Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

found F...it's the virgin Mary

virgin_mary_in_tree_0828081.jpg

but still....a popular image....not a real work of art!:thumb_yello:

Hi All

This is a fascinating thread

This is described as Our Lady of Grace on this page, but it is reversed and the halo is a circle of stars

http://coffeecatholic.blogspot.com/2008/09/shouldnt-catholic-church-change-its.html

Our Lady of Guadalupe, also called the Virgin of Guadalupe (Spanish: Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe or Virgen de Guadalupe) is a 16th century Roman Catholic icon from Mexico representing a Marian apparition. It is perhaps Mexico's most popular religious and cultural image. Our Lady of Guadalupe's feast day is celebrated on 12 December, commemorating the account of her appearances to Saint Juan Diego on the hill of Tepeyac near Mexico City from 9 through 12 December 1531.

The Virgin of Guadalupe is a symbol of significant importance to Mexican Catholics. She is recognized as "Patroness of the Americas". The Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico City is the second most visited Roman Catholic shrine in the world.

The Virgin of Guadalupe has also symbolized the Mexican nation since the Mexican War of Independence. Both Miguel Hidalgo and Emiliano Zapata's armies traveled underneath Guadalupan flags, and Our Lady of Guadalupe is generally recognized as a symbol of all Mexicans. The Mexican novelist Carlos Fuentes once said that "...one may no longer consider himself a Christian, but you cannot truly be considered a Mexican unless you believe in the Virgin of Guadalupe."[1]

Nobel Literature laureate Octavio Paz wrote in 1974 that "the Mexican people, after more than two centuries of experiments, have faith only in the Virgin of Guadalupe and the National Lottery....

this is interesting. it looks like a catholic-typre bracelet, which i don't believe in, i believe in the original writings of the bible without the extra unidentified books (like tobias) but still interesting..

This thread was inspired by a discussion on the blog thread re Mika's hat and Our Lady of Guadeloup, also found on the bracelet. It's more about art than theology.

One thing that strikes me is that these Catholic images, and the Buddhist images, are similar to cartoons. They communicate simple religious ideas through symbols in a very approachable way - they are a sort of "folk art", particularly useful in past times when many ordinary folk couldn't read. There are similarities with the way Mika uses pop music - a simple, accessible art form with which he communicates quite complex emotions .

You are unique dear! It's just your bracelet that isn't .

:naughty: You always know what to say.

Lovely bracelet!!! And lovely thread. I'm afraid I cannot be of any help since I wasn't brought up catholic and in Holland it's different from Italy and Portugal, you don't see many pictures of Saints here.

I remember being a teenager, and having a Bhuddist friend (whom I lost contact with unfortunatly). I was so intrigued by that religion. My friend studied in Nepal, she became a painter of religious Bhuddist paintings. They are very beautiful as well.

I love Buddhist paintings. I'm also a fan of Greek Mythology (No expert though)

Guess the Apostle is John, have no time right now, gotta rush but later i'll try to find evidence see ya

Good guess. I agree.

Don't know if it's been said already but B looks like this famous painting by Van Dijk to me:

5797934.jpg

So even if it ain't the same painting, according to the Bible, the characters are Mary, Mary Magdalena and John , not Peter.

Yep, it's John. I like that painting.

Here it is, a Buddhist Tanka, if you click on it it get's larger.

That's awesome! Do you know who it is of?

I am not a Buddhist as such ... tho' I do have Buddha icons around my home ... sometimes, when ppl have come to visit ... they ask if I am Buddhist ...

Actually, I find Buddha icons very meditative, relaxing ... just as ppl find other icons to be so ...

You do. I remember that I asked you that when I came to stay too. :wink2:

I'm very much a mixed belief person. And you just summed up how I feel about these things too.

C is Mary (the Assumption) but I couldnt find the original picture :blink:

Yeah, it's weird. I looked for it also. I can find similar images, but not the exact same one as on the bracelet.

found F...it's the virgin Mary

virgin_mary_in_tree_0828081.jpg

but still....a popular image....not a real work of art!

Well done! You're on a roll.

Hi All

This is a fascinating thread

This is described as Our Lady of Grace on this page, but it is reversed and the halo is a circle of stars

http://coffeecatholic.blogspot.com/2008/09/shouldnt-catholic-church-change-its.html

Hey, wow, it really is just a reversal isn't it. I like to compare the different interpretations created over time.

And talking about buddhism, there is a correlation between the Virgin Mary and the buddhist GuanYin. The popular imagery is very similar, and they both are associated with Motherhood and compassion.

http://www.amaranthpublishing.com/GuanYin.htm

I like this one of GuanYin (There's a few spellings - Kuan Yin is another)

http://www.indigenouspeople.net/Spirituality/Mysticenter/quan_yin.jpg

this is interesting. it looks like a catholic-typre bracelet, which i don't believe in, i believe in the original writings of the bible without the extra unidentified books (like tobias) but still interesting..

Hey! Welcome aboard :wink2: I find it interesting too.

I might have another task for us to do once we work all these ones out..

Our Lady of Guadalupe, also called the Virgin of Guadalupe (Spanish: Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe or Virgen de Guadalupe) is a 16th century Roman Catholic icon from Mexico representing a Marian apparition. It is perhaps Mexico's most popular religious and cultural image. Our Lady of Guadalupe's feast day is celebrated on 12 December, commemorating the account of her appearances to Saint Juan Diego on the hill of Tepeyac near Mexico City from 9 through 12 December 1531.

The Virgin of Guadalupe is a symbol of significant importance to Mexican Catholics. She is recognized as "Patroness of the Americas". The Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico City is the second most visited Roman Catholic shrine in the world.

The Virgin of Guadalupe has also symbolized the Mexican nation since the Mexican War of Independence. Both Miguel Hidalgo and Emiliano Zapata's armies traveled underneath Guadalupan flags, and Our Lady of Guadalupe is generally recognized as a symbol of all Mexicans. The Mexican novelist Carlos Fuentes once said that "...one may no longer consider himself a Christian, but you cannot truly be considered a Mexican unless you believe in the Virgin of Guadalupe."[1]

Nobel Literature laureate Octavio Paz wrote in 1974 that "the Mexican people, after more than two centuries of experiments, have faith only in the Virgin of Guadalupe and the National Lottery....

That last bit bolded is hilarious!! What a contradiction. A saint and gambling as beliefs. What a crazy world. :roftl:

This thread was inspired by a discussion on the blog thread re Mika's hat and Our Lady of Guadeloup, also found on the bracelet. It's more about art than theology.

Exactly. There's some amazing interpretations of Deities painted throughout history. I think this is more of a Spiritual Art Appreciation thread hiding behind the grueling task of hunting for common vs. less common images than anything else. :wink2::naughty:

One thing that strikes me is that these Catholic images, and the Buddhist images, are similar to cartoons. They communicate simple religious ideas through symbols in a very approachable way - they are a sort of "folk art", particularly useful in past times when many ordinary folk couldn't read. There are similarities with the way Mika uses pop music - a simple, accessible art form with which he communicates quite complex emotions .

Yes! I love how they say "Here is a Deity, and this Deity watches over these things, and these are the things that represent this Deity" etc etc. It's an animated resumé. :naughty:

hi kelzy, mother-of-all-treasure-hunts!:bleh:

i can see our research is rolling on quite well! i had to give up yesterday and i'm afraid no time left today...i really must work THIS morning!:sneaky2:

about apostle John....you might be right, and every person in that position in Crucifixion paintings has got the same blue mantle, but this time he's quite old and reading a book? am i right?

and i'm sure i've this that painitng somewhere...i won't be ok till i find it...

and the baby jesuses....no news about those?

and A...a blinded virgin? with a torch in her hand? never seen before..i thought about Saint Lucy, but she's got a different icon.

as you can see, i'm very deeply into it :naughty:

Sorry if this has been said already, but F is not only Virgin Mary, it's 'La Medalla Milagrosa', I don't know how to say it exactly in English, but it would be something like the Miraculous Medal.

When my mom comes back I'll ask her the others, my parents know a lot. My dad is like a priest *he's not a priest, he's like a priest, it's hard to explain:bleh:*.

Sorry if this has been said already, but F is not only Virgin Mary, it's 'La Medalla Milagrosa', I don't know how to say it exactly in English, but it would be something like the Miraculous Medal.

When my mom comes back I'll ask her the others, my parents know a lot. My dad is like a priest *he's not a priest, he's like a priest, it's hard to explain:bleh:*.

Ohhh I thought it was the virgin Mary too , thanks:thumb_yello:

H is the baby cheesus?

Cheesus. :naughty: You're a cracker.

We think H and J are the Baby Jesus. But need to find the photos to be sure. :wink2:

:shocked: Ohh! Thank you!

We had a look at a link of a similar image where it's reversed. I think what you are saying about La Medalla Milagrosa is the same image :thumb_yello:

J is 'Divino niño'.

I'm not sure how it's called in English. But here's a picture.

divinonino.jpg

Here is a link to a translated page about "The Divine Child" - apparently it's mainly a Columbian idea of Jesus

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.corazones.org/jesus/divino_nino.htm&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=5&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3DDivino%2Bni%25C3%25B1o%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26hs%3DStc

G is Santo Nino Statue from the Philippines

Here's a quote

"The statue itself, a replica of which will be at the St. Mary's celebration, is a 2-foot tall smiling child dressed in regal robes and crown. He holds the earth in his left hand, while his right hand forms a gesture of peace. He is considered the Divine Protector of the Philippines"

- here's the link

http://www.gilroydispatch.com/lifestyles/177853-festival-celebrates-history-of-philippines

Thanks for the Clues, Ana1202 :thumb_yello:

More on Our lady of Grace and the Miraculous medal

http://www.stmaryolg.org/patron.html