like some of his first gigs..

As long as the vibe, the music/voice and interaction with audience are good, I love it.

First I thought he was very ugly, but then I had only seen the GK vid and the ugly official pics which I always found scary, so actually it was the voice and music for me too.

But honestly I don't really care if the gigs look like PDP or like some of his first gigs..

As long as the vibe, the music/voice and interaction with audience are good, I love it.

Xlindee.. your description made me laugh so hard :roftl:

his profile picture on my space wasn't that scary! :roftl:

I remember thinking that he really looks exactly like my nephew... just an older version of him...

I agree with your point... what makes a good gig is not the glam... just the overall vibe, music and interaction with the audience :thumb_yello:

Well, yes, I have to agree. Given a choice I would definatetly choose the small, leaning on the stage type venue................but I would go anywhere:mf_rosetinted:

Yes, I totally agree.............I was a goner long before I even knew what he looked like....it was absolutely the voice and the music.And I also agree that he can do a perfect show just very simply

Same for me. His charisma came through in his radio interviews as well as in his music. I was hooked straight away. No visuals at all.

And remember at that time, there were few, very few videos or photographs available online anyway.

Haha I thought he was odd looking, not ugly, but soon changed my mind.

I agree with your last statement, but unfortunately PdP didn't do it for me at all. Just left me feeling really empty.

Same for me. His charisma came through in his radio interviews as well as in his music. I was hooked straight away. No visuals at all.

And remember at that time, there were few, very few videos or photographs available online anyway.

Yep................I remember searching .................which is what ultimatetly led me here..................it was all downhill from there really:roftl:

Yep................I remember searching .................which is what ultimatetly led me here..................it was all downhill from there really:roftl:

Actually yes, it's what led me here too. Oh dear. :naughty:

Now I'm quoting myself :lmfao: