Wonka's kitchen cooking thread

willywonka

These cookies is a Christmas classic and they taste yummy!

This is my hubby's grandmother's recipe :wub2:

Ingredients:

- 1 cup of butter soft (out of the fridge for a few hours)

- 1/2 cup of brown sugar

- 1 egg yolk

- 2 cups of flour

- pinch of salt

- 1 tbs of white sugar

- 1 tbs of milk

- 1 tsp of vanilla

- colored sprinkles

Hint: It is easier to mix the ingredients with your hands then with a mixer, but that's up to you.

In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together:

photo7.jpg

With the dough, make 1 1/4" round balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet:

photo4.jpg

With a fork, flatten dough with a criss cross pattern:

photo3.jpg

Bake in the oven at 350 F for 10 min.

Place on grill to cool.

Add sprinkles and..... Voila!!!

Shortbread cookies :blush-anim-cl:

photo1-1.jpg

photo.jpg

Bon Appetit!!!

yum! you make that sound so easy i might actually try it...:teehee:

Edited by guylainem123

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ingredients:

- 1 cup of butter soft (out of the fridge for a few hours)

- 1/2 cup of brown sugar

- 1 egg yolk

- 2 cups of flour

- pinch of salt

- 1 tbs of white sugar

- 1 tbs of milk

- 1 tsp of vanilla

- colored sprinkles

Hint: It is easier to mix the ingredients with your hands then with a mixer, but that's up to you.

In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together:

photo7.jpg

With the dough, make 1 1/4" round balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet:

photo4.jpg

With a fork, flatten dough with a criss cross pattern:

photo3.jpg

Bake in the oven at 350 F for 10 min.

Place on grill to cool.

Add sprinkles and..... Voila!!!

Shortbread cookies :blush-anim-cl:

photo1-1.jpg

photo.jpg

Bon Appetit!!!

I love cookies.

I promise I'll make it by myself this christmas

Edited by guylainem123

yum! you make that sound so easy i might actually try it...:teehee:

They are very easy to make, just make sure the butter is soft. (out of the fridge for a few hours) Otherwise, it won't be easy to mix.

Have you ever had shortbread cookies in stores?

These are 10 times better. Since it's a very old recipe, the ingredients are quite simple. I remember hubby's grandmother making these... I wouldn't be surprised if it was her mom's recipe. :naughty:

I love cookies.

I promise I'll make it by myself this christmas

I'm sure you can! take pictures! :blush-anim-cl:

P.S. i edited both of your posts... i had forgotten to write that the butter had to be soft :teehee:

Edited by guylainem123

Bon Appetit!!!

You make it sound so easy and yummy i'll try it this Xmas!:thumb_yello:

Thanks for bothering to take and post pics...:thumb_yello:

You make it sound so easy and yummy i'll try it this Xmas!:thumb_yello:

Thanks for bothering to take and post pics...:thumb_yello:

you can also make a thumb print in the center, and put a little bit of your favorite jam... they then look like this:

JamDottedShortbreadCookies3U.jpg

These cookies are not a French Canadian tradition at all... i think it's from Scotland. But they are soooooooo good, that the recipe made it over here too :blush-anim-cl:

Edited by guylainem123

you can also make a thumb print in the center, and put a little bit of your favorite jam... they then look like this:

These cookies are not a French Canadian tradition at all... i think it's from Scotland. But they are soooooooo good, that the recipe made it over here too :blush-anim-cl:

That's a very nice option too...:thumb_yello:

Ive always preferred traditional food to "plastic food":thumb_yello:, so i'm always looking for recipes on the net, and i've a book which was my granny's from the 40's where i pick several "old" and "traditional" recipes...

That's a very nice option too...:thumb_yello:

Ive always preferred traditional food to "plastic food":thumb_yello:, so i'm always looking for recipes on the net, and i've a book which was my granny's from the 40's where i pick several "old" and "traditional" recipes...

Those are the best!

Hubby's mother and grandmother were great cooks. Hubby's mom cooked and baked for others to make a living, in order to feed her family after his dad died. People would call and place orders for breads, pies, donuts etc... She actually made my wedding cake, which was 5 layers and octogone :wub2:

Hubby's grandmother had a cooking talk show on the radio in Vermont USA (before television was in every home), as well as a column in the local newspaper. She also published a cookbook sponsored by Robin Hood flour. We still have a copy of it & are doing a reprint for the great grand children to have. We wrote all the original recipe, but added a * with a few change in ingredients.... nobody cooks with fresh lard anymore (pork fat!) :naughty: Hubby's aunt who is 80 years old helped with those few changes, but the rest is exactly the same.

We even kept the ads from back then. One of them calls for women to liberate themselves and buy a gas stove (instead of wood burning stoves)

The phone numbers on the ads only have 4 digits, as oppose to the 10 digits we have to use now :naughty:

Those are the best!

Hubby's mother and grandmother were great cooks. Hubby's mom cooked and baked for others to make a living, in order to feed her family after his dad died. People would call and place orders for breads, pies, donuts etc... She actually made my wedding cake, which was 5 layers and octogone :wub2:

Hubby's grandmother had a cooking talk show on the radio in Vermont USA (before television was in every home), as well as a column in the local newspaper. She also published a cookbook sponsored by Robin Hood flour. We still have a copy of it & are doing a reprint for the great grand children to have. We wrote all the original recipe, but added a * with a few change in ingredients.... nobody cooks with fresh lard anymore (pork fat!) :naughty: Hubby's aunt who is 80 years old helped with those few changes, but the rest is exactly the same.

We even kept the ads from back then. One of them calls for women to liberate themselves and buy a gas stove (instead of wood burning stoves)

The phone numbers on the ads only have 4 digits, as oppose to the 10 digits we have to use now :naughty:

That's so nice to know you are keeping alive family traditions...

I've scanned my granny's book as well, as it was a bit ruined from time passing by, and i'm giving it to my daughters as well...

I also kept my other granny's written recipes, she was a great cake baker, but she was very ill already when she wrote them so only i can understand her writing...

Those are the best!

Cruel professionals then. I would love to see some other recipes!

Pork fat is not so unusual here in Serbia. I even have some recipes for cookies with pork fat, and delicious ones! They are quite similar to those you posted and it' also my great-grandmother's recipe. But we bake them in molds and we add carob, hazel, nuts or poppy seed.

I'll make some these days and I'll show you. They are called "Little paws", no idea why.:aah:

Cruel professionals then. I would love to see some other recipes!

Pork fat is not so unusual here in Serbia. I even have some recipes for cookies with pork fat, and delicious ones! They are quite similar to those you posted and it' also my great-grandmother's recipe. But we bake them in molds and we add carob, hazel, nuts or poppy seed.

I'll make some these days and I'll show you. They are called "Little paws", no idea why.:aah:

Back when his grandmother wrote that book, most people lived on farms & had their own supply of pork fat. (or had a family member who could supply them with the ingredient) Nowadays, you'd have to buy it from the stores. it's available, but most people go for the vegetable shortening (ie Crisco) though i do believe that Tenderflake is pork lard.

She also had recipes calling for "suet" (raw beef or mutton fat), which is also something they had on hand (on the farm) ... but i don't think it's available in stores, in Canada anyways, i've never seen it.

Okay okay i've something! x)

Cinnamon Buns

lskdf059.jpg

Recipe:

For the pastry you will need:

• 3 dl milk
  • 50 gram yeast
  • 250 gram butter
  • 600 gram flour
  • 50 gram sugar
  • A teaspoon salt

To the cinnamon filling you will need:

• 250 gram butter
  • 3 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 6 tablespoon sugar

Warm milk, and mix in the yeast, mix flour. Then mix sugar and salt in a bowl, crumbs in the butter, add the milk, and mix it together.

Knead the dough. And afterwards let it rise in 30 minutes

While you’re waiting you mix the cinnamon fill. Mix the butter, cinnamon and sugar, till it gets smooth.

Roll the dough out at the table, in a square (ca. 30 cm X 60cm and 1cm thick) Spread the butter cinnamon thing out at the dough. Roll the dough together to a long roll, and cut it into ca. 20 pieces. Put them at the bake sheet and let them rise for another 20 minutes

Put them in the oven at 200C and give them 15-20 minutes.

Cinnamon Buns

lskdf059.jpg

Recipe:

• 3 dl milk
  • 50 gram yeast
  • 250 gram butter
  • 600 gram flour
  • 50 gram sugar
  • A teaspoon salt

• 250 gram butter
  • 3 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 6 tablespoon sugar

Warm milk, and mix in the yeast, mix flour. Then mix sugar and salt in a bowl, crumbs in the butter, add the milk, and mix it together.

While you’re waiting you mix the cinnamon fill. Mix the butter, cinnamon and sugar, till it gets smooth.

Roll the dough out at the table, in a square (ca. 30 cm X 60cm and 1cm thick) Spread the butter cinnamon thing out at the dough. Roll the dough together to a long roll, and cut it into ca. 20 pieces. Put them at the bake sheet and let them rise for another 20 minutes

oh.. those look really good! i have a recipe also, but the dough looks more like bread dough

btw, what does "dl" mean? :teehee:

Cinnamon Buns

lskdf059.jpg

Recipe:

• 3 dl milk
  • 50 gram yeast
  • 250 gram butter
  • 600 gram flour
  • 50 gram sugar
  • A teaspoon salt

• 250 gram butter
  • 3 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 6 tablespoon sugar

We also have those here, they are called "Caracois" - snails...

oh.. those look really good! i have a recipe also, but the dough looks more like bread dough

btw, what does "dl" mean? :teehee:

Deciliter, Guy...

Yup, the crown jewel of Scottish baking :licks_lips:.

I've never bothered to bake them (or even look for a recipe) before, but Guy, you make the baking sound so easy I may even be able to resist the temptation to grab a box in the store and try making them myself :thumb_yello:

• 2 weeks later...

I promised I'll post a recipe. I hope I translated it correctly.:teehee:

Ingredients:

1 cup of carob

1 cup of sugar

1 cup of pork fat

3 eggs

1 teaspoon of baking soda

2 cups of flour

First mix pork fat, sugar and eggs. Than add carob, flour and baking soda and mix the ingredients with your hands or with a mixer. You should get a dough like this...

picture002mo.jpg

Prepare molds. I have these, but you can use whatever you have at home or like. Dough is really soft and easy to use, and it's easy to empty mold after it's baked.

picture003ecw.jpg

Only half of the molds should be filled cause dough rises.

picture005vx.jpg

picture006wi.jpg

Bake in an oven about 10-15 min on 200 C.

Let the cookies cool for a while and then you can cover them with powdered sugar.

picture011dx.jpg

They don't look much, I know (my aunts cookies look much better):teehee:, but the taste is mmmmmmmmm yummy, wintery, wonderful. And they are great with tea, but even better with cooked, hot, spiced wine.Laie_98.gif

• 3 months later...

Does anybody here have a good Madeline recipe?! I they're french, I believe, and are pastries shaped like shells? I still have my Madeline pan, but seem to have misplaced the recipe.:sneaky2: I would LOVE if anyone had the traditional lemon recipe!:biggrin2:

I promised I'll post a recipe. I hope I translated it correctly.:teehee:

Ingredients:

1 cup of carob

1 cup of sugar

1 cup of pork fat

3 eggs

1 teaspoon of baking soda

2 cups of flour

First mix pork fat, sugar and eggs. Than add carob, flour and baking soda and mix the ingredients with your hands or with a mixer. You should get a dough like this...

picture002mo.jpg

Prepare molds. I have these, but you can use whatever you have at home or like. Dough is really soft and easy to use, and it's easy to empty mold after it's baked.

picture003ecw.jpg

Only half of the molds should be filled cause dough rises.

picture005vx.jpg

picture006wi.jpg

Bake in an oven about 10-15 min on 200 C.

Let the cookies cool for a while and then you can cover them with powdered sugar.

picture011dx.jpg

They don't look much, I know (my aunts cookies look much better):teehee:, but the taste is mmmmmmmmm yummy, wintery, wonderful. And they are great with tea, but even better with cooked, hot, spiced wine.Laie_98.gif

:shocked: i didn't see this recipe!

i must have been too busy around the holidays... they look so pretty!

i have no idea what carob is though :dunno:

:shocked: i didn't see this recipe!

i must have been too busy around the holidays... they look so pretty!

i have no idea what carob is though :dunno:

carob -

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSU_S97udyXa3dMc-Ol5YeEFC8g2caWShPKLisN2XxLN8DQxYr5

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWa-B7Hd15Gq-bDKfJyeRSbOyn6aaG5WfS7Zpo57hv3tNuPcc1lw

Of course it has to be powdered. Some people are using it as a substitute for the chocolate, but that's blasphemy IMHO. Nothing can replace chocolate. :mf_rosetinted: It has a specific taste and some people hate it, some adore it. Instead of carob you can use walnuts. It's not similar, but it tastes well too.

Edited by nenartus

• 1 year later...

As some of you may already know, i'm into cake design lately...

So i made this Mika cake...

Many of you have already seen it both on twitter and fb, but here it is for the ones of you who didn't...

525209_10200412601469581_196920089_n.jpg

537426_10200412602149598_2093043771_n.jpg

303297_10200412601829590_359039359_n.jpg

Edited by willywonka