Wonka's kitchen cooking thread

willywonka

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

This is not my own recipe. I read it in an Elvis Presley cookbook (apparently it was one of his favourite dishes!), but have since found the recipe online. It is absolutely delicious!

----------

Potato and Cheddar Soup

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/3 cup celery, finely chopped
  • 1/3 onion, finely chopped
  • 4 cups Russett potatoes, 1/2 inch cubes
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • dash paprika
  • 2 cups sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded

Instructions

1. Melt butter. Add celery and onion. Cook over medium heat until tender.
  2. Add potatoes and chicken broth. Simmer until potatoes are tender- about 10 minutes.
  3. Blend until smooth. Stir in milk and seasonings. Heat through. Add cheese and stir until melted.

----------

Notes:

• Don't worry if you don't have paprika. I don't think it's necessary.
  • I use an immersion blender, because I find it easier, but a regular blender will work fine.
  • This also tastes good with broccoli in it!

This is not my own recipe. I read it in an Elvis Presley cookbook (apparently it was one of his favourite dishes!), but have since found the recipe online. It is absolutely delicious!

----------

Potato and Cheddar Soup

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/3 cup celery, finely chopped
  • 1/3 onion, finely chopped
  • 4 cups Russett potatoes, 1/2 inch cubes
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • dash paprika
  • 2 cups sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded

Instructions

1. Melt butter. Add celery and onion. Cook over medium heat until tender.
  2. Add potatoes and chicken broth. Simmer until potatoes are tender- about 10 minutes.
  3. Blend until smooth. Stir in milk and seasonings. Heat through. Add cheese and stir until melted.

----------

Notes:

• Don't worry if you don't have paprika. I don't think it's necessary.
  • I use an immersion blender, because I find it easier, but a regular blender will work fine.
  • This also tastes good with broccoli in it!

oooh that sounds good! i might try that this weekend! thanks!

Last week-end I made the most delicious apple-almond-marzipan-pie I've ever had :licks_lips:

What you need is:

For the pastry

180 g all-purpose flour

85 g caster sugar

125 g butter (from fridge)

1 small egg

For the topping

50 g butter

150 g marzipan

1 tsp all-purpose flour

juice of 1 lime

4 big apples

25 g sliced almonds

Make the pastry first. Cut flour, sugar and cold butter into fine crumbs, add the egg and press the pastry into a ball. Pressing with your fingers, line a 25 cm (10 inch) spring-form tin with the pastry. Put into a fridge for 30 minutes to rest, then bake at 200 C for 10 minutes.

Grate the marzipan with a coarse grater. In a saucepan melt the butter, add the grated marzipan, lime juice and flour. Heat and stir until the mixture is smooth. Remove the saucepan from the cooker.

Peel and grate the apples, again with a coarse grater, and cover the half-baked cake. Spoon the marzipan-butter mixture evenly on the apples. Scatter almond slices on top.

Bake at 200 C for another 30 minutes or until the pie is golden.

Leave the pie to cool (if you can :blush-anim-cl:) and enjoy!

DSCF2911.jpg?t=1323342607

Edited by Siu

Last week-end I made the most delicious apple-almond-marzipan-pie I've ever had :licks_lips:

What you need is:

For the pastry

180 g all-purpose flour

85 g caster sugar

1 small egg

For the topping

50 g butter

150 g marzipan

1 tsp all-purpose flour

juice of 1 lime

4 big apples

25 g sliced almonds

Make the pastry first. Cut flour, sugar and cold butter into fine crumbs, add the egg and press the pastry into a ball. Pressing with your fingers, line a 25 cm (10 inch) spring-form tin with the pastry. Put into a fridge for 30 minutes to rest, then bake at 200 C for 10 minutes.

Grate the marzipan with a coarse grater. In a saucepan melt the butter, add the grated marzipan, lime juice and flour. Heat and stir until the mixture is smooth. Remove the saucepan from the cooker.

Peel and grate the apples, again with a coarse grater, and cover the half-baked cake. Spoon the marzipan-butter mixture evenly on the apples. Scatter almond slices on top.

The pie disappeared before I could take a photo, but I'll add a photo to the post the next time I make the pie. Which is pretty soon :naughty:

om nom nom nom that sounds so good! I should convince my mum to make that one day :licks_lips:

Google told me this recipe is called "rice pudding" in english, but in spanish it is "arroz con leche" or "rice with milk". I LOVE it, my grandmother always makes it. I hope the translation is good :aah:

INGREDIENTS:

◦ 1 / 2 Kg Rice

◦ 1 / 2 Kg Sugar

◦ 2 liters of milk

◦ Cinnamon stick

◦ ground cinnamon

◦ lemon rind

PREPARATION:

First wash the rice and put the fire with half a glass of water. It gives the rice a few laps until it consumes the water and add a quart of milk, cinnamon stick and lemon rind. It is left to be done for 5 minutes.

Then add half the sugar and stirring continues to simmer for 15 minutes. After this time, add 1 / 3 liter of milk and let it be done over high heat for 10 minutes.

We took a little more sugar, stir and add another third of milk. You have to let the rice is done about 20 minutes but always watching it does not stick. Then added back into the milk and sugar and let it do 10 minutes.

Remove rice from heat, remove the lemon rind and cinnamon and place in a bowl. To decorate, you can sprinkle the rice pudding with cinnamon.

Recommendation: Before serving, let stand.

For it be thicker, you can add a bit of cornstarch.

(I LOVE sweet things, so I like to add a bit of condensed milk in it at the end :naughty: and u can add whatever you like, like raisins or something. I like it warm, but you can also eat it cold.)

and it should look like this:

800px-Arros_amb_llet.jpg

arrozcleche.gif?receta=ARROZ

Google told me this recipe is called "rice pudding" in english, but in spanish it is "arroz con leche" or "rice with milk". I LOVE it, my grandmother always makes it. I hope the translation is good :aah:

INGREDIENTS:

◦ 1 / 2 Kg Rice

◦ 1 / 2 Kg Sugar

◦ 2 liters of milk

◦ Cinnamon stick

◦ ground cinnamon

◦ lemon rind

PREPARATION:

First wash the rice and put the fire with half a glass of water. It gives the rice a few laps until it consumes the water and add a quart of milk, cinnamon stick and lemon rind. It is left to be done for 5 minutes.

Then add half the sugar and stirring continues to simmer for 15 minutes. After this time, add 1 / 3 liter of milk and let it be done over high heat for 10 minutes.

We took a little more sugar, stir and add another third of milk. You have to let the rice is done about 20 minutes but always watching it does not stick. Then added back into the milk and sugar and let it do 10 minutes.

Remove rice from heat, remove the lemon rind and cinnamon and place in a bowl. To decorate, you can sprinkle the rice pudding with cinnamon.

(I LOVE sweet things, so I like to add a bit of condensed milk in it at the end :naughty: and u can add whatever you like, like raisins or something. I like it warm, but you can also eat it cold.)

800px-Arros_amb_llet.jpg

And in portuguese "arroz doce" (sweet rice) :biggrin2:

the Holidays are coming soon.... it would be nice to read recipes from around the world :wub2:

I'm not too good in translating recipes.:teehee: But I'm good at stalking, and stealing some, :mf_rosetinted: so I'll subscribe to this lovely, yummy thread. :thumb_yello:

In Indonesia, we call it "Bubur".

But, the taste is more spicy because we don't add sugar, milk, even cinnamon.

We add salt, pepper, pea, and chicken chopped.

We usually having it as breakfast.

But, I will try the sweet pudding rice.

I think it will be nice

What you need is:

For the pastry

180 g all-purpose flour

85 g caster sugar

1 small egg

For the topping

50 g butter

150 g marzipan

1 tsp all-purpose flour

juice of 1 lime

4 big apples

25 g sliced almonds

The pie disappeared before I could take a photo, but I'll add a photo to the post the next time I make the pie. Which is pretty soon :naughty:

ooooh that sounds so good! Thank you for sharing! it must be good if it was all eaten before you could take a picture :roftl:

INGREDIENTS:

◦ 1 / 2 Kg Rice

◦ 1 / 2 Kg Sugar

◦ 2 liters of milk

◦ Cinnamon stick

◦ ground cinnamon

◦ lemon rind

PREPARATION:

oh my mom used to make rice pudding when i was little! i have never made it!

Thanks! :flowers2:

But, the taste is more spicy because we don't add sugar, milk, even cinnamon.

We add salt, pepper, pea, and chicken chopped.

We usually having it as breakfast.

But, I will try the sweet pudding rice.

I think it will be nice

you have rice for breakfast? i didn't know that! i love learning new things on MFC! :blush-anim-cl:

i could have rice for breakfast, dinner & supper! i love it! :wub2:

It's a quite common sweet in my country. We call it sutlijaš (pron. sutliash) and it's a Turkish specialty. We add cinnamon powder, and sometimes raisins or some other dried fruit. It's yummy.:thumb_yello:

you have rice for breakfast? i didn't know that! i love learning new things on MFC! :blush-anim-cl:

Yes, we have rice for the whole day. Maybe it's because our country produces more rice.

But, sometimes I eat bread for breakfast :teehee:

I will post the traditional recipe from my country later. It takes hours to serve it. Spicy meat mixed with coconut, we call it Rendang.

Yes, we have rice for the whole day. Maybe it's because our country produces more rice.

I will post the traditional recipe from my country later. It takes hours to serve it. Spicy meat mixed with coconut, we call it Rendang.

my brother in law worked in Indonesia for many years... i bet he knows all about it. he is now working in Egypt. :blush-anim-cl:

ooooh that sounds so good! Thank you for sharing! it must be good if it was all eaten before you could take a picture :roftl:

oh my mom used to make rice pudding when i was little! i have never made it!

Thanks! :flowers2:

One of the most traditional food here is called gallo pinto, it is basically rice+beans+condiments :aah: people here eat it the hole day

It's a quite common sweet in my country. We call it sutlijaš (pron. sutliash) and it's a Turkish specialty. We add cinnamon powder, and sometimes raisins or some other dried fruit. It's yummy.:thumb_yello:

In danish Risengrød! Lol

:thumb_yello:

Hi, was just lurking, but wanted to say I just love the Indonesian kitchen!

INGREDIENTS:

◦ 1 / 2 Kg Rice

◦ 1 / 2 Kg Sugar

◦ 2 liters of milk

◦ Cinnamon stick

◦ ground cinnamon

◦ lemon rind

PREPARATION:

800px-Arros_amb_llet.jpg

Thank you FerSigaran :flowers2:

Riz au lait in France

Can be done with chocolate milk instead of plain milk.. the kids really like it :licks_lips:

You can also cook the same kind of pudding with semolina and vanilla bean infused in the milk :thumb_yello:

IMAG0046.jpg

my brother in law worked in Indonesia for many years... i bet he knows all about it. he is now working in Egypt. :blush-anim-cl:

wow, your brother in law has great job. he has traveled around the world :aah:

Hi, was just lurking, but wanted to say I just love the Indonesian kitchen!

Hi, i was just lurking, too, but i wanted to say i love worldwide kitchen!!! :lmao:

Hi, i was just lurking, too. but i wanted to say i love MFC kitchen! :mf_rosetinted: