MIKA @ Le Poisson Rouge, NY - June 23 2009 - reports, photos and videos

guylainem123

maybe he was trying to remember the correct latitude and longitude grid references of New York...

he trays to be a precise geographer and he want to locate the flag like a GPS system :cool:

You could be right there, I hadn't thought of that.

Or maybe questioning if he'd spelt it right!:naughty:

I would think if MS have already made an announcement about him being there, and he himself tweeting Scott Mills saying he'll be there, it's pretty much a safe bet that he'll show.:naughty:

But saying that......

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a nervous flyer to start with but yes I care even less about dying AFTER the gig is over. :roftl:

Kath I'm glad at least your toothache held off until after the gig as well. Hope you're all better soon!

I love that Mika's so into the flag thing. Well done to Rose and everyone who's transported it and signed it. :thumb_yello:

Thank you:wink2:

It was fun playing vitual chess with peoples names who were going to whichever gig in whatever country.

I'm just grateful to everyone who kindly offered to get it to the shows, big pat on the back to all of you:thumb_yello:

I was REALLY happy that Kath got it to NYC for us, and Mika signing it every single time, totally unexpected, but so cool that he did, thank you big guy :wink2:

I am not a nervous flyer to start with but yes I care even less about dying AFTER the gig is over. :roftl:

Kath I'm glad at least your toothache held off until after the gig as well. Hope you're all better soon!

I love that Mika's so into the flag thing. Well done to Rose and everyone who's transported it and signed it. :thumb_yello:

Thanks Christine.

Yes indeed. Mind you, I don't blame him...........I love the flag too.

And speaking of the devil........................

I would think if MS have already made an announcement about him being there, and he himself tweeting Scott Mills saying he'll be there, it's pretty much a safe bet that he'll show.:naughty:

But saying that......

MMM good point Rose.....although I don't really think that was his intention:naughty: As I said, T'would have been good if I had actually asked him but given that I didn't even read it....I just said thank you and ran:naughty:

But saying that......

Yes, I agree, which is why I found the Paris story confusing as hell. Maybe it was for Bestival that they said??? It was def one of the ones that Mikasounds have announced in any case, and it was announced on MS before he said that to the people in Paris, which is why I don't quite get it. As usual, nothing makes sense :blink:.

Which one is Latitude? The 16 July one?

Thank you:wink2:

It was fun playing vitual chess with peoples names who were going to whichever gig in whatever country.

I'm just grateful to everyone who kindly offered to get it to the shows, big pat on the back to all of you:thumb_yello:

I was REALLY happy that Kath got it to NYC for us, and Mika signing it every single time, totally unexpected, but so cool that he did, thank you big guy :wink2:

Well, it was tough work but someones got to do it:naughty::roftl:

Yes, I agree, which is why I found the Paris story confusing as hell. Maybe it was for Bestival that they said??? It was def one of the ones that Mikasounds have announced in any case, and it was announced on MS before he said that to the people in Paris, which is why I don't quite get it. As usual, nothing makes sense :blink:.

Yes.

I suppose we could always tweet him to ask what he meant by it.

I know he usually ignores such questions but one never knows

Could I just say btw....in a desperate half attempt to bring this thread back on topic:naughty: How amazed I was at the gig how many people aproached me to say hello.:wub2: The MFC family just gets bigger and better. It really seemed quite surreal that so many people that I was meeting in NYC knew who I was:shocked:

You know what, I think it was indeed Bestival that he told the French girls he might not make it to because of other, non-gig commitments in Germany. But yes, you're right that it was one of the two festivals already on Mikasounds.

The thing about these festivals is that they're always, always going to be a crapshoot. If Mika's not feeling well/is busy/is double-booked, pulling out of a festival appearance is a lot easier than cancelling one of his own gigs.

*dons mod hat*

Okay, back to the topic at hand, the NYC gig...

His sash thing fell off and he nearly tripped over it before tossing it toward the back of the stage. :naughty:

Oh, and here's my short but sweet, 20-second stage invasion video. I'm taking this from the back of the stage, behind the piano, and Mika is in front of me. :teehee:

Edited by lollipop_monkey

Thanks Christine.

Yes indeed. Mind you, I don't blame him...........I love the flag too.

And speaking of the devil........................

MMM good point Rose.....although I don't really think that was his intention:naughty: As I said, T'would have been good if I had actually asked him but given that I didn't even read it....I just said thank you and ran:naughty:

Excuse me for quoting myself, but I do believe that as an Oldling, one can be excused such behaviour:naughty: But having read this back I don't think I made myslef clear that I was agreeing with Christine about thankng Rose...it looks as though I am just agreeing with the bit about Mika. I didn't mean that....I am grateful to Rose too........it ws a great idea which has really taken on a life of it's own now that Mika has become so involved.

Oh, and here's my short but sweet, 20-second stage invasion video. I'm taking this from the back of the stage, behind the piano, and Mika is in front of me. :teehee:

That's so funny. You would never know that clip was taken from the stage and not in front of it. Just total chaos. :naughty:

Oh, something that I wanted to touch on regarding the NY gig as well.

People have commented on how well the queue management worked, with the system that we used in the euro gigs with the numbers and team Mika/venue helping out with policing it, and it is true, it worked really well.

We're very lucky that Team Mika (mainly John started owning it to help us out) have embraced it, and have then relayed the terms to the venues, who have gladly cooperated, so that things have worked out for us, but I wanted to point out that this has not been achieved without a LOT of hard work by a number of us.

We had people taking care of the list, ensuring that anyone who turned up got a number and an explanation of how things worked, then a lot of speaking to the security in order to decide details of issues that we were foreseeing based on previous experience, and, especially, a LOT of hard work when it came to the dreaded 'last hour before doors open' situation downstairs.

It was absolute mayhem, and some of us had to be quite forceful with some people who refused to abide by the rules and kept defying the system, with one or two people even openly swearing and shouting at us (me in this specific NY case) when I -politely- explained that they needed to move back (from the door to go into the concert room, where they were perched!!) so that we could organise ourselves properly in the right order, and they were like 30 numbers behind the people that they were trying to cut ahead of, and that these people had been there all day (and night some).

Anyway, I just wanted to mention it, because it's not like these things happen by sheer luck or chance: they happen because we stick together, take control of the situation, and are firmly managing it so that everyone gets a fair deal.

I guess that this was obvious to some (ie, the ones involved in the drama :roftl:) but I felt the need to clarify it for the ones who may not realise that it does take a lot of work, that we do have to deal with these situations with a nice but firm hand, and that it really is a team effort in which we all need to make sure that everyone follows the system.

The more people who are 'in' it, and trying to enforce it, the better it will work, and the more obvious the queue jumpers and disrespectful ones will be, hence they won't be able to get away with it.

In an ideal world, Mika would just do gigs where we get allocated spots, but whenever we have to deal with this GA business, this is where organisation is essential, and I think that everyone should take responsability in a way.

You know what, I think it was indeed Bestival that he told the French girls he might not make it to because of other, non-gig commitments in Germany. But yes, you're right that it was one of the two festivals already on Mikasounds.

The thing about these festivals is that they're always, always going to be a crapshoot. If Mika's not feeling well/is busy/is double-booked, pulling out of a festival appearance is a lot easier than cancelling one of his own gigs.

*dons mod hat*

His sash thing fell off and he nearly tripped over it before tossing it toward the back of the stage. :naughty:

Non-gig commitments in Germany? Such as?

Ahh, I know. :teehee: It's going to be my living room gig. :biggrin2:

But that would actually be a gig commitment. :blink:

Argh :aah:

Thanks for your reports btw. Lovely! :wub2:

That's so funny. You would never know that clip was taken from the stage and not in front of it. Just total chaos. :naughty:

It is chaos indeed :roftl:. I was filming Love Today and just carried on filming once I got on stage, so mine will be very similar to Mana's, as we were around the same area (back of stage), just that mine is longer, that's all.

I am definitely posting them tonight and the rest that I can't manage to, tomorrow.

Oh, something that I wanted to touch on regarding the NY gig as well.

People have commented on how well the queue management worked, with the system that we used in the euro gigs with the numbers and team Mika/venue helping out with policing it, and it is true, it worked really well.

We're very lucky that Team Mika (mainly John started owning it to help us out) have embraced it, and have then relayed the terms to the venues, who have gladly cooperated, so that things have worked out for us, but I wanted to point out that this has not been achieved without a LOT of hard work by a number of us.

We had people taking care of the list, ensuring that anyone who turned up got a number and an explanation of how things worked, then a lot of speaking to the security in order to decide details of issues that we were foreseeing based on previous experience, and, especially, a LOT of hard work when it came to the dreaded 'last hour before doors open' situation downstairs.

It was absolute mayhem, and some of us had to be quite forceful with some people who refused to abide by the rules and kept defying the system, with one or two people even openly swearing and shouting at us (me in this specific NY case) when I -politely- explained that they needed to move back (from the door to go into the concert room, where they were perched!!) so that we could organise ourselves properly in the right order, and they were like 30 numbers behind the people that they were trying to cut ahead of, and that these people had been there all day (and night some).

Anyway, I just wanted to mention it, because it's not like these things happen by sheer luck or chance: they happen because we stick together, take control of the situation, and are firmly managing it so that everyone gets a fair deal.

I guess that this was obvious to some (ie, the ones involved in the drama :roftl:) but I felt the need to clarify it for the ones who may not realise that it does take a lot of work, that we do have to deal with these situations with a nice but firm hand, and that it really is a team effort in which we all need to make sure that everyone follows the system.

The more people who are 'in' it, and trying to enforce it, the better it will work, and the more obvious the queue jumpers and disrespectful ones will be, hence they won't be able to get away with it.

In an ideal world, Mika would just do gigs where we get allocated spots, but whenever we have to deal with this GA business, this is where organisation is essential, and I think that everyone should take responsability in a way.

Yes. Absolutly. A lot of hard work ahs been put in on this tour. I totally agree however though with your last paragraph. The gigs (like SW and Paris) where one could stroll up at a reasonable hour....maybe having spent some time socializing with friends................and be sure of getting ones allocated space were an absolute dream.:wub2:

*dons mod hat*

Thank you for the video!:huglove:

I see me:naughty:

Do you know if there were any pictures taken?

Robertina's queue system in Milan was almost perfect and she did a great job :bow:

and she sacrificed herself because, finally, she was not in the front rows :thumb_yello:

It was the exact same system in New York, the only difference being, in NY there were a few assholes who decided that they would try their luck, and we didn't get any of those in Milan. Same as in Berlin: some people were chancers. For some reason, in Milan they were a lot better behaved than in the other places.

But I totally agree about Robertina, she did a stellar job and it did sadden me that she ended up at the back. She should have had a spot saved in the position that corresponded to her order of arrival :blink:.

I think the need for the queue organization depends on the venue. It wasn't needed at the Kool Haus for instance. But Jack had warned me about Le Poisson Rouge's policy of leading people into the bar area before the gig where the queue order became entirely useless so we knew that the numbering system would be critical.

Much thanks to Standard Toaster who worked tirelessly with the security to get them to assist and for Holly and Lucy who laid the groundwork the night before by developing a rapport with the staff at the venue.

I am SO glad that security abided the numbering as we went through the doors as I was worried the MFCers behind me were going to get shafted as the chancers surrounding us were trying to squeeze their way in on the pretext of having nowhere else to go. From all accounts they were allowed in in the proper order and I saw all the queuers had great spots at the front. :thumb_yello:

GOT HOME just now . . . .

. . . have not slept SINCE Sunday (for 3 hours) . . . . still no sleep yet today - and although I TRULY thought earlierI would just pass right out - suprisingly I am NOT tired at all right now . . . adreneline HAS got to be the MOST powerful thing in the world.

. . . LUCY - you will be glad to know that I have stopped crying! I can't beleive how I felt last night, I was expecting it - BUT, not like that!

I now KNOW the answer to that burning question (without HESITATION or a doubt) . . . If Mika and Rufus were doing a show on the same day WHO would you go see . . . I HONESTLY was torn and could not answer that truthfully before - EVERYTHING changed last night. I KNOW that Rufus is NOT number 1 - Mika is and always has been . . . and will be FOREVER!

I will do my official report - as soon as I have everything ready. In fact I need to find the words - because at this point the words are the hardest thing to find. As if that was NOT the MOST amazing show I have ever dreamed of - Mika just sealed the whole deal for me after the show . . .

(his family must have thought I was a CRAZY fan, to see my crying!) :teehee:

Well, tears are something you (at least I) cannot hold - and the harder you try to hold them, the more they flow - so, I don't try to restrain them. :naughty:

I really thought nothing could ever be BETTER then Terminal 5 (to me) but, if I am honest with myself Terminal 5 . . . didn't hold a candle to last night! :swoon:

Hi, there :huglove: !

Cheers,

Id3

I think the need for the queue organization depends on the venue. It wasn't needed at the Kool Haus for instance. But Jack had warned me about Le Poisson Rouge's policy of leading people into the bar area before the gig where the queue order became entirely useless so we knew that the numbering system would be critical.

Much thanks to Standard Toaster who worked tirelessly with the security to get them to assist and for Holly and Lucy who laid the groundwork the night before by developing a rapport with the staff at the venue.

I am SO glad that security abided the numbering as we went through the doors as I was worried the MFCers behind me were going to get shafted as the chancers surrounding us were trying to squeeze their way in on the pretext of having nowhere else to go. From all accounts they were allowed in in the proper order and I saw all the queuers had great spots at the front. :thumb_yello:

It's a mix of both, I find. Of course in cases like LPR, where they put the first 150 people into the tiny bar, it will always be a problem, but in other places where people are expected to form a 'regular' queue (like the venue in Berlin for example), it also boils down to the type of people who turn up.

Berlin was horrendous. Once they started moving things at the door, people who had arrived around 5 or 6 pm decided to stand there blocking everything, and were refusing to move when asked to.

It was similar to the situation at the bar in NY, with tons of people piled up, and with many bluntly saying that they were refusing to move and that was that.

If security (and John) hadn't been in it with us, and had kept shouting that they would check the names and the numbers, it would have been terrible. These people were physically pushing in, and not going anywhere.

So yes, certain venues will be a problem from the word go, just based on layout and procedures, but others will be variable depending on the type of people who are there.

In Milan we had a similar setup to NY in a way, in the sense that we all entered the foyer and then had to queue for the inside door again, and people were very different. They were respectful, and nobody tried to jump the queue or defy anyone. I didn't hear any swearing or aggressive behaviour either, which was not the case in NY (as I would know, having been targetted myself :naughty::roftl:)