Wonka's kitchen cooking thread

willywonka

Here the recipe. You can serve it on christmas. Remember to use beef, not the other meat because it will take hours to get the fine texture.

Beef Rendang

Ingredients:

1 1/2 pound boneless beef short ribs (cut into cubes)

5 tablespoons cooking oil

1 cinnamon stick (about 2-inch long)

3 cloves

3 star anise

3 cardamom pods

1 lemongrass (cut into 4-inch length and pounded)

1 cup thick coconut milk

1 cup water

2 teaspoons tamarind pulp (soaked in some warm water for the juice and discard the seeds )

6 kaffir lime leaves (very finely sliced)

6 tablespoons kerisik (toasted coconut)

1 tablespoon sugar/palm sugar or to taste

Salt to taste

Spice Paste:

5 shallots

1 inch galangal

3 lemongrass (white part only)

5 cloves garlic

1 inch ginger

10-12 dried chilies (soaked in warm water and seeded)

How to serve:

1. Chop the spice paste ingredients and then blend it in a food processor until fine.

2. Heat the oil in a stew pot, add the spice paste, cinnamon, cloves, star anise, and cardamom and stir-fry them until aromatic.

3. Add the beef and the pounded lemongrass and stir for 1 minute.

4. Add the coconut milk, tamarind juice, water, and simmer on medium heat, stirring frequently until the meat is almost cooked.

5. Add the kaffir lime leaves, kerisik (toasted coconut), sugar/palm sugar, stirring to blend well with the meat.

6. Lower the heat to low, cover the lid, and simmer for 1 – 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is really tender and the gravy has dried up (more dry will taste better)

7. Add salt to taste. You can add sugar if you want. But don't add too much

8. Serve immediately with steamed rice or baked potatoes

2235748210_79187022a1.jpg

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here the recipe. You can serve it on christmas. Remember to use beef, not the other meat because it will take hours to get the fine texture.

Beef Rendang

Ingredients:

3 cloves

3 star anise

3 cardamom pods

1 cup thick coconut milk

1 cup water

2 teaspoons tamarind pulp (soaked in some warm water for the juice and discard the seeds )

Salt to taste

Spice Paste:

5 shallots

1 inch galangal

5 cloves garlic

1 inch ginger

How to serve:

1. Chop the spice paste ingredients and then blend it in a food processor until fine.

2. Heat the oil in a stew pot, add the spice paste, cinnamon, cloves, star anise, and cardamom and stir-fry them until aromatic.

4. Add the coconut milk, tamarind juice, water, and simmer on medium heat, stirring frequently until the meat is almost cooked.

5. Add the kaffir lime leaves, kerisik (toasted coconut), sugar/palm sugar, stirring to blend well with the meat.

6. Lower the heat to low, cover the lid, and simmer for 1 – 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is really tender and the gravy has dried up (more dry will taste better)

this looks delish! i've to try sometime, but we don't get keffir lime leaves here...:(

this looks delish! i've to try sometime, but we don't get keffir lime leaves here...:(

do you have Asian or Indian groceries there?

you probably find it there.

but it doesn't matter if you don't add the keffir lime leaves, it just gives fresh smell in this food :biggrin2:

Beef Rendang

Ingredients:

3 cloves

3 star anise

3 cardamom pods

1 cup thick coconut milk

1 cup water

Salt to taste

Spice Paste:

5 shallots

1 inch galangal

5 cloves garlic

1 inch ginger

How to serve:

Yummy! I'll sure try it sometime...:thumb_yello:

A pic to go with the marzipan-apple pie http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3593267&postcount=358

DSCF2911.jpg?t=1323342607

And another ingenious recipe for those, who (like me) love making ice-cream and are left with countless egg whites and not too many ideas of what to do with them: egg white and cheese snacks

Ingredients:

3 egg whites

100 gr grated cheese (mature 3 or 4 is the best)

3 tbs plain flour

Whisk the whites. Mix the grated cheese with flour. Mix all the ingredients. Drop the mixture by spoonful on a baking sheet.

Bake at 180 degrees until golden (around 12-15 minutes). Turn off the oven, leave the biscuits in the oven until cooled. Although they're great also when warm.

DSCF2939.jpg?t=1323342571

Any other ideas on what to do with egg whites are highly appreciated as the ice-cream making season is in full swing :biggrin2:. It always is :naughty:

Edited by Siu

I'm sorry that I stole this recipe from the internet, because I can't get my mum to write a recipe for me, she does everything by her instinct :blink: but this is my favourite Vietnamese dessert, so I hope you'd like it as I do :biggrin2: it's Vietnamese name is Chè Khoai Tía :licks_lips:

Purple Yam Pudding Recipe

che-khoai-lang-tim1.jpg

Purple yams are tubers with grayish brown skins and purple flesh. They taste sweet and are sold fresh in supermarkets or wet markets.

Ingredients : Serves 8

3 Purple yams (about 500 g)

500 ml Water

1 tablespoon Melted butter

125 g Rice flour

400 g Sugar

300 ml Evaporated milk

1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract

1 teaspoon Baking powder

Method :

Peel the yams then boil in water until tender. about 30 minutes.

Set aside to cool then grate the yams.

Brush a 9 x 5 x 3 in loaf pan with butter.

Combine the grated yam, rice flour, sugar, evaporated milk, vanilla extract and baking powder.

Stir to mix thoroughly. Pour mixture into prepared loaf pan and steam for 40 minutes or until firm.

Remove from the heat and set aside to cool for several minutes before serving.

Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.

:biggrin2:

I'm sorry that I stole this recipe from the internet, because I can't get my mum to write a recipe for me, she does everything by her instinct :blink: but this is my favourite Vietnamese dessert, so I hope you'd like it as I do :biggrin2: it's Vietnamese name is Chè Khoai Tía :licks_lips:

Purple Yam Pudding Recipe

che-khoai-lang-tim1.jpg

Purple yams are tubers with grayish brown skins and purple flesh. They taste sweet and are sold fresh in supermarkets or wet markets.

Ingredients : Serves 8

3 Purple yams (about 500 g)

500 ml Water

1 tablespoon Melted butter

125 g Rice flour

400 g Sugar

300 ml Evaporated milk

1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract

1 teaspoon Baking powder

Method :

Peel the yams then boil in water until tender. about 30 minutes.

Set aside to cool then grate the yams.

Brush a 9 x 5 x 3 in loaf pan with butter.

Combine the grated yam, rice flour, sugar, evaporated milk, vanilla extract and baking powder.

Stir to mix thoroughly. Pour mixture into prepared loaf pan and steam for 40 minutes or until firm.

Remove from the heat and set aside to cool for several minutes before serving.

Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.

:biggrin2:

:licks_lips:

Vietnamese and Thai cuisines are my favs :mf_lustslow:! I make sth from that part of the world whenever I feel like hunting down the ingredients. Which happens considerably less now, as a new Thai restaurant+take-away was opened just a few hundred yards from my house :biggrin2:

:licks_lips:

Vietnamese and Thai cuisines are my favs :mf_lustslow:! I make sth from that part of the world whenever I feel like hunting down the ingredients. Which happens considerably less now, as a new Thai restaurant+take-away was opened just a few hundred yards from my house :biggrin2:

Awwwww :wub2: great to hear that! I'm not sure if you could buy these ingredients where you live, 'cause I had to choose a recipe that you guys could buy the ingredients, which is kinda hard, since we use a lot of authentic spices :teehee:

Awwwww :wub2: great to hear that! I'm not sure if you could buy these ingredients where you live, 'cause I had to choose a recipe that you guys could buy the ingredients, which is kinda hard, since we use a lot of authentic spices :teehee:

There's a Vietnamese shop I go to when I can't find the ingredients I need in the supermarket, but it's not on my usual route, so when I've planned to make a Vietnamese dish I have to take on a pilgrimage :naughty:.

There's a Vietnamese shop I go to when I can't find the ingredients I need in the supermarket, but it's not on my usual route, so when I've planned to make a Vietnamese dish I have to take on a pilgrimage :naughty:.

ooh there's a Vietnamese shop? :aah: that sounds great! May I be your reliable source on the recipes? :teehee:

Be my guest :thumb_yello:. So, what should I have for dinner :wink2:?

We usually eat rice for dinner, but you can still make things like this :wink2: very popular, you might have heard of it :biggrin2:

Beef Pho Recipe

(Rice Noodles Soup)

Ingredients : Serves 6

Broth

1 kg Shin beef bones

340 g Lean stewing beef

5 1/4 pints Water

1 Onion, unpeeled and halved

3 Ginger, unpeeled and halved

1 Cinnamon stick

6 Peppercorns

6 Coriander seeds

4Star anise

2 Carrots, unpeeled, cut into chunks

Additions

225 g Thick steak in one piece

225 g Rice noodles

455 g Flat, thick dried noodles

2 tablespoon Nuoc Mam (fish sauce)

1 Brown onion, thinly sliced

3 Green onions (scallions), finely chopped

125 g Beansprouts

50 g Coriander (cilantro) leaves, torn into sprigs

50 g Mint leaves, chopped

1 Red chili pepper, seeded and sliced into rings

2 Limes cut into wedges

Method :

Pour the water into a large pot. Add the shin bones and beef. Bring to the boil and skim the surface. Turn heat to medium-low, partially cover and simmer for two hours. skimming often, before add in remaining broth ingredients. Simmer another 90 minutes and remove from heat. Leave to cool.

Strain the broth through a fine sieve and discard bones, carrots, onion and spices. Skim fat from broth. Cut the beef finely across the grain to paper thinness. Reserve.

Soak rice noodles in warm water about 20 minutes until soft, drain and reserve.

Return broth pot to heat. Boil with Nuoc Cham then reduce heat to very low. Fill a separate big pot three-quarters full of water and boil, add noodles and rinsed bean sprouts.

Continue cooking until noodles are tender but not mushy. Bean sprouts should retain some crispness.

Serve boiling broth first then drain noodles into 6 bowls, top equally with beef, raw onion rings, chopped green onions (scallions), and thin raw steak slices, which will par-cook in the bowls.

Garnish with coriander and mint leaves.

Tip

The beef will be easiest to slice if semi-frozen from the freezer. Diners help themselves to chili rings and lime wedges. This recipe can also be adapted for chicken which takes less time to cook.

Sorry for taking so long to reply, the website's orientation is really weird so I have to rearrange it :original:

We usually eat rice for dinner, but you can still make things like this :wink2: very popular, you might have heard of it :biggrin2:

Beef Pho Recipe

(Rice Noodles Soup)

Ingredients : Serves 6

Broth

1 kg Shin beef bones

340 g Lean stewing beef

5 1/4 pints Water

1 Onion, unpeeled and halved

3 Ginger, unpeeled and halved

1 Cinnamon stick

6 Peppercorns

6 Coriander seeds

4Star anise

2 Carrots, unpeeled, cut into chunks

Additions

225 g Thick steak in one piece

225 g Rice noodles

455 g Flat, thick dried noodles

2 tablespoon Nuoc Mam (fish sauce)

1 Brown onion, thinly sliced

3 Green onions (scallions), finely chopped

125 g Beansprouts

50 g Coriander (cilantro) leaves, torn into sprigs

50 g Mint leaves, chopped

1 Red chili pepper, seeded and sliced into rings

2 Limes cut into wedges

Method :

Pour the water into a large pot. Add the shin bones and beef. Bring to the boil and skim the surface. Turn heat to medium-low, partially cover and simmer for two hours. skimming often, before add in remaining broth ingredients. Simmer another 90 minutes and remove from heat. Leave to cool.

Strain the broth through a fine sieve and discard bones, carrots, onion and spices. Skim fat from broth. Cut the beef finely across the grain to paper thinness. Reserve.

Soak rice noodles in warm water about 20 minutes until soft, drain and reserve.

Return broth pot to heat. Boil with Nuoc Cham then reduce heat to very low. Fill a separate big pot three-quarters full of water and boil, add noodles and rinsed bean sprouts.

Continue cooking until noodles are tender but not mushy. Bean sprouts should retain some crispness.

Serve boiling broth first then drain noodles into 6 bowls, top equally with beef, raw onion rings, chopped green onions (scallions), and thin raw steak slices, which will par-cook in the bowls.

Garnish with coriander and mint leaves.

Tip

The beef will be easiest to slice if semi-frozen from the freezer. Diners help themselves to chili rings and lime wedges. This recipe can also be adapted for chicken which takes less time to cook.

Sorry for taking so long to reply, the website's orientation is really weird so I have to rearrange it :original:

Thanks! :thumb_yello:. And I have all the ingredients! So today we're having noodle soup :licks_lips:

I'll let you know (but I already know my kids will not be particularly happy. They have a thumb-up only for the three P-s: pizza, pasta, pancakes :lmfao:)

I used to be like your kids, addicted to Western food :aah: but now I know to taste and "analyze" (as my mum would say) Asian food, I really like them, especially the spices!

I used to be like your kids, addicted to Western food :aah: but now I know to taste and "analyze" (as my mum would say) Asian food, I really like them, especially the spices!

I guess it's kids and spices that doesn't often agree. As a child I used to hate many foods I now love.

Edited by Siu

These cookies is a Christmas classic and they taste yummy!

This is my hubby's grandmother's recipe :wub2:

Ingredients:

- 1 cup of butter soft (out of the fridge for a few hours)

- 1/2 cup of brown sugar

- 1 egg yolk

- 2 cups of flour

- pinch of salt

- 1 tbs of white sugar

- 1 tbs of milk

- 1 tsp of vanilla

- colored sprinkles

Hint: It is easier to mix the ingredients with your hands then with a mixer, but that's up to you.

In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together:

photo7.jpg

With the dough, make 1 1/4" round balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet:

photo4.jpg

With a fork, flatten dough with a criss cross pattern:

photo3.jpg

Bake in the oven at 350 F for 10 min.

Place on grill to cool.

Add sprinkles and..... Voila!!!

Shortbread cookies :blush-anim-cl:

photo1-1.jpg

photo.jpg