Salt Lake Tribune: Mika's SLC acoustic gig "One of the best shows of the year"

Miro

http://www.sltrib.com/themix/ci_11296222

The unforgettable year in music

Music » New and old venues survive in economic crisis

By David Burger

The Salt Lake Tribune

Posted: 12/25/2008 06:00:00 PM MST

The Wasatch Front had a memorable year of music despite a depression, manufactured acts like Britney Spears and Kellie Pickler trying hard to be relevant, and Guns N' Roses releasing the most highly anticipated, and most disappointing, album of the past 15 years.

1. Despite the economic depression that shuttered clubs like the Broken Record and the Palladium, clubs like the Urban Lounge and Bar Deluxe picked up the slack and provided a spot for local bands as well as national acts to play in Salt Lake City proper. A promising upstart, the Murray Theater, became a prime place to see rap and rock, while established locations like Burts Tiki Lounge and The Depot remained solvent with eclectic choices and smart programming.

2. The Wasatch Front made up for the absence of the Van Halen tour by bringing in some of the hottest tours of the year, including The Police, Carrie Underwood, Neil Diamond, Wilco, Metallica, Bob Dylan, Kanye West, Rihanna and Bonnie Raitt.

3. Red Butte Garden opened on schedule and became one of best, and most beautiful, venues in the area to see a concert. With its inviting vibe -- helped by its cooler-friendly rules -- the venue sold out most of its shows and brought acts the old venue couldn't have accommodated in its earlier incarnation, such as Bonnie Raitt. And the Wilco-Fleet Foxes show was one of the best concerts of the year.

4. Utah natives such as David Archuleta and Julianne Hough captured national media attention -- and album sales -- while local acts such as Band of Annuals and Bliss arrived at the perch of widespread success.

5. As it has every other year, Utah provided a welcoming place to artists, and the artists in turn gave incredible, once-in-a-lifetime experiences. Among the best shows of the year: Mika's all-acoustic show at In the Venue after his tour buses were unable to get out of a Colorado snowstorm; Lucinda Williams' tour-de-force at Deer Valley that revved up the usually reserved audience into a stage-surrounding frenzy; Rihanna outperfoming Kanye West in an E Center show that showed hip-hop can bring in Utah crowds; Stone Temple Pilots' Scott Weiland reminding an audience how a rock frontman is supposed to look, act and sing; and Bob Dylan paying a blazing Labor Day weekend show in the face of a hard, hard rain.

6. National big-box retailers like Wal-Mart and Best Buy continued an effort to squeeze independent record stores by buying the exclusive rights to sell albums by AC/DC and Guns N' Roses. But indie stores, like Groovacious in Cedar City and Slowtrain and Graywhale in northern Utah, fought back by participating in the first-ever Independent Record Store Day and using unusual means to retain loyal customers.

:thumb_yello: to Mika! :biggrin2:

Edited by Miro

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Salt Lake Tribune's got real taste! (though it's stating the obvious- of course he was the best!)

Anyone got vids? (I'll have to check the threads later)

This is the gig's thread http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12810

And here are some videos :thumb_yello:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=x1fTfYgXrq8&feature=related (lovely statement there!)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDwG_Yax0NU

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=omIIsjAdvpE&feature=channel (Nice bit with Luke lol love it :wub2: )

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Dle_lxB4e5g&feature=channel (hilarious one :roftl: )

Edited by Miro

I have said all along that this is the best gig I never went to.

All the footage I've seen, has been awesome, theres a real electric atmosphere going on all the way through, it's fantastic!!!

I have said all along that this is the best gig I never went to.

All the footage I've seen, has been awesome, theres a real electric atmosphere going on all the way through, it's fantastic!!!

Yeah indeed! I guess all the people who went said it was brilliant. He seemed so relaxed and having fun there.

the unforgettable year in music

by david burger

the salt lake tribune

posted: 12/25/2008 06:00:00 pm mst . . .

5. As it has every other year, Utah provided a welcoming place to artists, and the artists in turn gave incredible, once-in-a-lifetime experiences. Among the best shows of the year: Mika's all-acoustic show at In the Venue after his tour buses were unable to get out of a Colorado snowstorm;

:thumb_yello: To mika! :biggrin2:

mmmikkaaaqo0.png

congrats.gif

Congrats Mika!

Edited by A. Clay

The unforgettable year in music

Music » New and old venues survive in economic crisis

By David Burger

The Salt Lake Tribune

Posted: 12/25/2008 06:00:00 PM MST

The Wasatch Front had a memorable year of music despite a depression, manufactured acts like Britney Spears and Kellie Pickler trying hard to be relevant, and Guns N' Roses releasing the most highly anticipated, and most disappointing, album of the past 15 years.

1. Despite the economic depression that shuttered clubs like the Broken Record and the Palladium, clubs like the Urban Lounge and Bar Deluxe picked up the slack and provided a spot for local bands as well as national acts to play in Salt Lake City proper. A promising upstart, the Murray Theater, became a prime place to see rap and rock, while established locations like Burts Tiki Lounge and The Depot remained solvent with eclectic choices and smart programming.

2. The Wasatch Front made up for the absence of the Van Halen tour by bringing in some of the hottest tours of the year, including The Police, Carrie Underwood, Neil Diamond, Wilco, Metallica, Bob Dylan, Kanye West, Rihanna and Bonnie Raitt.

3. Red Butte Garden opened on schedule and became one of best, and most beautiful, venues in the area to see a concert. With its inviting vibe -- helped by its cooler-friendly rules -- the venue sold out most of its shows and brought acts the old venue couldn't have accommodated in its earlier incarnation, such as Bonnie Raitt. And the Wilco-Fleet Foxes show was one of the best concerts of the year.

4. Utah natives such as David Archuleta and Julianne Hough captured national media attention -- and album sales -- while local acts such as Band of Annuals and Bliss arrived at the perch of widespread success.

5. As it has every other year, Utah provided a welcoming place to artists, and the artists in turn gave incredible, once-in-a-lifetime experiences. Among the best shows of the year: Mika's all-acoustic show at In the Venue after his tour buses were unable to get out of a Colorado snowstorm; Lucinda Williams' tour-de-force at Deer Valley that revved up the usually reserved audience into a stage-surrounding frenzy; Rihanna outperfoming Kanye West in an E Center show that showed hip-hop can bring in Utah crowds; Stone Temple Pilots' Scott Weiland reminding an audience how a rock frontman is supposed to look, act and sing; and Bob Dylan paying a blazing Labor Day weekend show in the face of a hard, hard rain.

6. National big-box retailers like Wal-Mart and Best Buy continued an effort to squeeze independent record stores by buying the exclusive rights to sell albums by AC/DC and Guns N' Roses. But indie stores, like Groovacious in Cedar City and Slowtrain and Graywhale in northern Utah, fought back by participating in the first-ever Independent Record Store Day and using unusual means to retain loyal customers.

:thumb_yello: to Mika! :biggrin2:

great article! the salt lake city acoustic gig must have been very special!

it was great to watch all those vids again:wub2:

ohh must check that out laters when I have more time (which I have very little of atm)

thanks for the links, very much appreciated:thumb_yello:

I WENT to this concert! It was really incredible. Even with all the technical difficulties and standing in the sub-freezing temperatures for 3 hours - I KNEW this was going to be great.

It sounds cheesy to say, but really, I think this was a very special concert. I think that because of the difficulties (mainly the LACK OF EQUIPMENT) the whole band sort of had to join together - I love what Mika said about it too, that even though his insurance company would have preferred that he cancel the gig, he decided that he'd "have a little fun with it instead."

It was really electrical and magic feeling! When he came on stage - I don't think I've ever been more excited! haha. It was nice that he came to such a small place (around 2000 people) especially considering he did his huge stadium show to 55,000 people less than 5 months later!

But the BEST part of the whole night? His promise that he would "definitely be back to Salt Lake City!"

:wub2: